ADVERTISEMENT

No Formal Team Captains This Year

TomEric4756

All-American
Sep 20, 2021
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/for...u-football-wont-name-team-captains-heres-why/

“Never chosen captains, ever,” Cignetti said. “I put guys out in front of flex and then when we are done they say something to the team before practice then we practice. That might be the same three guys, it might be seven guys on a rotation. That’s the way I’ve done it.”“Never chosen captains, ever,” Cignetti said. “I put guys out in front of flex and then when we are done they say something to the team before practice then we practice. That might be the same three guys, it might be seven guys on a rotation. That’s the way I’ve done it.”
“Captain is a nice term, it was used a while back, to me it’s more important to have a lot of good leaders.”

Cignetti said he chose linebacker Aiden Fisher, running back Justice Ellison and offensive lineman Mike Katic to join him at Lucas Oil Stadium because they represent three distinct groups on his first Indiana roster: a transfer from James Madison where Cignetti came from, a transfer from elsewhere, and a returning IU player.

Every team in the Big Ten had to pick three players to join the head coach in Indianapolis for the annual event. And there’s no doubt Cignetti views the trio he chose as some of the leaders on this 2024 edition of IU football.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/for...u-football-wont-name-team-captains-heres-why/

“Never chosen captains, ever,” Cignetti said. “I put guys out in front of flex and then when we are done they say something to the team before practice then we practice. That might be the same three guys, it might be seven guys on a rotation. That’s the way I’ve done it.”“Never chosen captains, ever,” Cignetti said. “I put guys out in front of flex and then when we are done they say something to the team before practice then we practice. That might be the same three guys, it might be seven guys on a rotation. That’s the way I’ve done it.”
“Captain is a nice term, it was used a while back, to me it’s more important to have a lot of good leaders.”

Cignetti said he chose linebacker Aiden Fisher, running back Justice Ellison and offensive lineman Mike Katic to join him at Lucas Oil Stadium because they represent three distinct groups on his first Indiana roster: a transfer from James Madison where Cignetti came from, a transfer from elsewhere, and a returning IU player.

Every team in the Big Ten had to pick three players to join the head coach in Indianapolis for the annual event. And there’s no doubt Cignetti views the trio he chose as some of the leaders on this 2024 edition of IU football.
This guy's a different breed of cat, and I like it.

There is one head coach, I believe 10 assistant coaches and the swarms of graduate assistants. That’s plenty of leadership.

If anything bring in a singing coach. The Hoosiers only sang one note when they would do that painful excruciating rendition of the school fight song. Fortunately they did not have to sing it very often!

LEO

I have no problem with this approach...

Leadership has to be organic in nature...

Men follow other men because they know they can trust both that they've not only put the work in to know their job and jobs of those around them, and not only will they function at their highest level possible and never quit..., they'll also find a way to get even tougher when things get rough and the deck looks stacked against them...

The last time we had that type of Leadership was when Ramsey, Whop, and McFadden were on the Team...

Hopefully we'll find we have more than just three of those type of guys on this Team...

Last edited:
Admittedly, I haven't paid a ton of attention to all this. Does Coach Cignetti have or use any catch phrases?

Seems like the MOST successful coaches don't employ those "gimmicks". Rather, they teach and demand excellence at every granular part of the game...and the results take care of themselves.

Row the Boat, LEO, Turnover Chains... Fake focus and fake energy... while the Michigans, Alabamas, and Georgias of the world are kicking everyone's ass with talent and execution.

This guy's a different breed of cat, and I like it.
Plus he's a no-nonsense Pittsburgh guy.

And his dad coached under Bobby Bowden at West Virginia before Bowden went on to be a legend at Fla State.

And I like how he says they're gonna give the coaches & players a break by not having them practice right up to the limit of hours allowed.

Plus he stops plays in practice & makes them run them again if they get it wrong.

I could go on almost indefinitely, but I will stop there....

Admittedly, I haven't paid a ton of attention to all this. Does Coach Cignetti have or use any catch phrases?

Seems like the MOST successful coaches don't employ those "gimmicks". Rather, they teach and demand excellence at every granular part of the game...and the results take care of themselves.

Row the Boat, LEO, Turnover Chains... Fake focus and fake energy... while the Michigans, Alabamas, and Georgias of the world are kicking everyone's ass with talent and execution.
Actually thought LEO was a little more authentic than RtB or hanging a chain on someone.

Plus he's a no-nonsense Pittsburgh guy.

And his dad coached under Bobby Bowden at West Virginia before Bowden went on to be a legend at Fla State.

And I like how he says they're gonna give the coaches & players a break by not having them practice right up to the limit of hours allowed.

Plus he stops plays in practice & makes them run them again if they get it wrong.

I could go on almost indefinitely, but I will stop there....
Stopping and rerunning poorly executed plays during practice is so Lombardi. IIRC the Packer Sweep was always run a full 35 yards down the field every play during practice. Still pity the poor SOB's who were in pulling guard Fuzzy Thurston's way. An animal obsessed.

Stopping and rerunning poorly executed plays during practice is so Lombardi. IIRC the Packer Sweep was always run a full 35 yards down the field every play during practice. Still pity the poor SOB's who were in pulling guard Fuzzy Thurston's way. An animal obsessed.
That was one thing I noticed about Walt Bell's offense.

I didn't hate the concepts but it didn't look like they ran anything particularly well. Compare that to, say, Deboer when he was here and you saw them run that bubble concept to perfection with Penix to Whop. It was almost like a base play they built their whole offense around. Maybe I'm old school, or just dumb, but I did the same thing with my kid's 8U team. Everything we ran was out of a jet sweep action. Get really good at one thing and build off of it but adding plays built off of the same base. But DON'T go out there half-assed at everything.

Last edited:
Yes, the key to success in football offense is run two plays very well with several plays built off those plays and it is hard to stop an offense. Too many coaches run too many different plays and practice too long instead excelling at a play or two and keeping practices short avoiding injuries.

Actually thought LEO was a little more authentic than RtB or hanging a chain on someone.
I think Allen's emotion and intent behind LEO was authentic, for sure. I just think there's very little actual football substance behind those things. And with regards to Allen and LEO, it masked his inability to teach adequately fundamental things like tackling, blocking, coverage assignments, clock management, etc...

Not taking full advantage of practice time is one of the few things I don't understand with Cig's approach. Practice time has been so restricted and watered down over the years that I don't believe anyone, let alone our Hoosiers, has the luxury of foregoing allotted practice time. This is particularly true leading up to the first season when you are putting in new systems on both sides of the ball.

I did Google Cig; however, and he seems to know what he is doing, so I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!

I understand that our new phrase this season is a bit of a spinoff of Coach Prime:

“We Cummin!”

The team will also be led onto the field by none other than a nude, blue Dionysus.
The other choices before the student board that were not chosen were (a) the Nick’s bison hauling a keg of beer (my choice) and (b) Pedophile Pete, who did not want to relocate from up north.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
Not taking full advantage of practice time is one of the few things I don't understand with Cig's approach. Practice time has been so restricted and watered down over the years that I don't believe anyone, let alone our Hoosiers, has the luxury of foregoing allotted practice time. This is particularly true leading up to the first season when you are putting in new systems on both sides of the ball.

I did Google Cig; however, and he seems to know what he is doing, so I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!
The idea is you have specific things to accomplish, you don't waste time on anything else. Once you accomplish goals you end practice while other coaches are focused on the amount of time spent. I suppose it is like being a woodworker
commissioned to produce five end tables. There are many ways to accomplish this; one may finish quality work in two days where another may take two weeks. What counts is the quality of the work at the end.

If this staff runs simple, straightforward systems and schemes then less time is needed for teaching and gives more time for repetitions. Which means more natural reacting without the hesitation created by thinking. Playing faster is the result. Big reason so many JMU are in Bloomington.

I like it. Each side of the ball gets about 70 snaps a game...and probably about 30 minutes, roughly, of actual time on the field.

At some point, the players need to be held accountable to be ready to be excellent at the start of practices, and they shouldn't need 2 plus hours and hundreds of reps to "get it right". They don't have that time and opportunity in games.

My college coach had a unique approach to practices...he sent us the first 5 minutes worth of drills, at some point during the day before practice. It had the actual drills and stuff we'd be working on, and it often changed from day to day...but we ALWAYS knew the first set of stuff before hand. Then he'd constantly be changing the flow and stuff we worked on after those drills. But we always knew if we played and executed how he wanted us to play, the practices would be no longer than 45-50 minutes. But if we didn't, we'd risk being there all night. We had a couple infamous 3+ hour practices...but the vast majority of them, and I fully believe this became a part of our makeup as a team...we came out with incredible focus and energy early, and were able to deal with suprises and new drills...because we knew we'd get done in less than an hour.

It got to the point where by middle/end of the season, we'd have other things planned, assuming we'd get the job done and get out in less than an hour.

If this staff runs simple, straightforward systems and schemes then less time is needed for teaching and gives more time for repetitions. Which means more natural reacting without the hesitation created by thinking. Playing faster is the result. Big reason so many JMU are in Bloomington.
I don't think his schemes, particularly on offense, are that simple. He utilizes a lot of formations and pre snap movement in order to get matchup advantages which adds a great deal of complexity to the offense. Cig has even commented in a condescending manner how simplistic are offense was last year.

I don't think his schemes, particularly on offense, are that simple. He utilizes a lot of formations and pre snap movement in order to get matchup advantages which adds a great deal of complexity to the offense. Cig has even commented in a condescending manner how simplistic are offense was last year.
You can make your offense look complicated while only running a couple of plays. I ran what I called a zone run with a counter off of it. I used different formations to disguise what we were doing. The counter play had variations, but it was the same play IE pull a guard, pull a guard with FB leading, guard stays FB lead block with a slot pulling as a lead blocker into the hole, it turned into the Packers power sweep with guard pulling, FB leading, and slot leading the TB. We ran a bootleg pass off this play with the slot or FB. So an offense can be complicated for the defense but easy for the offense.

You can make your offense look complicated while only running a couple of plays. I ran what I called a zone run with a counter off of it. I used different formations to disguise what we were doing. The counter play had variations, but it was the same play IE pull a guard, pull a guard with FB leading, guard stays FB lead block with a slot pulling as a lead blocker into the hole, it turned into the Packers power sweep with guard pulling, FB leading, and slot leading the TB. We ran a bootleg pass off this play with the slot or FB. So an offense can be complicated for the defense but easy for the offense.
Much better stated than I did.

Reactions: red hornet
The idea is you have specific things to accomplish, you don't waste time on anything else. Once you accomplish goals you end practice while other coaches are focused on the amount of time spent. I suppose it is like being a woodworker
commissioned to produce five end tables. There are many ways to accomplish this; one may finish quality work in two days where another may take two weeks. What counts is the quality of the work at the end.

After reading books like Run to Daylight and watching numerous documentaries, my recollection is that Lombardi’s practices were 15 minutes shorter than most other teams.

Shorter doesn’t mean easier!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT