ADVERTISEMENT

No names on the basketball jerseys

No prob 82

All Fred has to do is shorten his personal introduction and run a big screen intro for the entire team (up on the big screens) starting 20 minutes prior to kickoff (and put the same video up on the Official Football site...).

This intro combined with a couple of game time roster references should allow even the slowest among us to learn and retain their favorite players jersey numbers...

Later, during TV timeouts you flash up names, numbers and head shots by position group.

Great idea... You get all the credit 82;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 82hoosier
remember when the starters were introduced at mid-field with their name, home town, height, weight and college major. But the networks figured out it was cutting in advertising time so they eliminated the introductions and, wait for it........, put the names on the jerseys.

Reactions: Chriselli
remember when the starters were introduced at mid-field with their name, home town, height, weight and college major. But the networks figured out it was cutting in advertising time so they eliminated the introductions and, wait for it........, put the names on the jerseys.

And yet all those schools already mentioned multiple times (ND, USC, etc...) stuck to their guns and somehow their fans, the announcers and the average viewer all found a way to muddle on and deal with it...

Maybe their fans are just mentally tougher than ours? I'm guessing theirs stay for the entire game too...

Last edited:
And yet all those schools already mentioned multiple times (ND, USC, etc...) stuck to their guns and somehow their fans, the announcers and the average viewer all found a way to muddle on and deal with it... Maybe their fans are just mentally tougher than ours?
Yes they muddle through with their 90,000 fans and network contracts. Meanwhile, IU is trying to figure out how to get fans out of the tailgates and into the stadium. Let’s not pretend that what historically has been one of the worst programs in college football rubs shoulders with the big boys. When IU sells out every game and has 35,000 at the spring game then the AD can be as arrogant as he wants - like deciding that Assembly Hall is too good for the NIT. Just my opinion.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes they muddle through with their 90,000 fans and network contracts. Meanwhile, IU is trying to figure out how to get fans out of the tailgates and into the stadium. Let’s not pretend that what historically has been one of the worst programs in college football rubs shoulders with the big boys. When IU sells out every game and has 35,000 at the spring game then the AD can be as arrogant as he wants - like deciding that Assembly Hall is too good for the NIT. Just my opinion.

And names on the uniforms has brought the Tailgate Crowd (or anyone new) in in the recent past? Didn't think so. Hasn't kept anyone around past halftime either from what I've observed.

If TA thinks this will help his guys gain a mental edge and play for one another than I'm all for it.

Winning will bring the bandwagon crowd in and only winning. Maybe fumbling with a roster will keep em around after the half just so they can figure out who those guys are...

I just read Fred's statement on why IU didn't host the NIT. He stated "I don't want to devalue Assembly Hall because it's iconic".

This guy is a piece of work. That statement would fit neatly into the dictionary next to a number of offending word meanings, arrogance being at the top of the list.

I'm glad I don't associate myself with IU basketball. You talk about flakey, my goodness.

I am glad more people are catching on to what a clown Glass is. He is the Tom Crean of ADs. No prior athletics experience before taking the job, a smooth talking con artist, refuses to take outside advice, hopelessly in over their head, and mediocre on-field results.
In today's climate, being mediocre on the field while maximizing profit is generally acceptable for many school presidents. Not saying I like it, but it's reality more than not.

I just read Fred's statement on why IU didn't host the NIT. He stated "I don't want to devalue Assembly Hall because it's iconic".

This guy is a piece of work. That statement would fit neatly into the dictionary next to a number of offending word meanings, arrogance being at the top of the list.

I'm glad I don't associate myself with IU basketball. You talk about flakey, my goodness.

TAH is definitely iconic, but it is not too good for the a secondary tourney. Those comments however, were not out of line given the context of the specific situation.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I am glad more people are catching on to what a clown Glass is. He is the Tom Crean of ADs. No prior athletics experience before taking the job, a smooth talking con artist, refuses to take outside advice, hopelessly in over their head, and mediocre on-field results.

Wow

So you re saying that we will get a lot more fans if we just put the names back on the jersey. I think that is funny since they have always had the names on the jersey yet we still couldn't bring in many fans into the stadium.

If you are not a fan of all IU sports then you are not a real IU fan because if you are a fan of one sport then you should be a fan of all of them. Fans like you are what hurts our sports programs because you try to put fractions into the fan base.

Reactions: muubell
So you re saying that we will get a lot more fans if we just put the names back on the jersey. I think that is funny since they have always had the names on the jersey yet we still couldn't bring in many fans into the stadium.

No, I am not saying that at all. Let may ask you something. Why can Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State pack their stadium and charge three times the price that Indiana charges for a season ticket for students?

“Penn State doesn’t have their names on their uniform so why should we?”

You know why? Because most of our opponents our perennial winners and winning breeds tradition. You can take the names off the jerseys, you can triple the prices and probably link the spring game and the fans are going to still pour in. They also have great marching bands and they have great fight songs. The whole experience is so vastly superior to that at Indiana. In short those other programs can do whatever they want and the fans and recruits will still be there.

And getting back to the jerseys: answer me honestly - if every kid at Indiana had an offer from Penn State how many of them would still be at IU? CTA and his staff have to work harder, did deeper and then sell harder to have any hope of being competitive. They should be selling recruits that their name will be on that jersey. That their name and Indiana will be permanently linked. When they see a photograph ten years later they will know who those players were.

So please don’t try to tell me that we should remove the names so we can be like Penn State.

No, I am not saying that at all. Let may ask you something. Why can Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State pack their stadium and charge three times the price that Indiana charges for a season ticket for students?

You know why? Because most of our opponents our perennial winners and winning breeds tradition. You can take the names off the jerseys, you can triple the prices and probably link the spring game and the fans are going to still pour in. They also have great marching bands and they have great fight songs. The whole experience is so vastly superior to that at Indiana. In short those other programs can do whatever they want and the fans and recruits will still be there.

And getting back to the jerseys: answer me honestly - if every kid at Indiana had an offer from Penn State how many of them would still be at IU? CTA and his staff have to work harder, did deeper and then sell harder to have any hope of being competitive. They should be selling recruits that their name will be on that jersey. That their name and Indiana will be permanently linked. When they see a photograph ten years later they will know who those players were.

So please don’t try to tell me that we should remove the names so we can be like Penn State.
Not many would pick IU but it has nothing to do with the uniforms but the history of the program. We are not good at football because for the most part Indiana is a state that is known for basketball and not football. Before the Colts moved to Indianapolis football state wide was not that popular and the high school football was not that great. If the fans were honest in their opinion I would say most say if they had a choice on what the would want it would be for the basketball program to be great and not football.

Where have I ever said that our program will ever be like PSU,OSU or UM because that will never happen and it wouldn't matter if our uniforms were made out of gold.

You know why? Because most of our opponents our perennial winners and winning breeds tradition. You can take the names off the jerseys, you can triple the prices and probably link the spring game and the fans are going to still pour in.
And you know what? By the second game, the fans are going to know the names of the players.

This isn't rocket science, and it doesn't require a whole lot of effort. If you're at the game, buy a program, bring the roster up on your phone, or ask the guy next to you, "who's #22?" If you're watching at home, listen to the announcers, read the graphics, and/or pull up the roster on your phone or other electronic device. If a person's cognitive abilities are still intact, and they're simply paying attention, it won't take long until they know who's who.

I don't think this topic has been explored and debated enough, though. Might be time to start a 4th thread pertaining to names on jerseys.

Reactions: 76-1
No prob 82

All Fred has to do is shorten his personal introduction and run a big screen intro for the entire team (up on the big screens) starting 20 minutes prior to kickoff (and put the same video up on the Official Football site...).

This intro combined with a couple of game time roster references should allow even the slowest among us to learn and retain their favorite players jersey numbers...

Later, during TV timeouts you flash up names, numbers and head shots by position group.

Great idea... You get all the credit 82;)
I attended the FIU game and not once did
I hear or see anything on the big screen from
the FIU AD, refreshing.:)

Not many would pick IU but it has nothing to do with the uniforms but the history of the program. We are not good at football because for the most part Indiana is a state that is known for basketball and not football. Before the Colts moved to Indianapolis football state wide was not that popular and the high school football was not that great. If the fans were honest in their opinion I would say most say if they had a choice on what the would want it would be for the basketball program to be great and not football.

Where have I ever said that our program will ever be like PSU,OSU or UM because that will never happen and it wouldn't matter if our uniforms were made out of gold.

That is a cop out. Notre Dame is one of greatest programs in college football and even Purdue had a run of success. IU’s struggles in football are because IU has never invested adequately in the program and made it a priority.

It should never be “either / or.”
There are several Big Ten institutions that have it good in both football and basketball and are ahead of IU in both. The people at Michigan State and Michigan and Wisconsin have zero problem packing both venues.
If people in Indiana have not been smart enough to realize that a strong football program actually enhances the basketball program, then this state is dumber than it’s own backward reputation already.
Football drives a school image and it carries over to basketball. Fred said it in his recent press conference. It’s not rocket science. Every AD in the country has already figured this out. Football pays the bills. Basketball (see Wisconsin) enjoys the fruits of that labor.

That is a cop out. Notre Dame is one of greatest programs in college football and even Purdue had a run of success. IU’s struggles in football are because IU has never invested adequately in the program and made it a priority.
I never considered Notre Dame part of Indiana football because they mainly recruit nationally and don't even consider themselves part of Indiana.

It should never be “either / or.”
There are several Big Ten institutions that have it good in both football and basketball and are ahead of IU in both. The people at Michigan State and Michigan and Wisconsin have zero problem packing both venues.
If people in Indiana have not been smart enough to realize that a strong football program actually enhances the basketball program, then this state is dumber than it’s own backward reputation already.
Football drives a school image and it carries over to basketball. Fred said it in his recent press conference. It’s not rocket science. Every AD in the country has already figured this out. Football pays the bills. Basketball (see Wisconsin) enjoys the fruits of that labor.
I never said it should be either or and I want all IU sports to be the best. Also at schools like UK, KU, UNC and Duke don't have much trouble being considered a basketball school and not have a great football program. Besides KU they have a descent program but not that much better than IU the last few years but those schools are also known more for the basketball program.

Have you seen Kentucky’s football facilities? They are amazing. The university is really investing in the football program despite being a “basketball school.”

And you know what? By the second game, the fans are going to know the names of the players.

This isn't rocket science, and it doesn't require a whole lot of effort. If you're at the game, buy a program, bring the roster up on your phone, or ask the guy next to you, "who's #22?" If you're watching at home, listen to the announcers, read the graphics, and/or pull up the roster on your phone or other electronic device. If a person's cognitive abilities are still intact, and they're simply paying attention, it won't take long until they know who's who.

I don't think this topic has been explored and debated enough, though. Might be time to start a 4th thread pertaining to names on jerseys.
You're right, it won't matter as much after a short time, & it will still be a stupid, unnecessary, uncalled for decision.

Have you seen Kentucky’s football facilities? They are amazing. The university is really investing in the football program despite being a “basketball school.”

IU has poured millions into new facilities. Outside of a football only weight room, what should they be investing in?

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Scott loves the fact that IU is a basketball school, he loves it. I hate it, it's bad for football and it always was. Football should lead the way at big time schools, not basketball. I have never believed in being a basketball school.

Scott loves the fact that IU is a basketball school, he loves it. I hate it, it's bad for football and it always was. Football should lead the way at big time schools, not basketball. I have never believed in being a basketball school.
I have been a fan of IU sports since I can remember and I am 48 years old and I want all IU sports to do well. If you ask which sport I like best it is without a doubt basketball but that doesn't mean I don't like the football program as well. It is fans like you who are only a football fan that keeps the program down and you need to stop blaming all the problems for the football program o basketball.

You might need to blame fans for not coming and not the basketball program for why the football program has struggled over the years. You might want to ask why IU can get 15-17 thousand for Hoosier Hysteria and probably can't get 2-3 thousand for spring football.

You are a traditional IU fan, Scott. In your messages on the board, you ALWAYS put basketball on a big pedestal. That's the traditional IU fan and that way of thinking has killed football.

You are a traditional IU fan, Scott. In your messages on the board, you ALWAYS put basketball on a big pedestal. That's the traditional IU fan and that way of thinking has killed football.
Sorry, that I love basketball more than football and most people Indiana feels the same way. It goes from high school to college and I just find basketball more entertaining. Saying that I still love all IU sports especially football and want them to do well. Football only fans need to look in the mirror and stop blaming everything that is wrong with football on one of the sports who has actually won championships for IU. Like I said if a genie came down and said only one IU sport between basketball and football can win a championship then I would pick basketball all day long.

have followed both my whole life.

saw my first IU bb game on 7th st, and my 1st IU fb game on 10th.

no idea why or how anyone would think bb has somehow hurt fb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT