ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St

Looks good
Not watching, can't, but that doesn't surprise me. From what I saw of them last year, I would expect them to be one of the most brutal teams physicality wise in the country. If they now have shooting, it could be lights out

Not watching, can't, but that doesn't surprise me. From what I saw of them last year, I would expect them to be one of the most brutal teams physicality wise in the country. If they now have shooting, it could be lights out
They’ll probably win the big ten. They look better than Michigan St right now anyways. I guess who knows in a month or two?

Reactions: Cavanagh.10
Ohio State had perhaps the best recruiting class in the nation, as they got 3 top 50 guys and all 3 of them will be back next year most likely. Carton, as you recall, was a big target for Miller and it was a great nab by the buckeyes.
Holtman has had nearly everything go his way in the 3 years he has been there. Eventually he will have a mistep, but he sure inherited and then recruited some good players.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Holtmann is a good coach.

Even if he isn't, there is no case to be made at this time against him. Steve Fisher kind of had that situation too. Stoked a fire he didnt start but kept it going.

I think it is about the time where everyone can acknowledge Holtmann was the best hire of the 3 new B1G coaches. Good news is Archie is not worse than Underwood. OSU beat the piss out of Nova from start to finish, and they looked like a top 5 team.

Reactions: southernin345
I’m not mad that IU hired Archie. He still may end being the right guy. I’m mad because it doesn’t seem like they really talked to anyone else. Unless we hear that FG called someone like Holtmann and was told he wasn’t interested or something like that. He has his team in the top 15, soon to be top 10. And Chris Mack is in the top 5, soon to be top 3. Although it wouldn’t suprise me if we bust into those rankings eventually.

Reactions: cryano
I’m not mad that IU hired Archie. He still may end being the right guy. I’m mad because it doesn’t seem like they really talked to anyone else. Unless we hear that FG called someone like Holtmann and was told he wasn’t interested or something like that. He has his team in the top 15, soon to be top 10. And Chris Mack is in the top 5, soon to be top 3. Although it wouldn’t suprise me if we bust into those rankings eventually.

Fred made a play for Donovan but couldn't close the sale as always.

Fred made a play for Donovan but couldn't close the sale as always.

You mean he wasn't able to talk a successful NBA coach into quitting and coming down to the college ranks? What a terrible negotiator he must be. :rolleyes:

Let's count the number of times a successful non-fired NBA coach said, "Screw this...Imma coach college!"

Holtmann is a very very good coach. That was a clinic of execution and attention to detail. I like Archie but still wonder if IU shouldn't have taken CH.
Butler coaching tree
Holtmann is a good coach.

Last edited:
You mean he wasn't able to talk a successful NBA coach into quitting and coming down to the college ranks? What a terrible negotiator he must be. :rolleyes:

Let's count the number of times a successful non-fired NBA coach said, "Screw this...Imma coach college!"

KD, when healthy, has been the best player in basketball or second best at worst in the last 5 years. He blew the lead in the conference finals the year he had him. Then over the next three years with another MVP still on the team he has won a total of 4 playoff games getting bounced every year in the 1st round. He has underachieved in every season he has coached in the NBA. Every single one.

You think he has been a successful NBA coach? Might be the worst sports take I have heard this month. Makes more sense why your standards are next to nothing for IU.

KD, when healthy, has been the best player in basketball or second best at worst in the last 5 years. He blew the lead in the conference finals the year he had him. Then over the next three years with another MVP still on the team he has won a total of 4 playoff games getting bounced every year in the 1st round. He has underachieved in every season he has coached in the NBA. Every single one.

You think he has been a successful NBA coach? Might be the worst sports take I have heard this month. Makes more sense why your standards are next to nothing for IU.

By successful, I mean non-fired. I thought I made that clear. What coach, who has not been fired, has left the NBA to coach at the collegiate level?
I see you don't have an answer.
Now, go change the oil in the fryer. It's disgusting.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps

I'm sorry but considering he had to coach the master of shooting his team out of games in the 4th Q, I'd say Donovan is overachieving in OKC. Westbrook is an elite talent but lost those game. If not for Durant that team would of never won a playoff series before or after Donovan.

By successful, I mean non-fired. I thought I made that clear. What coach, who has not been fired, has left the NBA to coach at the collegiate level?
I see you don't have an answer.
Now, go change the oil in the fryer. It's disgusting.

And it is understandable that the NBA is going to more preferable to a lot of coaches. About the only downside to coaching NBA is that the travel schedule is much more of a grind. But that is really offset by having a true off season, and don't need to spend that time recruiting. Plus practice schedules are probably held at more consistent/reasonable hours because you don't need to work around classes, and you don't need to babysit the players when they aren't at practice

Lol...what a clown

Real basketball talk. Nothing I said would be disagreed upon by people that follow and understand the nba. You don’t qualify, sorry.
You are a clown. Just making the playoffs coming out of the west is a major achievement, and in a small market like OKC? Good God dude. For someone who prides himself on knowing the game (but doesn't) you are the worst sports take I have heard this month (with the obvious exception of feepaw).

So, still no answer to the question about pro coaches who decided to say "See ya", to the NBA and coach college ball?

"Dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge"! :D

I didn't argue that point. I commented on you saying he was a successful nba coach twice in your statement. That is the only thing I mentioned. You decided to try to act like I argued that point, because you know, you’re an idiot.

Reactions: cryano
I didn't argue that point. I commented on you saying he was a successful nba coach twice in your statement. That is the only thing I mentioned. You decided to try to act like I argued that point, because you know, you’re an idiot.

And if you would have slowed down and read, instead of skimming in a feverish, yet failed, attempt at "gotcha", you would have been able to see that, for the purposes of my post, "successful = employed".

So, did you lose #11 so soon? How sad. :rolleyes:

holtmann inherited thad motta's players. archie inherited you know who's.

Holtmann had good seniors, both by talent and leadership, on his first OSU team. K. Wesson was a heck of a get too. But certainly, he has kept the ball rolling in signing Carton, Liddell, and Gaffney. They are all contributors already and Carton is a very good freshman.
Miller is doing fine with his signed guys. And he has had improvements from Durham and Smith and probably Green, once we see him. Plus, Thompson and Phinisee are solid and improved. Anderson is starting to get it. The new guys are all contributing.

Miller has things going, but it has taken a bit longer. If they get Garcia, next year's team will be good. They may be good even if they don't get him, but he would help a lot.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Holtmann had good seniors, both by talent and leadership, on his first OSU team. K. Wesson was a heck of a get too. But certainly, he has kept the ball rolling in signing Carton, Liddell, and Gaffney. They are all contributors already and Carton is a very good freshman.
Miller is doing fine with his signed guys. And he has had improvements from Durham and Smith and probably Green, once we see him. Plus, Thompson and Phinisee are solid and improved. Anderson is starting to get it. The new guys are all contributing.

Miller has things going, but it has taken a bit longer. If they get Garcia, next year's team will be good. They may be good even if they don't get him, but he would help a lot.

We have the pieces to be good this year. If Hunter gets into a rhythm and finds his shot, this could be fun to watch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT