ADVERTISEMENT

One of our one and dones...

Good for him - long overdue.
He was a very imposing player on the court. His shoulders were like bowling balls & shooting guards like me were bowling pins.

In the pre-breakaway rim days, I saw him break a hoop in half with a backhanded dunk and didn't realize it until he was halfway down the court & looked back at rim. He then checked his forearm for damage but it was fine.

Reactions: hondo314
Just an afterthought. I think he played tight end in high school football. Imagine the stats you could run up as a quarterback by throwing quick slants to him, then he would drag he defenders 30 yards down the field!

Reactions: echs86
Correct 72-73 was the year freshman became eligible he played 70/71
And, I won't describe it here out of respect for him, but his situation was one of the few "hardship" cases (needed to go pro in those days) that was actually a genuine hardship, not just an excuse to go pro. Always liked Big George and he set the standard for power forwards about 10 years ahead of his time!

And, I won't describe it here out of respect for him, but his situation was one of the few "hardship" cases (needed to go pro in those days) that was actually a genuine hardship, not just an excuse to go pro. Always liked Big George and he set the standard for power forwards about 10 years ahead of his time!
I remember it vaguely from reading his autobiography when I was a kid

Correct 72-73 was the year freshman became eligible he played 70/71
Actually he and Steve were not even on the freshman team at the time with rest of the players as they were called at the time "non predictors" sort of what prop 48 came to be. Grade issues were cleared up by their sophomore years. Explains why they took basketball in phys ed (i was in their class) and also had a dominating intramural team.

George was a stud. I wonder how he and the team would have done if he had stayed at IU and played for RMK. Have to say, the 1973 FF game vs UCLA and Walton should have had a different result and another banner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT