ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's Crean & Crimson

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
Make them bleed - the opposition that is.

As I see it any add-ons between now and next Season are limited to one if TW moves on unless someone else gives up a scholarship (limited to 13 by NCAA rule) or transfers. Next year's Roster looks like this:

1 James Blackmon, Jr. 6-4 195 Guard So. Marion, Ind. / Marion
3 OG Anunoby 6-8 215 Forward Fr. Jefferson City, Mo. / Jefferson City
4 Robert Johnson 6-3 195 Guard So. Richmond, Va. / Benedictine College Prep
5 Troy Williams 6-7 215 Forward Jr. Hampton, Va. / Oak Hill Academy
13 Juwan Morgan 6-7 205 Forward Fr. Waynesville, Mo. / Waynesville
15 Harrison Niego 6-2 185 Guard Fr. Western Springs, Ill. / Lyons Township
22 Quentin Taylor 6-2 180 Guard Fr. Indianapolis, Ind. / Brebeuf
23 Josh Newkirk 6-1 185 Guard Jr. Raleigh, N.C. / Word of God Academy Pittsburgh
30 Collin Hartman 6-7 215 Forward Jr. Indianapolis, Ind. / Cathedral
31 Thomas Bryant 6-10 245 Center Fr. Rochester, N.Y. / Huntington Prep
35 Tim Priller 6-9 225 Forward So. North Richland Hills, Texas / Richland

plus incoming:

De'Ron Davis F Aurora, CO 6'10" 235 11/12/15
Grant Gelon G Crown Point, IN 6'5" 180 8/12/15
Devonte Green G Long Island, NY 6'1" 165 1/9/16
Curtis Jones G Huntington, WV 6'4" 175 9/19/15.

Harrison Niego and Quentin Taylor are walk-ons - hard to imagine that Harrison hasn't earned a scholarship at this point, so even if Troy leaves there's not really any room left if CC & the AD do the right thing by Harrison aside from relying on the well-heeled largesse/sympathy of Niego's parents. So for 2016-17 (and beyond) the scholarship situation looks like this:

scholarships040516.jpg

Assuming Priller is content with never playing significant minutes in his collegiate career (and thus transferring) and barring any pre-arrival casualties to next/this year's recruiting class, could it be that IU's roster is complete for next Season? Can't say as that would be a bad thing, but would guess that IU picks up one more Player between now and September without anyone being run off Campus. Realize this is all but an invitation for some to trot out their favorite verb regarding CTC's recruiting legacy and reprise the endless blather about his allegedly unprincipled incompetency, but nonetheless inviting speculation about how it shakes out before it's all said and done, hopefully without the too oft-repeated criticisms about IU's general impotence as a modern-day tourney threat. Been there, done that, but if IU does pick up one (or more) additional recruit(s), who are they and how does it happen? Are any of the current Players (read as their parents) in a position to pay their own way for the glory of old IU, anyone potentially red-shirting, something else?

Dang but next year's sophomore class (TB, OG & JM) was/is solid. Another summer of drills and what not and those guys are going to be load for anyone to handle.

It seems we are getting a visit from William McDowell-White for 2016... that might indicate something is occurring....

We have one ride left if Troy leaves. Do we fill it with McSwain the high flying wing or the Australian pg?

It Troy stays (seems like a long shot at this point) we have no rides. Roster is set for next season. If Troy leaves it would assume we get either Freddie McSwain (down to us and Kansas State) or the Aussie PG. I think the Aussie is the better player but McSwain more of a need...nice to be in this situation for once. Instead of chasing Jeremiah Aprils's and Bawa Muniru's.

I have seen the expression "recruiting over" on this board many times, and it typically is used as a negative, my question is why is that? Isn't the point of building a program and a a roster to get the best available people in place? If that is the case I hope we are recruiting over EVERY player in the program, if you never do that, you will stagnate and never get any better

I have seen the expression "recruiting over" on this board many times, and it typically is used as a negative, my question is why is that? Isn't the point of building a program and a a roster to get the best available people in place? If that is the case I hope we are recruiting over EVERY player in the program, if you never do that, you will stagnate and never get any better

great way to build a family! lol

Reactions: russelltodd
From what I understand that player would not count toward your 13 scholarship allotment
Not to be trite, Scott, but they do.

You get 13 scholarships. Period. You are allowed to oversign still, but if you do so with the intent of forcing out a kid you're in trouble - because the BoR guarantees that scholarship to the kid. Which makes WHO you offer a scholly to very important.

As I said, Northwestern still has Vassar on scholarship, but not on the team.

Not to be trite, Scott, but they do.

You get 13 scholarships. Period. You are allowed to oversign still, but if you do so with the intent of forcing out a kid you're in trouble - because the BoR guarantees that scholarship to the kid. Which makes WHO you offer a scholly to very important.

As I said, Northwestern still has Vassar on scholarship, but not on the team.
this is what I don't understand if they still count then why not still have that player on the roster. I don't see what it accomplishes to not have them on the roster if they still count.

So you never want your team to get better? I mean the easiest way to improve is to get better players, right? You think it is only acceptable to bring in kids that are worse than what we have?

i'm saying you can't move players out for better players but doing it regularly creates an atmosphere we've had where players you need willing leave too. call it creaning culture. never thought our high turnover just about coaching telling guys to leave but i do think he did it enough to create a lot of instability. sure, more turnover today than ever in the game but you don't have to use it as a tool. recruit wisely and you're good.

i'm saying you can't move players out for better players but doing it regularly creates an atmosphere we've had where players you need willing leave too. call it creaning culture. never thought our high turnover just about coaching telling guys to leave but i do think he did it enough to create a lot of instability. sure, more turnover today than ever in the game but you don't have to use it as a tool. recruit wisely and you're good.

Def not a fan of forcing kids to move on, but am absolutely a fan of of bringing in the top talent we can, let's look this way, let's say Green or CuJo struggles next year (hoping not), should we not attempt to bring in Scruggs next year if we feel he is an upgrade over those two, or even Romeo the following year as both could be considered recruiting OVER who we have?

It Troy stays (seems like a long shot at this point) we have no rides. Roster is set for next season. If Troy leaves it would assume we get either Freddie McSwain (down to us and Kansas State) or the Aussie PG. I think the Aussie is the better player but McSwain more of a need...nice to be in this situation for once. Instead of chasing Jeremiah Aprils's and Bawa Muniru's.
Bawa is no tijan. Jeremiah is no bawa!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT