ADVERTISEMENT

Muldoon’s on Main

snarlcakes

All-American
Sep 9, 2009
So….I follow a Facebook group that is all about tenderloins (don’t judge f#ck nuts, I’m a dream teamer). As you can imagine, it’s awesome. You get great picks of tenderloins and hilarious comments. It’s comparable to having sex with a pretty comedian. A wonderful time.

Anyhoo…..Muldoon’s popped up today and it looks delicious. @larsIU have you been? How is it? Or is Muldoon’s beneath you? I’d ask @Bloom. but he can afford string cheese and doesn’t dine at those type of establishments. @hookyIU1990 you have some hillbilly in you, have you been?

Last edited:
So….I follow a Facebook group that is all about tenderloins (don’t judge f#ck nuts, I’m a dream teamer). As you can imagine, it’s awesome. You get great picks of tenderloins and hilarious comments. It’s comparable to having sex with a pretty comedian. A wonderful time.

Anyhoo…..Muldoon’s popped up today and it looks delicious. @larsIU have you been? How is it? Or is Muldoon’s beneath you? I’d ask @Bloom. but he can afford string cheese and doesn’t dine at those type of establishments. @hookyIU1990 you have some hillbilly in you, have you been?
Muldoon's is fine. Tenderloin is a b/b+. I've had better. Not bad though.

Is the Red Onion in Sheridan still around?

Sounds good enough for myself. I’ll try it out. Not sure if the Red Onion is still open, never been.

Reactions: larsIU

What makes a good tenderloin? Most are kinda dry? Is it the breading?

What makes a good tenderloin? Most are kinda dry? Is it the breading?
first, the pork needs to be quality. And not TOOO thin. Pound it out, but don't go overboard. Breading, yes. Needs to be top notch.

But there are few requirements:

1. The meat must be 50% larger (at least) than the bun
2. You can use yellow mustard but better mustard is a better sandwich
3. Pickles are the only thing other than mustard allowed on a tenderloin. If you put mayo on it, you're shunned.

I haven't been for a while. I used to go alot more often before they moved to current location.

Agree with Lars it's a solid B. The Mill Tavern up at 161st and Springmill has a similar one, but the beer selection is better.

Indiana has a Tenderloin Trail. If you wanted to get ridiculous about about it. One Eyed Jack's in Winimac is going to be a stop soon. Supposed to be really good. Just needed a reason to be all the way up there.

I’m not a fan of tenderloin sandwich, but the pork tenderloin meal at Bonges is the best I’ve ever had.

Reactions: Bill4411 and DANC
first, the pork needs to be quality. And not TOOO thin. Pound it out, but don't go overboard. Breading, yes. Needs to be top notch.

3. Pickles are the only thing other than mustard allowed on a tenderloin. If you put mayo on it, you're shunned.
I load mine up. I like pickle, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, Mayo, and mustard. #dreamteamer

I do like onion on mine to go with the mustard and pickle. A buddy adds cheese and mayo to those 3. Kind of cringe to me, but more power to him.

I miss the days when I could eat one for lunch once a week at the Pawn Shop when it was down on College. Tenderloin and beer cheese soup with a beer when the old pot belly stove was going in the winter...perfection.

If I ate like that now, I could be Brendan Faser's stunt double.

I do like onion on mine to go with the mustard and pickle. A buddy adds cheese and mayo to those 3. Kind of cringe to me, but more power to him.

I miss the days when I could eat one for lunch once a week at the Pawn Shop when it was down on College. Tenderloin and beer cheese soup with a beer when the old pot belly stove was going in the winter...perfection.

I can see onion, but I can see even better....pickled onions.

I recently discovered pickled onions. It's like a fetish at this point.

I can see onion, but I can see even better....pickled onions.

I recently discovered pickled onions. It's like a fetish at this point.
Pickled onions improve everything that you'd put regular onions on, right?

Chorizo nachos at Sun King with pickled Onions, FTW !!! Fight me!!!

ck7AsXk.jpg

I'll admit the tenderloin is a good substitute for the king of all sandwiches...the Chicken Fried Steak sandwich (or @ Dairy Queen... "The Dude").

I wonder if you can still get a Dude for $4.99? Probably not.

I've had a local eatery create a "Dude" off the menu. Cloverleaf South will make you one if you ask. The cooks love it. CFS, lettuce, tomato, mayo on a buttered bun. Simple.

Locally, Southern Stone and this place called "The Cabin" out on 446 seem to have the best tenderloins for my taste. I could actually hear the guy at the Cabin pounding the tenderloin in the back with a hammer. Thing was great.

That said, I have it with lettuce, tomato, and mayo...like a CFS sandwich.

I’m super excited about the Dream Team movie (maybe prestige TV series) that hoosboot and I are in development on. I’ll be adding this tidbit.

It’s the details that really make the movie, I think.
Don’t make me gay, black, or a chick. I’m a white red blooded big (and sexy) male. I like tenderloins, pretty baby dolls, and cooking. And Bitcoin. Love Bitcoin.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
"The Cabin" out on 446 seem to have the best tenderloins for my taste. I could actually hear the guy at the Cabin pounding the tenderloin in the back with a hammer. Thing was great.
Is the Cabin still open?

Had one at what's now the Ordinary in Nashville a few years ago that was pretty good. I would always duck in there through the alley entrance to the bar for a beer when we were down there. Brownies in Bean Blossom used to be good too. Haven't been to either since the Covid mess though.

Is the Cabin still open?

Had one at what's now the Ordinary in Nashville a few years ago that was pretty good. I would always duck in there through the alley entrance to the bar for a beer when we were down there. Brownies in Bean Blossom used to be good too. Haven't been to either since the Covid mess though.
Yeah...Cabin's still operating. He's got a coveted Monroe County liquor license, so he's gotta keep that thing going even if he's always trying to sell. That said, it's a cool, old school place.

You ever hit Holt's down in Judah? We'll roll down there for the breakfast buffet every once in awhile. Daughter loves it because she always gets to see "real farmers" (old guys wearing overalls with a farm equipment trucker hat). Their tenderloin is supposedly legit.

Don't sleep on Hendricksville Diner out in Solsberry though. Solid tenderloin as well.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Yeah...Cabin's still operating. He's got a coveted Monroe County liquor license, so he's gotta keep that thing going even if he's always trying to sell. That said, it's a cool, old school place.

You ever hit Holt's down in Judah? We'll roll down there for the breakfast buffet every once in awhile. Daughter loves it because she always gets to see "real farmers" (old guys wearing overalls with a farm equipment trucker hat). Their tenderloin is supposedly legit.

Don't sleep on Hendricksville Diner out in Solsberry though. Solid tenderloin as well.
No to both Holt's and Hendricksville Diner. Will file those away for when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm on that one and the other one that's 'Hoosier style'.

Good info on those sites!

Reactions: snarlcakes

False. Mayo, Tomato, and Onion. Pickles - ick. Mustard.... meh

• Sad
I haven't been for a while. I used to go alot more often before they moved to current location.

Agree with Lars it's a solid B. The Mill Tavern up at 161st and Springmill has a similar one, but the beer selection is better.

Indiana has a Tenderloin Trail. If you wanted to get ridiculous about about it. One Eyed Jack's in Winimac is going to be a stop soon. Supposed to be really good. Just needed a reason to be all the way up there.
Have you ever had one at Grindstone Charley's? It's excellent - probably my favorite. Not a traditional Indiana 'loin, but so good.

Ned's Corner Pub in Kokomo is solid, as is Artie's, which is close by. Ray's Drive-In on the north side has one of the king-size tenderloins, but it's pretty thin

I’m not a fan of tenderloin sandwich, but the pork tenderloin meal at Bonges is the best I’ve ever had.
Perkinsville Pork is a schnitzel - don't you dare call it a pork tenderloin.

Reactions: jet812
Have you ever had one at Grindstone Charley's? It's excellent - probably my favorite. Not a traditional Indiana 'loin, but so good.

Ned's Corner Pub in Kokomo is solid, as is Artie's, which is close by. Ray's Drive-In on the north side has one of the king-size tenderloins, but it's pretty thin
Not a fan of Grindstone in general. I'll add Ned's and Artie's to the list.

I have had Ray's and it was so dry. The downside of them being so thin. It's easy to leave them in the grease for too long.

Reactions: DANC
What's the difference?
Good question. Basically, there is none, except ingredients. Probably how they're prepared, but I'm not a chef, so I don't know.

Bonge's schnitzel' breading is like what they use in Germany. And it has a lemon flavor, which is also common in Germany. It's also lightly breaded, which matches what I've had in Germany. They also don't seem as oily as some breaded port tenderloins in the States.

Schnitzels aren't served on bread or a bun, which is also a difference.

Obviously, with Indiana's German heritage, BPTs became popular here because of the schnitzel from the home country.

A schnitzel can also be made with veal (Wiener Art) or chicken, as well as pork.

Not a fan of Grindstone in general. I'll add Ned's and Artie's to the list.

I have had Ray's and it was so dry. The downside of them being so thin. It's easy to leave them in the grease for too long.
Not a fan of Grindstone's either, but it's Kokomo, so you're kind of limited in choice. But their BPTs are good - get a side of gravy with it.

On Thursday, Ned's used to have a baked tenderloin special on Thursdays. Mmmmm-Mmmm good! Tenderloin smothered in gravy - heart attack on a plate.

Arties is an old-fashioned diner just across the street. Old timey place.

Good question. Basically, there is none, except ingredients. Probably how they're prepared, but I'm not a chef, so I don't know.

Bonge's schnitzel' breading is like what they use in Germany. And it has a lemon flavor, which is also common in Germany. It's also lightly breaded, which matches what I've had in Germany. They also don't seem as oily as some breaded port tenderloins in the States.

Obviously, with Indiana's German heritage, BPTs became popular here because of the schnitzel from the home country.

A schnitzel can also be made with veal (Wiener Art) or chicken, as well as pork.
Ah yes I thought maybe there was something particular about that one.

In parts of Ohio, they serve breaded veal sandwiches the way we do pork tenderloin. Almost certainly also a German heritage kind of thing.

Ah yes I thought maybe there was something particular about that one.

In parts of Ohio, they serve breaded veal sandwiches the way we do pork tenderloin. Almost certainly also a German heritage kind of thing.
If you want a unique experience, go to Bonge's. It's in Perkinsville, which is an unincorporated town along the White River between Anderson and Cicero.

When I met my wife (she's from Anderson), she took me to this place that was a dive bar that only served beer. Very cold beer to the locals and anyone fishing on the White River. Rumors were the upstairs used to be a whorehouse. Place was a dump.

Then some guy from Carmel - he either cooked, or owned, the Glass Chimney, and bought the place and fixed it up. He has about 4 items that always on the menu and 3 or 4 that change out. It didn't used to accept reservations, so people would literally tailgate while waiting for a table. By the time you got your table, everyone was usually sloshed. It's a very small place - maybe seats 50 people.

The food is excellent and it's actually reasonably priced. The clientele is what used to be called Yuppies.

The owner just sold it to another guy who has a place in Fortville and supposedly isn't changing anything. Probably my favorite restaurant anywhere.

I always just assumed the difference was pan fried vs. deep fried, but have no idea if that's really the case.

I ate a bunch of schnitzel as a kid, but I didn't know it. Fast forward to 2006 and I'm in Germany eating schnitzel, which was just like the "breaded pork chops" I grew up eating.

Reactions: DANC
I always just assumed the difference was pan fried vs. deep fried, but have no idea if that's really the case.

I ate a bunch of schnitzel as a kid, but I didn't know it. Fast forward to 2006 and I'm in Germany eating schnitzel, which was just like the "breaded pork chops" I grew up eating.
That's usually the difference. Europeans don't like deep frying quite like we do. But most people wouldn't correct you over the type of frying, so I figured there must be something particularly unique about Danc's place.

Well, that's true, but I make BPTs in a skillet. But you're right - most places deep fry them.

I remember when I first had a schnitzel in Germany. I was 19 and in the Army and thought a schnitzel was like a hot dog. lol Imagine my surprise when they brought out something I recognized as a breaded tenderloin. lol

That's usually the difference. Europeans don't like deep frying quite like we do. But most people wouldn't correct you over the type of frying, so I figured there must be something particularly unique about Danc's place.
It's like the difference of eating steak at Sullivan's vs Ponderosa (if you're old enough to remember that)

A friend putting cheese on a tenderloin would have me thinking about our friendship.

You'll be all three and you'll like it!

Wanda Sykes is already coming in to read for your part.
I’ll accept being a trans, but don’t make me a shitcoiner or Keynesian. I already had the talk with my daughter. Honey, it’s ok if you come home and tell Daddy you work on the pole, but I’ll disown your ass if you own Dogecoin.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT