ADVERTISEMENT

On a personal note

I took my first ever trip to Europe a few weeks back and was stunned at the number of people that still smoke and that it's allowed at pretty much every restaurant. It was one of the few turnoffs of my trip.
Yep. It always surprises me. I rarely smell cigarette smoke any more so it’s always a shock to still smell it everywhere there.

Congratulations, Goat! I’ve been thinking about asking but didn’t want to make you feel bad if you back tracked. One bad habit I never picked up as I’m allergic to cigarette smoke. I’ve got pictures of me in college with multiple cigarettes in my mouth a few times. But I was nearly blackout at that point. It was a pain in the ass for me to go to sports bars to watch IU games. I ran out with tears streaming to get fresh air at every commercial. Good for you!

My first job was working at the Gawd awful Burger King on Wheeling Ave in Muncie. Everyone smoked at break time so I had to join in like a typical dumbass 16 year old. I smoked about 1/2 a pack and on the way home one night realized how much they sucked and threw the rest out the window (most egregious littering mistake). Other than a few drunken tokes in college I’ve never been interested

Reactions: hookyIU1990
As of this week, I haven't smoked in a full calendar year.

Smoked for 25 years. Quit a dozen times. Don't know how I made this one finally stick.

Good.

I've quit for over a year on two occasions. In both cases, the chronic clinical depression was a deal breaker for me. I discovered my problem by accident the first time; I picked up a cigar on a lark on a long drive I was taking and the undefined malaise I'd been experiencing was immediately lifted. The second time I knew exactly what was happening, and chose to take them back up rather than going on psychotropic drugs.

... the chronic clinical depression was a deal breaker for me.
That's one of the insidious aspects, at some point your desire to smoke is not that it makes you feel good, but that it stops you from feeling super-bad. I learned this from a talk by my Pfizer buddy on discovering Chantix, which really treats the depression aspect.

In short, when smokers smoke they get a rush of dopamine, a "peak". Not nearly enough dopaminergic signaling to make you high, like cocaine does. But it sets of a cycle of peaks of dopamine when you smoke and troughs of dopamine (too low levels) when you abstain. These low levels are entirely analogous to clinical depression- chronically low dopamine. You will do anything to get from the trough back to the peak. You smoke to shake the bad feeling.

What Chantix does is that it activates dopamine signalling, but just by a tiny bit. So the dopamine trough is gone. You would get a little more dopamine if you smoked, but he don't necessarily feel the need to.

What nicotine patches do is somewhat similar. Raises the trough when you really need it.

For some, nicotine replacement works great. For others, Chantix does wonders. For still others some replacement addiction gives them a dopamine boost (e.g., overeating, alcohol, gambling).

Good.

I've quit for over a year on two occasions. In both cases, the chronic clinical depression was a deal breaker for me. I discovered my problem by accident the first time; I picked up a cigar on a lark on a long drive I was taking and the undefined malaise I'd been experiencing was immediately lifted. The second time I knew exactly what was happening, and chose to take them back up rather than going on psychotropic drugs.
A guy I worked with smoked more than a pack a day for 30 years. He got COPD and his doctor said you HAVE to quit. The poor guy just couldn’t do it. Every time he tried, he got shingles, for some reason.

Last I heard he was on long term disability and carries an oxygen tank around.

And still smokes.

Poor guy.

I’ve
That's one of the insidious aspects, at some point your desire to smoke is not that it makes you feel good, but that it stops you from feeling super-bad. I learned this from a talk by my Pfizer buddy on discovering Chantix, which really treats the depression aspect.

In short, when smokers smoke they get a rush of dopamine, a "peak". Not nearly enough dopaminergic signaling to make you high, like cocaine does. But it sets of a cycle of peaks of dopamine when you smoke and troughs of dopamine (too low levels) when you abstain. These low levels are entirely analogous to clinical depression- chronically low dopamine. You will do anything to get from the trough back to the peak. You smoke to shake the bad feeling.

What Chantix does is that it activates dopamine signalling, but just by a tiny bit. So the dopamine trough is gone. You would get a little more dopamine if you smoked, but he don't necessarily feel the need to.

What nicotine patches do is somewhat similar. Raises the trough when you really need it.

For some, nicotine replacement works great. For others, Chantix does wonders. For still others some replacement addiction gives them a dopamine boost (e.g., overeating, alcohol, gambling).
I’ve Rx’d a fair amount of Chantix. It works but can really f—- with people’s minds also.

I'm not usually chasing tail in Scandinavia.
Mistake #1.

Sweden Swedish GIF by Eurovision Song Contest

As of this week, I haven't smoked in a full calendar year.

Smoked for 25 years. Quit a dozen times. Don't know how I made this one finally stick.
Holla, Goat.

That's BIG news. Tough to do. Welcome back to the living.

48 years for me. But I only smoked for 8 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT