ADVERTISEMENT

Now it's official Hartman back next year

Please, no more last second "experiments" to fill a roster with kids that will never play.

I wonder what all of the talking heads will say if the scholarship situation doesn't work out and Arch has to tell someone there is no room because Tommy Sunshine couldn't control himself. There may be one more round of spring Creaning after all. He's such as sweetheart.

I heard that same prediction last year about Bryant. But I wasn't surprised he came back because he needs more seasoning. Crean didn't get it done with him but I think Archie can. I will not be at all surprised if OG comes back too. He's still too raw and his injury makes him a riskier pick than some NBA teams would be willing to make. He could drop to bottom of first round or into the second. He'd have to think hard about coming back and seeing if he can make himself into a lottery pick or at least a sure first rounder.

NBA teams take players that have/had injuries all the time.

He'd be perfect as a late-first-round pick for a good team that doesn't need him right away and can let him develop over a couple years.

Would love to see San Antonio get him.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
NBA teams take players that have/had injuries all the time.

He'd be perfect as a late-first-round pick for a good team that doesn't need him right away and can let him develop over a couple years.

Would love to see San Antonio get him.

Your point is well taken, but any player who is capable and willing to play team ball would work well in SA's system.

Wrong reasoning. He is projected end of lottery. He will be a first round pick. Coming back would risk further injury which could really hurt his professional prospects. He actually has to leave now.

They have not had the draft camps yet so IMO, the projections are not so set set in stone. Not saying they are useless but this draft is loaded with talent. Plenty of players can jump ahead of OG. Andrew Jones from Texas just committed and is every bit as athletic as OG. So let's see what kind of information OG returns with after NBA people have close up evaluations.

I hate when people say a player would be a complete idiot not to go. This is the player's decision and the player will make the best decision for him. Coming back wouldn't make him and idiot. He has a better handle on whether he thinks he's ready than anyone else.

Robert williams had worked his way up to top 10-15 in the draft rankings and has already decided to stay at Texas A&M.

Robert williams had worked his way up to top 10-15 in the draft rankings and has already decided to stay at Texas A&M.

Well, OG's choice was a bit different . . . Williams has Billy Kennedy as a coach. Now that Archie's in place, maybe OG's decision hinge points have changed.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
What would be funny - and a great story - is if Priller turns out to be a find, playing for Archie.

That would be about as funny, and unlikely, as you ....

...doing pro bono work for Steve Bannon.

...or one of the Reds' no-name starting pitchers this year working past the fourth inning.

...or you getting to the Braves' new ballpark in under 15 minutes, even if you and the ballpark are on the north side.

...or IU putting a 31-10 (another "dark day") beat-down on OSU in the opening game of the 2017 football season.

Well, from what I saw he was the only guy who set down and back screens effectively and in volume without getting called for a moving pick foul. If he never scores a point, gets 3-4 rebounds, plays good defense, blocks out on the defensive end, and springs the other 4 guys free for buckets because he is an effective screener, then he's far, far more valuable than he's been given credit for. The two places I'd be most concerned about are his ability/discipline to play good defense and block out on the defensive boards . . . but that was endemic with Crean this past year, so . . . we'll just have to let Priller compete for a slot, no?

The dream would be for Priller to approximate Max Bielfeldt. Anything real in that direction would be a plus.
Those things you mention are exactly what I had hoped our staff would have done more with Priller with 3 years to work with him.

I always thought Priller could be given a specific role and he could be used for a couple of minutes if needed. If refs were calling us for fouls inside at a high rate in the first half, let Priller come in and get those to keep our better players out of trouble.

Reactions: nitro1947

...or one of the Reds' no-name starting pitchers this year working past the fourth inning.

...or you getting to the Braves' new ballpark in under 15 minutes, even if you and the ballpark are on the north side.

...or IU putting a 31-10 (another "dark day") beat-down on OSU in the opening game of the 2017 football season.

A wise man once told me "never say never". Ya never know . . .

. . . now, of those 4 choices, which is the most likely? I kinda like "dark day" as the favorite and more likely . . . followed by a distant "pro bono". What say you? I'll let you have the last word.

A wise man once told me "never say never". Ya never know . . .

. . . now, of those 4 choices, which is the most likely? I kinda like "dark day" as the favorite and more likely . . . followed by a distant "pro bono". What say you? I'll let you have the last word.

We're going on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail soon, with The Kid Down The Hall. If IU beats OSU by at least 21 points I'll buy 5 bottles of Woodford Reserve for you.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Priller isn't athletic and I never saw the shooting touch Crean said he had. It won't take CAM long to find that out. Still, he is 6'-9" when he stands up straight. There could be a role for him besides human victory cigar.

The guy was 6'9" playing against small schools (ie. small guys) and averaged 4 rpg as a high school senior. That alone told me he probably wasn't going to do much. How does a 6'9" starter in high school average 4 rebs a game?

On another note, I remember seeing KY Mr Bball John Pelphrey at the IN/KY All Star game back in the day, from Paintsville KY. Pelphrey was skrawny and couldn't walk and chew gum. Wondered how in the hell he wrangled a scholly to UK. Flash forward 4 years and Slick Rick had him not only chewing gum but dribbling between his legs and drilling 3s as one of their Unforgettables. One of the amazing transformations of a player I've seen. Who was the IU player you saw progress the most in a career? I know Jared Odle didn't do much at all til his senior year from my memory.

The guy was 6'9" playing against small schools (ie. small guys) and averaged 4 rpg as a high school senior. That alone told me he probably wasn't going to do much. How does a 6'9" starter in high school average 4 rebs a game?

On another note, I remember seeing KY Mr Bball John Pelphrey at the IN/KY All Star game back in the day, from Paintsville KY. Pelphrey was skrawny and couldn't walk and chew gum. Wondered how in the hell he wrangled a scholly to UK. Flash forward 4 years and Slick Rick had him not only chewing gum but dribbling between his legs and drilling 3s as one of their Unforgettables. One of the amazing transformations of a player I've seen. Who was the IU player you saw progress the most in a career? I know Jared Odle didn't do much at all til his senior year from my memory.
Let's ask Bryant why he was often out rebounded by the guards and especially JBJ. I suspect Priller wasn't strong inside and took a lot of perimeter shots.

I agree because each kid is different and have different priorities in life.
With Johnson,Hartman, McSwain and possibly Blackmon returning ,this would give IU senior leadership that team has sorely missed for years on end. As long as they understand roles in AM system.

You are thinking too small. ;) IU wins it going away 48-9. Has a Micro Brewed Porter named after the beat down - Darkness Becomes You (or something much cooler{hopefully}) :D and Priller gets 6th man of the year award (if there still is such an award):)

Reactions: Univee2
With Johnson,Hartman, McSwain and possibly Blackmon returning ,this would give IU senior leadership that team has sorely missed for years on end. As long as they understand roles in AM system.

Personally, I'd have Johnson Hartman and McSwain focus 90% of their efforts on D and only take the highest of high % shots but that's just me...
&
JBJ either learns to play passable D or sits.

You are thinking too small. ;) IU wins it going away 48-9. Has a Micro Brewed Porter named after the beat down - Darkness Becomes You (or something much cooler{hopefully}) :D and Priller gets 6th man of the year award (if there still is such an award):)

"Darkness Becomes You"

Well done. I'm going to steal that one.

Reactions: 76-1

Jimmy Rayl

Uwe actually played pretty well his senior year. Prior to that, he was slapstick comedy on the court.

As I recall he had never played much basketball before he got to IU. A little bit in Germany and I think a year on a high school team in the US? Certainly not a kid who had been playing since he was 5 like a most D1 players.

Personally, I'd have Johnson Hartman and McSwain focus 90% of their efforts on D and only take the highest of high % shots but that's just me...
&
JBJ either learns to play passable D or sits.
Well, that's wrong, because both Hartman (pre-injury) and Johnson are actually decent at shooting when they are open. McSwain hasn't shot frequently anyway and is one of those role players who definitely will have an impact if the other guys get their act together.

What I think you're saying, and I agree, is that those guys cannot function in the so-called dribble/drive offense where they are expected to drive down the foul lane to the basket without getting the ball slapped away. This board chastized Jeremiah Rivers and Verdell Jones for getting the ball slapped away but, realistically, some players just cannot function in that system.

I have read that Archie Miller runs some form of a "motion" offense. We'll all have to see next fall what it really is.

Priller isn't athletic and I never saw the shooting touch Crean said he had. It won't take CAM long to find that out. Still, he is 6'-9" when he stands up straight. There could be a role for him besides human victory cigar.
But he has not put on one ounce of muscle in his stay in Bloomington.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Priller and Gelon are the kind of players CAM mentioned would be the #12 and #13 players that would never play and be unhappy. CAM seems happy with 11 or 12 scholarship players. If Priller and Gelon don't mind sitting on the bench, I don't see them getting cut under CAM. Who knows, Gelon might became the good shooter he was recruited to be and help us out someday. Priller isn't going to be any different in his last season.

I am interested in how a fresh set of eyes will change the way these players are used.
I never understood why he got a scholarship.

Well, that's wrong, because both Hartman (pre-injury) and Johnson are actually decent at shooting when they are open. McSwain hasn't shot frequently anyway and is one of those role players who definitely will have an impact if the other guys get their act together.

What I think you're saying, and I agree, is that those guys cannot function in the so-called dribble/drive offense where they are expected to drive down the foul lane to the basket without getting the ball slapped away. This board chastized Jeremiah Rivers and Verdell Jones for getting the ball slapped away but, realistically, some players just cannot function in that system.

I have read that Archie Miller runs some form of a "motion" offense. We'll all have to see next fall what it really is.
You nailed it. Fans were frustrated with players but they were being asked to do things that they are not able to do. I don't know if these guys can play Archie's system but they should be better. Wisconsin kids look good because they play within a system that fits their skills. Imagine asking wisky's team to play Crean's style with their guards expected to drive their man to the whole and have their bigs weave out at the 3 pt line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT