ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Hires OSU HC Jonathan Smith

We’ll see. He’s never coached in the Midwest or recruited in this part of the country.
They pulled same trick with John L Smith and did not work out. Came from West Coast by way of Louisville

Last edited:
We’ll see. He’s never coached in the Midwest or recruited in this part of the country.
I don't care where (geographically) he coached. He took an also-ran P5 team and turned them into a respected, nationally ranked program.

Recruiting and the portal are national undertakings now, and the Big Ten is now a national conference with a footprint from Atlantic to Pacific. The importance of Midwest recruiting is no longer what it was, due in part to the fact that the Midwest lags behind the south (Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Florida) and west (California) in terms of high school football talent. Smith never coached in California but he's got California roots. He'll probably be able to mine that state effectively.

Smith could fall flat on his face at MSU but, if he does, it won't be because the MSU administration made a bone-headed decision in hiring him.

The conference just got tougher. MSU will have some NIL money. Enough to become a tough out, now with a good coach. They have a fan base that loves football.

Being from up near the northern border of Indiana growing up, I always pulled for them when not playing Indiana or Purdue. Glad this guy doesn't sound dirty. Not that there is 'dirty' anymore with NIL. Most of the sleaze is 'legal'.

The conference just got tougher. MSU will have some NIL money. Enough to become a tough out, now with a good coach. They have a fan base that loves football.

Being from up near the northern border of Indiana growing up, I always pulled for them when not playing Indiana or Purdue. Glad this guy doesn't sound dirty. Not that there is 'dirty' anymore with NIL. Most of the sleaze is 'legal'.

After all that has come out of that institution over the last decade or so, how can you not want that place to burn to the ground?

After all that has come out of that institution over the last decade or so, how can you not want that place to burn to the ground?
I said "Glad this guy doesn't sound dirty."

I'm not an MSU fan. Living in Michigan as I do now though, I'm rooting for State when they play Harbaugh. Sorry, just the way it is.

Plus there's a lot of decent people who do attend or work for the University, and decent people who are fans. Same as Penn State.

If somebody connected with IU gets convicted of a bad crime, I'm not asking for IU to be burned to the ground.

I don't care where (geographically) he coached. He took an also-ran P5 team and turned them into a respected, nationally ranked program.

Recruiting and the portal are national undertakings now, and the Big Ten is now a national conference with a footprint from Atlantic to Pacific. The importance of Midwest recruiting is no longer what it was, due in part to the fact that the Midwest lags behind the south (Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Florida) and west (California) in terms of high school football talent. Smith never coached in California but he's got California roots. He'll probably be able to mine that state effectively.

Smith could fall flat on his face at MSU but, if he does, it won't be because the MSU administration made a bone-headed decision in hiring him.
Exactly the kind of hire IU needs. I think Smith hired a TE coach (too lazy to Google) from Wisconsin to address recruiting in the Midwest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT