ADVERTISEMENT

Obtaining/Receiving Tickets To An Event Under Unusual Circumstances

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
With the Big Tournament coming up, I thought I would ask for some stories about obtaining tickets for an event (Athletic, Entertainment, Play, Or Concert) in an unexpected way. Here is mine.

I attended the University of Wisconsin as an undergrad. They always had excellent Hockey teams and won the NCAA Championship when I was there in 1973. As students, we could never obtain good tickets. However we would go over to the ticket Office which was located in the Track Shell Building next to Camp Randall at 6:3o a.m. on Monday and sit in line on the floor and wait for the Office to open at 8:00 a.m. to buy Standing Room Only Tickets for $1. We could then stand on the hard concrete floor behind one of the goals and watch the game.

At that time they played their games at Dane County Coliseum which was 3 0r 4 Miles off campus and not easily accessible, except by vehicle. The University provided buses for transportation from the Dorms which cost $1 Round Trip. The facility had a Beer Garden in the basement. With an 18 year old drinking age we could go down between periods and grab a $1 Beer. So if you were a "Johnny ThinWallet" like me you could have your whole Friday night entertainment for $4 - hockey Game, Transportation, and 2 Cold Beers.

My Brother was 2 years younger than me, and his friends sort of adopted me and included me in their activities when I was home for the Summer or Holiday Breaks. When I was home for Christmas in 1975, several of them were planning to go back to Madison on the Saturday after Christmas to see the Hockey Game between UW and Minnesota which were ranked as the 1 and 2 teams nationally. I think we had 7 guys packed in a station wagon with sleeping bags packed because we were staying over at one of the guys apartments after the game. 5 of the guys had tickets and 2 of us didn't. So our Plan was to scour the parking Lot after we arrived and see if anyone was selling tickets. If we didn't find any our Plan was to walk about a 1/4 mile across an open field to the tavern along the outside Roadway, watch the game at the bar and meet our guys at the car after the game.

After about 30 minutes of walking the parking lot in freezing weather looking for tickets, we decided to head to the Bar and watch the game. At about 7:15, as I was at the Bar and heard the Bartender on the phone with a guy he was holding tickets for, it sounded like the guy couldn't make it. I immediately asked him if he had game tickets for sale. He said he had 2, and he was willing to sell them for face value ($7 or $8 back then). I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. As he was giving me the tickets, I asked him if he knew where the seats were located. He said he thought they were at center ice about half way up the Stands. My Buddy and I took off to make our second trek across the field back to the Arena. Game time was 7:30, but after introductions and National Anthem it was about 7:35 by the time the puck was dropped. The game started just as we settled into our seats.

We found our buddies in the biergarten after the 1st period, and told them our story of obtaining prime seats to a sold out game for face value. They couldn't believe it. While they were standing down in the end zone for the entire game, we were seated comfortably at Center Ice. The two of us thought we better beat them to the car after the game before they decided to prank us and leave us behind after getting better seats than they had.

Reactions: cryano
Many many years ago (the 80's) WXKE gave away a Genesis Concert Pack, Two tickets to see Genesis in Indy, tickets on the WXKE bus down, and a bunch of other SWAG. So I was listening to the radio one afternoon and imagine my surprise when the announced the winner and they called my name...which was rather a shock as I'd never entered this contest.

I went down to the station and signed for all the stuff, including my official entry, and I recognized it as something I filled out at the liquor store on Coliseum Blvd that used to be next to a Subway. The guy in there at the time had told me it was for a drawing for a six foot sub. Ha ha. I'd rather have had the sub.

I kept the SWAG. I sold the concert ticket and the bus passes.

Many many years ago (the 80's) WXKE gave away a Genesis Concert Pack, Two tickets to see Genesis in Indy, tickets on the WXKE bus down, and a bunch of other SWAG. So I was listening to the radio one afternoon and imagine my surprise when the announced the winner and they called my name...which was rather a shock as I'd never entered this contest.

I went down to the station and signed for all the stuff, including my official entry, and I recognized it as something I filled out at the liquor store on Coliseum Blvd that used to be next to a Subway. The guy in there at the time had told me it was for a drawing for a six foot sub. Ha ha. I'd rather have had the sub.

I kept the SWAG. I sold the concert ticket and the bus passes.
Just about 5-10 years too late for Genesis.

With the Big Tournament coming up, I thought I would ask for some stories about obtaining tickets for an event (Athletic, Entertainment, Play, Or Concert) in an unexpected way. Here is mine.

I attended the University of Wisconsin as an undergrad. They always had excellent Hockey teams and won the NCAA Championship when I was there in 1973. As students, we could never obtain good tickets. However we would go over to the ticket Office which was located in the Track Shell Building next to Camp Randall at 6:3o a.m. on Monday and sit in line on the floor and wait for the Office to open at 8:00 a.m. to buy Standing Room Only Tickets for $1. We could then stand on the hard concrete floor behind one of the goals and watch the game.

At that time they played their games at Dane County Coliseum which was 3 0r 4 Miles off campus and not easily accessible, except by vehicle. The University provided buses for transportation from the Dorms which cost $1 Round Trip. The facility had a Beer Garden in the basement. With an 18 year old drinking age we could go down between periods and grab a $1 Beer. So if you were a "Johnny ThinWallet" like me you could have your whole Friday night entertainment for $4 - hockey Game, Transportation, and 2 Cold Beers.

My Brother was 2 years younger than me, and his friends sort of adopted me and included me in their activities when I was home for the Summer or Holiday Breaks. When I was home for Christmas in 1975, several of them were planning to go back to Madison on the Saturday after Christmas to see the Hockey Game between UW and Minnesota which were ranked as the 1 and 2 teams nationally. I think we had 7 guys packed in a station wagon with sleeping bags packed because we were staying over at one of the guys apartments after the game. 5 of the guys had tickets and 2 of us didn't. So our Plan was to scour the parking Lot after we arrived and see if anyone was selling tickets. If we didn't find any our Plan was to walk about a 1/4 mile across an open field to the tavern along the outside Roadway, watch the game at the bar and meet our guys at the car after the game.

After about 30 minutes of walking the parking lot in freezing weather looking for tickets, we decided to head to the Bar and watch the game. At about 7:15, as I was at the Bar and heard the Bartender on the phone with a guy he was holding tickets for, it sounded like the guy couldn't make it. I immediately asked him if he had game tickets for sale. He said he had 2, and he was willing to sell them for face value ($7 or $8 back then). I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. As he was giving me the tickets, I asked him if he knew where the seats were located. He said he thought they were at center ice about half way up the Stands. My Buddy and I took off to make our second trek across the field back to the Arena. Game time was 7:30, but after introductions and National Anthem it was about 7:35 by the time the puck was dropped. The game started just as we settled into our seats.

We found our buddies in the biergarten after the 1st period, and told them our story of obtaining prime seats to a sold out game for face value. They couldn't believe it. While they were standing down in the end zone for the entire game, we were seated comfortably at Center Ice. The two of us thought we better beat them to the car after the game before they decided to prank us and leave us behind after getting better seats than they had.
*yawn*

Not a great story, but I'll keep it shorter than yours!!! I've gotten to go to the Masters probably half dozen times over the last 15 years or so, because a friend has some family tix. Alas, his grandmother, who holds the tickets, passed away this year, and I'm supposed to go on Easter Sunday for a last hurrah. If you ever get the opportunity, I can tell you if you're a golf fan, and probably even if you're not, it will not disappoint. The grounds are unbelievable, concessions are ridiculously cheap, and the service and every amenity is well thought out and gracious. As beautiful as it looks on TV, it's even more amazing in person. I've been awestruck every year, and never disappointed. I don't think there are many events that you could go to repetitively like that and continue to say that about.

In March of 1981 I was working as the service manager at a new car dealer in downtown Bton. (Yes, there were dealers downtown in those days.) A traveling salesman of some sort from Iowa walked in the door and was wanting to sell four Final Four tickets for cash money, face value. He'd bought them nearly a year before, when Iowa was supposed to be a contender the following year. They'd been eliminated by then. I took a close hard look at them; they looked authentic to me. I called my parents and asked if they wanted them, and they said they would. I didn't have the cash and the guy wanted cash then and there; the owner let the cashier loan me the money out of the drawer.

Dad came over and got them the next day. They'd been to Philly in 76, and he said they looked much like the tickets they'd had then. Mom and Dad and my little brother and a friend of his went. The tickets were genuine, and the seats were decent, close to where they'd sat before.

Turned out the team flew back commercial, on the same flight as my folks, so they got to hang out with the team on the way back. Little brother had a good time with Buckner.

Reactions: cryano and kkott
In March of 1981 I was working as the service manager at a new car dealer in downtown Bton. (Yes, there were dealers downtown in those days.) A traveling salesman of some sort from Iowa walked in the door and was wanting to sell four Final Four tickets for cash money, face value. He'd bought them nearly a year before, when Iowa was supposed to be a contender the following year. They'd been eliminated by then. I took a close hard look at them; they looked authentic to me. I called my parents and asked if they wanted them, and they said they would. I didn't have the cash and the guy wanted cash then and there; the owner let the cashier loan me the money out of the drawer.

Dad came over and got them the next day. They'd been to Philly in 76, and he said they looked much like the tickets they'd had then. Mom and Dad and my little brother and a friend of his went. The tickets were genuine, and the seats were decent, close to where they'd sat before.

Turned out the team flew back commercial, on the same flight as my folks, so they got to hang out with the team on the way back. Little brother had a good time with Buckner.

81? Anything good happen that year?

Why was Quinn on the flight in 81?

what dealer and where?

i remember Harry Stephens Olds on 11th west of College, and seems like another, maybe Curry Buick, like Morton and 6th or 7th at one time, but not sure it was still there in 81.

i think the brick convention center bldg at 3rd and College was originally a Ford dealership, but that was way before 81.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT