ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Bloomington trip

Haven't been up there for probably 10 years, but DC traffic is a beast too!
I don't know how people can afford $20-$30/day in those new express toll lanes on the Beltway. But yeah, years ago I sat in a car at the Dulles toll road/beltway interchange and literally did not move 100 feet in an hour. I-95 south from the beltway down towards Quantico, from 3pm-6pm every work day, is ridiculous. Greater DC traffic is all about knowing where NOT to be at certain times of the day.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Haven't been up there for probably 10 years, but DC traffic is a beast too!
Been to both in the past 2 years. ATL is getting worse. Coworker has to drive thru a few times a week. He will go at 10pm on a Tuesday sometimes. Bumper to bumper…..

Been to both in the past 2 years. ATL is getting worse. Coworker has to drive thru a few times a week. He will go at 10pm on a Tuesday sometimes. Bumper to bumper…..
yep I agree. I go to DC twenty times a year. Traffic is bad, actually improved some over the past years with some new options, etc...plus I know where and when to avoid certain bottlenecks. I hit ATL once a year and no matter how many lanes they expand the major routes, it just gets worse. Still, some of the northern burbs (Marietta, Kennesaw ) are very nice places to live. Just don't drive south every morning for work.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Atlanta traffic is the worst in the country. Not close.
Houston says hold my beer. While we’re having the discussion, LA, and DC would also need someone to hold their beer. Lived in H town for 8 years. LA for 2 years and regularly travel DC. No doubt about it, I avoid ATL traffic like the plague. But Houston is worse IMO. Same with LA. DC belt line is a nightmare too.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Houston says hold my beer. While we’re having the discussion, LA, and DC would also need someone to hold their beer. Lived in H town for 8 years. LA for 2 years and regularly travel DC. No doubt about it, I avoid ATL traffic like the plague. But Houston is worse IMO. Same with LA. DC belt line is a nightmare too.
Sons best friend came/moved from LA. LA is probably horrible. We went to Indy on Monday and 465 west to 65/70/74 is bad. The 70 split was the worst I’ve seen it in 20 years. We just went through town instead. We did eat at a place in Tarkington park called hoagies and hops. The beer and cheesesteaks were great. Found it driving around in between doctor appointments for my wife.

yep I've used a similar one, 394 south then off Exchange Rd east, zig zap in the country to rt 231 into Crown Point and back onto 65. Chose against it both times, chose badly both times.

Saturday return trip- Wayz had us get off on Ridge Rd over to Cline so my son got to see some of Americana he doesn't see much...south Gary. The land that time forgot.
I am from the south suburbs so south Gary wasn’t that unusual. We took that route coming back from Indy and my Napervillle born and raised daughter was where in the hell are we.

I am from the south suburbs so south Gary wasn’t that unusual. We took that route coming back from Indy and my Napervillle born and raised daughter was where in the hell are we.
yep, I was born in E Chicago, first 5 yrs in Griffith, have generations of extended family still in oil town Whiting, but our kids have been raised in St Charles with the iphone/Range Rover generation....it's good for them to see just how good a life they've been given out here. At least, that's my old grumpy-man approach to the subject. My brother & family are in Naperville...same thing. The world is much bigger than Kane and DuPage Cty, IL.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
yep, I was born in E Chicago, first 5 yrs in Griffith, have generations of extended family still in oil town Whiting, but our kids have been raised in St Charles with the iphone/Range Rover generation....it's good for them to see just how good a life they've been given out here. At least, that's my old grumpy-man approach to the subject. My brother & family are in Naperville...same thing. The world is much bigger than Kane and DuPage Cty, IL.
My wife is a Bishop Noll grad whose dad worked most of his life at the refinery. . There is a good chance we crossed paths at one time.

My wife is a Bishop Noll grad whose dad worked most of his life at the refinery. . There is a good chance we crossed paths at one time.
probably so. My grandfather and several uncles/second cousins all worked at LTV/USS or or Inland Steel and my uncle spent his entire career at Maizo/Lever.... btw...cannot believe how big Pierogi Fest has become...my aunt used to cook truckloads for the fest. She would make some special ones for me for family Christmas dinner- pierogis stuffed with mashed potatoes and kraut. Damn I'm getting hungry now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT