ADVERTISEMENT

October 3

I fully expect an announcement in the next week or so that the season will not be played.
Just too many hurdles to overcome and they are running out of time,they will error on the side of caution and you can’t blame them.Just my opinion and yes it sucks.

Right now I just don't see it happening. I don't think anyone will have the satchel to try it.

I fully expect an announcement in the next week or so that the season will not be played.
Just too many hurdles to overcome and they are running out of time,they will error on the side of caution and you can’t blame them.Just my opinion and yes it sucks.

Hypothetical:

2 teams
Season opener set for Saturday
Zero positive tests for 2+ weeks in a row among any coach or player
Most recent test of all coaches/players Thursday before game
No player has "left the bubble" since the test
No fans - just TV money

Do you play?

One game - not a season - just that first game?

Reactions: vesuvius13
wouldn't it better to start earlier though so we can get some bye weeks in there in case teams start testing positive.

At one point, I "thought" they might create a schedule where you played every second or third week - allowing for as many positives as possible to turn back into negatives. But that's a long season.

So I think - if they play - and I think they will at least start play - they will just tell teams "if you lose players to positive tests, you play with who you have. Just like very other injury."

Lately, though, with vaccine news so favorable, I'm thinking they might be thinking "If vaccinations can start by the end of the year, and just one company can produce a BILLION doses in a year, delaying 'til Spring makes morre sense."

But they don't ask me or tell me. All I know is what I read in the toxically-partisan newspapers and on the toxically-partisan interwebs.

Hypothetical:

2 teams
No fans - just TV money

Do you play?

In my opinion (and I'm not some far left ideologue who's certain my opinion is the only one that could possibly be correct)..., bringing college students back on campus and then using the fact that they are there as the reason it's alright to go ahead and play college football is ALL about the money...(for the TV execs..., cable outfits, and the schools)...
There's nothing altruistic going on here in regards to the decision to play, I feel that it's all about cold hard cash...

Also in my opinion..., history will look back on the fall of 2020 and ask: What in the world were they thinking??? It will most likely say: All they had to do was wait 6 months and they could have had a vaccine that would have saved thousands..., instead they walked up to an obviously smoldering fire and poured gasoline on it, then acted surprised when it blew up out of control...

That's not my politics talking..., that's my "common sense"...

Last edited:
Indiana has yet to have a team meeting. Some of the coaches have not met face-to-face with the players. Fall students are not yet back on campus. Players have not had any full contract drills. In the past 2 weeks 10 or 11 players have tested positive while the coaches have done everything they can to keep the players isolated and safe.

Just like everywhere else right now it's only going to get worse.

Hypothetical:

2 teams
No fans - just TV money

Do you play?

Yes I would play under that scenario but how long could that be sustained?
I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade,I just can’t help but think 14 B10 teams cannot play a 10 game schedule without interruption.

In my opinion (and I'm not some far left ideologue who's certain my opinion is the only one that could possibly be correct)..., bringing college students back on campus and then using the fact that they are there as the reason it's alright to go ahead and play college football is ALL about the money...(for both the TV execs and cable outfits and the schools)...
There's nothing altruistic going on here in regards to the decision to play, I feel that it's all about cold hard cash...

Also in my opinion..., history will look back on the fall of 2020 and ask: What in the world were they thinking??? It will most likely say: All they had to do was wait 6 months and they could have had a vaccine that would have saved thousands..., instead they walked up to an obviously smoldering fire and poured gasoline on it, then acted surprised when it blew up out of control...

That's not my politics talking..., that's my "common sense"...
I thought they are playing soccer in Europe now. Any feedback on how that is going?

I think the pro leagues will play but am concerned the college game will be postponed due to too many people afraid of what could happen. I think the college game could be played with positive cases treated like injuries but I don't think that will be the case.

At one point, I "thought" they might create a schedule where you played every second or third week - allowing for as many positives as possible to turn back into negatives. But that's a long season.

So I think - if they play - and I think they will at least start play - they will just tell teams "if you lose players to positive tests, you play with who you have. Just like very other injury."
Only way in hell I think they can play is with an abbreviated season. B1G plays their division rivals only, every other week. Six games total. That at least gives them two weeks to deal with positives and quarantines. Play the championship game if there is anyone left at the end.

How about televising 15 years of spring games? After all virtually nobody has seen them.;)
I'm including the Big Ten championship and National Championship games.

Only way in hell I think they can play is with an abbreviated season. B1G plays their division rivals only, every other week. Six games total. That at least gives them two weeks to deal with positives and quarantines. Play the championship game if there is anyone left at the end.

It may turn into that, but ...

Follow the money

BTN money is around $50,000,000+ per school
10 conference games
$5,000,000 per school per game

With college age kids not getting sick, and masks/hand washes preventing spread, and treatments working better, and 2 companies (already) saying their vaccine works and they can make 1,000,000,000 doses in a year without any other company or government even helping, starting vaccinations of medical staff and vulnerable as early as mid-late September ...

They’re playing

Stands may be empty
No kid may be allowed within 25 feet of a professor over 50 on campus
Most lectures may be video
But they’re playing

Cause if they don’t, Title IX is dead, all the non-revenue-sport scholarships are dead.

Etc.

May not finish until May 2020, but they’ll play
May play with half a team, and a punter at QB, but they’ll play

But I could be wrong
I have been wrong
I will be wrong again

But when you bet on a school chasing $50,000,000, with numbers being what they are, and the certainties/uncertainties being what they are, “positive tests” without higher percentages of actual serious consequences (hospitalizations, ICUs, vents, deaths, permanent impacts on major life activities, among athletes), bet the over

Nobody ever went broke betting on folks wanting money.

Just saw where the NCAA postponed the vote on holding Fall sports championships until August

Things are in flux

How about this: Assuming B10 only games (& seems like people said add 1 game for 10 game schedule)...Play two weeks on, one week off for the entire season, takes you to same Sat after Thxgiving end of season.

So testing and assuming (for me) some kids will test positive AND be asymptomatic, the every third week off should allow some who tested positive but no symptoms, to not have to miss as many games with the extra week off (depending when their quarantine started) and maybe then be cleared for rest of the season if Dr.’s saying “You can’t get it again.”

Depth would be very important, and I’d be fine with no fans, TV only, if it allowed for a trial of playing as safely as possible.

Why not play four games in the fall and six in the spring...,or some variation of this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT