ADVERTISEMENT

New schedule

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
What is this “new schedule” I read about?
College FB will now be Feb to May?
Is this really being discussed?
All I see are negatives; it would compete with basketball and MLB, it would occur during cold and flu spring season, and spring practice would now be in the fall.
What would be the positives?

If we don't have football in the fall, we're not going to have football for the year. Besides competing with other sports and being during what is gonna end up being cold/flu/COVID season, it's going to be damn near impossible to play games. Can you imagine opening in Madison in February? Or playing any games in the northern states.

Because I FULLY expect the schools/NCAA/Government to limit crowd size until a vaccine is widely available, they'd be playing in front of few to no fans anyway.

The ONLY reason I can see them pushing it back to the Spring is if the campuses remain closed to students. But here's where the school's can make their pitch to re-open to athletes, if even only athletes. Graduation rates still suck across major men's sports. A lot of these kids need the support the university provides to have the best chance to succeed. Get them back on campus, test them on the way in. Keep them quarantined in their dorm/practice facility. Play in front of no fans.

Any talk of moving the season at this point is the what was going on that week in March when sports leagues started announcing playing in front of limited or no fans to maintain normalcy at the start of a pandemic and the dominoes kept falling from there to full cancellation.

I agree that based on some individual players environments they could be better off in a controlled environment like school. That would allow a structured continued virtual education as well as nutrition and some type of staggered access to individual workouts and some type of virtual training. Playing without fans is obviously not ideal but the colleges have plenty of money and would likely even profit via commercials and payments to stream all of their games rather than just have some games available to the public. It would also certainly be a nice mental health improvement for many of us. I am certainly open to anyone’s ideas

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
I would much rather see the players, coaches, and their families self isolated on campus with on essential people on campus. Play the fall season with no fans if necessary but I think the climate with this virus will change as more and more people demand to return to their lives.

I would hate to see the season in the spring but if that is the only way to have the season so be it.

If we don't have football in the fall, we're not going to have football for the year. Besides competing with other sports and being during what is gonna end up being cold/flu/COVID season, it's going to be damn near impossible to play games. Can you imagine opening in Madison in February? Or playing any games in the northern states.

Because I FULLY expect the schools/NCAA/Government to limit crowd size until a vaccine is widely available, they'd be playing in front of few to no fans anyway.

The ONLY reason I can see them pushing it back to the Spring is if the campuses remain closed to students. But here's where the school's can make their pitch to re-open to athletes, if even only athletes. Graduation rates still suck across major men's sports. A lot of these kids need the support the university provides to have the best chance to succeed. Get them back on campus, test them on the way in. Keep them quarantined in their dorm/practice facility. Play in front of no fans.

Any talk of moving the season at this point is the what was going on that week in March when sports leagues started announcing playing in front of limited or no fans to maintain normalcy at the start of a pandemic and the dominoes kept falling from there to full cancellation.
I can’t see any scenario where they would open up campus just for sports. That’s not gonna happen. It’s either all or none

If I was a real smart-a##, I'd say we're already self-limiting our crowd size.

But, of course, I'm not......:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT