ADVERTISEMENT

My opinions on the next coach

BigLuv

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2001
With the B1G money, I don't think money is an issue in the discussion. My thought is you have about 3 options that would be considered a 'Grand Slam' hire so you'd hope FG would at least reach out to:

Stevens - most likely if not certainly a no
Donovan- what does Billy D really wanna do?
Jay Wright - he might make Fred wait too long but could you imagine if he was interested?

Then there is a group of 2 that would seemingly be great hires and possible answers for IU's championship riddle. In my order:

Marshall - the guy WINS. Have very little doubt in his ability to coach in-game, recruit, develop.
Miller - has taken Dayton to 4 straight NCAA's. Imagine if he had access to better talent.

Then there is a group of 2 that others have mentioned. I have reservations about both.

Bennett - Has built a nice resume. Not sure I really like the 'we MUST play slow or we'll lose' mentality although I love the defense he brings.

Alford - Just hasn't had NCAA tourney success. The kids he's recruited came to play for the school (UCLA), not him. The other Ball kids aren't coming with Alford, that's for sure. So can he recruit?

Because this is FG's chance right the IU ship (or lose his job), my hope is that he'll take a few grand slam swings before moving down the line.

I tend to think FG knew what he was doing sending IU to Atlanta.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News