ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

I read Blake Crouch's Recursion today. Interesting book, although it's very reminiscent of his previous Dark Matter. The guy can definitely twist a complicated plot into something tight and sensible, but I'd like to see him develop some other parts of his craft. Dialogue and description were fine, but nothing extraordinary. Still, a pretty exciting read for someone in a hurry.

Me and SWMBO went and saw Star Wars on Christmas Eve.

I'm not a fan. Don't hate them, just don't see what all the fuss is about. There's also a limit to the suspension of disbelief I can summon up, and the Star Wars movies always exceed them. She, on the other hand loves them, most likely because her kids were raised on Star Wars, and are still fanatics.

Does this make me a bad person?

Me and SWMBO went and saw Star Wars on Christmas Eve.

I'm not a fan. Don't hate them, just don't see what all the fuss is about. There's also a limit to the suspension of disbelief I can summon up, and the Star Wars movies always exceed them. She, on the other hand loves them, most likely because her kids were raised on Star Wars, and are still fanatics.

Does this make me a bad person?

What is there not to love? If you don't read the bible or koran, Star War will suffice and immensely more fun. A good collection of stories that includes evil, hope, good v bad, temptations -- lessons/fables to learn from. Then there is a motley crew of characters too.

What is there not to love? If you don't read the bible or koran, Star War will suffice and immensely more fun. A good collection of stories that includes evil, hope, good v bad, temptations -- lessons/fables to learn from. Then there is a motley crew of characters too.

And then there was this last movie which was a collection of half formed thought, random events, and a desire to undo what had already happened.

"Random events" strikes a chord. It looked to me like it was edited to jump from one swashbuckling scene or dogfight to another.

We talking about a koran, bible or a movie now?

wink.gif

Never been a Star Wars or Star Trek fan. I’ve seen some of them , but generally they bore me.

Reactions: cosmickid
Never been a Star Wars or Star Trek fan. I’ve seen some of them , but generally they bore me.
For me, Star Trek is a whole different matter. Those I enjoy (although the most recent have not been up to the earlier standard). Trek is more science fictiony, while Wars is Bonanza in space.

Reactions: Bill4411
For me, Star Trek is a whole different matter. Those I enjoy (although the most recent have not been up to the earlier standard). Trek is more science fictiony, while Wars is Bonanza in space.
I concur. I turned 13 the very weekend the first Star Wars movie was released. I should be a huge fan, but am not a fan at all. My favorite movie set in space is 2001.

Me and the wife saw Ford v. Ferrari a couple days ago and both of us really enjoyed it.

I started Kitchen Confidential last night. I've meant to read it for years. My son is a chef and Anthony Bordain was literally his hero.

You born after the 1st Star Wars came out? I know a few people who until the recent releases of Star Wars never heard of it.
Oh hell no. I’m old. I think the first one was when I fell asleep in the theater. Was on a date and nervous, had two strong Long Islands before and that’s all she wrote.

Reactions: sglowrider
Yep, loved it. Was not expecting that Tarantino like ending.

Ther cynicism really is a reflection of the political cynism thats going on there, class divide etc.

Did you watch Train to Busan? Was never into zombie movies and still aint -- but somehow that movie was a hit.

Last edited:
Gag. Take your pills.

Well, homelessness is overwhelming many of our best cities, drug overdoses are killing 70,000 people a year, the Southern boarder is a mess, GI’s are maimed and dying in Afghanistan for no reason, and infrastructure crumbles all at the hands of the deep state unaccountable bureaucrats while congress yammers about RESIST and conspires about impeachment strategy and counter strategy. I think parasite is an apt description for congress. It sucks political power and is killing the host.

Reactions: 76-1 and sluggo69
BEST PICTURE NOMINEES

FORD V FERRARI
Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping and James Mangold, Producers

THE IRISHMAN
Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers

JOJO RABBIT
Carthew Neal and Taika Waititi, Producers

JOKER
Todd Phillips, Bradley Cooper and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers

LITTLE WOMEN
Amy Pascal, Producer

MARRIAGE STORY
Noah Baumbach and David Heyman, Producers

Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren and Callum McDougall, Producers

ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD
David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh and Quentin Tarantino, Producers

PARASITE
Kwak Sin Ae and Bong Joon Ho, Producers

Does anyone read Stephen King? I think he is so underrated as a writer. I used his book On Writing in my classroom. I just finished his latest, The Institute. Not one of my favorites, but still very compelling and a quick read for a long book. I needed something that I could immediately get into and easy to pick up and put down since I was working 16 hour days with short breaks in between for about a week. ( The glories of sorority rush). He is just a true genius about putting out a story that can get you involved in the very first chapter. Some books that I love take me 100 pages or so to get into. When I’m on a plane, or need something to grab me from page one, he never lets me down. The other thing about him is that so many prolific authors get lazy after awhile and just put out trash, but he comes up with innovative stories time and time again. I know he’s never going to be considered for a Pulitzer, but the man knows how to tell a story.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Well, homelessness is overwhelming many of our best cities, drug overdoses are killing 70,000 people a year, the Southern boarder is a mess, GI’s are maimed and dying in Afghanistan for no reason, and infrastructure crumbles all at the hands of the deep state unaccountable bureaucrats while congress yammers about RESIST and conspires about impeachment strategy and counter strategy. I think parasite is an apt description for congress. It sucks political power and is killing the host.
So what are you saying, counselor? We should remove the Legislative branch?

BEST PICTURE NOMINEES

FORD V FERRARI
Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping and James Mangold, Producers

THE IRISHMAN
Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers

JOJO RABBIT
Carthew Neal and Taika Waititi, Producers

JOKER
Todd Phillips, Bradley Cooper and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers

LITTLE WOMEN
Amy Pascal, Producer

MARRIAGE STORY
Noah Baumbach and David Heyman, Producers

Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren and Callum McDougall, Producers

ONCE UPON A TIME...IN HOLLYWOOD
David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh and Quentin Tarantino, Producers

PARASITE
Kwak Sin Ae and Bong Joon Ho, Producers

I hate the expanded Best Picture nominees lists. IMHO, there's really only 3 movies that really merit it and a 4th maybe as the people's choice award entry.

I hate the expanded Best Picture nominees lists. IMHO, there's really only 3 movies that really merit it and a 4th maybe as the people's choice award entry.

Which 3? In past years we tried to see all the nominees, this year I have seen none.

Which 3? In past years we tried to see all the nominees, this year I have seen none.

Can't wait to hear what you think of 1917. And I'd love to hear what other people think of the nominees before giving my favs. I have really strong biases and I'm always fascinated by the way opinions differ on this kind of stuff. Anybody else want to weigh in on their favorites among the nominees or those slighted?

I liked Ford V Ferrari but its ridiculous its even up for nomination. Its very formulated.

Besides its a sad sign of the times when the David v Goliath and we are cheering on Goliath to win and celebrating it. Cynical ol' me wonder if the flag has anything to do with it.

I think the Golden Globes are a better indicator of movie quality nowadays.

Reactions: hoosboot
I’ve seen all but Ford vs Ferrari and 1917. Seeing it tomorrow. Had little interest in F vs F. I suppose I’ll try to see it before awards now. I’ll comment on all of them after tomorrow. Also really surprised Uncut Gems didn’t make it.

I liked Ford V Ferrari but its ridiculous its even up for nomination. Its very formulated.

Besides its a sad sign of the times when the David v Goliath and we are cheering on Goliath to win and celebrating it. Cynical ol' me wonder if the flag has anything to do with it.

I think the Golden Globes are a better indicator of movie quality nowadays.

Liked everything you said except the part about the Golden Globes. Those are a joke, my dude.

Can't wait to hear what you think of 1917. And I'd love to hear what other people think of the nominees before giving my favs. I have really strong biases and I'm always fascinated by the way opinions differ on this kind of stuff. Anybody else want to weigh in on their favorites among the nominees or those slighted?

I saw 2 movies this weekend. First was Little Women which I thought was outstanding. Well written and acted. A sort of old school movie, there was not 5 minutes of animators in the credits.

I also thought 1917 was excellent. I was concerned about the Saving Private Ryan plot. WW1 was a war on a massive scale, I did not think the story of 2 friends trying to stop an attack could capture WW1. It turned out the movie did not remind me of SPR, or Gallipoli. Instead, Apocalypse Now came to mind, especially in the town.

1917 captured WW1 largely through brilliant cinematography. It should win that category. The no edit gimmick worked, but really does not make a huge difference to the movie. It is more something film scholars can debate.it is impressive though, reshoots had to be murder.

Paths of Glory remains my favorite WW1 movie, but this slides ahead of Gallipoli into 2nd.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
I saw 2 movies this weekend. First was Little Women which I thought was outstanding. Well written and acted. A sort of old school movie, there was not 5 minutes of animators in the credits.

I also thought 1917 was excellent. I was concerned about the Saving Private Ryan plot. WW1 was a war on a massive scale, I did not think the story of 2 friends trying to stop an attack could capture WW1. It turned out the movie did not remind me of SPR, or Gallipoli. Instead, Apocalypse Now came to mind, especially in the town.

1917 captured WW1 largely through brilliant cinematography. It should win that category. The no edit gimmick worked, but really does not make a huge difference to the movie. It is more something film scholars can debate.it is impressive though, reshoots had to be murder.

Paths of Glory remains my favorite WW1 movie, but this slides ahead of Gallipoli into 2nd.

I just saw 1917 this afternoon. Powerful and intense filmmaking. Well worth the Oscar
Nominations.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

We watched Joyeux Noël over the holidays. A docudrama about the WWI Christmas cease fire. Very well done also. The commanders obviously didn’t approve. All troops involved on both sides were transferred to different sectors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT