ADVERTISEMENT

Names Are Back...Thank You!

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I have no desire to trash Fred or IU. He made a call last year he thought was right. He did listen and he’s changed course and publicly announced the change.

That’s good leadership to me: Not being too proud to pivot.

This was a small but important move I wanted to see. Now that it’s back, I’m thrilled! I do not need to mention it again. But I am thankful and excited to have them back!

Things continue to look up!

not a major issue either way for me, but glad the names are back even if just to logistically help when watching.

now don't ruin the moment with more crazy helmets.

a much bigger issue with me.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I cannot wait for the debate on here if we win 3-4 games on the season and how the team is playing selfish and for their own names. I can see it now.

Meanwhile, across the parking lot, the b-ball disaster does not have names on their backsides. They apparently don’t play for either the name on the front or the one on the back.

Names and Block I helmets

I am sooo happy
:D

:rolleyes:
;):D

I'm with you on the Block I.

I will always believe that the names not being on the back were very much ado about nothing.

From what I've experienced in the stands over the years, the names are really tough to make out after you get higher than the first twenty rows anywhere in the stadium anyway ..., especially at game speed. But....., ;)if it makes one of my favorite posters on here happy than I suppose I'll be forced to be grudgingly, grumpily, be happy for you... :cool::)

Last edited:
I have no desire to trash Fred or IU. He made a call last year he thought was right. He did listen and he’s changed course and publicly announced the change.

This was a small but important move I wanted to see. Now that it’s back, I’m thrilled! I do not need to mention it again. But I am thankful and excited to have them back!

Agreed! In this day & age is so rare to see this type of 180, it's refreshing & SO called for! Mistakes truly aren't so...mistaken(?)if they're able to be undone. Thank goodness, that was such a misguided initiative. While I understand & in some ways agree with the spirit of the concept, I think it was inappropriate for IU football jerseys.

I cannot wait for the debate on here if we win 3-4 games on the season and how the team is playing selfish and for their own names. I can see it now.

Meanwhile, across the parking lot, the b-ball disaster does not have names on their backsides. They apparently don’t play for either the name on the front or the one on the back.
I'll bet you everything I own that will NEVER happen. If we play selfishly &...whatever else you said, it won't have a thing in the world to do with names being on the back of the jerseys.

Absurd. Just trying to be a contrarian, I assume.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I'll bet you everything I own that will NEVER happen. If we play selfishly &...whatever else you said, it won't have a thing in the world to do with names being on the back of the jerseys.

You miss my point.

I was implying that if we somehow tank this year, somebody on here will spin it to say that it had to do with all this peripheral stuff like names on (or off) jerseys. I could see someone conjuring up a far-fetched notion that play was linked to uniforms.

You miss my point.

I was implying that if we somehow tank this year, somebody on here will spin it to say that it had to do with all this peripheral stuff like names on (or off) jerseys. I could see someone conjuring up a far-fetched notion that play was linked to uniforms.
I didn't miss your point, no one is that ignorant to equate the two things. Now if this were the basketball board, I'm sure it's already happened.

While I tend to agree with the rationale behind removing name plates from all sports system wide. Team before self right. I did realize that it was harder to follow as to who is on the field live or on TV. Especially in the early games. Remember football is the only sport with duplicate numbers, I'm sure all announcers are thankful. I do remember a couple of times the TV announcers making a mistake with who was in the game. I'm glad the AD heard the fans and changed his decision.

While I tend to agree with the rationale behind removing name plates from all sports system wide. Team before self right. I did realize that it was harder to follow as to who is on the field live or on TV. Especially in the early games. Remember football is the only sport with duplicate numbers, I'm sure all announcers are thankful. I do remember a couple of times the TV announcers making a mistake with who was in the game. I'm glad the AD heard the fans and changed his decision.
Not having the names on the back did not bother me a lot until I watched the spring game on TV and couldn't identify the new players and guys that didn't play much last year. I pay close enough attention to IU football year round that I didn't typically need the name to identify people. My wife, however, was frustrated by the removal of the names. She goes to most of the home games with me and goes if we attend a road game so she had to constantly ask me during games last season who the players were. It especially annoyed her to watch on tv and not be able to identify the players. Unlike me, she actually has a life apart from sports and doesn't commit things like uniform numbers to memory. In addition, she hates anything that has to do with math or numbers in general.

I'm glad Fred made the call to reverse the policy. My wife will be especially grateful.

Good decision. It is difficult enough to sell new fans without providing any other issues that interfere with the entertainment experience of new ticket purchasers. It is impossible to guarantee winning performances, but it should not impede management’s ability to make every other aspect of the game experience positive. People love A and AA minor league baseball games for the experience and not the quality of the players or the performance of the team.

I would guess that at least 90% of the freshman attending their first football game last year looked at the field and the bench and said “I have no idea who the hell any of these players are”

And I bet many of the players regularly heard comments that their classmates were looking for them on the sideline but they didn’t remember what their number was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT