ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Rice

Yes but only made 30 on the entire season. So I wouldn’t consider him much of a scoring threat from deep
Give me a point guard that runs the team and is dangerous enough from the outside to keep them honest. Now the onus is on Woody and staff to get off their butts and find shooters at the 2/3… I’m sure logic would say Bryson will fill in that 3 role, but I don’t think any coach worth their salt should have anything squared away in April. Get shooters and talent and let the rest shake out starting in October.

Reactions: bsmitty08
He can hit from outside but not at a high efficiency. He is fine if you have others but he can’t be your best
He very well can as a Sophomore. Scorer/Shooters which I consider him to be both really begin to get aggressive after the years jump. Talent with his ability just get better.

Last edited:
I agree he raises it into the 30's. 81% on free throws shows he might not be as bad as his 3P% shows and being able to play off ball more might make it easier for him to make them. If he hits 33% on 2 shots a game that should mean we're taking more 3's at least.

He's a freshman but in his third season as he redshirted his first season and cancer kept him out in '22-'23. I think he'd acclimate really nicely in Bloomington and lead for a few years.
DITTO!

A freshman that shoots 38% from 3 over a 20 game conference sample set is most definitely a shooter (and a good one at that), a 7-8 game shooting slump to start his collegiate career be damned.

You're trying too hard.
I am very tolerant of a college freshman getting off to a slow start. 7 or 8 games seems excessive but that could easily be do to other factors and not shooting ability.
MM is a set shooter. Which is why his free throw accuracy is high. But his accuracy falls off as more movement is required to get his shot off.
38% might look good by recent IU standards. But it does not qualify as a high performing shooter.
I do like MM as a stretch 4 man in a 4-1 offense, not as a 3/sf. I hope Woody embraces that concept and recruits to it asap.
I am glad MM is back and hope he continues to improve.

I know but it isn't the way to win, that's why I'm hoping that Woody's hand gets forced into it.

Having to play the 4 is part of the reason MR was constantly in foul trouble last year.
Yes part of the reason. The majority of the time it's because he didn't body up to restrict/deny position or move his feet to get position and instead stick his hands in for the ball. He needs to watch video of UConn's big man play D. Move your feet, stay close to your man and keep upright. Hope as a Junior he gathers the importance of position for good D.

Last edited:
I am very tolerant of a college freshman getting off to a slow start. 7 or 8 games seems excessive but that could easily be do to other factors and not shooting ability.
MM is a set shooter. Which is why his free throw accuracy is high. But his accuracy falls off as more movement is required to get his shot off.
38% might look good by recent IU standards. But it does not qualify as a high performing shooter.
I do like MM as a stretch 4 man in a 4-1 offense, not as a 3/sf. I hope Woody embraces that concept and recruits to it asap.
So you acknowledge that Mgbako can shoot, but he is not a “shooter” because in his freshman year he didn’t shoot as well on the move. Got it.

Which still has a tremendous effect on mechanics
Absolutely does. But it more illustrates that a prolonged shooting slump can completely tank what is a respectable average. If you watch Rice shooting form and mechanics, it would be tough to categorize him as a bad shooter. Shot it extremely well for the first 75% of the season and ended it in a bad slump. Not all that uncommon for first year players.

He had one truly awful game and it happened in Tucson on 2-12 night in which he finished with 5 points and 4 turnovers. And his team still won.

Reactions: asindc
So you acknowledge that Mgbako can shoot, but he is not a “shooter” because in his freshman year he didn’t shoot as well on the move. Got it.
if you expect MM to be a volume shooter next season with his current skill set, we could be in trouble. but with a better offense and skill improvement, it could work out very well.

if you expect MM to be a volume shooter next season with his current skill set, we could be in trouble. but with a better offense and skill improvement, it could work out very well.
All I am factoring in is him to get better from a freshman to sophomore. Even if he only gets a little better, he will be an effective “shooter.”

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Rice might actually be a pretty good outside shooter. I didn't know he'd had cancer and radiation his freshman year, but Tony Andragna on Assembly Call last night said he was 0-22 on 3s to end the season and thought maybe he just crapped out at the end of the year. If you subtract 22 misses, he was probably shooting mid to high 30s on 3s prior to that.
After XJ and Newton, we recruit a guy who has had cancer and radiation treatments as a freshman? What an ordeal for the young man but do we seem to have a pattern going of recruiting unhealthy players?

He shot 38% on volume in the B10 last year. Why would you not want his volume to go up? Even if he shot 35% on 7-8 attempts, that's nearly 3 makes a game. IU hasn't had a player average 3 made 3pt FGs in a season since James Blackmon Jr almost a decade ago. Insane that we wouldn't want that.

Last edited:
So if he would have hit two more shots over 20 games ... that's one per 10 games, he would then be a high performing shooter?

So if he would have hit two more shots over 20 games ... that's one per 10 games, he would then be a high performing shooter?
Depends on what the metric is.
He wasn’t a high volume 3 pt shooter. Only made 50.
In comparison
Uconn
Karaban 81 made
Spencer 99 made
Newton 71 made
Purdue:
Jones 80
Loyer 63
Smith 56
Gillis 58

Iu as a team needs to shoot and make more threes to take them to a higher level of basketball.

In comparison
Uconn
Karaban 81 made
Spencer 99 made
Newton 71 made
Purdue:
Jones 80
Loyer 63
Smith 56
Gillis 58

Iu as a team needs to shoot and make more threes to take them to a higher level of basketball.
But were they all over 40% ... that's the line some of these guys believe define a shooter.

You're preachin to the choir, Smitty .. the gist is that makes per game is a better indicator of shooting than percentage. Of course the best shooters do both ..

But were they all over 40% ... that's the line some of these guys believe define a shooter.

You're preachin to the choir, Smitty .. the gist is that makes per game is a better indicator of shooting than percentage. Of course the best shooters do both ..
I agree…36-41% is outstanding, especially if they are high volume. Heck Dalton Knecht you could argue is the best shooter in the country and he was 39.7% from 3 but he made 93

In comparison
Uconn
Karaban 81 made
Spencer 99 made
Newton 71 made
Purdue:
Jones 80
Loyer 63
Smith 56
Gillis 58

If both guys commit(which I think happens) you won’t have to worry about volume. They do things better(mostly) than any guards we’ve had in 5 years not named JHS. They will shoot more than any guard we’ve had lately.

I agree…36-41% is outstanding, especially if they are high volume. Heck Dalton Knecht you could argue is the best shooter in the country and he was 39.7% from 3 but he made 93
Look at Carsen Edwards a few years back .. .36% but at almost 11 attempts and almost 4 makes per game. Great shooter ...

If both guys commit(which I think happens) you won’t have to worry about volume. They do things better(mostly) than any guards we’ve had in 5 years not named JHS. They will shoot more than any guard we’ve had lately.
I know I sound like a broken record but I just hate the double post, clog the lane offense u less you have lights out shooters on the wing.

Reactions: frank1179
In comparison
Uconn
Karaban 81 made
Spencer 99 made
Newton 71 made
Purdue:
Jones 80
Loyer 63
Smith 56
Gillis 58

We've discussed ad nauseum MM's shooting struggles to start his collegiate career. Here are the volume numbers and % for conference only stats

Karaban--47/43%
Spencer--48/44%
Newton--33/29%
Jones--51/37%
Loyer--33/48%
Smith--25/39%

Mgbako 37/38%

Mgbako was a very efficient volume 3 point shooter for the duration of the conference season

We've discussed ad nauseum MM's shooting struggles to start his collegiate career. Here are the volume numbers and % for conference only stats

Karaban--47/43%
Spencer--48/44%
Newton--33/29%
Jones--51/37%
Loyer--33/48%
Smith--25/39%

Mgbako 37/38%

Mgbako was a very efficient volume 3 point shooter for the duration of the conference season
He definitely had a stretch where he was much better.

I know I sound like a broken record but I just hate the double post, clog the lane offense u less you have lights out shooters on the wing.
If you look at Purdue they played a double post with Kaufman-renn. Difference? They could shoot. They were also versatile enough with Mason Gillis to go 4 out. I’m hoping woody can and will do that. We just have to wait and see how this roster fills out. One thing is for sure landing Tucker and these two will make this roster better.

If you look at Purdue they played a double post with Kaufman-renn. Difference? They could shoot. They were also versatile enough with Mason Gillis to go 4 out. I’m hoping woody can and will do that. We just have to wait and see how this roster fills out. One thing is for sure landing Tucker and these two will make this roster better.
Can go to 4 out by bringing Ballo/Reneau out of the line up and sliding MM to the 4.

Ballo + Rice, Carlyle and Galloway/Tucker/potentially Hickman and Mgbako is a really good line up. It works with Reneau at the 5 for stretches as well. Ballo isn't going to be able to play 30+ mpg, neither is Reneau unless he stays foul-free.

Can go to 4 out by bringing Ballo/Reneau out of the line up and sliding MM to the 4.

Ballo + Rice, Carlyle and Galloway/Tucker/potentially Hickman and Mgbako is a really good line up. It works with Reneau at the 5 for stretches as well. Ballo isn't going to be able to play 30+ mpg, neither is Reneau unless he stays foul-free.
That’s what I’m saying. Need the roster to fill out before I predict anything.

In comparison
Uconn
Karaban 81 made
Spencer 99 made
Newton 71 made
Purdue:
Jones 80
Loyer 63
Smith 56
Gillis 58

Is that comparing the same amount of games?

Current transfer wish list ...all knock down prolific shooters. IU has contact or more with Tyson, Hickman, Conwell .. Hausen is probably UConn bound .. the other two who knows.

1. Brendan Hausen (Villanova)
2. Chris Youngblood (S.Florida)
3. Cade Tyson (Belmont)
4. Rylan Griffen (Alabama)
5. Connor Hickman (Bradley)
6. Ryan Conwell (Indiana St.)

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I don't care how many shooters we get if they don't have the green light to shoot it won't matter. We should be shooting 30 three's a game next season.

• Wow
Current transfer wish list ...all knock down prolific shooters. IU has contact or more with Tyson, Hickman, Conwell .. Hausen is probably UConn bound .. the other two who knows.

1. Brendan Hausen (Villanova)
2. Chris Youngblood (S.Florida)
3. Cade Tyson (Belmont)
4. Rylan Griffen (Alabama)
5. Connor Hickman (Bradley)
6. Ryan Conwell (Indiana St.)
Love to have Tyson and also IU offered Humrichous as well. 6’10 shooter from Evansville and also my hometown. I doubt he goes to IU though

Reactions: T.M.P.
I always like the players never improve mentality especially in the case of kids that are underclassmen. There are plenty or roster openings. Rice would be a great get for PG.

Alabama's Rylan Griffen entered Portal. 39% shooter from 3 and started 33 games for Bama. From Dallas so probably headed to play for Calipari. Dallas back in Nolan's day used be called PigPen south or whatever the name of their arena is. Anyway, he has 2 years eligibility left.

MR shot 33% from 3 so he is working on that. I don't think MR got into foul trouble because he played PF. He needs to cut out or significantly decrease the stupid reach and frustration fouls. Let him play both spots as needed. I think they need a big like Bradshaw or Ballo to replace Ware.

MM was really solid from 3 by season's end. It took him a while to adjust to college but he did. Banks and Gunn never really gave Woody other options though Gunn had a couple fo nice games. Hopefully Tucker and MM and push each for PT.

Don't care whether Gallo starts or not but hope he gets 25+ minutes games. I think his leadership and all round basketball is pretty good at the college level and he will do things that the teams needs to win. Teams can always use those types. He shot 46% from 3 the previous year. He had JHS that year and TJD was really good facilitating. Wonder if he struggled to make the adjustment to being the lone upperclassmen leader of the team who got taxed with completely running the team. X was OK but as usual hurt and a mental disaster at times. Probably not the guy you want faciltaing and running the team. I'd rather TG fix the FT shooting which is as much of a team issue than 3 point shooting, IMO.

Reactions: nichlee
Love to have Tyson and also IU offered Humrichous as well. 6’10 shooter from Evansville and also my hometown. I doubt he goes to IU though
I'd take any of the above ... each of them are in the top 2% to 5% nationally in 3pt efficiency/production per 40.

ie (((3 pts made *3) - (3pts missed * .96)) / team pace) * average pace) /minutes) *40

vbg

I don't care how many shooters we get if they don't have the green light to shoot it won't matter. We should be shooting 30 three's a game next season.
1 team last year shot 30 a game and that was BYU. The national champion was 91st nationally in attempts. Edit, there were 3 teams ... still.

*eyeroll* ......

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT