ADVERTISEMENT

Need some book suggestions.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Now that my days and nights are free of football I’m considering going back to reading books. Any suggestions?

Last two books I really enjoyed, but are totally different were:

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

I also recently went back to read one of my favorites, the Alienist by Caleb Carr. I saw they’re making this into a TV show. Not sure how I feel about this, but it’s a great book.

So I’ve managed to never read a Stephen King book. With the IT being released I’ve been wondering is this where I start or do you guys recommend another one of his books first?

I’m very open to suggestions.

TIA

The new and improved Football less Eppy

Now that my days and nights are free of football I’m considering going back to reading books. Any suggestions?

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

I also recently went back to read one of my favorites, the Alienist by Caleb Carr. I saw they’re making this into a TV show. Not sure how I feel about this, but it’s a great book.

So I’ve managed to never read a Stephen King book. With the IT being released I’ve been wondering is this where I start or do you guys recommend another one of his books first?

TIA

I can't recommend this one highly enough. I couldn't put it down.
10644930._UY475_SS475_.jpg

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

TIA

Mr. Mercedes is a good King. My fav is The Stand.

Reactions: bwcoach

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

TIA

Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Very long read but underscores what studs the leaders of our Revolution really were. Only read if you are into history. You will know more about the American Revolution than you ever have.

Last edited:

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

TIA

What kinds of books do you normally enjoy?

I prefer magazines with centerfolds.

Honestly I don’t read much at all. These days I listen to podcasts. I do like everything Thomas Friedman has written. I like Dan Brown, John LeCarre, Scott Turow, Clancy.

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
I prefer magazines with centerfolds.

Honestly I don’t read much at all. These days I listen to podcasts. I do like everything Thomas Friedman has written. I like Dan Brown, John LeCarre, Scott Turow, Clancy.
You like mysteries so try Nelson DeMille or Michael Connelly.

No ones listed them I don't believe, but I really like all the Erik Larsen books I've read. He finds incredible stories from history to recount and interweaves a compelling personal story or 2. In the Garden of Beasts (WW2, Nazis), Devil in the White City (Chicago Worlds Fair), Isaac's Storm (Galveston Hurricane), Dead Wake (Lusitania sinking) and Thunderstruck (murder set around development of radio/transatlantic communication), were all great reads. I put them in my order of personal favorites. If you like one, I think you'll enjoy them all.

Last edited:
No ones listed them I don't believe, but I really like all the Erik Larsen books I've read. He finds incredible stories from history to recount. In the Garden of Beasts (WW2, Nazis), Devil in the White City (Chicago Worlds Fair), Isaac's Storm (Galveston Hurricane), Dead Wake (Lusitania sinking) and Thunderstruck (murder set around development of radio/transatlantic communication), were all great reads. I put them in my order of personal favorites. If you like one, I think you'll enjoy them all.

Sounds good. Think I'll give his books a shot.

Reactions: kkott
Good selection of books. I have not read many of them, although I try to read at least ten pages every day and at least 15 books a year. It's my hobby, so to speak, but lately I've been so immersed in student problems that I don't have much free time to read. As soon as I find someone who can write my essay for me to solve academic problems, I will immediately return to reading. I have kept your recommendations.

Last edited:
Ready Player Two is out. Andy Weir has a couple realistic sci-fi books out...The Martian was way better as a book. And Artemis is a fun read.

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

TIA
goldentreeroofing.com
Some of my recommendations along with justifications! Enjoy! Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. It begins with "Storm Front." He's a practicing wizard for hire who rents out a basement in Chicago. He lives with a cat and a talking skull. Great stories. Harry Potter series. No plug necessary. The DaVinci Code. Not a fantasy novel, but borderline. No plug necessary. The Keep. Not a fantasy novel, but as with the DaVinci Code, it's borderline. Hard to describe. I suppose the core tale is two cousins who haven't met since a horrible childhood incident. One ends up a vagabond, the other a millionaire. The vagabond shows up in Eastern Europe to help the rich cousin refurbish a medieval castle he's just bought. For people who love character's with depth, but streamlined prose, this is about as good as it gets. Simon Green's Nightside series. It begins with "Something from the Nightside." He's a private eye, and apparently the son of some unspeakably evil being. Gods cross the street when they see him coming, and faceless beings with razors for fingers are constantly trying to kill him...and he has no idea why. At least his secretary works pretty cheaply since he saved her from that man-eating house. Tongue-in-cheek, but incredibly great stories. "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. There is this quiet girl who works at a quiet cafe. Her name is Sunshine and she loves to cook. :) I am not a fan of vampire books. I never made it through the 1st chapter of Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire." I thought this would be a vampire book, more so because the bookstore clerk kept gushing about it, but when I got it home I realized it was an incredibly awesome urban fantasy that just happened to include vampires. Very surreal. It's candy for the mind. I'd explain it more, but I can't. You kind of have to experience it to understand. I wish I had wrote it. Five damn stars, all the way. "Dauntless" by Jack Campbell. It's your typical soldier-gets-frozen- for-100-years-only-to-dethaw-and-discover-that-there's-a-war-between- his-side-of-the-galaxy-and-the-other-side-and-he's-a-living-legend story. Things look grim, the chips are down, and he's suddenly in command of an entire space fleet (or what remains of it). I thought I wouldn't be that interested in this book, let alone recommend it, but somehow it works really well. He continues it with several books. All are awesome and that's saying something since I don't read sci-fi much anymore. "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. This girl can open doors between normal London and *real* London. She's on the run and about to die at the hands of assassins. She opens a door to "somewhere safe." Enter a Londonian wage-slave. Great book by Gaiman. "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. And hell, "American Gods" too. The first is about a modern British lad who's trying to get a girl. Just to get rid of him she tells him that if he fetches the falling star that just streaked through the sky for her, she'll marry him. And thus begins his quest. Prolly the best Gaiman book. The second book is a modern tale about long-forgotten gods... "Goblin Quest" is the first novel in a trilogy and is very entertaining. To give a brief synopsis (which is leaving out an awful lot), the lead character is a goblin, huddling in his cave, trying to avoid "adventurers" whose only purpose is to slay his kind...until he "decides" to join up with one such group. Very imaginative and certainly the most different novel I've read in a long time. I love how it's creative, engaging, and humorous (from the goblin's perspective) and yet serious (when from the...other...lead character's perspective). "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss is a phenomenal fantasy novel. It's the author's first novel and it's right up there with the classics. Yeah, it's that good. Like "Sunshine" it's a novel where the prose is so smooth and flowing it's a joy just to read the text written by a master. "The Magician's Guild" by Trudi Canavan. It pains me to recommend this, it really does. The author is overly wordy (but nowhere near Robert Jordan's or Terry Goodkind's level) which is the main drawback. This is the age-old tale of the zero who becomes a hero. It's the clichéd story of a poor urchin who discovers she has strange abilities and gets sent to a prestigious school. I really can't say why I like this trilogy except to say that I'm a sucker for "magic kids going to a magic school" novels. A good read, if you can get around her overly descriptive tendencies. "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks. Every Christmas someone will buy me a novel as a present and every year the novel sucks. Last year was an exception when I got this novel. I thought I wouldn't like it but the trilogy had me enthralled. It's the tale of a slum child who becomes the protege of a master assassin...who turns out to be far more than just a mere assassin. Get it. You'll love it.

Some of my recommendations along with justifications! Enjoy! Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. It begins with "Storm Front." He's a practicing wizard for hire who rents out a basement in Chicago. He lives with a cat and a talking skull. Great stories. Harry Potter series. No plug necessary. The DaVinci Code. Not a fantasy novel, but borderline. No plug necessary. The Keep. Not a fantasy novel, but as with the DaVinci Code, it's borderline. Hard to describe. I suppose the core tale is two cousins who haven't met since a horrible childhood incident. One ends up a vagabond, the other a millionaire. The vagabond shows up in Eastern Europe to help the rich cousin refurbish a medieval castle he's just bought. For people who love character's with depth, but streamlined prose, this is about as good as it gets. Simon Green's Nightside series. It begins with "Something from the Nightside." He's a private eye, and apparently the son of some unspeakably evil being. Gods cross the street when they see him coming, and faceless beings with razors for fingers are constantly trying to kill him...and he has no idea why. At least his secretary works pretty cheaply since he saved her from that man-eating house. Tongue-in-cheek, but incredibly great stories. "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. There is this quiet girl who works at a quiet cafe. Her name is Sunshine and she loves to cook. :) I am not a fan of vampire books. I never made it through the 1st chapter of Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire." I thought this would be a vampire book, more so because the bookstore clerk kept gushing about it, but when I got it home I realized it was an incredibly awesome urban fantasy that just happened to include vampires. Very surreal. It's candy for the mind. I'd explain it more, but I can't. You kind of have to experience it to understand. I wish I had wrote it. Five damn stars, all the way. "Dauntless" by Jack Campbell. It's your typical soldier-gets-frozen- for-100-years-only-to-dethaw-and-discover-that-there's-a-war-between- his-side-of-the-galaxy-and-the-other-side-and-he's-a-living-legend story. Things look grim, the chips are down, and he's suddenly in command of an entire space fleet (or what remains of it). I thought I wouldn't be that interested in this book, let alone recommend it, but somehow it works really well. He continues it with several books. All are awesome and that's saying something since I don't read sci-fi much anymore. "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. This girl can open doors between normal London and *real* London. She's on the run and about to die at the hands of assassins. She opens a door to "somewhere safe." Enter a Londonian wage-slave. Great book by Gaiman. "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. And hell, "American Gods" too. The first is about a modern British lad who's trying to get a girl. Just to get rid of him she tells him that if he fetches the falling star that just streaked through the sky for her, she'll marry him. And thus begins his quest. Prolly the best Gaiman book. The second book is a modern tale about long-forgotten gods... "Goblin Quest" is the first novel in a trilogy and is very entertaining. To give a brief synopsis (which is leaving out an awful lot), the lead character is a goblin, huddling in his cave, trying to avoid "adventurers" whose only purpose is to slay his kind...until he "decides" to join up with one such group. Very imaginative and certainly the most different novel I've read in a long time. I love how it's creative, engaging, and humorous (from the goblin's perspective) and yet serious (when from the...other...lead character's perspective). "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss is a phenomenal fantasy novel. It's the author's first novel and it's right up there with the classics. Yeah, it's that good. Like "Sunshine" it's a novel where the prose is so smooth and flowing it's a joy just to read the text written by a master. "The Magician's Guild" by Trudi Canavan. It pains me to recommend this, it really does. The author is overly wordy (but nowhere near Robert Jordan's or Terry Goodkind's level) which is the main drawback. This is the age-old tale of the zero who becomes a hero. It's the clichéd story of a poor urchin who discovers she has strange abilities and gets sent to a prestigious school. I really can't say why I like this trilogy except to say that I'm a sucker for "magic kids going to a magic school" novels. A good read, if you can get around her overly descriptive tendencies. "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks. Every Christmas someone will buy me a novel as a present and every year the novel sucks. Last year was an exception when I got this novel. I thought I wouldn't like it but the trilogy had me enthralled. It's the tale of a slum child who becomes the protege of a master assassin...who turns out to be far more than just a mere assassin. Get it. You'll love it.
This is a poor effort.

Anything where a roofer falls in love with a 2-piece wearing dwarf plumber from Greensboro?

Ready Player One
Hillbilly Elligy

So I’ve managed to never read a Stephen King book. With the IT being released I’ve been wondering is this MPO Adapter where I start or do you guys recommend another one of his books first?

TIA

It's great that you're considering getting back into reading books! Based on your interests, here are some book recommendations:

1. "The Martian" by Andy Weir - If you enjoyed the sci-fi elements in "Ready Player One," then you may enjoy this novel about an astronaut who becomes stranded on Mars and must use his wits to survive.
  2. "Educated" by Tara Westover - If you enjoyed the memoir aspect of "Hillbilly Elegy," then you may enjoy this memoir about a woman who grows up in a strict, survivalist family in rural Idaho and eventually goes on to earn a PhD from Cambridge University.
  3. "The Stand" by Stephen King - This epic novel is one of King's most beloved works and follows a group of survivors after a deadly pandemic wipes out most of humanity.
  4. "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins - If you enjoyed the dystopian elements in "Ready Player One," then you may enjoy this YA novel about a post-apocalyptic society where teenagers are forced to fight to the death in an annual competition.
  5. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson - If you enjoyed the mystery aspect of "The Alienist," then you may enjoy this thriller about a journalist and a computer hacker who team up to investigate a decades-old murder case.
I hope these suggestions are helpful! Happy reading!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT