ADVERTISEMENT

My own petty protest

The FIU game should be moved regardless of how they screwed up the Spring Game. The only connection to the Spring Game is Glass will make a half-hearted attempt to do what is best for the football program.

The person I talked to in the athletic department says they are working on moving the game, but it is complicated. I'm sure it is. I read her comment as it is hard and Glass would have to be strong to do it. Don't hold your breath or make any plans for 9/1.
From my perspective, I'd like the two issues to be separate. I do indeed agree that Glass owes football fans an apology for the poor handling of the spring game. It should be accompanied by assurances that in the future there will be a contingency plan that will encourage fans to make plans to come to Bloomington no matter what the weather. Namely, that if the game is moved indoors the activities will take place at AH with a closed-circuit feed for all fans who want to see the game.

As for the FIU game, I think IU was really in a bad spot last year. Regardless of Butch Davis' motives it would have been tough for IU to not honor that request. Demanding that they bring their team up here would have been pretty selfish.

We already have 7 home games this year, including three in a row after the opener. I would rather have that game moved in a year with only 4 home B1G games. In addition, it might be good to have a non-conference road game early so that we don't fall into shell shock and lose a conference game because our players haven't prepared properly for unfamiliar surroundings. I think playing your opening game on the road lessens the disadvantage because the other guy hasn't had a chance to watch film or study your personnel as thoroughly.

From my perspective, I'd like the two issues to be separate. I do indeed agree that Glass owes football fans an apology for the poor handling of the spring game. It should be accompanied by assurances that in the future there will be a contingency plan that will encourage fans to make plans to come to Bloomington no matter what the weather. Namely, that if the game is moved indoors the activities will take place at AH with a closed-circuit feed for all fans who want to see the game.

As for the FIU game, I think IU was really in a bad spot last year. Regardless of Butch Davis' motives it would have been tough for IU to not honor that request. Demanding that they bring their team up here would have been pretty selfish.

We already have 7 home games this year, including three in a row after the opener. I would rather have that game moved in a year with only 4 home B1G games. In addition, it might be good to have a non-conference road game early so that we don't fall into shell shock and lose a conference game because our players haven't prepared properly for unfamiliar surroundings. I think playing your opening game on the road lessens the disadvantage because the other guy hasn't had a chance to watch film or study your personnel as thoroughly.
We couldn't demand they come even though they played the week before. Letting them out of coming should have included playing the game this year in Bloomington and ending the series at FIU. Moving a game to 2024 is dumb and not likely to happen.

Most still remembered the poor handling of giving up a home NIT game when this game was cancelled and this contract was changed. Bad decisions seem to follow Glass lately. The Spring game is just the latest.

When we are in November needing to beat Maryland, Michigan and Purdue to go to a bowl game, we might be wishing we had played FIU at home that first week of the season. At least we will have basketball season to distract us.

Reactions: IUgradman
It’s one thing to try to build successful football and basketball programs and fail. It is another to undermine those programs with embarassing and bad decisions. Glass has done the latter.

I always make my Varsity Club donation in May or early June. After the spring football game fiasco this year, I've decided to cut it by 10%. I'm going to send along a note to Fred explaining that I expect a spring football game as part of my overall football package. If IU can't deliver, I'm going to adjust accordingly.

It wasn't just the irritation of the last-minute cancel. It was the lack of initial promotion and then seeing that a select group was indeed allowed to be there. It kind of solidifies for me that the athletic department was looking for a way to not have to put in the effort from the get-go.

A couple hundred bucks less is piss-dribble for Fred and the VC I know but it will make me feel better to at least make a symbolic stand.
Well that will certainly get you selected to be in the group that gets to watch next time! Bash Freddy on a message board and cut your donations!

And the note will also be a nice touch lol!

There was a reason those individuals got to watch...and it was by playing your strategy. I might also add that your conclusions against the athletic department are way off, but I won't convince you of that, so I won't both trying. It's funny, fans bitch so hard about Freddy and the Department but fail to see the gains on the field of play. We need to win more....winning cures everything. Even grumpy alumni!

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Well that will certainly get you selected to be in the group that gets to watch next time! Bash Freddy on a message board and cut your donations!

And the note will also be a nice touch lol!

There was a reason those individuals got to watch...and it was by playing your strategy. I might also add that your conclusions against the athletic department are way off, but I won't convince you of that, so I won't both trying. It's funny, fans bitch so hard about Freddy and the Department but fail to see the gains on the field of play. We need to win more....winning cures everything. Even grumpy alumni!

Says a guy who obviously got invited inside Mellencamp ;):D

Only our fan base would complain about recruits and there families getting to watch the spring practice.

Only our fan base would complain about recruits and there families getting to watch the spring practice.

Well you completely misread my posts and several others if you think that's what we are complaining about...

From my perspective, the AD having allowed the recruits and their families in is pretty much the only thing done correctly last Saturday.

Like I wrote somewhere in these threads earlier: if Fred wants to limit the game to just recruits, their families, and appropriate staff and family I'm all for it. They're clearly not serious about promoting the Spring Game, so they may as well keep it simple.

Reactions: Chriselli and DANC
Well you completely misread my posts and several others if you think that's what we are complaining about...

From my perspective, the AD having allowed the recruits and their families in is pretty much the only thing done correctly last Saturday.

Like I wrote somewhere in these threads earlier: if Fred wants to limit the game to just recruits, their families, and appropriate staff and family I'm all for it. They're clearly not serious about promoting the Spring Game, so they may as well keep it simple.

If they do decide to have a Spring Game in 2019 I'm hoping beyond hope that they assign someone from the basketball side of the AD's operation to set it up and promote it...It appears that's the only way it will be done in a professional manner...

You must not have Twitter....

They were posting things daily about the game in the time leading up to it with draft picks and signings . They put out plenty of stuff before hand.

Reactions: rcaulfie
I don't have twitter and I don't plan to get it.

I was able to "check" twitter semi-regularly during the past month and the information I was interested in: the kids activities, I did not see, which brings us full circle: Why wasn't it posted on the official site until 8 and a half days prior to the game...

I did see Fred taking the time to ham it up as "commissioner" of the draft or some such title... Didn't help a bit in regard to the schedule of kids events that were supposedly included prior to the game...

The University has an official sports site and we've already covered what they mainly did "not" have on it...

This horse has been ridden to its demise...

I can only hope that next years Spring Game is treated as though it were an activity associated with the Basketball program...

Reactions: DANC and snowling
It seems a lot of general public news about IU athletics has diminished over the years mainly due to the retirement of the great Kit Klingelhoffer. His service of over 40 years as SID has yet to be replaced adequately. Nobody has stepped up to the plate and given us the much needed voice that mysteriously is missing.

As for Glass, I'm sure most of you know where I stand with him. He is completely out of his league. He needs to be relegated to a newly created position regarding the financial and legal aspects of the university, while a new and experienced AD needs to fill the real position and take our major sports seriously.

Last edited:
It seems a lot of general public news about IU athletics has diminished over the years mainly due to the retirement of the great Kit Klingelhoffer. His service of over 40 years as SID has yet to be replaced adequately. Nobody has stepped up to the plate and given us the much needed voice that mysteriously is missing.

As for Glass, I'm sure most of you know where I stand with him. He is completely out his league. He needs to be relegated to a newly created position regarding the financial and legal aspects of the university, while a new and experienced AD needs to fill the real position and take our major sports seriously.
Well I give Fred credit for fixing alot of sh!t and getting things going in the right direction. BUT your right someone else needs to take the reins and move things forward focusing on Football. Thats the cash cow. Basketball is a rear view mirror compared to football. You lineup a huge spring game and draw people down it does things for the players, coaches, and fanbase.

I remember a few years back flying to the Michigan game with the team when Hep was coaching. We all walked around and the IU gals from the admin that were with us kept commenting on the gameday experience and how cool it would be if IU was the same. Anyone thats been to Ann Arbor knows what I'm talking about. Anyways, its time to fix that void and go to the next level. jus sayin. Football should be the priority period!

Wow. Some of these posts make me sad. Withhold money if you want, but to not attend a game in protest when the Coaches and players are working their butts off trying to build a winning program is beyond petty in my opinion. Attend the darn games because you support the football players. Wear a t-shirt with a picture of Glass and a large X if you want, but support the people who really matter.
I've bought my season tickets. That's all the AD cares about.

Maybe the team will start talking to the AD if they start playing in front of fewer fans.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
Fred is the Tom Crean of ADs- he will only get you so far while doing a lot of self-defeating, embarrassing things. Time to upgrade. Unfortunately, if basketball starts to do well again, his job will never be in jeopardy.

Ohio State didn't cancel their spring game, but they moved it up by two hours hoping to miss the rain. However, the potential of rain still reduced attendance. Last year about 80,000 attended and this year it was down to about 41,000.
If we ever pull in 41,000 for a spring game we will know that we have arrived as a football program. I'd like to see have a some OSU style winning seasons before I die. I hope I don't die disappointed. :D

Reactions: IUgradman
I've bought my season tickets. That's all the AD cares about.

Maybe the team will start talking to the AD if they start playing in front of fewer fans.

Unfortunately, it's never seemed to bother any of them in the past and that was before the TV money.

If we could somehow trick Fred and his staff into believing that the Spring Game significantly impacted the basketball program they'd find a way to incentivize attendance to the game in a way that the stadium would be close to full and they'd probably have a multilayered backup plan for the chance of inclement weather that includes moving it to Lucas Oil...\\//Dripping with Sarcasm\\//

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Then don't complain about not knowing stuff. Jeez.
So you think that posting information on one single social media format constitutes a comprehensive marketing plan ? Think about that for a second and then consider how many of those gray-haired gentlemen in tweed jackets and their blue-haired wives at the top of that donor list probably do not have twitter (or any other app-based site).

The bottom line is that no matter the weather that game was going to be held. There was no need to make a decision on the move indoors until 30 minutes before game time. It absolutely should have gone off in MS as originally planned. If it needed to be moved, the fans should have been directed to SSAH where the game could be fed to the videoboard.

Unless we are to believe that with all the resources of the Mark Cuban Center we couldn't get a wireless feed from Mellencamp to Assembly Hall, why was this not considered. FG put together a plan for hosting multiple WNIT games on one or two days notice. Compared to that, moving the spring football game to a building next door and setting up a feed to another building next door seems like a pretty simple task to me.

I'm not a guy who routinely blames FG for everything that ails IU and I for sure don't think he ought to be fired. But in this instance, he pooped the bed. Athletic Directors get paid big bucks to be forward-thinking. It is part of the job to be able to accommodate people by having alternative and contingency plans. When they fail to do this, they are either incompetent or they consider the event not to be that important to begin with.

I don't think Fred Glass is incompetent. But on this matter, I don't think he cared enough about IU football or IU football fans to be proactive and make sure this event could be a success regardless of weather. That disappoints me. Football needs to matter at IU.

So you think that posting information on one single social media format constitutes a comprehensive marketing plan ? Think about that for a second and then consider how many of those gray-haired gentlemen in tweed jackets and their blue-haired wives at the top of that donor list probably do not have twitter (or any other app-based site).

The bottom line is that no matter the weather that game was going to be held. There was no need to make a decision on the move indoors until 30 minutes before game time. It absolutely should have gone off in MS as originally planned. If it needed to be moved, the fans should have been directed to SSAH where the game could be fed to the videoboard.

Unless we are to believe that with all the resources of the Mark Cuban Center we couldn't get a wireless feed from Mellencamp to Assembly Hall, why was this not considered. FG put together a plan for hosting multiple WNIT games on one or two days notice. Compared to that, moving the spring football game to a building next door and setting up a feed to another building next door seems like a pretty simple task to me.

I'm not a guy who routinely blames FG for everything that ails IU and I for sure don't think he ought to be fired. But in this instance, he pooped the bed. Athletic Directors get paid big bucks to be forward-thinking. It is part of the job to be able to accommodate people by having alternative and contingency plans. When they fail to do this, they are either incompetent or they consider the event not to be that important to begin with.

I don't think Fred Glass is incompetent. But on this matter, I don't think he cared enough about IU football or IU football fans to be proactive and make sure this event could be a success regardless of weather. That disappoints me. Football needs to matter at IU.
Guess football doesn’t matter at UM either, they cancelled their game on Wednesday, haven’t seen any bitching on their message boards although I’m sure many were disappointed. The horse is dead .........

Reactions: rcaulfie
Look pal when Indiana University moves their Official Athletic site to twitter then I'll worry about missing something.

Unlike you evidently I have no desire to know a minute by minute account of virtually nothing on a regular basis.
All I'm saying, Pal, the info is out there and you refuse to access it. I don't give a crap what you do....but you are intentionally keeping yourself in the dark, and then complaining about being in the dark.

All I'm saying, Pal, the info is out there and you refuse to access it. I don't give a crap what you do....but you are intentionally keeping yourself in the dark, and then complaining about being in the dark.

If you get your official information from twitter I feel sorry for you. What are you 12?

So you think that posting information on one single social media format constitutes a comprehensive marketing plan ? Think about that.......
I'm not reading that whole thing. As I just stated, the info was on twitter (according to another poster), and the guy said he would never do that. Choose to do what you want, as well - I really don't care. But sure seems not to be the most intelligent thing in the world to do, is refuse to go where they put the info, and then complain about not knowing. Must just be me....

If you get your official information from twitter I feel sorry for you. What are you 12?

YOU are the one complaining about not knowing. Someone pointed out it was on twitter. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but your only reaction was that you would never do that. Let that sink in, if you are capable. Someone directed you to where it was, and you said essentially, "screw that". Fine, have a beef with twitter....again, I couldn't give a rat's ass. But sure seems like a moronic position to take for someone who is so vehemently upset at not knowing anything.

If we ever pull in 41,000 for a spring game we will know that we have arrived as a football program. I'd like to see have a some OSU style winning seasons before I die. I hope I don't die disappointed. :D
I have a plan for immortality. I’ve vowed not to die before IU wins a football national championship.

Reactions: 76-1 and MrBing
YOU are the one complaining about not knowing. Someone pointed out it was on twitter. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but your only reaction was that you would never do that. Let that sink in, if you are capable. Someone directed you to where it was, and you said essentially, "screw that". Fine, have a beef with twitter....again, I couldn't give a rat's ass. But sure seems like a moronic position to take for someone who is so vehemently upset at not knowing anything.

Alright rcaulfie, I'll explain it to you slowly and then I'll put you on ignore.

When I make plans that include someone other then myself (in this case my grandson and his friend) I don't use freaking twitter as my go to source. Only a moron would do so.

I go to the Official site and expect to get official information there...

Let me guess, I'm interacting with an Athletic Department employee... That would explain a lot...

Guess football doesn’t matter at UM either, they cancelled their game on Wednesday, haven’t seen any bitching on their message boards although I’m sure many were disappointed. The horse is dead .........

I don't know specifically why UM cancelled but there was a record setting winter storm from Iowa through Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. If we had 20 to 30 inches of snow everyone would understand. We didn't. Yes, this horse is dead and I won't spur it anymore. It's over, but not forgotten.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1

Not even close. The weather projected for the WI and MI was a much more solid forecast that had been shown as a probable track for a full week prior...

The forecast I was looking at 7 days out showed a 60% probability of decent weather (overcast & windy) in the Bloomington area from approximately 9am-4pm a full week ahead and staying with that forecast daily. I checked it every day from the 7th on... Now in reality it was off by about an hour.

I can only conclude that Fred was using the Indianapolis area forecast which called for rain most of the day (they were wrong, Again)...

I live 30 minutes North of the stadium and I can tell you for certain that it was a good day to play Football. Outside.

They blew it. Period.

As has been stated multiple times there were plenty of work arounds even if the weather had gone bad...

Finally, I don't think we want to start following Harbaughs lead very often. That guy is about 4 cards short of a full deck...

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
Well, let's see. UM cancelled the game 3 days prior, when the forecast was indeed looking pretty grim. IU cancelled 1 day prior when the forecast had changed a showed a huge window to get the game in. Did UM go ahead and play the game and have a crappy internet feed that was unwatchable?

Harbaugh never wanted to play the game in the Big House in the first place.

he cancelled the game in protest that the UM brain trust wouldn't let him play their spring game in Miami.

Reactions: 76-1
Well, let's see. UM cancelled the game 3 days prior, when the forecast was indeed looking pretty grim. IU cancelled 1 day prior when the forecast had changed a showed a huge window to get the game in. Did UM go ahead and play the game and have a crappy internet feed that was unwatchable?
So because they cancelled 3 days in advance that is ok ? I see. Look if some people want to be angry with FG, that’s fine, but at least be honest about it. Do you have any idea if the problems with the feed were IU or BTN, I don’t.
Northwestern also cancelled their game AND youth skills clinic Saturday, I live near there, no lightning occurred, there was a little drizzle at times.Oh, and it was announced via tweet. “ I hate to break it to everyone, but our priority is us— to get the football team better and improving” Fitzgerald said. “ Maybe fans won’t like me because of it, but there’s a safety component to this, and if the weather looks inclement, we’re not going to change the schedule to sell a hot dog or two. “

We couldn't demand they come even though they played the week before. Letting them out of coming should have included playing the game this year in Bloomington and ending the series at FIU. Moving a game to 2024 is dumb and not likely to happen.

Most still remembered the poor handling of giving up a home NIT game when this game was cancelled and this contract was changed. Bad decisions seem to follow Glass lately. The Spring game is just the latest.

When we are in November needing to beat Maryland, Michigan and Purdue to go to a bowl game, we might be wishing we had played FIU at home that first week of the season. At least we will have basketball season to distract us.

don't forget selling our home game with PSU to DC.

Reactions: 76-1
So because they cancelled 3 days in advance that is ok ? I see. Look if some people want to be angry with FG, that’s fine, but at least be honest about it. Do you have any idea if the problems with the feed were IU or BTN, I don’t.
Northwestern also cancelled their game AND youth skills clinic Saturday, I live near there, no lightning occurred, there was a little drizzle at times.Oh, and it was announced via tweet. “ I hate to break it to everyone, but our priority is us— to get the football team better and improving” Fitzgerald said. “ Maybe fans won’t like me because of it, but there’s a safety component to this, and if the weather looks inclement, we’re not going to change the schedule to sell a hot dog or two. “

I'm not a Glass hater, in fact I have always defended him. How many fans does UM have in the seats on Saturday. How many wins did NW have last year? IU is not in the same situation as either if those schools. The fact is they should have played the game in MS and they should have known they could have played the game in MS when they closed it to the public. Let's see how many of those 10000 that bother to show up, show up next year and then tell me it's not important.

Not even close. The weather projected for the WI and MI was a much more solid forecast that had been shown as a probable track for a full week prior...

The forecast I was looking at 7 days out showed a 60% probability of decent weather (overcast & windy) in the Bloomington area from approximately 9am-4pm a full week ahead and staying with that forecast daily. I checked it every day from the 7th on... Now in reality it was off by about an hour.

I can only conclude that Fred was using the Indianapolis area forecast which called for rain most of the day (they were wrong, Again)...

I live 30 minutes North of the stadium and I can tell you for certain that it was a good day to play Football. Outside.

They blew it. Period.

As has been stated multiple times there were plenty of work arounds even if the weather had gone bad...

Finally, I don't think we want to start following Harbaughs lead very often. That guy is about 4 cards short of a full deck...
You apparently didn’t read the post I was responding to, as it said FG needed to make the game work REGARDLESS of weather (ie the forecasts are irrelevant) and football at IU needed to matter (with which I wholeheartedly agree). I responded with UM because they too could have made other plans , especially if they were so confident in the forecast 3 days ahead. But , lo and behold, they didn’t, neither did Northwestern or Wisconsin.
BTW, are you confident this was FG’s call and not the football program’s ?

I'm not a Glass hater, in fact I have always defended him. How many fans does UM have in the seats on Saturday. How many wins did NW have last year? IU is not in the same situation as either if those schools. The fact is they should have played the game in MS and they should have known they could have played the game in MS when they closed it to the public. Let's see how many of those 10000 that bother to show up, show up next year and then tell me it's not important.
Wow, so you really think cancelling the spring game will somehow affect attendance in a meaningful way next fall ? I think we will have the same loyal 35,000 and if we happen to get off to a good start and play a good opponent, maybe 45,000 on occasion. Do you think any of the students give a crap about the cancellation ?
Look, we can agree to disagree on the handling last weekend, but if the spring game is somehow more important to our fans than supporting the team against a “live” opponent, then that is pretty sad.

Reactions: eddy4iu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT