ADVERTISEMENT

One thing Cignetti made clear in the press conference....

jsenleo

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2003
He's not going to waste time answering weak-ass stupid questions. Especially, when it's the same question he's already answered.

The media is going to have to step-up their game.... Finally... it's been a while since they've had to deal with a strong personality (RMK)... if they ever have.

He's not going to waste time answering weak-ass stupid questions. Especially, when it's the same question he's already answered.

The media is going to have to step-up their game.... Finally... it's been a while since they've had to deal with a strong personality (RMK)... if they ever have.
I thought the same thing when I watched it

Discipline, accountability and no bullshit are what we need

Loved it then...love it even more now!! Never gets old!!
I want to ask an honest question. If our team this year beat someone by 50 at home (yeah, I know, right?) and then struggled to beat them at their place or even lost, wouldn't you and everyone on this board be asking some questions? Should a reporter be able to ask an honest question about that glaring disparity? It's kind of an obvious observation.

I loved Coach, and sometimes coaches do have to tolerate stupid questions from the media, but can't we admit sometimes he was just an asshole, when all he had to do was be normal and answer a reasonable question? Betcha if Bob Hammel asked him that, he'd have given a different response. I fail to see how Sorensen's question was out of line or uninformed. It wasn't like he was coming after him, or questioning his coaching ability or manhood. Just asking a damn question in a casual interview after practice.

I want to ask an honest question. If our team this year beat someone by 50 at home (yeah, I know, right?) and then struggled to beat them at their place or even lost, wouldn't you and everyone on this board be asking some questions? Should a reporter be able to ask an honest question about that glaring disparity? It's kind of an obvious observation.

I loved Coach, and sometimes coaches do have to tolerate stupid questions from the media, but can't we admit sometimes he was just an asshole, when all he had to do was be normal and answer a reasonable question? Betcha if Bob Hammel asked him that, he'd have given a different response. I fail to see how Sorensen's question was out of line or uninformed. It wasn't like he was coming after him, or questioning his coaching ability or manhood. Just asking a damn question in a casual interview after practice.
He did answer the question in a fair and reasonable way. The problem was Sorenson didn't like the answer and pressed it.

He did answer the question in a fair and reasonable way. The problem was Sorenson didn't like the answer and pressed it.
^^^^^ Exactly ^^^^ RMK gave him his answer...

Sorenson should have known who he was interviewing. He was out of line and uninformed because he hadn't earned Knights respect and Knight wasn't going to let him try to pressure him when he asked the same question to try to get a different response....

From that point on Sorenson was persona non grata with Knight.
Not an ideal situation for an Indianapolis TV sportscaster to be in...

Makes it pretty hard to cover the program well when the coach won't give you an interview.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Seemed to me more like Sorensen didn't listen to the answer, but maybe same difference. He also didnt' seem to realize when Knight walked away that the interview was over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Sounds like coaches don't like being asked the same question over and over again or uninformed questions. Coyle normally has a smart ass tone, and he got put in his place. RMK didn't much care for the media, and you really had to earn his respect.

Time to resurrect this little gem:

“I don’t think the home court has anything to do with it”

Classic Knight, belittle someone for not knowing anything about basketball, but then utter an absolute absurdity and not expect pushback.

Look, most would cut Knight a break for not wanting to acknowledge that home court has something to do with it. His mind**** brand of coaching relied on his players being more afraid of him than an opponent’s home court. But, he didn’t need to act like a complete horse’s ***.

All the interviewer was looking for was, “Home court means a lot in college basketball,”. What he got was an insult for asking a question that everyone on the face of earth knows to be true.

But he won a lot of basketball games, so the interviewer was out of line.

In the real world involving two human beings, an answer with the first few words of "if you knew anything about basketball" is not a reasonable reply. But, agree to disagree.

See, that's where I always had kind of a problem with Coach. Yes, he was one of the greatest coaching minds in the game's history. And, frankly, most every head coach in college knows more about their sport than any of us. However, that doesn't mean any of us, or those in the media that fit that same category, know NOTHING and can't point out obvious things to talk about and question. Plus, last time I checked, even the greatest coaches are still human, hence they're capable of, gasp, making mistakes. To me, beating NW by 50, and then going to multiple overtimes to win at their place, kinda implies that the team was not ready and didn't execute. Most coaches, even if it's not true and the players were the ones not being accountable to staying mentally prepared, take the blame for that massive lack of consistency.

Reactions: George.Smalley

Classic Knight, belittle someone for not knowing anything about basketball, but then utter an absolute absurdity and not expect pushback.

Look, most would cut Knight a break for not wanting to acknowledge that home court has something to do with it. His mind**** brand of coaching relied on his players being more afraid of him than an opponent’s home court. But, he didn’t need to act like a complete horse’s ***.

All the interviewer was looking for was, “Home court means a lot in college basketball,”. What he got was an insult for asking a question that everyone on the face of earth knows to be true.

Exactly. Knight looked like an ass or bully there. He did that a lot to answers to reporters questions. He just liked being an ass or a bully. He enjoyed it.

Now, I liked him, since he was our ass and bully, and a genius at basketball.

But still, the reporter arguing 'come on you won by 51 on home court' stuff was really stupid! Interviewers can follow up with tough questions sure, but arguing a point isn't the way. Coach answered it, move on...

A.J. Foyt was/is the same way. I saw him go out on cold tires, crash on the first turn, be asked about cold tires, and get upset as if the reporter couldn't possibly know anything about cold tires. Well, anybody involved in racing knows about tire temps. But Foyt just felt like belittling somebody at that time.

Knight won a TON of games because HIS honecourt advantage was so strong. Hell, the refs were in his back frigging pocket.

Indiana didn't earn the Hall of Calls name for nothing...It has also backfired on Indiana the last few decades. They suck on the road because they don't get every whistle.

Good chance he just didn't like Sorensen. The clown was an insecure a--... I'm surprised Coach gave him an interview in the first place.

Glad Sorenson didn’t ask why McDonald’s food was littered on the runway in Evanston that evening after the game.🍟🤣

• Haha
Good chance he just didn't like Sorensen. The clown was an insecure a--... I'm surprised Coach gave him an interview in the first place.

Ed didn't have a background as a college bball player like Don Hein who was at Ch13 at that time... Hein and Knight had an on-and-off relationship but Knight respected him and would always let im back in........ Knight felt Sorenson had no reason to be challenging him on his answers whether they were BS answers or not.... and, I tend to agree. Just listen to how aggressive Sorenson sounded when he tried to ask it again... how stupid.

Knight would give most any reporter an interview, up to a point, but if they tried being cute with him by asking a question that would push Knight's button, like Sorenson did, then they paid the price.

As I wrote earlier, from that point on Ed was persona non grata with RMK.

Last edited:
Ed didn't have a background as a college bball player like Don Hein who was at Ch13 at that time... Hein and Knight had an on-and-off relationship but Knight respected him and would always let im back in........ Knight felt Sorenson had no reason to be challenging him on his answers whether they were BS answers or not.... and, I tend to agree. Just listen to how aggressive Sorenson sounded when he tried to ask it again... how stupid.

Knight would give most any reporter an interview, up to a point, but if they tried being cute with him by asking a question that would push Knight's button, like Sorenson did, then they paid the price.

As I wrote earlier, from that point on Ed was persona non grata with RMK.
Having dealt with the guy (Sorenson) I'm amazed RMK ever gave him the time of day to begin with... Sorenson routinely operated with all the maturity of a 5 and a 1/2 year old on a sugar rush...; probably still does...

Chet hated being in Indy. Thought it was beneath him.
Reminded me of this Chet Coppock gem:

On April 29, 1987, Coppock made good on a bet to push a peanut across the Michigan Avenue Bridge with his nose if Sneed’s prediction came true the Bears wanted to draft former Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh!
The upshot: While prodding the roasted nut across the bridge with his snout, Coppock messaged Sneed: “Ya got me, kid. Congrats on the KO punch. Love, kisses and the T formation.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/column...clear-his-name-in-the-court-of-public-opinion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT