ADVERTISEMENT

ND game....

Says the guy who finds reasons to accept mediocrity. Now McDonald's All Americans don't count. There will always be a reason to lose to someone. Always a reason to not win the conference. Always a reason to either not make the tourney or not get passed the sweet 16. How did you so eloquently put it? Oh, "too funny".
Oh, I'm not a fan of mediocrity. But you get sucked in by things like simplistic McDonalds All American designations and then pretend you know something about basketball. Those awards are overwhelmingly based on one thing (scoring averages) and are otherwise pretty useless. That you place so much importance on them only shows you don't know much about basketball.

Oh, I'm not a fan of mediocrity. But you get sucked in by things like simplistic McDonalds All American designations and then pretend you know something about basketball. Those awards are overwhelmingly based on one thing (scoring averages) and are otherwise pretty useless. That you place so much importance on them only shows you don't know much about basketball.
Well UK, Kansas and Duke wins with multiple MCD AA's.

But those schools recruit them to fit a proven team structure. IU doesn't do that.
The point is that when someone says we start 3 Mcd AA it means that we have talent. Our issue is we don't have much depth and lack a coach that can teach any type of defense.

The point is that when someone says we start 3 Mcd AA it means that we have talent. Our issue is we don't have much depth and lack a coach that can teach any type of defense.
"Talent" means little if the players don't fit together well in a proven system. The labels are simplistic and only serve to entice and fool casual fans who really don't understand the game. As IU's hoops fortunes have fallen, the knowledge of the fan base (especially younger fans) has fallen, too.

Reactions: reabhnt
"Talent" means little if the players don't fit together well in a proven system. The labels are simplistic and only serve to entice and fool casual fans who really don't understand the game. As IU's hoops fortunes have fallen, the knowledge of the fan base (especially younger fans) has fallen, too.
Actually our players fit Creans scheme......issue is the actual scheme itself.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

Leave him alone. I enjoy him following me around the forum. I like all the "Lol" stuff.

I see. I'm obviously outmatched by your superior knowledge and intellect. I had heard rumors that Bobby was back and posting on the free board. Now I know it's true. Talent doesn't matter and being a McDonald's All American doesn't count for anything. Quick, go tell UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, and every other school that has made FFs and won titles while we've been making Sweet 16 rings. Mediocrity rules!!!

Actually our players fit Creans scheme......issue is the actual scheme itself.
I won't argue that the scheme isn't very flawed, but the players listed as McDonalds All Americans are each very one dimensional. Amazing that you and a few others can't comprehend that, but that's the new IU fan for you.

I see. I'm obviously outmatched by your superior knowledge and intellect. I had heard rumors that Bobby was back and posting on the free board. Now I know it's true. Talent doesn't matter and being a McDonald's All American doesn't count for anything. Quick, go tell UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, and every other school that has made FFs and won titles while we've been making Sweet 16 rings. Mediocrity rules!!!
Nice babble, but you should stick to something you know and leave hoops to others. You don't have a clue about this stuff, Greg. Lol.

I won't argue that the scheme isn't very flawed, but the players listed as McDonalds All Americans are each very one dimensional. Amazing that you and a few others can't comprehend that, but that's the new IU fan for you.
Explain one dimensional? Yogi can dribble, shoot, penetrate, defend( scheme hurts him), blackmons a scorer and a good rebounding guard but isn't a great defender. Bryant looks like a quality big that just doesn't have another big on the court to help him. The 3 guys listed are all very good players but the issue is CTc has never had a quality defensive scheme or a good half court offense. My issue with Creans recruiting isn't the talented guys like above its the lack of front court depth and lack of recruiting tough hard nosed kids.

FYI....Gelon and Zeisloft are one dimensional guys.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Explain one dimensional? Yogi can dribble, shoot, penetrate, defend( scheme hurts him), blackmons a scorer and a good rebounding guard but isn't a great defender. Bryant looks like a quality big that just doesn't have another ine on the court to help him. The 3 guys listed are all very good players but the issue is CTc has never had a quality defensive scheme or a good half court offense. My issue with Creans recruiting isn't the talented guys like above its the lack of front court depth and lack of recruiting tough hard nosed kids.

FYI....Gelon and Zeisloft are one dimensional guys.
None of those players, including YF, are good defenders, and scheme has little to do with it. At best, YF and JB are streaky shooters who are undisciplined and prone to poor shot selection, and they're all sloppy with the ball. And you've already acknowledged that none of them are "tough, hard nosed kids".

Maybe one dimensional is unfair, but none of them are close to complete players, and each of them bears responsibility for that (along with Crean)

None of those players, including YF, are good defenders, and scheme has little to do with it. At best, YF and JB are streaky shooters who are undisciplined and prone to poor shot selection, and they're all sloppy with the ball. And you've already acknowledged that none of them are "tough, hard nosed kids".

Maybe one dimensional is unfair, but none of them are close to complete players, and each of them bears responsibility for that (along with Crean)
But don't you think our style of play allows them to be sloppy? Also we have very good athletes that struggle on defense because of scheme and coaching.

But don't you think our style of play allows them to be sloppy? Also we have very good athletes that struggle on defense because of scheme and coaching.

Please stop. He and others like him have endless excuses for mediocrity. Talent doesn't count. Being a highly rated player doesn't count. Pretty soon we'll hear coaching doesn't count.

The scheme stinks, but their lack of discipline is a huge contributing factor. IU is poor defensively because most of the players lack basic fundamentals and effort. And that's on them, along with their coaches.

Please stop. He and others like him have endless excuses for mediocrity. Talent doesn't count. Being a highly rated player doesn't count. Pretty soon we'll hear coaching doesn't count.
But you think talent (whatever that is) is the only thing. You've never seen good basketball at IU so you don't know what it looks like. To you, it's "We're Back!" and "The Movement!". You're all style and no substance. It's why someone being a "burger boy" is all that matters to you.

Here is a trivia question: What was the last team to win an NCAA championship without a McDonalds All-American?

But you think talent (whatever that is) is the only thing. You've never seen good basketball at IU so you don't know what it looks like. To you, it's "We're Back!" and "The Movement!". You're all style and no substance. It's why someone being a "burger boy" is all that matters to you.

Where did I say it was all that mattered? I pointed out an irrefutable fact that we have three of them while ND doesn't have any as far as I know. I admittedly don't follow ND recruiting, but I'll take a guess they have zero. I'll also point out the we have other highly rated talent on the floor and on the bench. And I wasn't putting down the talent of our players. I'm putting down Crean not being able to use that talent effectively. Or maybe that's what bothers you.

Where are you getting all this "We're Back" and "Movement" crap? I've been against Crean's hire since he was, well, since he was hired. You have me confused with a figment of your imagination. Either that or you think I'm "SuperHoosier" who is a completely different poster. I was on the premium board as SuperHoosierFan for about 12 years and when they switched to this new format I've been coming to the free board. I refuse to pay for this shitty format.

Bazinga! Kevin Ollie took a team that was banned from the tournament his first year and rode them to the NCAA championship his second year. Great coaching!

Bazinga! Kevin Ollie took a team that was banned from the tournament his first year and rode them to the NCAA championship his second year. Great coaching!
For it to only happen 2 times in 30 some years tho says that you do need elite talent. Not every MCD all American becomes a great player but most do. And you need top talent to win it all. Great coaching also to get the talent out of the talent you have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT