ADVERTISEMENT

Newton/Jeffries - Race/Trayce

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Seeing Race and Trayce at the B1G media day and together at the Tennessee/Alabama game reminded me of one of my favorite tandems on the court.

The thought has crossed my mind that Race/Trayce could be as effective on both ens as Newton/Jeffries. Back in 2002, if Newton was defending someone, Jeffries would come block the shot or vice versa. Same on the offensive end where one would draw a double team and drop the ball off to the other. They had a good sense of what each other was doing and where they would be

Race and Trayce have been together for awhile and it would be wonderful to see history repeat itself.

True. A great tandem. That was great length we had. Trace and Race not have height or length of those two but a valid comparison overall. I think this year’s team is undersized against your big time programs. It could hurt us. Hopefully our length in the backcourt evens is out.

Reactions: kkott
True. A great tandem. That was great length we had. Trace and Race not have height or length of those two but a valid comparison overall. I think this year’s team is undersized against your big time programs. It could hurt us. Hopefully our length in the backcourt evens is out.
I don't know, it seems to me that teams don't have the size along the front line that was more popular in the 90-00's, except for a few teams (aka Purdue!). I assume because kids with size and skill don't stay generally and it also seems to me the trend is to smaller 4s with more perimeter skills. You don't get better than UNC and I think our size is fairly comparable, although Nance is taller than Manek was. Plus, if your 4 stays on the perimeter, any height advantage is mitigated a bit. I don't think we'll be undersized against almost any team except PU and that really comes down to a single position.

Don't forget about Odle...he was a solid inside contributor when the 2002 team got hot in the tourney. I don't think we get to the F4 without him.
Odle really did develop, from someone I'd come not to expect much out of. Sort of like a Tom Pritchard, but a better shooter maybe? My memory is that Pritchard was a little bigger and maybe better defender/rebounder, and Odle better out on the floor?

Don't forget about Odle...he was a solid inside contributor when the 2002 team got hot in the tourney. I don't think we get to the F4 without him.
Dont forget about Odle? Dont forget about Leach!!!

George and Newt were always at my buddies house, Joe, his family was for sure funneling money and other things to them at the time. (Sorry holier than thou guys we have always dabbled in the gray) Anyways one night Joe took me over to Summit Pointe Apts to meet up with George, he was the hook up for their sticky icky. We got their and I'm 16-17 at the time and look legit 12.

George looks at me and is like shit should you be in school reading a book or something??? I looked at him and said shit George lets not talk about who should be in school learning to read. We laughed and blazed a fatty. OOOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEE was born that night.

George and Newt were always at my buddies house, Joe, his family was for sure funneling money and other things to them at the time. (Sorry holier than thou guys we have always dabbled in the gray) Anyways one night Joe took me over to Summit Pointe Apts to meet up with George, he was the hook up for their sticky icky. We got their and I'm 16-17 at the time and look legit 12.

George looks at me and is like shit should you be in school reading a book or something??? I looked at him and said shit George lets not talk about who should be in school learning to read. We laughed and blazed a fatty. OOOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEE was born that night.
Odle was much more pivotal than George that year, although George did play better to end the season and had some good stretches in the tournament as I recall. Still, better BBQ than BIG imho! I've met him on a couple occassions and he is a great guy and rep for the program, imo.

Odle was much more pivotal than George that year, although George did play better to end the season and had some good stretches in the tournament as I recall. Still, better BBQ than BIG imho! I've met him on a couple occassions and he is a great guy and rep for the program, imo.
Odle put up 15/5 (on 7-9 shooting) vs Dook and only played 18 minutes. Critical when you look back and see Cov/Fife/Hornsby combined for only 13 pts. JJ, Odle and Moye basically won that game for us (JJ first and foremost, ...24/15 against #1 is pretty damn solid)

Baylor won the title a few years ago with a 6’9” guy and a 6’6” guy (Nova was always small, too). They could shoot the lights out and play great defense, though. The game has changed and Painter still thinks it’s the 80’s, when big men still ruled.

Baylor won the title a few years ago with a 6’9” guy and a 6’6” guy (Nova was always small, too). They could shoot the lights out and play great defense, though. The game has changed and Painter still thinks it’s the 80’s, when big men still ruled.
Perhaps the B10 is still partially stuck in the 80s?

that team got better when leach got hurt

Yes. Tackle football on the court. The B1G needs to get with it.
Probably 15 years ago I was talking to a really smart guy (friend of my Dads), about basketball. He was all Big ten as a basketball player. He said he couldn’t even watch the game as it had turned into wrestling. oh, and he played at MSU so it’s not like the school he played for was lousy.

The most interesting part of his comment was that here he was, a guy in a beaten down body, looking and feeling way older than he should have at the time. Commenting on basketball turning into wresting. He didn’t get that way playing basketball (the NFL), he would know. Good guy, died way too young.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Probably 15 years ago I was talking to a really smart guy (friend of my Dads), about basketball. He was all Big ten as a basketball player. He said he couldn’t even watch the game as it had turned into wrestling. oh, and he played at MSU so it’s not like the school he played for was lousy.

The most interesting part of his comment was that here he was, a guy in a beaten down body, looking and feeling way older than he should have at the time. Commenting on basketball turning into wresting. He didn’t get that way playing basketball (the NFL), he would know. Good guy, died way too young.
Wisconsin and MSU got away with to much. How many players have gotten injured because of those jacka$$ players and coaches.

Wisconsin and MSU got away with to much. How many players have gotten injured because of those jacka$$ players and coaches.
And those 2 teams have had success. So, if the goal is to win the conference you need to deal with that style, and build your teams that way.

And those 2 teams have had success. So, if the goal is to win the conference you need to deal with that style, and build your teams that way.
It’s more of how they got away with stuff others don’t. That style is on its way out as it should be. Time to modernize the B1G. I think it will eventually happen.

Reactions: ericrossiu
I may be in the minority but I still think it's more fun to watch than the globetrotter style you see everywhere else these days. You need to earn the points in the big ten.
Yeah, I like good hard defense, but at least in the NBA, the really good teams do both: open, fast-paced freewheeling offense, and play aggressive D. I think the days of the party guy pro are largely gone. With the escalation of the salaries, guys are getting serious and hire trainers, nutritionists, psychologists, etc... and take it seriously and I think the average skill level is so much higher. But, I like bearing down and playing good hard defense. Where I draw the line is teams like Pitino's Lville teams and the 80s Gtown teams where they basically played thug ball and foul multiple times every posession trying to get the refs to lighten up. That I don't enjoy, but I don't feel like that's B10 ball.

Yeah, I like good hard defense, but at least in the NBA, the really good teams do both: open, fast-paced freewheeling offense, and play aggressive D. I think the days of the party guy pro are largely gone. With the escalation of the salaries, guys are getting serious and hire trainers, nutritionists, psychologists, etc... and take it seriously and I think the average skill level is so much higher. But, I like bearing down and playing good hard defense. Where I draw the line is teams like Pitino's Lville teams and the 80s Gtown teams where they basically played thug ball and foul multiple times every posession trying to get the refs to lighten up. That I don't enjoy, but I don't feel like that's B10 ball.
I'm old so I appreciate hard nosed D (not dirty, but hard nosed...whatever that means) and defensive rebounding. It's really the only way you can claw back into a game when you're down. Look at the games last year when we were up (Bucky in Madison-perfect example), we start missing shots, one-and-done possessions, a few turnovers, and before you know it, the lead is gone.

Very difficult to shoot your way back into a one-sided game (sans the game in the Barn last year when Minny went out of their minds in the final 5 minutes).

But I've never liked the UW or MSU style of wrestle-ball. Or Rutgers and their thug-ball.

Oh...and have I ever mentioned...make your damn free throws?

Yep, plenty of stories about the gray area. Mostly about a local wealthy fan loaning their credit card to players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT