ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA unlikely to approve unlimited transfers

MIS01

All-Big Ten
Aug 31, 2001
According to an article in the Athletic, the NCAA BOD meets Wednesday and is increasingly unlikely to approve unlimited transfers. The article says Presidents on the originating committee and the BOD had reservations and there was push-back from football and basketball coaches about roster management.

They may still consider a rule endorsed by the Division I Council to eliminate the one-time transfer rule as part of a transfer reform package that includes the implementation of transfer windows and the requirement that the school accepting a transfer would be required to provide financial aid to the incoming student-athlete through the completion of the student’s five-year period of eligibility or undergraduate graduation.

I hope they do vote down the unlimited transfer rule. There is so much change happening now with NIL and conference realignment. They need to let the dust settle before making another substantive change in transfer rules

Reactions: Radio Zero
Emmert could cement his legacy with a bold move like this. Unfortunate.

Hopefully some student-athletes will sue the NCAA’s sorry ass for this betrayal of their interests.

“The ordinary physics major can transfer as many times as desired. Why the double dealing, you gangsters?”

Hopefully some student-athletes will sue the NCAA’s sorry ass for this betrayal of their interests.

“The ordinary physics major can transfer as many times as desired. Why the double dealing, you gangsters?”

if NIL deals are yr to yr, or revocable at any time, but schollies tie a kid to a current school for multiple yrs, i'd think some kind of legal collision is imminent.

what a complete and total cluster*k the recent and current care takers of college sports have been.

The story said the BOD is fully aware of the legal ramifications, which is why they may offer the transfer windows and financial aid requirement I mentioned in my post. It’s also possible they will throw it back to the committee for more work

The story said the BOD is fully aware of the legal ramifications, which is why they may offer the transfer windows and financial aid requirement I mentioned in my post. It’s also possible they will throw it back to the committee for more work
I appreciate your summary.

I can’t read the Athletic because it costs money and unlike everyone else on this website, I’m not an MBA, in management, a leader of men, whatever: times are tight.

Transfer to their hearts content? Actually talk to people who are in “sports nobody cares about” and find out how false that is
Oh, crap! I misread.

Therefore, I retract that part of my post, as it is, indeed, incorrect.

I do, however, stand by the statement that there are a lot of sports about which no-one cares - those student-athletes are unimportant both in considering the consequences of the NCAA’s proposal as well as in relation to life, broadly conceived (nobody gives a **** about a heavy blow to the gymnastics team’s roster, don’t kid yourself) - *and* by my statement that the administrative cabal in Indy are nothing more than gangster lackeys.

EDIT. Added part deriding gymnasts.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
if NIL deals are yr to yr, or revocable at any time, but schollies tie a kid to a current school for multiple yrs, i'd think some kind of legal collision is imminent.

what a complete and total cluster*k the recent and current care takers of college sports have been.
I initially thought it would be better if NIL deals were tied to scholarships, but that could hurt players transferring for the right reasons and help players that are shopping around for a better deal and negotiate before they decide where to transfer.

I like that NIL is teaching students about negotiating, contracts and business practices. I don't like how it is affecting college basketball. The NCAA wasn't in control before NIL and they have completely lost control now.

Oh, crap! I misread.

Therefore, I retract that part of my post, as it is, indeed, incorrect.

I do, however, stand by the statement that there are a lot of sports about which no-one cares - those student-athletes are unimportant both in considering the consequences of the NCAA’s proposal as well as in relation to life, broadly conceived (nobody gives a **** about a heavy blow to the gymnastics team’s roster, don’t kid yourself) - *and* by my statement that the administrative cabal in Indy are nothing more than gangster lackeys.

EDIT. Added part deriding gymnasts.
There are actually about 7 gymnastics parents who care 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT