ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

She's got Amazon Prime. But there's no way I'm telling her that unless I know the rest will be available there too. That setup is just like the pusher man -- the first one's free.

I watched the 1st on Amazon. I liked it a lot, decided to wait until the season was done then get 1 month to watch the rest. When I cancel, I am getting one month of HBO to get Avenue 5 and west world.

Watching Superstar tonight and I see Killing Eve starts tonight. With Bosch about to start, I am starting to get shows I like back on.

Little Fires Everywhere, anyone? We're several episodes in and are enjoying it. Each episode has a bit of a twist and a reveal at the end, with the next episode taking it from there.

Little Fires Everywhere, anyone? We're several episodes in and are enjoying it. Each episode has a bit of a twist and a reveal at the end, with the next episode taking it from there.

We saw episode 1 Friday, my wife loved it. She thought it was much like Big Little Lies that she loved. I could not hold my attention on either.

We saw episode 1 Friday, my wife loved it. She thought it was much like Big Little Lies that she loved. I could not hold my attention on either.
Haven't seen Big Little Lies, so can't compare. Little Fires seemed a bit plodding early on, but I chalked it up to me having a short attention span for TV shows. It gets better. If the Boss likes it, it would be worthwhile watching with her. I think it will grow on you. Not binge-worthy, but worth watching regularly.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Saving Little Fires until it is all out. Read the book and liked it. If you didn’t see Andrea Bocelli song at the Duomo in Milan today, check it out. Only half an hour and the ending was Amazing Grace, showing empty streets in big cities all around the world. Very poignant.

We finished Little Fires Everywhere. To an extent, it reminded me of Parasite. I think the meaning deserves diiisccussionn, in Fiires it is white privilege, race,, LGTBQ. I think this story is better, but like Parasite I found the characters disappointing. There is no nuance, to steal a popular phrase. I see no reason to care about any of them beyond Izzy. So the plot was fine, the characters needed a little help.

My wife loved it. I cannot wait until my SiL who lived in Shaker Heights in the 90s sees it.

Reactions: UncleMark
We finished Little Fires Everywhere. To an extent, it reminded me of Parasite. I think the meaning deserves diiisccussionn, in Fiires it is white privilege, race,, LGTBQ. I think this story is better, but like Parasite I found the characters disappointing. There is no nuance, to steal a popular phrase. I see no reason to care about any of them beyond Izzy. So the plot was fine, the characters needed a little help.

My wife loved it. I cannot wait until my SiL who lived in Shaker Heights in the 90s sees it.
We finished it last night ourselves. For me, Elana was the most compelling character. Not really believable, but there were echoes of some of the moms I knew growing up, including my own.

So what’s everybody reading or watching? My new favorite tv show is Killing Eve. It’s about a female assassin, on BBC , starring Sandra Oh as the detective trying to catch her. Creepy good. I’m reading Killers of the Flower Moon, about the murders of Native Americans in Oseage County and the beginnings of the FBI. Just saw RBG, and was surprised at how gorgeous she was. Also had no idea she was involved in women’s issues since college and tried 6 cases at Supreme Court, winning 5 of them. What’s everyone else enjoying?
1917 was fantastic

1917 was fantastic

In a similar vein, anyone else seen The Village on Amazon? Just started and I'm into the 2nd season and it's very well done...

It's a look at the history of 20th Century England through the daily social interactions of one particular village in a fairly remote area of England. It's told retroactively through the memories of the "oldest man in the UK", starting in 2014 when he was 8 yrs old. Most of the residents are dirt poor and the class distinctions between the poor and the upper crust are fascinating to observe. To this point Bert, the protagonist is up to his 20s, and post-WW1 England is confronting the reality of societal change in the midst of the advent of labor unions...

It's very well crafted, seems historically accurate and is extremely illuminating, but it's also very depressing. Some of what they depict paints a less than flattering image of "civilized society" and a country we allied with in WW1. The sacrifice of the poor in the name of "the greater good" and the summary execution of Bert's older brother ( a victim of shell shock) as a "deserter" for being psychologically incapable of returning to the slaughter in France are the types of atrocities you'd expect to happen in the Kaiser's Fatherland not 20th Century England...

And speaking of depictions of British society and culture on Amazon, I highly recommend checking out Sex Education. The story revolves around a culturally diverse semi-elite 21st Century secondary school in England and includes a cast of quirky but extremely likable characters.

It's a novel take on a coming of age tale, where the main protagonist is the only son of a semi-renowned "sex educator" who is raising him alone and thoroughly embarrassing him in the process. One of the semi plots revolves around his conflict with his mom's activities, and at the same time emulating her role at his own school in a hilarious attempt to achieve popularity among his peers.

Various subplots include his openly flamboyant best friend ( who is the son of very religious African immigrants) becoming involved with the (closeted) homophobic son of the headmaster. The closeted son is basically the school's hooligan, and as the first season concludes he is being shuttled off to Miltary boarding school after embarrassing his dad by exposing himself in the middle of a school assembly.

I blazed through the first season in about a day, and then for the first time ever set up a reminder to be notified when Season 2 becomes available. When that happened, I jumped in and binged through that quickly as well...

Another series I highly enjoyed was Ultraviolet on Netflix. It's a Polish (English captioned) comedy/drama about a very quirky group of internet sleuths (Ultraviolet) who take on murder cases the Police have either bungled or ignored. Again it's filled with very likable and sympathetic characters that you want to root for. Very well written with contemporary plots like Eastern Europe's refugee situation, soccer hooliganism, cold cases dating back to the Communist era, and bribery and corruption in major Polish cities. Extremely entertaining- keeps you guessing...

Last edited:
I loved that movie except the final 3 minutes or so. I don't know why I didn't like it I just prefer the meeting not to have been shown.
I think it was an attempt to show English stoicism

also...
I was surprised/disappointed at the lack of conflict with the Colonel. The foreshadowing was that the guy would not withdraw and he did relatively easily.

The old man committed suicide.

Anybody watching The Hunters? Interesting story line brought to the screen through a poor imitation of Quinton Tarantino. Al Pacino holds it together. Otherwise mostly just way to pass the time.

World on Fire is good stuff.

Anybody watching The Hunters? Interesting story line brought to the screen through a poor imitation of Quinton Tarantino. Al Pacino holds it together. Otherwise mostly just way to pass the time.

I watched Hunters. Started strong. Finished with a weird limp in my opinion.

Reactions: cosmickid
Wife likes anything British. We've done some BBC series, mostly police procedurals. The latest is "DCI Banks" on Hulu. Actually quite good. Each story is two episodes long, about an hour each. The end of the first episode always has an interesting reveal, and the end isn't necessarily a mind blowing twist but it's usually a bit unexpected.

Agreed. I watched 5 or so episodes of the hunters and stopped. Just finished formula 1 on Netflix. Super entertaining.

OK, Hollywood on Netflix is beyond Decadent. Probably why I can't stop watching...
I’m watching it also but it’s terribly flawed. Could have been much better. The gas station is based upon Scotty Bowers autobiography “Full Service”. I think Scotty lied a lot.

OK, Hollywood on Netflix is beyond Decadent. Probably why I can't stop watching...

I watched episode 1 and could not get into it. I don't know if the main character in that episode stayed the main character, but he seemed pretty boring.

Just so everyone knows, I am going to be back on television on HBO Max. Here is a sample of the new Looney Tunes, with my buddy Sam as Bugs' antagonist. I notice his guns are missing.

I watched episode 1 and could not get into it. I don't know if the main character in that episode stayed the main character, but he seemed pretty boring.
It gets better when Jim Parsons appears-and the beginning of the third episode is a hoot because of Jim but overall it is pretty underwhelming. If you want to watch something that is better watch the old A.J. Benza episodes of "Mysteries and Scandals" on YouTube.

Read:
Immortal Irishman, about Thomas Meagher: interesting, talk about a full life
The Splendid and the Vile: just ok, not Larson's best
Just Started:
The Warmth of Other Suns

Well I know you’ll all want to hop aboard this one. My mind is mush. I’m watching Love Island. It’s so hard for me to read right now, it’s frustrating.

Well I know you’ll all want to hop aboard this one. My mind is mush. I’m watching Love Island. It’s so hard for me to read right now, it’s frustrating.
I am the opposite, nothing on tv looks interesting. It helps that the last 5-6 books i've read have been good though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT