ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Do you have a “second team?”

Radio Zero

All-Big Ten
Dec 9, 2019
Yoknapatawpha County
You know, another school you follow for whatever reason: not living in Big Ten country, feeling of moral obligation, need to further fill the constricted intellectual horizon with which you live, etc.?

Here’s mine.

PURDUE, men’s basketball and football. My wife is an alum and relies on me to keep her informed. Also, my son is good at math and hot to attend someday.

WABASH, football. I derive a certain strange satisfaction from knowing everyone on the field is literate.

Shoot me.

You know, another school you follow for whatever reason: not living in Big Ten country, feeling of moral obligation, need to further fill the constricted intellectual horizon with which you live, etc.?

Here’s mine.

PURDUE, men’s basketball and football. My wife is an alum and relies on me to keep her informed. Also, my son is good at math and hot to attend someday.

WABASH, football. I derive a certain strange satisfaction from knowing everyone on the field is literate.

Shoot me.
Belmont, St Mary's, Davidson ... at times I add other mid majors.

UNC (since I was very young) and until recently Gonzaga.

Other than IU, I follow Butler and IUPUI somewhat. Follow Butler since one of my grandfathers played for Hinkle, and my cousin played at IUPUI with George Hill. Also, sometimes follow Vincennes Juco bball, since I went there when Carl Landry played. Tried to convince him to flip to IU but we already had DJ White!

Should have known you were a UNC fan. Nearly 100% of UNC fans I know are (fill in the blank)

I wouldn't say fan .. don't care if they win or lose but I enjoy watching them play. They've always played a style of basketball that's fluid and enjoyable to watch... Much better than the sleep inducing tackle basketball that Purdue, Wisconsin, MSU, Rutgers and OSU plays ..

Last edited:
I wouldn't say fan .. don't care if they win or lose but I enjoy watching them play. They've always played a style of basketball that's fluid and enjoyable to watch... Much better than the sleep inducing tackle basketball that Purdue, Wisconsin, MSU, Rutgers and OSU plays ..
Where I live there are so many damned bandwagon UNC / Duke fans I could puke. Especially since they conveniently root for UGA/Bama/Clemson in FB

I kinda liked Maryland until they joined the BIG.
Yea especially how they trolled Duke. No one did it better ..

Also, the one Maryland student who documented Duke's charge/block call discrepancy on film, which actually had an impact, probably did all of the NCAA a huge favor.

In the mid late 90's that was some bullshit watching them get all those charge calls in their favor.

Here’s mine.

Shoot me.
I grew up a Notre Dame football fan as my family has had season tickets since I was born. I became an IU fan when I enrolled.

My wife is a Purdue fan/alum, and it’s the worst thing about her. I will never cheer for them even for her sake.

I’m also a U.L. grad school alum. I got to watch Lancaster Gordon, Scooter, and Rodney McCray play for Dennie Crum. Beer was sold at off-campus Freedom Hall home games.

Currently:

Butler, paid for three degrees there and love Hinkle
Davidson, as I had a Kid that went there
Princeton, family ties
ND, Kid that went there post grad, but they are a struggle to like.
Taylor, many BB camps as a kid.

Here’s mine.

Shoot me.
I follow Purdue faithfully, too.

In season, I check scores every chance I get, just to see if Purdue lost. In the off-season, I check the arrest records for West Lafayette.

I follow Purdue faithfully, too.

In season, I check scores every chance I get, just to see if Purdue lost. In the off-season, I check the arrest records for West Lafayette.
I spend a lot of time on mycase.in.gov, too. It’s one of the best tools for keeping track of the comings and goings in my neighborhood.

Being from New Castle, I follow the local kids and wherever they are.

Luke Bumbalough - Ball State

Mason Gillis - Purdue (I hope he scores 20 points but they lose every game)

Cameron Tabor - Davidson women

Bryant McIntosh - Northwestern (assistant coach)

Northwestern. Met my wife when she attended and also worked there. Lived in Evanston and the north side of Chicago for many years. We were season ticket holders for most of the 90’s, well before they got good in football, then when they did get good. Went to the Rose Bowl. Great time. Wish it would’ve be with IU though. I’m afraid that won’t happen in my lifetime as I’m getting old.

Being from New Castle, I follow the local kids and wherever they are.

Luke Bumbalough - Ball State

Mason Gillis - Purdue (I hope he scores 20 points but they lose every game)

Cameron Tabor - Davidson women

Bryant McIntosh - Northwestern (assistant coach)
Pretty good write up of Gillis.

Northwestern. Met my wife when she attended and also worked there. Lived in Evanston and the north side of Chicago for many years. We were season ticket holders for most of the 90’s, well before they got good in football, then when they did get good. Went to the Rose Bowl. Great time. Wish it would’ve be with IU though. I’m afraid that won’t happen in my lifetime as I’m getting old.
Speaking of NW, will Barnhizer play this season at all? His dad was my high schools coach for years!

Here’s mine.

Shoot me.
I follow UE, but my interest in their athletic programs have fallen off steadily over the years. I am hoping Coach Ragland can bring the program back. I am excited about USI becoming DI and joining the OVC. My son works for USI along with many other local college and professional teams. Even though he didn't get Chuck Crabbe's job, he works for his alma mater in a similar role at the D1 level for the first time

Todd Franklin and his family at Vincennes were good friends of my dad, so I try to keep track of their seasons but especially when my cousin was an assistant coach there.

Here’s mine.

Shoot me.
I don't follow another college team and I don't follow any professional teams. None. Zero. Zilch.

I do watch a ton of SEC football. It's good football.
I do watch a ton of B1G basketball.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Here’s mine.

Shoot me.
Since Nick Saban has been at Alabama I tend to root for them only because I like the way they play and how the team is run.
I also follow whatever team Luke Brown plays for. At the moment I don't know what that is but when I find out I will root.

Graduated from ISU after my stint in the Marines, so I follow them closely. Have season tickets for the Sycamores cause I can't afford the Hoosiers, so far anyway. Was tough watching them play each other over the last 20 years or so.

I’m a Sycamore, so it’s Indiana State first. My wife is an IU alum and I have followed IU basketball since the mid-late 70s, so I am an avid Hoosier fan also. I live in Iowa City and have two kids that are Hawkeyes, so I follow Iowa too.

I will cheer for all Indiana teams to some degree because it’s hard to hear about everything Hawkeye all day every day…

Go Trees!

In any given game I can usually find someone to root for, unfortunately sometimes (often) it’s just a case of who I want to root against less.

Teams that have a reason to root for;

Gonzaga (spouse went there)

MSU both parents went there. I find this particularly challenging as I’m not crazy about their style, and they are good (always easier to root for the underdog). My dad roomed with many football players there, and an all big ten basketball player that played in the NFL (he played HS football, but only basketball at State). He once told me (1990s) that modern basketball had turned into wrestling. Interesting coming from someone that shared a practice field with all pro linemen.

I have to pretend to support the Jayhawks because my wife is an alum/fan. I actually could like them if they didn't bend every compliance rule in the book because Bill Self may be the best coach in college basketball.

If Chris Beard was anywhere but Texas I'd probably like that school because I like his coaching. But I just can't root for Texas.

Reactions: Radio Zero
UofL is my second team. Live in Southern Indiana. Grew up going to a fair amount of IU and UofL games every year.

I do follow/root for Xavier for various reasons. And then I follow teams of kids that my son played with it against.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT