ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, I'll ask the question...if Troy stays who goes?

I'd think Priller. Was he used at all in the NCAA? I'm pretty sure he was not used in the UNC game when it was decided.
Agree, he has had his 3 years to graduate just like everybody else has.Time to give up the scholarship and be a walk on.

Agree, he has had his 3 years to graduate just like everybody eland he has to honorhas.Time to give up the scholarship and be a walk on.
Priller should not have to give up anything. Crean decided to give him a grant based on I don't know what anf
Agree, he has had his 3 years to graduate just like everybody else has.Time to give up the scholarship and be a walk on.
Crean decided to give him a grant based on I don't know what but he has to honor that. Priller has every right to stay if he wants. Crean is the one who made this decision so why should the kid be forced to give up his grant?

You probably said the same thing after we signed OG and Morgan and they have turned out to be good editions. I think your hatred for our coach has blinded you of any obejectivity when it comes to Crean. He could sign 5 5 star players and you would complain about it.

Pretty much.

Priller should not have to give up anything. Crean decided to give him a grant based on I don't know what anf

Crean decided to give him a grant based on I don't know what but he has to honor that. Priller has every right to stay if he wants. Crean is the one who made this decision so why should the kid be forced to give up his grant?
You do know that Grants are one year contract in NCAA BB. Most fans, and I too long ago, think players receive four year rides, but that is simply not true. It became a realization to me during the Michael Herman debacle during RMK's tenure. Wondering if Priller would accept a walk-on position? While I don't particularly like the process of not re-offering the Grant, it is not a given the player gets one every year he is eligible.

I think IU's policy is that it's for 4 years. That may not preclude taking him off an Athletic scholarship.

The new rule is that you are guaranteed that you education will be paid for but you are not guaranteed a roster spot for 4 years.
That isn't necessarily true. Peegs covers that on the pay side. Without giving away pay info lets just say that Prillers spot is safe

I would think you would all be for priller keeping his spot Scott since you always talk about iu doing things the right way.
If it was up to me he would have a roster spot since it appears that he is doing what is expected of him. Where did you see me post anything hoping Priller is leaving.

I think Priller should have a spot for at least 6 years. Throw in a redshirt this year and fake an injury at some point to get the 6th year of eligibility.

Reactions: ekk
I just don't understand why some in our fan base worries who the 13th man is because those players never play anyways. Look at a lot of the top teams and they don't even have a full roster and some on the end of their bench never play. Is Priller good enough to play here, no but he seems like a good kid who works hard on and off the court. He seems to represent Iu very well and he should be given respect.

Reactions: BigMobe and Spa#2
people are not worried about the 13th man - They are worried because it is a scholarship we do not have for the next season - get it? Why waste a scholly on a kid who cannot earn garbage minutes??? Just save the scholly for another year - that is what people talk about with lack of roster management - You see, even YOU say players that far down rarely play, so WHY fill all of those spots with scholarship players - glad you are seeing the light. What would be so wrong with 10-11 scholarship kids and 2 -3 walk ons??? As it stands, we are again over-signed, which will work itself out, but more concerning is we only have 2-3 open spots for a very deep and loaded 17 class -

people are not worried about the 13th man - They are worried because it is a scholarship we do not have for the next season - get it? Why waste a scholly on a kid who cannot earn garbage minutes??? Just save the scholly for another year - that is what people talk about with lack of roster management - You see, even YOU say players that far down rarely play, so WHY fill all of those spots with scholarship players - glad you are seeing the light. What would be so wrong with 10-11 scholarship kids and 2 -3 walk ons??? As it stands, we are again over-signed, which will work itself out, but more concerning is we only have 2-3 open spots for a very deep and loaded 17 class -
If you give out 13 scholarships then someone has to be the 13th man and it is better to have someone who will not cause problems. I don't think Priller being on the team will effect us with getting a top recruit next year. If you have talented players being your 12th or 13th man more than likely they will not be happy not playing any minutes.

Last year IU was forced to go small when TB picked up two fouls - sometimes in the first few minutes of the game. The last guy on the bench should not a big who gets in after the walk-ons and team manager.

I just don't understand why some in our fan base worries who the 13th man is because those players never play anyways. Look at a lot of the top teams and they don't even have a full roster and some on the end of their bench never play. Is Priller good enough to play here, no but he seems like a good kid who works hard on and off the court. He seems to represent Iu very well and he should be given respect.
You got it. The 13th man is never going to play anyway. Leave priller alone.

Again Scott, why give out 13? That is a CTC problem - Why does he see th eneed to fill every ship every year?? You yourself say 13 never plays, so why fill that spot with a scholarship kid? Why not have a walk on there and save the ship for someone that can play/help the next season???

Maybe m
Again Scott, why give out 13? That is a CTC problem - Why does he see th eneed to fill every ship every year?? You yourself say 13 never plays, so why fill that spot with a scholarship kid? Why not have a walk on there and save the ship for someone that can play/help the next season???
Maybe mr priller will prove everyone wrong this year. Isn't he suppose to be lights out from deep??

Maybe m

Maybe mr priller will prove everyone wrong this year. Isn't he suppose to be lights out from deep??
Yes that's probably what he'll do,heck he might even start..The thing is he's really not a division 1 player his effort is awesome but come on man we need division 1 to practice with day in a day out.

Yes that's probably what he'll do,heck he might even start..The thing is he's really not a division 1 player his effort is awesome but come on man we need division 1 to practice with day in a day out.
I thought we have been told to trust crean and his skill for finding diamonds in the rough.

You do know that Grants are one year contract in NCAA BB. Most fans, and I too long ago, think players receive four year rides, but that is simply not true. It became a realization to me during the Michael Herman debacle during RMK's tenure. Wondering if Priller would accept a walk-on position? While I don't particularly like the process of not re-offering the Grant, it is not a given the player gets one every year he is eligible.
I knew they were one yr deals. This is also why I think it is hypocritical for a school to be able to say bye bye after a yr,cut the player, but the player can't leave and play immediately somewhere else..

It's so frustrating to read how all these great '17 recruits love us but we have no spots open.....and the one kid we do have barely sounds like a 3 star.

Relax. Gelon will surprise.
I have kicked an idea around that possibly Gelon goes to a prep school for a year to work on his game. I don't know if that has any effect on the NLI he signed or if that wakes him a free agent the following year. Crean doesn't redshirt players, but if Crean thinks he can help the team, it won't be next year. Redshirting doesn't help the scholarship numbers, but it won't matter. We could have a signee that won't qualify and Troy will stay in the draft. We could actually still start the year with an open spot.

I have kicked an idea around that possibly Gelon goes to a prep school for a year to work on his game. I don't know if that has any effect on the NLI he signed or if that wakes him a free agent the following year. Crean doesn't redshirt players, but if Crean thinks he can help the team, it won't be next year. Redshirting doesn't help the scholarship numbers, but it won't matter. We could have a signee that won't qualify and Troy will stay in the draft. We could actually still start the year with an open spot.
If Gelon goes to prep school he would have to sign again next year...he'd be a free agent

Crean thought Priller had the talent to be a player at this level. He should honor that and keep his scholly intact. That said he will be creaned quickly if or when Crean feels the need.

Crean thought Priller had the talent to be a player at this level. He should honor that and keep his scholly intact. That said he will be creaned quickly if or when Crean feels the need.
How can he be Creaned under the current IU protocols?

Priller is not going anywhere and I LOVE it.
I saw a tweet from someone that showed Priller with a group at a Texas Rangers game. I would have expected if he was leaving, there would have been some sort of announcement before he left Btown. It wouldn't make sense for him to leave town without making plans for transferring. I would want to tie up all loose ends and in the process, an intention to transfer or leave the program would have to be known.

It may be possible he will leave the program or become a walk-on. That is between him and Crean. Unless we hear otherwise very soon, he will be back at IU.

I saw a tweet from someone that showed Priller with a group at a Texas Rangers game. I would have expected if he was leaving, there would have been some sort of announcement before he left Btown. It wouldn't make sense for him to leave town without making plans for transferring. I would want to tie up all loose ends and in the process, an intention to transfer or leave the program would have to be known.

It may be possible he will leave the program or become a walk-on. That is between him and Crean. Unless we hear otherwise very soon, he will be back at IU.
There's no possibility he'll become a walk on.

There's no possibility he'll become a walk on.
I only offer it as a possibility, although not likely unless another player becomes available later this summer. It would be unfair to Priller's family to put that on them this late.

Uh, I thought the NCAA rules said that once a player has a scholarship, he remains a 'counter' (that is one of the 13 available) until he is no longer on the team. His scholarship can be rescinded, but he still counts against the total if he remains on the roster. I think this is why so many coaches don't reward walk-ons with scholarships until their final year. I could be wrong, but...

Uh, I thought the NCAA rules said that once a player has a scholarship, he remains a 'counter' (that is one of the 13 available) until he is no longer on the team. His scholarship can be rescinded, but he still counts against the total if he remains on the roster. I think this is why so many coaches don't reward walk-ons with scholarships until their final year. I could be wrong, but...
I thought the player was guaranteed that his education would still be paid for but is not guaranteed a roster spot. This is not a NCAA rule but a new thing at IU that guarantees his school will be paid for as long as he wants to attend IU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT