ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Notes (and other tidbits)

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

Can't wait for Kickoff!

Last edited:
No news in SI depth chart … McCully #1 at Z is but a mild surprise. Magnum Farrah #2 at stud … I think he’ll get 40+ % of the snaps at edge. Andre Carter played Ironman minutes last year.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-indiana-hoosiers-football-week-1-depth-chart

CCC Radio Quotes with Don Fischer … lots to like … much has been said before

On his vision for Indiana football:​

• Cignetti wants Indiana to play fast, physical, relentless, smart, disciplined and poised.
  • He mentioned that his previous teams at James Madison were typically the least penalized team in the conference and had the best turnover ratio. He wants that to continue at Indiana.
  • Cignetti demands consistent, high-level performance at practice. “You can’t be horseshit during practice and expect to play on Saturday. And we have a guy or two who think they can, and they don’t. They won’t,” Cignetti said.
  • “It’s all about habits. How you do something is how you do everything. You can’t turn it off and on. Life ain’t like that. It’s choices and decisions. Freedom of choice but not freedom of consequence. First you form your habits, and your habits form you. The habit has to be excellence, striving for excellence all the time. When you have a bunch of guys that think that way, then you’re going to have a good thing,” Cignetti said.
  • Cignetti said Indiana can’t be affected by the circumstances of the game, whether it’s going well or poorly. He said a team can’t feel good and let up when winning. “Gotta keep the foot on the jugular,” he said. “You get down a couple scores, you can’t have anxiety and frustration. You gotta chip away, keep your focus, resilience and belief.”
  • “We’re going to find out if we’re that rubber ball that you drop on the ground and it bounces back in your hand or that glass ball that you drop and shatters into a million pieces. I think we’re more like the rubber ball, but we gotta prove it on the field,” Cignetti said.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...epares-for-florida-international-01j6800b48y7

No news in SI depth chart … McCully #1 at Z is but a mild surprise. Magnum Farrah #2 at stud … I think he’ll get 40+ % of the snaps at edge. Andre Carter played Ironman minutes last year.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-indiana-hoosiers-football-week-1-depth-chart

CCC Radio Quotes with Don Fischer … lots to like … much has been said before

On his vision for Indiana football:​

• Cignetti wants Indiana to play fast, physical, relentless, smart, disciplined and poised.
  • He mentioned that his previous teams at James Madison were typically the least penalized team in the conference and had the best turnover ratio. He wants that to continue at Indiana.
  • Cignetti demands consistent, high-level performance at practice. “You can’t be horseshit during practice and expect to play on Saturday. And we have a guy or two who think they can, and they don’t. They won’t,” Cignetti said.
  • “It’s all about habits. How you do something is how you do everything. You can’t turn it off and on. Life ain’t like that. It’s choices and decisions. Freedom of choice but not freedom of consequence. First you form your habits, and your habits form you. The habit has to be excellence, striving for excellence all the time. When you have a bunch of guys that think that way, then you’re going to have a good thing,” Cignetti said.
  • Cignetti said Indiana can’t be affected by the circumstances of the game, whether it’s going well or poorly. He said a team can’t feel good and let up when winning. “Gotta keep the foot on the jugular,” he said. “You get down a couple scores, you can’t have anxiety and frustration. You gotta chip away, keep your focus, resilience and belief.”
  • “We’re going to find out if we’re that rubber ball that you drop on the ground and it bounces back in your hand or that glass ball that you drop and shatters into a million pieces. I think we’re more like the rubber ball, but we gotta prove it on the field,” Cignetti said.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...epares-for-florida-international-01j6800b48y7
Thanks for this post, I am not surprised by the Carr-MGF as Carr is more athletic while Mangum is more a physical player, I like the quotes from Coach Cignetti and it should show up on the field this Saturday.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
Depth on the defensive lines and linebacker is always at a premium. Coach Haines indicated he liked what Mangum-Farrar should be able to bring, in his press conference a couple weeks ago. Sort of a 'didn't know what I had in him coming in, but I'm pleased' tone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
One of the things that stuck out to me was when Don was talking to SD. they have really short thought out practices. Real efficient. Said very Bob knight like time management.

If he shows even the slightest resemblance to R.M. Knights approach to coaching I'll be a happy man and I believe we'll end up being on the Winning side of the ledger sooner rather than later...

One of the things that stuck out to me was when Don was talking to SD. they have really short thought out practices. Real efficient. Said very Bob knight like time management.
Maybe time management as far as efficient practices.

I remember last December when the hire was discussed, a JMU fan said he's a good coach but his game management such as when to use his timeouts will have us mad sometimes. Claimed it's one of his misses.

I thought "You don't know what we've seen. Time management will still be an upgrade..." At least no timeouts before the first snap I expect.

Maybe time management as far as efficient practices.

I remember last December when the hire was discussed, a JMU fan said he's a good coach but his game management such as when to use his timeouts will have us mad sometimes. Claimed it's one of his misses.

I thought "You don't know what we've seen. Time management will still be an upgrade..." At least no timeouts before the first snap I expect.
Practices was the topic not game management.

Reactions: 76-1
Hey I’m happy. Easy win over a decent Sun Belt team. The defense looked great. QB was meh. Hope he gets better.

Reactions: red hornet
Hey I’m happy. Easy win over a decent Sun Belt team. The defense looked great. QB was meh. Hope he gets better.
KR was more than steady. Just as the gameplan called for. Moved well and timely in the pocket, showed elusiveness and improvised on the run successfully and when not there was no calamity. 1st game results into pretty high grade. As season progresses so will his exploits. With a strong rushing attack he doesn't have to take chances in the air. Never felt during the game that IUFB was in jeopardy. Also like a HC who will focus on the game negatives he's pissed over. Focus may be to lightweight of a word for Cignetti coaching.
UCLA is in great peril.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was a little concerned about Rourke not having a high upside. Why I thought that after he lit it up on the field in the past, who knows... lol.
Not anymore. Cig knows. The man can play all right. I'll go with production over potential. :)
Seems to have enough arm to make the throws he'll need to once we hit the B1G schedule. Good QB.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT