ADVERTISEMENT

Official Prediction Thread: Indiana @ Illinois

IU? I'm Fine

All-Big Ten
Jul 23, 2006
Now we are in the thick of a tough stretch of conference games. As IU plays with one day off, on the road the second game...get used to this.

Illinois is 0 - 8 in conference play. They have a first year coach, too. They aren't great but in most games they can put up quite decent competition. They cause turnovers. Don't hit well from out (IU can help them here). They aren't super efficient inside. But, they play close.

If Juwan Morgan is healthy and on....IU has a decent chance to win this..if IU brings it.

Illinois is favored by one...according to one site.

IU is not good on the road.

Can IU sustain it after one day? Can Juwan bring it again and again? Can ...can...well, you know...

Archie Miller and the team are learning. IU takes it to the final 1 minute....Archie calls a timeout...Justin Smith...A Diaper Dandy!! Breakout Game! Oh My!!

Indiana 73; Illinois 71

Last edited:
With how much ball pressure UI put on I feel this will be an ugly game with the score. I feel we will have a lot of turnover sin this one
UI 64
IU 59

Illinois first win of the conference season will come against us. Sickening. UI will score at will inside and foul trouble will be a problem from the first tip for IU.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Now we are in the thick of a tough stretch of conference games. As IU plays with one day off, on the road the second game...get used to this.

Illinois is 0 - 8 in conference play. They have a first year coach, too. They aren't great but in most games they can put up quite decent competition. They cause turnovers. Don't hit well from out (IU can help them here). They aren't super efficient inside. But, they play close.

If Juwan Morgan is healthy and on....IU has a decent chance to win this..if IU brings it.

Can IU sustain it after one day? Can Juwan bring it again and again? Can ...can...well, you know...

Archie Miller and the team are learning. IU takes it to the final 1 minute....Archie calls a timeout...Justin Smith...A Diaper Dandy!! Breakout Game! Oh My!!

Indiana 73; Illinois 71
Illinois has the same short turn around we have to face. Both their games were at home, so that helps a little.

Illinois is due to win a game and being at home is their best chance. Still, they are 0-8 for a reason. They played MSU tough for a long time and aren't without talent. They will give us trouble. WE need good games for our top 8 players and either Newkirk or Green need to play smart.

Illinois will come out fired up as they are favored and feel this is a game they can win. If we can go into half within 5 points, we will win the game.

IU 74 - UI 70

Reactions: kausrical
I feel this one will be close, and I have a fear about a repeat of Feb 7, 2013.

I do not think Miller's defense strategy would allow something like that to happen though.

Illinois must be hungry though. UI forced MSU into 25 turnovers. If they can do that against IU then...
U of I 74 - IU 72

They have been oh so close in most of their games. I think a few went into OT. Being at UI, I will pick them by 5.

Our road losses have been marked by turnovers, cold shooting and foul trouble leading to big early deficits. I'd like to see us avoid some of that and be focused, ready, fired up and come out hustling from the start tonite.

76 - 67 Illini
Illinois is athletic and physical as hell, but not very skilled. IU has to handle the pressure, make free throws, and can't throw the Illini easy points. Tough matchup for the Hoosiers physically. IU needs this game to be called tight.

If IU can take care of the ball, get to the rim, and get Illinois in some foul trouble I like their chances. Otherwise, long night. After watching some of the Illinois-MSU game the other night I see why MSU has struggled some. Their guard play is suspect against good defense. Newkirk, Johnson, and Green cannot turn the ball over and take bad shots.

Illinois is athletic and physical as hell, but not very skilled. IU has to handle the pressure, make free throws, and can't throw the Illini easy points. Tough matchup for the Hoosiers physically. IU needs this game to be called tight.

If IU can take care of the ball, get to the rim, and get Illinois in some foul trouble I like their chances. Otherwise, long night. After watching some of the Illinois-MSU game the other night I see why MSU has struggled some. Their guard play is suspect against good defense. Newkirk, Johnson, and Green cannot turn the ball over and take bad shots.
Great points, coug.

I think (hoping) we'll be good with following up on success issues that has plagued this team during past games. I think they'll play hard - but how is Juwan's ankle? Can he give us anything close to normal, let alone what we got Monday night?

I'm going to be the optimist - IU 69, Illinois 64.

I am concerned that Juwan will be saddled with two touch fouls in the first five minutes.

I just want a competitive game... No egg layers this late in the season... Gotta play like these games have meaning... Let Illinois find their first win with somebody else at the bottom of the conference.... Going to see if CAM has instilled enough mental toughness thus far... To follow up a close home game with a close away game... Go Hoosiers

Indiana 73; Illinois 71

65-55 illinois

The desperation from Illinois will be extreme. It's a shame they don't have a conference win or two right now.

It's hard to predict what this team will do. If morgan doesn't play much forget it. Has to be a concern after only 48 hours rest on his ankle..

I feel Archie is getting through to them enough that when they play other mediocre teams they will find a way to pull it out more often than not. I'll pick them to pull this one out vs Illinois in game where both teams score in the 50's.but who knows. One guy goes off like Happ and they probably lose.

It's hard to predict what this team will do. If morgan doesn't play much forget it. Has to be a concern after only 48 hours rest on his ankle..

I feel Archie is getting through to them enough that when they play other mediocre teams they will find a way to pull it out more often than not. I'll pick them to pull this one out vs Illinois in game where both teams score in the 50's.but who knows. One guy goes off like Happ and they probably lose.
What concerns me most is how much we struggle against really physical defenses - which is Illinois major (and really only) weapon. MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Seton Hall all really got up in our business and we had trouble handling that. Iowa, PSU, Northwestern, Minny, and Md either could not or did not play as physical. Hopefully we can be strong with the ball and patient and take advantage of an over-aggressive defense. If so, I think we can outscore Illinois. If they take it from us or we take bad shots that lead to run-outs and easy scores, we will be in trouble.

UI 74- IU 68
Unfortunately IU will be distracted by the Illini's cheerleaders new outfits and we miss 3 shots because of it. Since "The Orange Crush" (do they still call it that?) Student section has the "best" seats and may dress like oranges IU commits 4 additional turnovers. Home cooking accounts for a 10 free throw swing for the Illini. Without these home court advantages IU wins by 12. If only IU's administration was so savvy!

Reactions: pzindy
I’m going with Indiana figuring out how to deal with the ball pressure. Back cuts by Smith and Hartman, then clutch threes down the stretch help us win. 73-66 Indiana

They cause a lot of turnovers because they play really hard and are opportunistic-disruptive. If we can avoid turnovers early in the possession and work for good shots we'll be able to score nicely. We will need to communicate when UI goes rogue...which they will.

On defense we will need to avoid easy offensive put backs and get to the shooters to avoid a rythem frenzy.

Bottom line...take our time and talk.
IU Senior guards win or lose this one.

I say IU 68 - UI 63

What concerns me most is how much we struggle against really physical defenses - which is Illinois major (and really only) weapon. .

I can't really argue with that. Other than Wisconsin those teams you mentioned are really solid teams. I just hope that IU is responding to Archie's system and playing better now as opposed to when they played Wisconsin and they can overcome the physicality.

I picked Michigan State to win by 20 and they won by 30. I picked Maryland to win by 10 and IU won. If I pick IU to win they will have three starters each with two fouls before the game is 6 minutes old. So I will just watch quietly.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Despite the fact Wisconsin is not a good basketball team, IU has not won a game up there in years, same for IU's history playing at MSU. I'm sure someone on this board could site the stats regarding IU's recent history when playing at UI's Assembly Hall but memory tells me IU has experienced much more success on the road at Illinois as opposed to playing at Wisky and MSU. I think CAM has this team coming together just enough to pull out a close road win tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT