ADVERTISEMENT

New Rule - If You Can’t Count Your Senate Race Votes

I’m just amused to read that this counting-votes-slowly-issue is being trotted out as a reason why people distrust election results. If they end up counting super quick, is that also suspicious? “How could they possibly know already who won this race?!? It must have been predetermined by the deep state….”.
I’m not suggesting that slow counting equates to any type of fraud and I certainly don’t believe that. I’m just looking at this from a process and efficiency perspective. There’s a better way to do it.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Okay…let me try a different angle.

Would you, Cosmickid, like to see all states adopt the Florida model?
Yes or no?
Why are you calling it the "FL model"? It's not unique, it's just that they are an atypical GOP controlled battleground state where early mail votes are tabulated as they are received. I doubt that DeSantis has anything to do with that or that it's even his preference...

Yes I would obviously prefer that early/mail votes are counted first. We do that to an extent in IN, as even though all of our Oct ballots were deposited for safekeeping in envelopes in ballot boxes, we actually started scanning and counting those ballots on Nov 1. We also switched to scanning actual ballots as they were cast on Nov 1.

On election day at each precinct the voters cast/scanned their ballots simultaneously. Then as part of our after hours closeout procedure each precinct tabulated the machine count of votes cast and matched that up with a count/double count of paper ballots collected inside the scanner.

It's a huge part of the reason we were there till 8 pm, even though my precinct had less than 1000 votes cast...That was just a numerical counting of actual votes, and thats where clerks exited the process. Judges and Inspectors tabulated and authenticated the the actual vote tallies at election central late into the night...

Reactions: Bill4411
I will point out that here the alleged conservatives are arguing against federalism, long, long, long, a major belief of conservatives. I have no issue with federals overriding the states, but I don't pretend to be conservative. Just another example why Trump followers are not really conservatives. Populists are not conservatives.

But to put it in perspective, Colorado has a law that military ballots have until Friday to arrive and be counted. Bobert is behind by 60 votes last I saw, she could well win on votes coming in tomorrow. The correct answer is what I am about to give. There is no paranoid plot, no grand conspiracy. If she wins, she wins using the laws the people of Colorado created. I may wonder why they want to be represented by someone batcrap crazy, but it is their right. The fact the people of Colorado don't consult me on what their timetable is does not matter nor make it a conspiracy. If she wins, darn, it but the system worked.

Some people have medical issues, I get that and feel bad for them. But some CHOOSE to be paranoid and those making that choice don't get to determine policy for the rest of us.

Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep.
Love the Stills reference. CO law requires a recount if the margin is less than .5%, so that seems where we are headed. Interesting insight on this race, from local Denver news...

Why are you calling it the "FL model"? It's not unique, it's just that they are an atypical GOP controlled battleground state where early mail votes are tabulated as they are received. I doubt that DeSantis has anything to do with that or that it's even his preference...

Yes I would obviously prefer that early/mail votes are counted first. We do that to an extent in IN, as even though all of our Oct ballots were deposited for safekeeping in envelopes in ballot boxes, we actually started scanning and counting those ballots on Nov 1. We also switched to scanning actual ballots as they were cast on Nov 1.

On election day at each precinct the voters cast/scanned their ballots simultaneously. Then as part of our after hours closeout procedure each precinct tabulated the machine count of votes cast and matched that up with a count/double count of paper ballots collected inside the scanner.

It's a huge part of the reason we were there till 8 pm, even though my precinct had less than 1000 votes cast...That was just a numerical counting of actual votes, and thats where clerks exited the process. Judges and Inspectors tabulated and authenticated the the actual vote tallies at election central late into the night...
Well, knowing that you are a poll worker, and reading the posts from some of the conservatives on this site about that fact, I'm surprised there wasn't a statewide blue wave Tuesday night.
You have to try harder in 2024.

Well, knowing that you are a poll worker, and reading the posts from some of the conservatives on this site about that fact, I'm surprised there wasn't a statewide blue wave Tuesday night.
You have to try harder in 2024.
Is Cosmicbot’s name James Zheng?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Where I voted it was a machine but they added a twist this year. You submitted your vote but then there was a paper printout that you also had to verify that the vote was recorded correctly before hitting a final submit.

Also had to have your ID scanned (secure) and then electronically sign (basically worthless) before voting.
Must have voted n GA

And Boebert took the lead this afternoon. No conspiracy, no fix, it is how it works.

I also heard a story, Indiana is still counting votes. We just think Indiana is efficient when it really is just easy to appear done if there is only one party.

in 48 hours, you lose the spot - your dumb-ass incompetent state has 1 Senator instead of 2 until the next election.

Same with House Reps.

Snooze, you lose.

This is ridiculous, and gives stupid life to stupid conspiracy theories.

It isn’t 1950 anymore.

Modernize or get out of the way.
Take it up with (GOP lawyer) Bill Gates...

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I don't think any results should be released until BOTH sides agree that the counting is complete.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't think any results should be released until BOTH sides agree that the counting is complete.
How would both sides not know the counting is complete? The counting teams are bi-partisan, and people know when they have finished counting...

How would both sides not know the counting is complete? The counting teams are bi-partisan, and people know when they have finished counting...
I know that and when every precinct (district or however it's counted) has reported that their count is complete then the votes are added up and released.

Reactions: 76-1
Just to be clear, not a single state has announced a winner in any race so far.

I think people assume that when the news services declare winners the vote is all counted and the states are certifying winners. The truth is in any close election we have ever had, this happens. It just has seldom mattered.

I think people assume that when the news services declare winners the vote is all counted and the states are certifying winners. The truth is in any close election we have ever had, this happens. It just has seldom mattered.
Exactly. We simply don't have systems in place to count all the votes in one night. In some cases, it's not even possible, because we have laws in place allowing overseas military to vote so long as their ballots arrive up to I think 10 days after the election. But in most cases, we don't need to wait for the state to make an announcement, because the various decision desks can look at the results so far and make an educated guess as to what will end up happening.

Uncalled races are generally uncalled because they are close.

When a news organization makes a call, iin my experience the call is accompanied by what percent of votes are in.

The delay problem with elections now is signature verification, not counting. When a worker is handed a mail ballot, the worker must dig up the voter’s file, then match the ballot envelope signature with the one on file, then open the envelope, then physically put the ballot into the pile to be run through the tabulator. That is far different from a few years ago when all you had to do was take a ballot out of the ballot box and put it in the tabulating machine.

In Colorado, the mail ballots are counted as they are received. Mine was accepted and counted when I actually was in Indiana. I don’t understand how other states don’t count until Election Day. In Az they have a bunch of mail ballots dumped on Election Day. Then they must do that whole tedious signature varification thing. There are better ways.

Exactly. We simply don't have systems in place to count all the votes in one night. In some cases, it's not even possible, because we have laws in place allowing overseas military to vote so long as their ballots arrive up to I think 10 days after the election. But in most cases, we don't need to wait for the state to make an announcement, because the various decision desks can look at the results so far and make an educated guess as to what will end up happening.

Uncalled races are generally uncalled because they are close.
Yes, we do have the systems to count votes in hours instead of days. The delay is signature verification.

Reactions: Crayfish57
When a news organization makes a call, iin my experience the call is accompanied by what percent of votes are in.

The delay problem with elections now is signature verification, not counting. When a worker is handed a mail ballot, the worker must dig up the voter’s file, then match the ballot envelope signature with the one on file, then open the envelope, then physically put the ballot into the pile to be run through the tabulator. That is far different from a few years ago when all you had to do was take a ballot out of the ballot box and put it in the tabulating machine.

In Colorado, the mail ballots are counted as they are received. Mine was accepted and counted when I actually was in Indiana. I don’t understand how other states don’t count until Election Day. In Az they have a bunch of mail ballots dumped on Election Day. Then they must do that whole tedious signature varification thing. There are better ways.

The Maricopa guy, Bill Gates, explained this. He said this is the same system they have used in Arizona since the 90s, when he was a lawyer hired by the Republicans, to watch the process.

On election day, people can vote at the precinct and those votes are counted by a machine and appear fairly quickly.

OR a voter can deposit a ballot into a vote drop box on election day. Arizona does count votes early, but they have to arrive early to be counted. This year there was a 70% increase in drop box ballots on election day. There was no way to count them early.

He said if anyone is unhappy with that system they should contact their AZ state elected officials.

It isn't too weird, as I noted Boebert took the lead in CO this afternoon. Your state is still counting.

Last edited:
The Maricopa guy, Bill Gates, explained this. He said this is the same system they have used in Arizona since the 90s, when he was a lawyer hired by the Republicans, to watch the process.

On election day, people can vote at the precinct and those votes are counted by a machine and appear fairly quickly.

OR a voter can deposit a ballot into a vote drop box on election day. Arizona does count votes early, but they have to arrive early to be counted. This year there was a 70% increase in drop box ballots on election day. There was no way to count them early.

He said if anyone is unhappy with that system they should contact their AZ state elected officials.

It isn't too weird, as I noted Boebert took the lead in CO this afternoon. Your state is still counting.
It isn't and never was signature verification. It's as you say. Votes in close elections that haven't been counted yet.

It isn't and never was signature verification. It's as you say. Votes in close elections that haven't been counted yet.
Not exactly, those drop box ballots have to go through signature verification AND be counted.

It does seem many Arizona people were afraid to use the drop box before election day. That is why there is a belief these will skew R even in a D county.

Now why people choose to go to a drop box instead of a polling site on election day is a question. But under federalism the good people of Arizona have the right to make the decision to allow it and they have.

No it isn't. You're just making that up.
It’s ballots in close elections that haven’t been processed. Mail ballots take more time to process and count. Processing includes signature match, checking eligibility, checking to see if the voter has already voted, and opening the envelope and putting the ballot in a secure place to be counted. The actual counting is the least onerous part of the process. In Colorado, the envelope has a bar code, so maybe some of that might be done by scanning and computing. In-person voted ballots are ”processed” the moment the voter puts it in the slot. All that’s left is counting. The verification part is finished. If you can‘t understand this, I can’t help you.

It’s ballots in close elections that haven’t been processed. Mail ballots take more time to process and count. Processing includes signature match, checking eligibility, checking to see if the voter has already voted, and opening the envelope and putting the ballot in a secure place to be counted. The actual counting is the least onerous part of the process. In Colorado, the envelope has a bar code, so maybe some of that might be done by scanning and computing. In-person voted ballots are ”processed” the moment the voter puts it in the slot. All that’s left is counting. The verification part is finished. If you can‘t understand this, I can’t help you.

But even in Colorado they are still counting, Boebert gained a LOT of votes yesterday (as I noted elsewhere in this thread). It isn't a conspiracy or fraud, it is just how the system is. I may not like Boebert (I don't) but she has a right to every vote legally cast for her.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
But even in Colorado they are still counting, Boebert gained a LOT of votes yesterday (as I noted elsewhere in this thread). It isn't a conspiracy or fraud, it is just how the system is. I may not like Boebert (I don't) but she has a right to every vote legally cast for her.
Not exactly. Some counties are still reporting . That could be due to a number factors, including counting or processing provisionals. The last report was 11 pm yesterday. I don’t know what counties are outstanding nor how many ballots haven’t been processed or where they are.

What is the point if your conspiracy or fraud remark? Are you over generalizing again? And Boebert did not gain a lot. She gained a very small percent.

Not exactly, those drop box ballots have to go through signature verification AND be counted.

It does seem many Arizona people were afraid to use the drop box before election day. That is why there is a belief these will skew R even in a D county.

Now why people choose to go to a drop box instead of a polling site on election day is a question. But under federalism the good people of Arizona have the right to make the decision to allow it and they have.
Okay, but it's still nothing new. This happens every election in the very close races.

Not exactly. Some counties are still reporting . That could be due to a number factors, including counting or processing provisionals. The last report was 11 pm yesterday. I don’t know what counties are outstanding nor how many ballots haven’t been processed or where they are.

What is the point if your conspiracy or fraud remark? Are you over generalizing again? And Bopert DoD not gain a lot. She gained a very small percent.

Right, and they have to process/count military ballots arriving today. And provisional ballots can be counted up to 9 days after an election. So if a race were very close, it wouldn't be until the end of business next Wednesday that a final vote could be determined (assuming there are any outstanding provisional ballots).

The system cannot get us a winner on election night if the vote is close. It never has been able to. I pointed out the election of 1876 yesterday that went months.

Of course elections that are 65-35 can be called very early. But 50-50? No way.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Right, and they have to process/count military ballots arriving today. And provisional ballots can be counted up to 9 days after an election. So if a race were very close, it wouldn't be until the end of business next Wednesday that a final vote could be determined (assuming there are any outstanding provisional ballots).

The system cannot get us a winner on election night if the vote is close. It never has been able to. I pointed out the election of 1876 yesterday that went months.

Of course elections that are 65-35 can be called very early. But 50-50? No way.
All results are “unofficial” until the results are certified. That is a whole different thing and happens well after election night. Until certification occurs, the door is also open to challenges through the courts.

in 48 hours, you lose the spot - your dumb-ass incompetent state has 1 Senator instead of 2 until the next election.

Same with House Reps.

Snooze, you lose.

This is ridiculous, and gives stupid life to stupid conspiracy theories.

It isn’t 1950 anymore.

Modernize or get out of the way.

I see the Kentucky does not have all their votes yet counted in the Senate race.... so I guess Paul is out?

Or is there some threshold you forgot to include?

All results are “unofficial” until the results are certified. That is a whole different thing and happens well after election night. Until certification occurs, the door is also open to challenges through the courts.
Right, but until then votes are fluid. If an election is 178,982 to 178,981 there is absolutely no idea who is going to win until every last military ballot is accounted for and all provisional ballots are accounted for.

And even then, who knows.

I see the Kentucky does not have all their votes yet counted in the Senate race.... so I guess Paul is out?

Or is there some threshold you forgot to include?

Fortunately, this board has a retired lawyer in Kentucky who can sue to block Paul on grounds he didn't win soon enough. Given he started the thread, I am sure he is itching to file said suit.

In a local race, a bunch of scanned early votes were found yesterday. They were scanned and stored on a hard drive before election day, which is a new law this year allowing votes to be counted before election day in Indiana. But when they counted the votes on election day, they forgot to add in the early votes. A 1200 vote race became a 37 vote race with provisional ballots still to go.

So not only do all the votes have to be counted, an audit has to happen to make sure the total votes cast equals the total votes counted.

Just a stab...

FL has always relied heavily on absentee ballots, so the GOP Legislature there wasn't invested in trying to minimalize absentee/mail ballots by ensuring they are counted last. Same with OH and IN, 2 states with GOP Legislatures who aren't particularly tied to Trump and therefore aren't all in on trying to promote the red mist theory...

The issue in AZ is the GOP Legislature (heavily invested in Trump) and the Maricopa Co election board which is GOP controlled but not heavily tied to Trump. Sheer size is an issue- Maricopa Co is the 2nd largest election jurisdiction in the country and represents 60% of Arizona's electorate...

But as we saw with the "cyber ninja" farce, AZ is full of wackos, and more than a few are in the State Legislature. So they have done things like institute super strict verification processes, which combine with rules on when ballots can start to be processed to slow down the entire process.

Currently "late earlies" (early ballots dropped off ON Election day, can not begin to be processed till all the other early votes are counted. In AZ this year, 100,000 more late earlies were dropped off than in 2020. And since the ballots dropped off thru the weekend and Mon have to be counted first, it's pretty much the late earlies that are yet to be counted... Some insight into required "verification"...

"When people are told to drop off their early ballot on Election Day, those can't be counted that night. You can't just run them through a machine. They have to be signature checked, scanned first, signature checked, then processed by a bipartisan board before they can be counted," said former Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell.

Purcell said there has been a massive increase in the number of early ballots cast. Currently, workers are counting ballots that came in over the weekend before Election Day, and on the Monday before Election Day.

"You can't have it instantaneous unless we had a race where we had 60% and 20%," said Helen Purcell.

According to Maricopa County Recorder Stephen Richer, 100,000 more "late earlies" were dropped off this Election Day than in 2020. It's the highest number of early ballots turned in on Election Day in the county's history.

Richer himself has noted that this might spark up a policy debate about the benefits of dropping off early ballots right up to Election Night versus the value of getting immediate answers about election results."

NV is a more complex issue. Maybe someone else has some insight into that situation...
i.e. "I couldn't find any link that Republicans for Nevada".

"OR a voter can deposit a ballot into a vote drop box on election day. Arizona does count votes early, but they have to arrive early to be counted. This year there was a 70% increase in drop box ballots on election day. There was no way to count them early."

Actually it's even more convoluted than that in AZ, thanks to the GOP...

A lot of the outstanding ballots in AZ were not dropped off in drop boxes on election day, but rather at precincts. That's because the GOP doesn't "trust" drop boxes and urged their voters to drop them off in person, rather than in drop boxes. That means with all of the signature verification issues those ballots end up being counted last and that will be the final delay.

I think it's related to dropbox ballots being collected and processed by a dedicated team with assigned roles, while unexpected ballots dropped off at various precincts on election day have to be kept separated and then processed as a group... As someone who worked at a precinct ,the last thing we had the time or manpower to deal with would have been thousands of people dropping off sealed ballots which would then have to be opened ,have their signature verified and finally days later fed by hand into a scanner...

The irony is that it was a record number of loose ballots dropped off at precincts (about 290,000) and they likely skew GOP. Probably not enough to elect Masters, but possibly Lake and Finchem. Kind of seems appropriate that people too paranoid to use the prescribed method of dropping votes off (at a drop box), could not only delay the process by their foolishness, but could also be responsible for saddling the rest of AZ with other paranoid lunatics like Lake and Finchem...

AZ Republic reporter Laurie Roberts exposed the process ,and berated prominent Republicans (Finchem, Lake) for whining over a slow process that they were complicit in creating...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT