ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Rice

Doubt he will ever be a good three point shooter. Watching his tape he is a big pick and roll kid Woodson will use him like JHS pick and roll mid range jumpers. He is solid pickup.

Ugly from 3 27%
You need a new schtick. Find some new material. Or perhaps a hobby. Stop box score watching.

He had a 6-7 game stretch at the end of the year where he went 0 for 20 something, shot 35% in the other 29 games. Averaged 15 ppg playing in a slow tempo offense as a first year player and shot over 80% from the line. Had 4 games where he hit four or more 3’s. He has 3 years of eligibility left and will only get better. He would be the best PG this program has had since Yogi Ferrell.

From Purdue losing to Kentucky hiring a guy with no conference titles in 9 years this would be a great finish to the week.
Will be interesting to see how UL and UK coaches adapt to the top of college basketball. Only thing missing in this scenario woulda been IU to have Indiana State now Slu coach.

You need a new schtick. Find some new material. Or perhaps a hobby. Stop box score watching.

He had a 6-7 game stretch at the end of the year where he went 0 for 20 something, shot 35% in the other 29 games. Averaged 15 ppg playing in a slow tempo offense as a first year player and shot over 80% from the line. Had 4 games where he hit four or more 3’s. He has 3 years of eligibility left and will only get better. He would be the best PG this program has had since Yogi Ferrell.
He only made 36 all year…36-131.
He is a huge upgrade over X/Cupps I am just concerned that Woody still hasn’t addressed shooting and worry he won’t change Trey’s role.

In 2023 he proved he is a very good set shooter, and in 2024 he proved he can’t shoot off the dribble. Capeesh?
I'm never buying a guy is a good shooter if he's not 80% or better on FTs; that's the ultimate set shot. Trey is a good player; not a good shooter, who had one good streak on limited attempts. If we can surround him with some other good shooters and scorers then maybe he'll go back to getting more open looks. He can't be the primary or probably even secondary shooter to get the open looks he needs to be a decent shooter.

Last edited:
Dude, we don't need to start two centers. It's not the 70s.

Get a backup for when MR gets in foul trouble and move MM to the 4.
Maybe that'll happen at times, but it should be apparent that this is not CMW's preferred style. If we get Ballo, or the MN or Drexel kids, we're playing 2 bigs and MM at the 3. Maybe when MR or the 5 go to the bench, he would move MM to the 4 with the other (and he should to at least test a different playing style), but I've accepted that's not how CMW wants to play.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Maybe that'll happen at times, but it should be apparent that this is not CMW's preferred style. If we get Ballo, or the MN or Drexel kids, we're playing 2 bigs and MM at the 3. Maybe when MR or the 5 go to the bench, he would move MM to the 4 with the other (and he should to at least test a different playing style), but I've accepted that's not how CMW wants to play.
I know but it isn't the way to win, that's why I'm hoping that Woody's hand gets forced into it.

Having to play the 4 is part of the reason MR was constantly in foul trouble last year.

Shooting needs addressed somewhere in the lineup.
Looking at some teams that did well this year compared to Iu in 3 pt shooting.
Made threes:
Bama 354
UConn 299
Tennessee 279
Purdue 275
Nc State: 254

IU: 166

I know but it isn't the way to win, that's why I'm hoping that Woody's hand gets forced into it.

Having to play the 4 is part of the reason MR was constantly in foul trouble last year.
I don't see him changing and it's already looking that way. And, it can win, especially if MR can continue to improve his shooting and passing, and we get another couple shooters in the portal.

And, I don't think his foul trouble was necessarily tied to him being at the 4, his foul trouble was largely in the 2nd half of the year and I thought he had something going on, either injury or in his head, but I thought his play got more ragged during that time.

Rice might actually be a pretty good outside shooter. I didn't know he'd had cancer and radiation his freshman year, but Tony Andragna on Assembly Call last night said he was 0-22 on 3s to end the season and thought maybe he just crapped out at the end of the year. If you subtract 22 misses, he was probably shooting mid to high 30s on 3s prior to that.

Last edited:
Rice might actually be a pretty good outside shooter. I didn't know he'd had cancer and radiation as freshman year, but Tony Andragna on Assembly Call last night said he was 0-22 on 3s to end the season and thought maybe he just crapped out at the end of the year. If you subtract 22 misses, he was probably shooting mid to high 30s on 3s prior to that.
He made 36 on the season. Which is more than Cupps and X gave us

Rice might actually be a pretty good outside shooter. I didn't know he'd had cancer and radiation as freshman year, but Tony Andragna on Assembly Call last night said he was 0-22 on 3s to end the season and thought maybe he just crapped out at the end of the year. If you subtract 22 misses, he was probably shooting mid to high 30s on 3s prior to that.
He's fine. His mechanics and release are very good. Had a bad 6-7 game stretch that plummeted his raw %. It happens. Still averaged 15 ppg in a very slow and deliberate offense. That tells me teams weren't sagging off him because they didn't respect his shot. He's a very good player that all IU fans should want running the show. I was content with Perkins, Rice is a home run.

While a stretch like this should not be ignored, it also means that his season percentage has weighed down significantly by the last three games. Prior to that stretch, he would have been hitting at a 33% clip.
Yes but only made 30 on the entire season. So I wouldn’t consider him much of a scoring threat from deep

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT