ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Hysteria Clips...

Maybe not "leave it all on the floor" but I remember a coach who expected his players to take it seriously every time they stepped on the floor at AH; even during HH. I'll admit, I'm one of those old school fans (the ones Coach admonished at the end of last season) still living in the glory days of IU basketball when TEAM was emphasized over the individual. I believe this is why NBA coaches struggle at the college level; IMHO the NBA is the opposite of TEAM basketball. Not saying that is bad because I also think many NBA fans buy the gear and tickets to enjoy a season watching their favorite superstars do their individual thing. I think NCAA fans see it differently; perhaps that too is changing and guys like me simply need to adjust expectations. I did like Coach W's comments about IU fans being "the best" without the qualifier to start the season.

Maybe not "leave it all on the floor" but I remember a coach who expected his players to take it seriously every time they stepped on the floor at AH; even during HH. I'll admit, I'm one of those old school fans (the ones Coach admonished at the end of last season) still living in the glory days of IU basketball when TEAM was emphasized over the individual. I believe this is why NBA coaches struggle at the college level; IMHO the NBA is the opposite of TEAM basketball. Not saying that is bad because I also think many NBA fans buy the gear and tickets to enjoy a season watching their favorite superstars do their individual thing. I think NCAA fans see it differently; perhaps that too is changing and guys like me simply need to adjust expectations. I did like Coach W's comments about IU fans being "the best" without the qualifier to start the season.
Yeah, I think that's selective memory. Knight joked around at HH and while I don't think it was a dunk contest, I also don't think his teams were "gettin' after it" any harder than those guys were Saturday. I didn't see anybody f'ing around in the video and they were focused and playing, albeit not at 100%.

Have you watched NBA games recently? The effort and quality of play nowadays is so much better than it used to be. I watched the Celtics v Knicks, last night and they are passing crisply, making tons of outside shots (and FTs!) and playing good D. Not at all what the NBA was in the 80s/90s. I think those guys are making so much coin now, that they take it way more seriously, get in shape and play hard to try and maximize their earning ops and career.

The only question that needs answered is how will they play now without Edey. "Historically", they haven't been particularly good without him, or when the other team played them straight up. So your numbers are meaningless at this point.
I wouldn’t say that…they were a fluke free throw from going to final four with Carsen Edwards

I'm not the one with selective memory; I was a student during many of the Bob Knight years and I was there year after year for HH (even before it had that name) and I remember quite well. Coach Knight might have joked around (on occasion) but I assure you his players didn't. He was out on the floor participating; frequently stopping the officials to reset a play and/or redirect a player and so forth. I will concede your observations regarding recent NBA games because I quit watching about 10 years ago when a travel or camping out in the lane was rarely called on anyone with star status. As I stated in my original post, I realize there are NBA fans who thoroughly enjoy the NBA games and I get it, all props to them . . . its just not my cup of tea. Everyone has their opinion and I was merely stating mine and I respectfully appreciate yours although we certainly disagree on the differences between HH then and now.

Just re watched the scrimmage. I am not going to jump to any conclusions over a 12 minute intra squad scrimmage.
There were some things I liked and some things that did not reach my expectation level.
My two favorite guys on the court were Ballo and Hatton.
The game vs UTenn will be very telling.

First time I watched it I wasn't pleased.

Watched it again today and felt better about things.

For one thing, there was above-average effort and D played for one of these HH, which are always bad in those areas.

Rice looked pretty steady and reliable, and made a couple of shots. He's not super athletic, but will do in those areas.

Tucker showed a handle and made two fairly tough fadeaways.

Goode made two 3s and looked very much at home.

Leal did his thing, as did Cupps. Both can play a little. Those two and Goode will help us situationally.

MR made a couple of impressive plays, but was pretty much absent from the boards.

Ballo and Hutton battled. Hatton looked to be about 6' 10" or so and looked very mobile. He looked like a competitor and a team player....he surprised me more than anyone else. He will have a role.

Which concerns me some about Ballo. He'll have trouble with quick centers. He wasn't as dominant on the D end as I hoped for. Does collect the rebounds tho.

Bako couldn't hit a 3 and didn't get any rebounds that I saw. Bad scrimmage for him.

Carlyle missed all his shots and is less athletic than what I had hoped. He was the most disappointing player to me.

First time I watched it I wasn't pleased.

Watched it again today and felt better about things.

For one thing, there was above-average effort and D played for one of these HH, which are always bad in those areas.

Rice looked pretty steady and reliable, and made a couple of shots. He's not super athletic, but will do in those areas.

Tucker showed a handle and made two fairly tough fadeaways.

Goode made two 3s and looked very much at home.

Leal did his thing, as did Cupps. Both can play a little. Those two and Goode will help us situationally.

MR made a couple of impressive plays, but was pretty much absent from the boards.

Ballo and Hutton battled. Hatton looked to be about 6' 10" or so and looked very mobile. He looked like a competitor and a team player....he surprised me more than anyone else. He will have a role.

Which concerns me some about Ballo. He'll have trouble with quick centers. He wasn't as dominant on the D end as I hoped for. Does collect the rebounds tho.

Bako couldn't hit a 3 and didn't get any rebounds that I saw. Bad scrimmage for him.

Carlyle missed all his shots and is less athletic than what I had hoped. He was the most disappointing player to me.
Thanks

I'm not the one with selective memory; I was a student during many of the Bob Knight years and I was there year after year for HH (even before it had that name) and I remember quite well. Coach Knight might have joked around (on occasion) but I assure you his players didn't. He was out on the floor participating; frequently stopping the officials to reset a play and/or redirect a player and so forth. I will concede your observations regarding recent NBA games because I quit watching about 10 years ago when a travel or camping out in the lane was rarely called on anyone with star status. As I stated in my original post, I realize there are NBA fans who thoroughly enjoy the NBA games and I get it, all props to them . . . its just not my cup of tea. Everyone has their opinion and I was merely stating mine and I respectfully appreciate yours although we certainly disagree on the differences between HH then and now.
well, it's somewhat selective because my recollection is that in his first few he didn't even have a scrimmage. It was a midnight practice... with no scrimmage, no? I think he did finally start to include a scrimmage and then later (I believe after he was gone), it was renamed to HH. You'll never hear me criticize RMK for not having his players ready, or getting them to play hard, but my point was I don't believe he would want them out there running through walls and potentially hurting themselves at a "scrimmage" for HH. I think his teams would've been playing it just like CMWs team did Saturday. Don't see anything to criticize from Saturday, it was a pep rally.

Reactions: iu2win
I wouldn’t say that…they were a fluke free throw from going to final four with Carsen Edwards
Man... you really do sound like a Purdue fan. What does the Carsen Edwards team have to do with the current players struggling when Edey wasn't on the court, or when teams weren't double Edey?

Your response comes across like an emotional one, looking to defend Purdue. Which is odd if you're an IU fan?? The context of the conversation was centered around what Loyer and Smith have done their first 2 years, and that being the best barometer for how they'll play this year.

Man... you really do sound like a Purdue fan. What does the Carsen Edwards team have to do with the current players struggling when Edey wasn't on the court, or when teams weren't double Edey?

Your response comes across like an emotional one, looking to defend Purdue. Which is odd if you're an IU fan?? The context of the conversation was centered around what Loyer and Smith have done their first 2 years, and that being the best barometer for how they'll play this year.
I was just correcting your comment that they haven’t historically been good without Edey. Not emotional at all, just give them credit, they have been the better program in Indiana for last 15-20 years.

I was just correcting your comment that they haven’t historically been good without Edey. Not emotional at all, just give them credit, they have been the better program in Indiana for last 15-20 years.
Has nothing to do with the conversation in this thread. So your "correction" was out of context, and unnecessary. Unless you have some sort of urge to prop Purdue, out of context?

In other threads, I've given Painter tons of credit for winning with different types of teams.

I'll say it again...and I guess include some specific names this time to help you out with context...

Smith and Loyer, historically, haven't been all that good when Edey is on the bench, or when the opposing team chooses to guard them all straight up. So Blimpy's point about them being 40% plus or whatever he listed...doesn't mean much of anything until they show it without Edey on the roster.

Has nothing to do with the conversation in this thread. So your "correction" was out of context, and unnecessary. Unless you have some sort of urge to prop Purdue, out of context?

In other threads, I've given Painter tons of credit for winning with different types of teams.

I'll say it again...and I guess include some specific names this time to help you out with context...

Smith and Loyer, historically, haven't been all that good when Edey is on the bench, or when the opposing team chooses to guard them all straight up. So Blimpy's point about them being 40% plus or whatever he listed...doesn't mean much of anything until they show it without Edey on the roster.
My fault, I thought you were saying PU hasn’t been good without Edey. I agree it will be interesting to see if Loyer and Smith are better this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT