ADVERTISEMENT

OSU gets lucky vs Rutgers

IUclover

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2015
Wow. Watched the last 30 seconds. RU misses a FT while up 2 pts and OSU heaves a long 3 at the buzzer to win. I was rooting for RU but now I’m not sure.

They may be assholes, but at least they’ve got some justification for it unlike our friends from Piscataway who toil away in irrelevancy year after year after year. Ask me at the end of the year and I might view it differently. This week? I say f**k em’, and kick em’ while they’re down…
I gotcha **** Buttgers

Even more egregious than that, Tanner Holden was well out of bounds before stepping back in and receiving the ball to make that buzzer beater 3. (Which as a reminder, if you have stepped out of bounds, you can't be the first to receive a pass from the current ball handler).

Even more egregious than that, Tanner Holden was well out of bounds before stepping back in and receiving the ball to make that buzzer beater 3. (Which as a reminder, if you have stepped out of bounds, you can't be the first to receive a pass from the current ball handler).
will the B10 look at the game film and make a correction?
seems warranted.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott

I’ll buy that argument. Egregious is a good word for it.

Reactions: kkott
Gotta love the BT refs. The passer steps out of bounds and the pass recipient is standing out of bounds but gets back on the court to illegally catch the ball and hits the winning shot. Refs totally miss TWO calls in less than 2 seconds. Stunning even by BT ref standards.

The conference is swimming in cash and should pony up for full-time refs.

The fellow dribbling the ball stepped out of bounds, too. I hope the bigten gives rutgers the win.

Does this ever happen?
Well, I remember IU won the their division in fb during the pandemic. Went 5-1 and O$U went 5-0 but the big ten reversed their own ’must play six games’ rule allowing O$U to play the b10 championship game. The big ten can do what they want as they see fit but, no, I doubt they’ll reverse it but I hope so.

I’ll buy that argument. Egregious is a good word for it.
c78ba273-f1da-4143-bd89-cdd902bacdd0_text.gif

;)

• Haha
Reactions: mk30 and kkott
Gotta love the BT refs. The passer steps out of bounds and the pass recipient is standing out of bounds but gets back on the court to illegally catch the ball and hits the winning shot. Refs totally miss TWO calls in less than 2 seconds. Stunning even by BT ref standards.

The conference is swimming in cash and should pony up for full-time refs.
You don’t think they should have no training and work second jobs most of the year? This is college sports, it’s not professional, and there is no money really involved. Not like there are record setting tv deals paying bazillion dollars a year to everyone involved.

You don’t think they should have no training and work second jobs most of the year? This is college sports, it’s not professional, and there is no money really involved. Not like there are record setting tv deals paying bazillion dollars a year to everyone involved.
This was from a CBSsports article with coaches giving off the record comments about refs. Of the 6 major basketball conferences the Big Ten, in spite of having the most money, not surprisingly is number 6 (last) :(

Coaches noted that the ACC has a reputation for being the strongest league, not only with regard to crew chiefs, but crews on the whole. The Big Ten, conversely, has the weakest reputation when compared to the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC.

This was from a CBSsports article with coaches giving off the record comments about refs. Of the 6 major basketball conferences the Big Ten, in spite of having the most money, not surprisingly is number 6 (last) :(

Coaches noted that the ACC has a reputation for being the strongest league, not only with regard to crew chiefs, but crews on the whole. The Big Ten, conversely, has the weakest reputation when compared to the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC.
Wow.........I don't agree that the ball handler was necessarily out of bounds, but the Holder catch was a clear violation. The BT will apologize, the sooner the better, but they won't reverse the call.

This situation is similar to a couple of famous "5th down" series in college football history. But a stronger case for reversal because the clock was essentially out when Holden caught the ball.....so no argument that the game could have played out differently if..........But they still won't reverse the call. 50 years ago, maybe. Not today.

You sure the rule isn't they have to establish themselves in bounds before they can touch the ball...which I think means they have to get both feet in bounds before the ball can be passed to them. There's a somewhat routine inbounds play where a defender steps out of bounds, gets the ball passed to them, and then the passer steps in bounds and gets it passed back to them. That would seem to refute your call...since that person would have came from out of bounds and would be the first person to touch the ball in bounds.

IF I'm right...Holden I think was close. It looked like he might have been mid air jumping in bounds when the pass was made, but his feet might have hit the ground before he caught the ball... The passer did step out of bounds though...fairly obviously. Seems strange, to me, that they wouldn't have had enough sense that something was off, and/or the Rutgers staff wouldn't have seen it and complained enough, that they wouldn't have reviewed that play. Might be they were influenced by the frenzy of OSU fans.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Does this ever happen?
No...at best they'll issue a statement that the call was missed. That almost makes it worse.

If the call was correctly made though...it wouldn't technically imply that Rutgers was the winner. It would have been roughly 1-2 seconds left with Rutgers attempting to inbounds the ball. Likely a Rutgers win, obviously, but they could have had a 5 second call, followed by a 3 point shot by OSU. Or a steal and 3 by OSU, etc...

edited...I mean if they had review it...because they would have found that the passer stepped out of bounds. Which would have given Rutgers the ball with time left on the clock. If they had just reviewed the shot part...not sure if the shooter jumping in bounds is reviewable or not. And I don't think its clear he didn't get the shot off in time.

Last edited:
My understanding is that there was no way to review it since no call was initially made. They could have spent 10 minutes reviewing whether he got the shot off in time, all the while with the footage showing them that he had jumped in from out of bounds to take the shot.

I will admit that I am not a referee, and I have seen the argument both ways on various boards this morning. The "standard inbounds play" mentioned above is a good counter-argument, but that is also an in-bounds play, not a live-ball play, so I am not sure if that makes things different.

Looking at the play frame-by-frame, looks to me like he caught the ball in the air, so it should have been waved off either way.

We have another Jaden Ivey on Rutgers team.

Notice the Carry from one side to the other.

At the :08-:09 mark of the video.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mk30
You sure the rule isn't they have to establish themselves in bounds before they can touch the ball...which I think means they have to get both feet in bounds before the ball can be passed to them. There's a somewhat routine inbounds play where a defender steps out of bounds, gets the ball passed to them, and then the passer steps in bounds and gets it passed back to them. That would seem to refute your call...since that person would have came from out of bounds and would be the first person to touch the ball in bounds.
According to several pundits, I heard last night, when the player came back in bounds he was not legally allowed to then be the first player to receive the ball. It was a bad no-call.

Wow. Watched the last 30 seconds. RU misses a FT while up 2 pts and OSU heaves a long 3 at the buzzer to win. I was rooting for RU but now I’m not sure.
I got lucky at OSU once, does that count? I also got lucky in NJ... I made it out!

will the B10 look at the game film and make a correction?
seems warranted.
Even more egregious that that is this trend of players holding some sort of karate kid crane kick position when they know they missed a f'n free throw. You know you missed, why not go get it first rather than mentally trying to bend it in?

According to several pundits, I heard last night, when the player came back in bounds he was not legally allowed to then be the first player to receive the ball. It was a bad no-call.
You don't need pundits, that is the rule and always has been

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT