ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone here undergone knee replacement surgery?

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
I am getting it done on April 8th (eclipse day). I have grade 4 osteoarthritis in my right knee (essentially bone-on-bone, grades are 0-5, 5 being the worst). I'm paying, in my early 60s, for too many long Saturdays playing hoops I guess. I have needed it for years so I finally set it up and insurance has approved it. My left knee is grade 2, so it doesn't qualify, yet.

These days the recovery seems to be accelerated: you are supposed to be walking within 24 hours, using a walker for ~2 weeks, a cane for ~2 weeks more, back to work walking unassisted in ~4 weeks, and then hopefully cleared for all activity including biking and hiking by 6 weeks. My doc does a lot of them (FL is great for old people medicine!) and uses robotics to assist. I think I get good pain meds for about 2 weeks, although opioids make me really nauseous.

I know that physical therapy, every single day, is essential.

I'm kind of nervous, though, about getting my leg chopped on. My knee hurts all of the time, but I can still ride a bike (1300 miles last year) and travel. I can't climb stairs well and standing for >5 minutes is a real problem (though a long walk is not as bad). I walk like Joe Biden or like Trump on a ramp, so maybe indeed it is time!

Any tips would be appreciated.

I am getting it done on April 8th (eclipse day). I have grade 4 osteoarthritis in my right knee (essentially bone-on-bone, grades are 0-5, 5 being the worst). I'm paying, in my early 60s, for too many long Saturdays playing hoops I guess. I have needed it for years so I finally set it up and insurance has approved it. My left knee is grade 2, so it doesn't qualify, yet.

These days the recovery seems to be accelerated: you are supposed to be walking within 24 hours, using a walker for ~2 weeks, a cane for ~2 weeks more, back to work walking unassisted in ~4 weeks, and then hopefully cleared for all activity including biking and hiking by 6 weeks. My doc does a lot of them (FL is great for old people medicine!) and uses robotics to assist. I think I get good pain meds for about 2 weeks, although opioids make me really nauseous.

I'm kind of nervous, though, about getting my leg chopped on. My knee hurts all of the time, but I can still ride a bike (1300 miles last year) and travel. I can't climb stairs well and standing for >5 minutes is a real problem (though a long walk is not as bad). I walk like Joe Biden or like Trump on a ramp, so maybe indeed it is time!

@Univee2.

Reactions: Lucy01

Have two older soccer buds who have done replacements in the last year. One both knees. I was amazed by the speed of their recoveries. You’ll be glad you did it

My mother has had both knees replaced. It sounds as if you are in a lot better shape than she was. Make sure you have several ice packs ready to go. Pain meds before bed and before therapy.

Reactions: outside shooter

Right knee done late January, 2023. Left knee done 12/12/23. Two in one year, so essentially BOGO free.

More recent knee is looser/better. Surprised my surgeon as he said the Osteoarthritis in the left/recent knee was worse. Used a walker the first couple of nights, to go to the bathroom. Used a cane for a couple of weeks. After that, I’d have it with me in order to get people to get up and give me their seat at a bar.

Every person and every knee is different. My left/recent knee has recovered much more quickly. The right knee, while essentially pain-free, still feels as if there’s a partial hose clamp on it.

No one told me about the tourniquet used for the first surgery. This is where I had the greatest post-operative pain and bruising. Didn’t do the tourniquet for the second, after my complaints, opting for electocautery to staunch blood flow. That helped the pain, as well as a spinal block. Delayed getting through PACU and post-op recovery, though, as couldn’t feel anything for quite a while. And you need to feel something so you can then pee, which is the last thing you’ll be required to do before you’re discharged. They want you up and walking down a hall and then up and down a 5-6 step wood stair model as soon as you get to recovery.

Being serious about the prescribed leg exercises prior to surgery and then following the PT regimen and the home exercises is critical.

But again, have a friend here who has had both knees done. The hospital failed to give him any medications to take home. He called and they said he could come get them. He asked if he could drink if he decided not to use the meds. He was told he could. Thus, the Johnny Walker Black post-op program was born. And the knee healed “a hell of a lot faster than the first.”

The guy who owns the local running store here in my town had both hips replaced and after some rehab, he's out there logging more miles than me. I do know he was pretty strict about physical therapy and did his best not to rush back before he was ready.

Best of luck!

I had both done, went great. Quality of life way up. They really discourage running after which is the biggest annoyance.

Before the surgeries I always had to hold the hand rails on treadmills. My knees were so that I didn't walk/run straight. After, no problem. Now if a knee hurts it is surprising.

My wife has her second at the end of the month, the first had a complication. The normal oxy made her heart rate and BP drop. Somewhere signals got crossed and they prescribed her the weakest of the opioids. It didn't come close to handling the pain. I asked her several times to call the doc, she is stubborn and wouldn't. When she went back 8 weeks later, the doctor was shocked she was on that. He called it basically candy. So she has a direct number this time.

Gamechanging technology. Not sure what insurance coverage is like yet though

Reactions: mcmurtry66
My buddy has had both done over the last two years. The thing he swore by was the leg chiller that constantly runs cold water in a tube up and around the leg that keeps recirculating.
All knees are different. Lot of ice on my first knee. Used heat on the second. Doesn’t necessarily prove anything but the second knee recovery has been far superior.

...Being serious about the prescribed leg exercises prior to surgery and then following the PT regimen and the home exercises is critical.
Hmmm.. I haven't done much pre-op, other than walking as much as possible and biking 100 miles a month (the defined range of motion on a bike doesn't bother me much).

The doc suggested I could start doing PT before, but didn't really emphasize it much. Afterwards I do it daily, though. I'm guessing I'll be OK. I just saw some videos of pre-op exercises to do, so I guess I can get in 10 days worth!

Hmmm.. I haven't done much pre-op, other than walking as much as possible and biking 100 miles a month (the defined range of motion on a bike doesn't bother me much).

The doc suggested I could start doing PT before, but didn't really emphasize it much. Afterwards I do it daily, though. I'm guessing I'll be OK. I just saw some videos of pre-op exercises to do, so I guess I can get in 10 days worth!
Be careful on PT. Mine said, “Don’t overdo it. Rest a day between each therapy day. Too much is as bad, if not worse, than too little.”

That’s what I needed - new shocks and struts.

As my surgeon told me, “your days of catching caught up to you.”

Funny, Doc. Yuk, yuk, yuk. “Don’t quit your day job.”

I hate when docs make comments like that

I might be out of it to watch the Men's championship game, the night after my surgery that morning.

My mother has had both knees replaced. It sounds as if you are in a lot better shape than she was. Make sure you have several ice packs ready to go. Pain meds before bed and before therapy.
Did your mother get them both replaced at the same time or did she do one and then wait to do the other? I've never had them done, but it would seem that getting both done at the same time would be very hard, but worth it.

My dad had one done a few months back. He was much worse than you describe, because it was due to more physical trauma than simply old age. He had to go with a true hinge type joint, because all of the ligaments where totally destroyed (absolutely nothing to hold the knee together).
His recovery was about 2x as long as what you describe (which totally pissed him off), but he's nearly back to "young man" stage now.
Don't fear, ditch the opium for gummies, get after it ! but not much faster than your PT recommends. You'll be fine. Probably. odds are any way, unless you don't believe in odds. Anyway, we are all pulling you, over.

good luck....

don't skimp on your PT afterwards

Were these wear and tear knee issues or was it an accident? Someone once said this and I am seeing it as true more and more, "Getting older is not for sissies".
Osteoarthritis and the gradual loss of cartilage.

good luck....

don't skimp on your PT afterwards

That's the key. Wife has had both done, two years apart. She did all the pre-op exercises and dove into the post-op PT with a vengeance. She still does a lot of work at home and is a fixture at the Y.

She's still got a lot of skeletal-muscular issues, but her knees aren't one of them.

My dad had his done when he was in his mid 60s. Should have had it done sooner and wished after that he would have. The rehab sucks but improved his life a lot after recovery.

Insure your C19 boosters are up to date. Hospitals are literally an incubator for that stuff.

Better safe than sorry.

Get two vax so everyone around you is protected.

My 80yo mom is having it done Thursday. I’ll be up in Toledo for it. But thankfully (for me) she’s spending two weeks in a rehab facility

My 80yo mom is having it done Thursday. I’ll be up in Toledo for it. But thankfully (for me) she’s spending two weeks in a rehab facility

It wasn't that long (maybe five days) but we insisted on the wife going to inpatient rehab for as long as insurance would pay. It was a really smart move all around.

Reactions: Noodle
My insurance wants me home in 24 hours, as far as I can tell. At least if I can stand and I can walk enough to go pee. They do spring for 2 weeks of in-home physical therapist visits, the period where I am not expected to be mobile enough to travel to a rehab facility every day.

Insurance will pay for the walker rental and ice packs, but you can get way better version of each on Amazon for not much money, so I will pass.

Today was my PCP visit to go over labs, take an EKG, chest X-ray, etc. I'm cleared for surgery now! April 8 it is!

Surgeons and hospitals these days want to know they will get paid before they agree to do squat. I'm now paid in full in advance for my "expected contribution" both to the hospital (~1K) and surgeon (~$400). I'm sure there will be other bills, like for the anesthesiologist, some ten dollar jello cups, some 100 dollar tylenols, and other crap.

Think of me getting my legs sawed on while y'all are watching the eclipse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
My insurance wants me home in 24 hours, as far as I can tell. At least if I can stand and I can walk enough to go pee. They do spring for 2 weeks of in-home physical therapist visits, the period where I am not expected to be mobile enough to travel to a rehab facility every day.

Insurance will pay for the walker rental and ice packs, but you can get way better version of each on Amazon for not much money, so I will pass.

Today was my PCP visit to go over labs, take an EKG, chest X-ray, etc. I'm cleared for surgery now! April 8 it is!

Surgeons and hospitals these days want to know they will get paid before they agree do squat. I'm now paid in full in advance for my "expected contribution" both to the hospital (~1K) and surgeon (~$400). I'm sure there will be other bills, like for the anesthesiologist, some ten dollar jello cups, some 100 dollar tylenols, and other crap.

Think of me getting my legs sawed on while y'all are watching the eclipse.

Good luck, you will be up and walking far sooner than you think. For me, only physical therapy was terrible. Just walking around the house wasn't bad at all. Believe them when they say you need to work quickly to get your leg where you want it for extension and flex.

Today is the day....
Make sure they do the correct knee.

Both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist came in the pre-op room and asked me which knee was being done. After I responded correctly they then used a purple marker to write their initials on my thigh, on the appropriate leg.

I asked one of the nurses after they left what would have happened had I been a smartass and said the wrong knee. “Oh, that has happened - some patients also get perturbed being asked their name and date of birth so many times by every medical person coming in your room that they intentionally give a wrong date - and when it does the surgery is canceled so the culprit can get their mind right.” Ouch.

Last edited:
I got out of surgery and into recovery at 5PM. Physical therapy had me taking steps with a walker by 6:30.

So far....not much pain at all, but I am still under the effects of the surgical nerve block.
When that block wears off you'll be in for a surprise. Plow through it and do all the rehab and exercises they give you. If you don't you'll have wasted the whole procedure.

Reactions: Spartans9312
When that block wears off you'll be in for a surprise. Plow through it and do all the rehab and exercises they give you. If you don't you'll have wasted the whole procedure.
Elevate your leg.

Ice.

Compression sock.

Turn around three times on your good leg and say, “POTFB.”

Reactions: UncleMark
When that block wears off you'll be in for a surprise. Plow through it and do all the rehab and exercises they give you.
My pain pills are lined up, for how bad it is or gets, when I get home tomorrow. Tylenol, then Celebrex, then Tramadol (opiod), then Oxy (the big Kahuna opiod).

The pain will get worse if Purdue wins.

Actually my best high school buddy went to Purdue and when we'd meet up, dinner was on the last winner. He unfortunately has passed away so maybe PU has some divine help. Thinking about him helps me deal with Purdue's success.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
My pain pills are lined up, for how bad it is or gets, when I get home tomorrow. Tylenol, then Celebrex, then Tramadol (opiod), then Oxy (the big Kahuna opiod).

The pain will get worse if Purdue wins.

Actually my best high school buddy went to Purdue and when we'd meet up, dinner was on the last winner. He unfortunately has passed away so maybe PU has some divine help. Thinking about him helps me deal with Purdue's success.

Glad they gave you oxy, tramadol is what my wife was on and it didn't work.

Got 25 oxy.

Every 4 to 6 hrs max, so 4-6 days.

Opioids have made me nauseous in the past though. Will try to take with a meal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT