ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA creates commission after FBI investigation

Ohhhhh! Goody! A commission! My, but don't we all just love a commission! In fact, I can't help but feel that nothing says "The status will remain quo" quite like a commission!

Do you suppose that in the NCAA President Book of Secrets, it says: "Rule Number One: Keep the money flowing. At any cost. Keep. The money. Flowing."?

Do you suppose that in the NCAA President Book of Secrets, it says: "Rule Number One: Keep the money flowing. At any cost. Keep. The money. Flowing."?
What do you suppose are the odds that several members of that "committee" are directly affiliated with the front offices of the P5 conferences ? The best way to contain a scandal is from the inside, and this is one the NCAA desperately wants to contain. The major concern in downtown Indy now is " How do we make this out to be a Louisville-only problem", and one that can be laid solely at the feet of a few rogue assistant coaches. If this thing gets too close to Cal or Ole Roy, or Bill Self, the NCAA will be shopping for the world's biggest broom and rug.

As the previous poster said, "keep the money flowing". I would also add that there will be intense pressure on the FBI coming from the halls of Congress not to let this get too close to the states' flagship institutions and beloved alma maters of some its most powerful members. A lot of big money boosters are also big campaign donors.

What do you suppose are the odds that several members of that "committee" are directly affiliated with the front offices of the P5 conferences ? The best way to contain a scandal is from the inside, and this is one the NCAA desperately wants to contain. The major concern in downtown Indy now is " How do we make this out to be a Louisville-only problem", and one that can be laid solely at the feet of a few rogue assistant coaches. If this thing gets too close to Cal or Ole Roy, or Bill Self, the NCAA will be shopping for the world's biggest broom and rug.

As the previous poster said, "keep the money flowing". I would also add that there will be intense pressure on the FBI coming from the halls of Congress not to let this get too close to the states' flagship institutions and beloved alma maters of some its most powerful members. A lot of big money boosters are also big campaign donors.
Coug, I'm sorry but I can't hit "like" for your post; I hate it. I desperately want to argue every point in your post.
But, I can't; I'm fairly certain you are either right or very close to being right. I think the only thing I can challenge is the idea of "making it out to be a Louisville-only problem." I am fairly certain that ship has sailed.
And you have given me something to think about that I never before considered: If a senator is bringing pressure, his two most powerful tool are a threat to go public and a threat to cut funding. Well, this has already gone public so, do you really think the FBI could see budget cuts to protect "Cal, Ole Roy or Bill Self?"
Wow!
If you're right, I think I need to go take a very hot shower.

Reactions: snowling
Coug, I'm sorry but I can't hit "like" for your post; I hate it. I desperately want to argue every point in your post.
But, I can't; I'm fairly certain you are either right or very close to being right. I think the only thing I can challenge is the idea of "making it out to be a Louisville-only problem." I am fairly certain that ship has sailed.
And you have given me something to think about that I never before considered: If a senator is bringing pressure, his two most powerful tool are a threat to go public and a threat to cut funding. Well, this has already gone public so, do you really think the FBI could see budget cuts to protect "Cal, Ole Roy or Bill Self?"
Wow!
If you're right, I think I need to go take a very hot shower.
I understand, and I really hope I'm wrong. I hate being so cynical, but I have seen too much from the NCAA in recent years to not buy in to the "too big to fail" conspiracy.

There was a time when the NCAA actively went after the biggest programs with gusto. It hammered top programs for gambling, point-shaving, illegal benefits, academic fraud, improper benefits. It spared no one, perhaps even tilting on the side of excessive punishment. But failing to pursue Ohio State's culture of academic fraud and illegal benefits after the Clarett and Pryor situations came to light made me skeptical of the organization's willingness to pursue the smoke and find the fire. Letting Penn State and USC off the mat when it should have hammered both programs for a full five years made a believer out of me. Failing to pursue the academic fraud at UNC until a second round of allegations surfaced, and still dragging it's heels while UNC wins a national championship tells me the NCAA has been absolutely corrupted by the money.

I know a guy whose wife works in the legal department at the NCAA downtown. I know that they have limited investigative resources, that they fight institutions who have powerful legal teams that constantly stonewall and maneuver to avoid punishment. I know their work is slowed down by lack of subpoena power and the wait for access to documents trapped in criminal and civil proceedings (he explained to me in detail how the civil cases in the Reggie Bush case held up NCAA action for over a year).

But the NCAA is ultimately run by member institutions who have the power to police themselves. If the Presidents and BOTs of those places won't hold coaches and athletic directors accountable, the NCAA is more a part of the problem than the solution.

I understand, and I really hope I'm wrong. I hate being so cynical, but I have seen too much from the NCAA in recent years to not buy in to the "too big to fail" conspiracy.

There was a time when the NCAA actively went after the biggest programs with gusto. It hammered top programs for gambling, point-shaving, illegal benefits, academic fraud, improper benefits. It spared no one, perhaps even tilting on the side of excessive punishment. But failing to pursue Ohio State's culture of academic fraud and illegal benefits after the Clarett and Pryor situations came to light made me skeptical of the organization's willingness to pursue the smoke and find the fire. Letting Penn State and USC off the mat when it should have hammered both programs for a full five years made a believer out of me. Failing to pursue the academic fraud at UNC until a second round of allegations surfaced, and still dragging it's heels while UNC wins a national championship tells me the NCAA has been absolutely corrupted by the money.

I know a guy whose wife works in the legal department at the NCAA downtown. I know that they have limited investigative resources, that they fight institutions who have powerful legal teams that constantly stonewall and maneuver to avoid punishment. I know their work is slowed down by lack of subpoena power and the wait for access to documents trapped in criminal and civil proceedings (he explained to me in detail how the civil cases in the Reggie Bush case held up NCAA action for over a year).

But the NCAA is ultimately run by member institutions who have the power to police themselves. If the Presidents and BOTs of those places won't hold coaches and athletic directors accountable, the NCAA is more a part of the problem than the solution.

I fear you speak the truth. And I'm not sure what to do about it. I mean, in the hypothetical world, let's say Coach I.M. Hoops is coaching IU basketball and he allegedly participated in the cheating. If the FBI investigation began looking at Coach Hoops and one or both of our senators tried to intervene to protect Coach Hoops, I would never again vote for those senators. Not even for dog catcher.

But, thankfully, IU and its fans do not find themselves sailing in that particular boat. I am happy and confident in the program's integrity. I am happy that my biggest concern for IU in all of this is that I hope that integrity remains intact -- not that I worry about Fred or CAM cheating. Heck, I'm convinced that CAM is the kind of guy who, if he found your playbook and your team was coming up on the schedule, he'd never open the playbook and return it to you post-haste. And I think he'd never think twice about it because, more than anything else, he wants to take his and go out and beat yours. And the odds are that he probably will.
I like that about him.

Money corrupts and between basketball and football we're talking billions of dollars. As the money increases, the incentive to punish the money makers decreases.

Reactions: Thomtar

Well, Emmert is on the "commission," so does that count as a sufficient affiliation with the Power 5? If Emmert is on the "commission", it will have little credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I may be alone in this but I don't see any good reason for the NCAA to coordinate its rules with the NBA. If, for example, the NCAA enacted a rule that a player who enrolled in a member school had to stay at least two years (or be penalized), that would certainly make it difficult for a few Kobe Bryants or LeBrons in high school to decide what to do, because it differs from the NBA's one and done rule), but so what? The NCAA's stated mission is not to make it easy for the multi-billion-dollar NBA to evaluate players.

And let's face it -- only a handful of high school players are ready for the NBA anyway. The NCAA should do what it needs to do. The NBA will be just fine.

Reactions: Thomtar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT