ADVERTISEMENT

OT 6 flip to Minny

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
Just read on line that 6 Western Michigan recruits flipped to Minny today.
Further proof that a good majority of kids commit to the coach as opposed to the school.
It's a dog eat dog profession, that's for sure.

I didn't like Fleck when he was first hired at Western Michigan. There was a story that he told several recruits that he no longer wanted them because he didn't think they were good enough. Then it was too late for them to hook on with anyone else. One was an Indianapolis kid, and that is how the story was portrayed.

I had to wonder why it would have been too much for him to honor the commitments. Just a few players wouldn't have broken his upcoming program.

I would not be surprised if Fleck loses a number of recruits from the old regime.

I didn't like Fleck when he was first hired at Western Michigan. There was a story that he told several recruits that he no longer wanted them because he didn't think they were good enough. Then it was too late for them to hook on with anyone else. One was an Indianapolis kid, and that is how the story was portrayed.

I had to wonder why it would have been too much for him to honor the commitments. Just a few players wouldn't have broken his upcoming program.
One went to UIndy and was a long time starter, I believe all the others eventually ended up at better programs than Western Michigan.
The problem was the Asst AD told all the kids "not to worry", their commitments would be honored and then Fleck never even spoke to any of the commits. He just cut them loose. Carmel, Warren and LC all told WM they were not welcome to recruit their kids anymore. I don't know if that is the case still, since coaches have changed, but I know for certain they were shown the door at one of the schools and told not to come back. They didn't like Flecks style of recruiting. Kevin Wright at Carmel said in the paper, that coach and staff would never be welcome where ever he was coach. Tom Lemming criticized Fleck nationally in publications and on television.

Reactions: CC Mac
One went to UIndy and was a long time starter, I believe all the others eventually ended up at better programs than Western Michigan.
The problem was the Asst AD told all the kids "not to worry", their commitments would be honored and then Fleck never even spoke to any of the commits. He just cut them loose. Carmel, Warren and LC all told WM they were not welcome to recruit their kids anymore. I don't know if that is the case still, since coaches have changed, but I know for certain they were shown the door at one of the schools and told not to come back. They didn't like Flecks style of recruiting. Kevin Wright at Carmel said in the paper, that coach and staff would never be welcome where ever he was coach. Tom Lemming criticized Fleck nationally in publications and on television.

Was/is there anything else about Fleck's recruiting that was unpleasant besides not honoring those offers/commits?

If six flipping to Minnesota is true, it will be interesting if these MAC level recruits are now considered B1G worthy, and/or can play at that level on a consistent basis. It does help that they will be attempting to go to Minnesota, which is not considered already filled with elite talent at this point.

Reactions: IUcolorado
Was/is there anything else about Fleck's recruiting that was unpleasant besides not honoring those offers/commits?
It was my understanding that the kids were trying to contact the coach from day one and the athletic dept was routing calls to someone to "handle it"...... even for the HS coaches, the coach wouldn't talk to them either. They were telling the coaches to tell their kids not to worry, that the coach is interested in having them come up and talk to them. Multiple contacts were tried (as in a dozen or more) and it was crickets...then they got an email from the same asst AD who told them "not to worry", two weeks before signing day, that their commitment would not be honored. Several asked to speak to the coach and they were told, "He doesn't want to speak to you." Pretty crappy way to handle things. The HS coaches felt like they were lied to.
I know one of the kids went back to Ball State, who had also offered, after he got the word, but they said, after he committed to Western, they went and got a player to fill in, even though this kid was the one they really wanted. They said they would honor their commitment to the other kid and not push him out. I think that one eventually landed at Cincinnati, but I'm not sure.

If six flipping to Minnesota is true, it will be interesting if these MAC level recruits are now considered B1G worthy, and/or can play at that level on a consistent basis. It does help that they will be attempting to go to Minnesota, which is not considered already filled with elite talent at this point.
Let's see if they don't pick up an extra star......I saw that happen to a kid who was a 2-star, who got an offer from Texas and lo and behold, he became a 4-star. Still played like a 2-star though.....

Western Michigan went 13-1 and played in the Cotton Bowl.
They beat Northwestern (we couldn't) and Illinois on the road and played Wisky tough.
I'm guessing they would have given many other BIG teams a run for their money. Not trying to stir the pot but also not sure dogging their MAC recruits makes sense. They obviously had some good kids on the team.
Go Hoosiers!
Respectfully,

It was my understanding that the kids were trying to contact the coach from day one and the athletic dept was routing calls to someone to "handle it"...... even for the HS coaches, the coach wouldn't talk to them either. They were telling the coaches to tell their kids not to worry, that the coach is interested in having them come up and talk to them. Multiple contacts were tried (as in a dozen or more) and it was crickets...then they got an email from the same asst AD who told them "not to worry", two weeks before signing day, that their commitment would not be honored. Several asked to speak to the coach and they were told, "He doesn't want to speak to you." Pretty crappy way to handle things. The HS coaches felt like they were lied to.
I know one of the kids went back to Ball State, who had also offered, after he got the word, but they said, after he committed to Western, they went and got a player to fill in, even though this kid was the one they really wanted. They said they would honor their commitment to the other kid and not push him out. I think that one eventually landed at Cincinnati, but I'm not sure.

Found an article about a WMU recruit that committed to Fleck himself then had an injury, and Fleck ended up acting the same way, not even returning a phone call.

I get the feeling with the free for all of decommits from WMU committing to Minny, a couple of the previous Minny commits are likely to have offers pulled, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or 2 guys that just decommitted from WMU get screwed over and have their Minny offer pulled. Seems really sketchy that first day on the job before he really has a chance to evaluate the existing roster and current commits for this years class he starts extending a bunch of offers. Definitely seems like a shoot first, ask questions later type of move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT