ADVERTISEMENT

No bowl eligibility requirements in 2020

Will be interesting to see how many below .500 teams get in a bowl this year.
They had to waive the minimum number of wins requirement because most teams aren't playing a full slate of games. I'll be surprised, though, if any sub .500 teams are selected unless it's out of necessity (i.e. there aren't enough .500 or better teams to fill all the slots).

IU was 5-4 in conference play last year. That record (5-4) would certainly qualify us for a bowl this year. Go Hoosiers!

They had to waive the minimum number of wins requirement because most teams aren't playing a full slate of games. I'll be surprised, though, if any sub .500 teams are selected unless it's out of necessity (i.e. there aren't enough .500 or better teams to fill all the slots).

IU was 5-4 in conference play last year. That record (5-4) would certainly qualify us for a bowl this year. Go Hoosiers!
Maybe the bigger question is how many bowls (if any) will even be played - outside of the national champ qualifiers. If they have to be played with few or no fans, will organizations and communities even be willing to sponsor ? If you aren't selling hotel rooms or food and beverages, there's not much economic benefit. Will schools be willing to foot the bill if there is no ticket or other revenue to offset expenses ? Will advertisers be willing to pay $ to lower-tier bowls that have limited viewing interest ?

Maybe the bigger question is how many bowls (if any) will even be played - outside of the national champ qualifiers. If they have to be played with few or no fans, will organizations and communities even be willing to sponsor ? If you aren't selling hotel rooms or food and beverages, there's not much economic benefit. Will schools be willing to foot the bill if there is no ticket or other revenue to offset expenses ? Will advertisers be willing to pay $ to lower-tier bowls that have limited viewing interest ?
Good point. I do think we'll see bowl games in addition to the CFP and the remaining New Year's Six. The Gator Bowl, for example, has already announced a plan to proceed with the game but with 25% stadium capacity. You're right, though, some lower tier bowls may well take a pass on this bowl season.

Reactions: Hoosier009

Oh I bet there will be several teams with losing records get in because power 5 teams with losing records will draw much more viewership than most nonpower 5 programs. This is of course assuming little to no fans at bowl games this year.

As for this decision, I like it. These kids deserve a reward for what they've had to adjust to this season.

I have read that bowl games make most of their money off of TV viewership, not so much ticket sales. Bowl games are consistently among the highest rated programming in a year and why there are so many of them. Football on TV around the holidays is a cash cow and I think if football is still viable from a safety perspective they will play, with or without live fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT