ADVERTISEMENT

Much of purdue nation thought you got mugged last night just like we did on Sunday.

BCfanatic2020

Redshirt
Nov 7, 2020
Northwestern is engaging in some 1978 NBA basketball stuff. They weren’t good enough to beat Purdue or Indiana.

The officials seem to do this thing where they say “it’s tough to recruit to northwestern because of academic standards, so let’s let them tackle receivers with the ball in the air in football and get away with way more contact than their opponents in basketball.”

Disgraceful. You got robbed. I hope you or we get them in the BTT and win by 25.

I saw all the crying on GBI on Monday and thought everyone was just a bunch of sore loser pansies. I then watched the replay of the last 10 min of that game on B1G network yesterday (2 hrs before our game) and thought, yeah, this does seem a little too physical, I haven't seen B1G ball called like this in 2 decades....WTF? Then the IU game started and within 2 minutes....uh oh, same shit. And it's only NW....hell Wisky doesn't even play like this.
The short little tan ref is a real problem...other threads on this board address this issue. He sucks and has a very questionable past, should get tossed from the league.

The moving screens from last night were absolutely unbearable. The officials had to absolutely intentionally allow them. Have been officiating for many years and you don’t miss those as often as they were. It’s absolutely terrible game management to allow those
Moving screens were a point of emphasis a few years back and they called them like crazy. Seem to be forgotten now.

Moving screens were a point of emphasis a few years back and they called them like crazy. Seem to be forgotten now.
Tom Pritchard is probably sitting at home thinking what the heck.:). He was called for so many moving screens. His screens came no where close to what I saw last night that weren’t called.

I normally don’t get to irritated about the officiating, but last night was tough to watch.

Northwestern is engaging in some 1978 NBA basketball stuff. They weren’t good enough to beat Purdue or Indiana.

The officials seem to do this thing where they say “it’s tough to recruit to northwestern because of academic standards, so let’s let them tackle receivers with the ball in the air in football and get away with way more contact than their opponents in basketball.”

Disgraceful. You got robbed. I hope you or we get them in the BTT and win by 25.
Northwesteren will not go far in the NCAA when they start getting called for all these fouls.

I've said this several times, and I will say it again... The B1G needs to address basketball officiating.

In my opinion, it is the biggest elephant in the room of why the B1G has not produced a National Championship winner in over 20 years. I will say that again, IN OVER 20 YEARS. Yes, there has been some near misses, but those are too few for a conference that routinely puts in 8 to 9 teams. It has been especially egregious the last 5 years.

I've said this several times, and I will say it again... The B1G needs to address basketball officiating.

In my opinion, it is the biggest elephant in the room of why the B1G has not produced a National Championship winner in over 20 years. I will say that again, IN OVER 20 YEARS. Yes, there has been some near misses, but those are too few for a conference that routinely puts in 8 to 9 teams. It has been especially egregious the last 5 years.
100% and why Purdue will probably flame out before the elite 8. The big ten has won one national championship since 1989.

I saw all the crying on GBI on Monday and thought everyone was just a bunch of sore loser pansies. I then watched the replay of the last 10 min of that game on B1G network yesterday (2 hrs before our game) and thought, yeah, this does seem a little too physical, I haven't seen B1G ball called like this in 2 decades....WTF? Then the IU game started and within 2 minutes....uh oh, same shit. And it's only NW....hell Wisky doesn't even play like this.
The short little tan ref is a real problem...other threads on this board address this issue. He sucks and has a very questionable past, should get tossed from the league.
Last year that official was on a crew with DJ Carson (i believe) and another official who looked a lot like him. I referred to them as Lurch and the two munchkins. Is the other short official still in the BIG or did I see that he is now in the SEC? If that was him in the SEC game he absolutely blew the worst call this year. Even Bilas was amazed how bad a call it was. O player ran right over the D who was standing still and in perfect position and called for blocking. Had too see it to believe it.

my brother was forced to listed to the game on IU internet radio last night, but said Fisch did all he could to keep it professional, but was obvious he could not believe what he was seeing. Coming from a guy who's called IU games for 50 yrs. Nuff said.

Reactions: susyq and indyogb

Wow, the entire state of Indiana, whether cream and crimson or gold and black, are a bunch of whiners and wussies. Who would have thought?

It’s the B1G. Have your players eat some protein or something.

Wow, the entire state of Indiana, whether cream and crimson or gold and black, are a bunch of whiners and wussies. Who would have thought?

Alright Kitty Kat, time to take a hike.

This is coming from PU, lol. You understand that Gene Keady is the man responsible for turning Big Ten basketball into ugly football, right?

Last night's game is a reflection of a systemic problem that has been going on a long time. The Big Ten hasn't won a championship since 2000: it isn't an accident.

My understanding is these guys are independent contractors and they can work in Spokane Washington one night then the big ten for an afternoon game the next day? They aren’t beholden to a conference?

It would be nice to see influential alum from all or most big ten schools lobby for some changes.

Reactions: wi_hoosier

The problem moron is the officials were calling touch fouls on the boilers and Hoosiers. I still can’t name your center but you honestly don’t think edey or TJD could dominate him if the officials allowed them the same level of contact?

It also impacts recruiting. Other conferences negative recruit against "tackle basketball".

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
This is coming from PU, lol. You understand that Gene Keady is the man responsible for turning Big Ten basketball into ugly football, right?

Last night's game is a reflection of a systemic problem that has been going on a long time. The Big Ten hasn't won a championship since 2000: it isn't an accident.
I wasn’t around for most of Keady but if keady’s Purdue team was getting those calls and playing like that last night, I’d be saying the same thing. It needs to be fixed whoever it benefits

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
I wasn’t around for most of Keady but if keady’s Purdue team was getting those calls and playing like that last night, I’d be saying the same thing. It needs to be fixed whoever it benefits
That is fantastic. The Pistons had the Jordan rules for a reason: they weren't as good as he was, and the only way they could beat Jordan was to "beat" him up. Teams that don't have the talent whine and try to beat up the other team because that is the only way they can win: Keady made a living out of it.

Basically, PU and Keady created this mess: I don't want to hear it. Big Ten teams beat the crap out of each other, and the NCAA refs don't call games this way.

Basically, PU and Keady created this mess: I don't want to hear it.
Keady didn't create over-physical punk ball .. it's probably always been around. RMK teams brought a physical defensive style to the game that everyone copied... he could also be blamed... Keady was only copying him as did everyone else.

But, being physical and playing like punk ass bitches is two different things. Every conference team is physical they have to be to compete but Rutgers and now Northwestern play like punk ass thugs. It needs addressed.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Keady didn't create over-physical punk ball .. it's probably always been around. RMK teams brought a physical defensive style to the game that everyone copied... he could also be blamed... Keady was only copying him as did everyone else.

But, being physical and playing like punk ass bitches is two different things. Every conference team is physical they have to be to compete but Rutgers and now Northwestern play like punk ass thugs. It needs addressed.
Keady didn't invent it, but he certainly brought it to the Big Ten and teams had to react to it. RMK normally had the talent and didn't need to beat up other teams to win. True, RMK's teams played hard and could be physical, but they didn't beat up other players. Keady always had big goons and a talent discrepency, and he got away with whatever fouls that he could. Keady wasn't stupid: he had to bridge the talent gap, and he did it by any means necessary.

That is fantastic. The Pistons had the Jordan rules for a reason: they weren't as good as he was, and the only way they could beat Jordan was to "beat" him up. Teams that don't have the talent whine and try to beat up the other team because that is the only way they can win: Keady made a living out of it.

Basically, PU and Keady created this mess: I don't want to hear it. Big Ten teams beat the crap out of each other, and the NCAA refs don't call games this way.
I’m sorry man.. I don’t live in a world where I think everything IU is bad and everything Purdue is good. If you, court and td75 are looking to have that out, you’re gonna have to find other Purdue fans. If I was an Iowa fan I’d think both Purdue and IU got robbed these past few days

Reactions: SaratogaBoiler1
I’m sorry man.. I don’t live in a world where I think everything IU is bad and everything Purdue is good. If you, court and td75 are looking to have that out, you’re gonna have to find other Purdue fans. If I was an Iowa fan I’d think both Purdue and IU got robbed these past few days
IU scored 19 points in the first half: that normally doesn't get it done. There are things that IU could control, and they didn't get it done. The 2nd half was a great effort, but you have to play the whole game. The problem with digging yourself a big hole is you likely aren't going to be able to dig yourself out. IU had a lot to play for last night, and the 1st half effort was totally unacceptable.

The Big Ten referee situation has been f'd for a long, long time, and the Big Ten doesn't give a crap. They are fine with no championships since 2000. I can't make them fix it. PU and Keady created this mess. It is bizarre to see PU fans whine about this now.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
IU scored 19 points in the first half: that normally doesn't get it done. There are things that IU could control, and they didn't get it done. The 2nd half was a great effort, but you have to play the whole game. The problem with digging yourself a big hole is you likely aren't going to be able to dig yourself out. IU had a lot to play for last night, and the 1st half effort was totally unacceptable.

The Big Ten referee situation has been f'd for a long, long time, and the Big Ten doesn't give a crap. They are fine with no championships since 2000. I can't make them fix it. PU and Keady created this mess. It is bizarre to see PU fans whine about this now.
Like I said I wasn’t around for much of leases career. I can tell you that even compared to a lot of other games I’ve watched in conference, these last two northwestern games have been particularly egregious. And not just toward Purdue.

And it’s one thing to let two teams duke it out. Ok fine. But those games were not called both ways at all.

You all lost by 2. You’d have win by 10+ with straight up officiating … obviously i think the same of us, but I’m biased of course

Like I said I wasn’t around for much of leases career. I can tell you that even compared to a lot of other games I’ve watched in conference, these last two northwestern games have been particularly egregious. And not just toward Purdue.

And it’s one thing to let two teams duke it out. Ok fine. But those games were not called both ways at all.

You all lost by 2. You’d have win by 10+ with straight up officiating … obviously i think the same of us, but I’m biased of course
PU was up 8 with 3 and a half to go. Sure, the ref situation in the Big Ten sucks. But, PU didn't close and made lot of mistakes at the end: not the refs' fault.

Tom Pritchard is probably sitting at home thinking what the heck.:). He was called for so many moving screens. His screens came no where close to what I saw last night that weren’t called.

I normally don’t get to irritated about the officiating, but last night was tough to watch.
Tom played in the wrong area. But at least he had that crazy slam dunk against Minny.

My understanding is these guys are independent contractors and they can work in Spokane Washington one night then the big ten for an afternoon game the next day? They aren’t beholden to a conference?

It would be nice to see influential alum from all or most big ten schools lobby for some changes.
They are IC's but most of them have affiliations that have them work heavily in one league or another.

The BIG is an easy gig as they don.t have to pay much attention...let them beat the shit out of each other and cll just enought to make the numbers look right.

PU was up 8 with 3 and a half to go. Sure, the ref situation in the Big Ten sucks. But, PU didn't close and made lot of mistakes at the end: not the refs' fault.
PU is as guilty as NU from a tackle basketball standpoint. What Edey gets away with is criminal.

Amen brother.

People what they want to see.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

It also impacts recruiting. Other conferences negative recruit against "tackle basketball".
Totally impacts recruiting. You have to recruit to survive your conference first. Wisky and Purdue have done that. But the, "it's the Big Ten" when speaking to officiating doesn't fly in the NCAAs. A look at the who's who of NBA also speaks to the recruiting the B1G is getting versus other P5s. And the style of play to survive the B1G doesn't play well there either. Only 1 player in the NBA top 50, repeat 1 out of the top 50 is from the NBA... and that 1 (Jordan Poole) is around 50.

That’s pretty simple minded. There were aggressive defenses before Keady. Were the other 9 coaches just following Keady?

I agree. And yet with decent refereeing we’d have won a sloppy one by about 3-5.
You have to be thrilled with the first half of your MD game. Smith busting ass and Edey with only two fouls after several possessions where he committed two fouls each. This league is out of control.

I have to wonder what JHS tells recruits in private. Wouldn't be surprised if its "don't play in the B10." Can't count how many times he's been knocked down with no call.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

You are too dumb to understand. NW fans are basketball illiterates. The officiating has been a problem for a decade. It’s why no high 5* guards choose not to play in this conference. If you knew basketball you would know that. Now kindly stfu.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT