ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Any fans of What We Do in the Shadows on FX? It's co-written and co-directed by Jermaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords), and is seriously funny.

I haven't watched the series but I watched the movie. Absolutely hilarious. Plan on watching the series sometime soon. Loved Flight of the Conchords too. Have you watched Summer Heights High? It was on HBO and out of New Zealand.

Reactions: glmiu11
No. Tried to watch, but not my cup of tea
It’s worth the time you have to put in. Some great shows start out good and end poorly. This is the opposite. I can remember telling my wife “ok, one more and I quit”. Just like you said.
The end of the first season is great. The next two seasons are better. The last few episodes of the last season are classic. It’s a must watch.
Also, Succession. Something tells me you’ve watched that one.
I’m just bringing these up because you said Perry Mason was best since Boardwalk. I need to watch all of that, but there is some room for argument here...GOT, first two seasons of Westworld. I’m sure there’s more.
I’m gonna watch Boardwalk empire again and more.
You’re missing out on The Leftovers. I’m telling ya

Reactions: Noodle
It’s worth the time you have to put in. Some great shows start out good and end poorly. This is the opposite. I can remember telling my wife “ok, one more and I quit”. Just like you said.
The end of the first season is great. The next two seasons are better. The last few episodes of the last season are classic. It’s a must watch.
Also, Succession. Something tells me you’ve watched that one.
I’m just bringing these up because you said Perry Mason was best since Boardwalk. I need to watch all of that, but there is some room for argument here...GOT, first two seasons of Westworld. I’m sure there’s more.
I’m gonna watch Boardwalk empire again and more.
You’re missing out on The Leftovers. I’m telling ya
Yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit by saying best since Boardwalk Empire. Loved GOT. I will give Succession and The Leftovers a shot. One thing about Boardwalk Empire is that I thought the first season was just OK. But I loved it after that.

I haven't watched the series but I watched the movie. Absolutely hilarious. Plan on watching the series sometime soon. Loved Flight of the Conchords too. Have you watched Summer Heights High? It was on HBO and out of New Zealand.

LOL yes, I watched Summer Heights High. I liked it but that’s a show someone will likely either love or despise. Kind of like Eastbound and Down or Vice Principals.

Yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit by saying best since Boardwalk Empire. Loved GOT. I will give Succession and The Leftovers a shot. One thing about Boardwalk Empire is that I thought the first season was just OK. But I loved it after that.
Oh sh-t
I never would have guessed you hadn’t seen succession. Watch that NOW
Yep. First season of Boardwalk put me to sleep

Any fans of What We Do in the Shadows on FX? It's co-written and co-directed by Jermaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords), and is seriously funny.
I've only seen the first couple of episodes, but I had the opportunity to watch the original film just a few nights ago. I thought it was brilliant.

Perry Mason is outstanding television. Best HBO series since Boardwalk Empire. Perfect for TV and will have a long run. Just perfect.
I'm still one week behind, but I just watched chapters 4 and 5 tonight, and they were freaking awesome. When this show started, I was excited, but also a little unsure if they were going to mess up the Perry Mason mythos too much. But I love the way they turned him into a lawyer. It moves the narrative towards where we all wanted it to be, but it also stays honest to the character they've created so far.

Reactions: glmiu11 and Noodle
I'm still one week behind, but I just watched chapters 4 and 5 tonight, and they were freaking awesome. When this show started, I was excited, but also a little unsure if they were going to mess up the Perry Mason mythos too much. But I love the way they turned him into a lawyer. It moves the narrative towards where we all wanted it to be, but it also stays honest to the character they've created so far.
Chapter 6 is the best yet. It’s going to end big.
I do think the intro of Hamilton Burger was a bit strange. Creative though.

Chapter 6 is the best yet. It’s going to end big.
I do think the intro of Hamilton Burger was a bit strange. Creative though.
So is this available on anything besides HBO? Anything like Hulu or Prime?

So is this available on anything besides HBO? Anything like Hulu or Prime?
No. It's a current HBO series. I don't think HBO ever puts it current shows on another platform. You'll probably have to wait at least a year, if not more, before it makes its way to one of those.

No. It's a current HBO series. I don't think HBO ever puts it current shows on another platform. You'll probably have to wait at least a year, if not more, before it makes its way to one of those.

And Roku and Fire still refuse to carry HBO Max which is annoying me greatly.

Bummer.

SWMBO is in control of the main TV and the streaming. I'm pretty sure we watched GoT on Prime just a few days after it came out on HBO. BICBW. She may have subbed to HBO and hid it from me. She's sneaky that way.

Bummer.

SWMBO is in control of the main TV and the streaming. I'm pretty sure we watched GoT on Prime just a few days after it came out on HBO. BICBW. She may have subbed to HBO and hid it from me. She's sneaky that way.
Yeah, I think she hid it from you. You cannot even watch Season 1 of GoT on Prime without paying extra for it (either per episode or per season).

Yeah, I think she hid it from you. You cannot even watch Season 1 of GoT on Prime without paying extra for it (either per episode or per season).
Hmmm.... she's gonna have some 'splainin' to do.

Last edited:
Are you caught up? Episode 7 was phenomenal. I cannot wait until the finale.

Reactions: Circlejoe
JoJo Rabbit. Finally watched it. Incredible film. Cinematography is gorgeous. It’s like a mashup of Wes Anderson and Roberto Benigni. It’s just perfect, especially the last scene (which includes one of my favorite songs of all time). Cannot believe it didn’t win the Oscar for best picture.

Last edited:
JoJo Rabbit. Finally watched it. Incredible film. Cinematography is gorgeous. It’s like a mashup of Wes Anderson and Roberto Benigni. It’s just perfect, especially the last scene (which includes one of my favorite songs of all time). Cannot believe it didn’t win the Oscar for best picture.
I loved that one too. So original. I thought last year was one of the best years ever for movies.

Reactions: Noodle
So we're three episode into Killing Eve. Wife seems to like it, but it's a bit over the top to me. Does it get any better?

Perry Mason

Well done
I watched episode 7 tonight, but I was too late to start the finale at midnight on HBO West, so I'm waiting for the replay at 1 am. Very much looking forward to it. This show has been on an upward trajectory since week one.

@Marvin the Martian I need a new show after this one, and am willing to do the one-month subscription to binge one. Was Picard worth it?

I watched episode 7 tonight, but I was too late to start the finale at midnight on HBO West, so I'm waiting for the replay at 1 am. Very much looking forward to it. This show has been on an upward trajectory since week one.

@Marvin the Martian I need a new show after this one, and am willing to do the one-month subscription to binge one. Was Picard worth it?

I loved Picard, I thought it was the best Trek since, well, the original. Below Decks has started so I need to work CBS back in. That is an animated ST comedy. Frankly, sound like Orville.

While waiting on Roku and HBO to end their circle firing squad I got Apple TV. It violates everything I believe in to give a penny to Apple, but they have Greyhound. I have not seen it yet, but we started The Morning Show. I never would have imagined liking anything with Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carell, but so it is really good.

Perry Mason

Well done

I was let down with the P.M finale. I was looking for a withering cross of the cop and it never came. Instead the writers gave us a literary closing argument, most of which was objectionable. I thought Matthew Rhys was terrific. I loved his evolving relationship with Della Street and the strength of her character. Reminded me of 35+ years with my partner.

Best of all was the closing theme song from 50 years ago. Looking forward to next season.

Last edited:
Anybody into Marcella? A Typical British detective series with dysfunctional people, complicated plots, and twists. It’s worth a look, season 3 was released in June, that’s our next binge project.

I just finished an audio book Brain Maker. CO and I used to discuss how the brain repairs itself, I find brain science interesting. This is more how the microbiome in the gut influences the brain but is part of brain science. Te author, Dr Perlmutter, is a practicing neurologist.

First, there are some indications that our gut bacteria does influence our brains. But this book carries that way beyond where the science is. Dr Perlmutter had a bad habit of saying things like, "I frequently treat Alzheimer's patients with an out of balance gut microbiome" or "correlation does not equal causation but I have no doubt when more studies are done we will discover that ...". Neither had any scientific validity.

It is clear the dr has decided the microbiome is the solution to many cognitive problems as well as diabetes and obesity. He is unwilling to actually wait on on the science to prove it. And sadly for him, the studies that have been done since the book was written in 2014 are not showing probiotics, prebiotics, and fecal transplant to be silver bullets.

One other problem he runs into is that there are numerous strains of many of his touted gut bacteria. He tells the reader/listener that it is important to make sure your probiotic contains bacillus whateverus (he has several he recommends). When one Googles bacillus whateverus, one discovers there are a couple hundred strains of it. Just like there are many strains of Coronavirus, but only one causes the problems we see today. Taking the wrong strains probably provides no benefit (though again research would be needed), and there isn't good research on what strains are the key ones.

There are some studies that do show a correlation between gut biomes and various conditions. We don't know what triggers the correlation, but it is certainly possible the gut biome comes first and triggers the condition. It is also certainly possible it goes the other way. And it is possible a 3rd factor triggers both. And it just might be statistical noise.

Some of the ideas he presents are worth scientists continuing to look into. Some, his total hatred of grain for example, appear problematic. Others may yet prove an important step for health. But given the way he totally oversteps his science I am very skeptical he is anything more than the Sham Wow spokesman with a degree.

I just finished an audio book Brain Maker. CO and I used to discuss how the brain repairs itself, I find brain science interesting. This is more how the microbiome in the gut influences the brain but is part of brain science. Te author, Dr Perlmutter, is a practicing neurologist.

First, there are some indications that our gut bacteria does influence our brains. But this book carries that way beyond where the science is. Dr Perlmutter had a bad habit of saying things like, "I frequently treat Alzheimer's patients with an out of balance gut microbiome" or "correlation does not equal causation but I have no doubt when more studies are done we will discover that ...". Neither had any scientific validity.

It is clear the dr has decided the microbiome is the solution to many cognitive problems as well as diabetes and obesity. He is unwilling to actually wait on on the science to prove it. And sadly for him, the studies that have been done since the book was written in 2014 are not showing probiotics, prebiotics, and fecal transplant to be silver bullets.

One other problem he runs into is that there are numerous strains of many of his touted gut bacteria. He tells the reader/listener that it is important to make sure your probiotic contains bacillus whateverus (he has several he recommends). When one Googles bacillus whateverus, one discovers there are a couple hundred strains of it. Just like there are many strains of Coronavirus, but only one causes the problems we see today. Taking the wrong strains probably provides no benefit (though again research would be needed), and there isn't good research on what strains are the key ones.

There are some studies that do show a correlation between gut biomes and various conditions. We don't know what triggers the correlation, but it is certainly possible the gut biome comes first and triggers the condition. It is also certainly possible it goes the other way. And it is possible a 3rd factor triggers both. And it just might be statistical noise.

Some of the ideas he presents are worth scientists continuing to look into. Some, his total hatred of grain for example, appear problematic. Others may yet prove an important step for health. But given the way he totally oversteps his science I am very skeptical he is anything more than the Sham Wow spokesman with a degree.

Ive read similar stuff in different books. But mostly that had to do with triggering cravings and even addictions. I think all of the brain stuff is fascinating as hell

Speaking of Sham Wow. . .

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Anybody into Marcella? A Typical British detective series with dysfunctional people, complicated plots, and twists. It’s worth a look, season 3 was released in June, that’s our next binge project.
Yes. We watched it all some time back. Good stuff. SWMBO loves Brit police procedurals, and this was a good one. The ending left it open to another season, but who knows if that will happen with the pandemic.

We watched another one called Line of Duty that was good stuff too.

Ive read similar stuff in different books. But mostly that had to do with triggering cravings and even addictions. I think all of the brain stuff is fascinating as hell

Speaking of Sham Wow. . .

He does touch on cravings, but only a little.

Some of his studies involve both c sections and antibiotic use in children. He is convinced both are issues for obesity as they damage the good bacteria. He believes the biggest reason the west has far more obesity than 3rd world is the overuse of antibiotics. On that I also found his studies lacking. But in Mythbusters parlance, it might be plausible.

He does touch on cravings, but only a little.

Some of his studies involve both c sections and antibiotic use in children. He is convinced both are issues for obesity as they damage the good bacteria. He believes the biggest reason the west has far more obesity than 3rd world is the overuse of antibiotics. On that I also found his studies lacking. But in Mythbusters parlance, it might be plausible.

What does he say about the brain/gut connection and hormones? I’ve come to believe that hormonal changes are among the most significant causes in the number of ways our bodies change over time.

WGN America is currently doing the entire Back to the Future trilogy. It's easy to forget just how extraordinarily good these films were. Part II is one of the classic American film sequels.

Peacock tv is a nice new addition and for the most part it's free. I watched a couple of Hitchcock movies with very limited commercial interruption and started watching Yellowstone too. The earlier news broadcasts, etc. are also available.

It would appear with the success of Netflix and Amazon Prime the major networks are figuring out how to fight back.

Peacock tv is a nice new addition and for the most part it's free. I watched a couple of Hitchcock movies with very limited commercial interruption and started watching Yellowstone too. The earlier news broadcasts, etc. are also available.

It would appear with the success of Netflix and Amazon Prime the major networks are figuring out how to fight back.
I’m two seasons into Yellowstone. I like it enough to keep watching, but it’s not believable at moments and super corny.
There’s some terrible acting at times also.

I’m two seasons into Yellowstone. I like it enough to keep watching, but it’s not believable at moments and super corny.
There’s some terrible acting at times also.
Thanks for the review on Yellowstone. My cousins all seem to love it but I've never been a fan of Kevin Costner so I may stop after the 1st episode but nonetheless I really like Peacock and how it works. Vertigo was at least Blu Ray quality if not 4k. Sight and Sound named Vertigo as the greatest movie of all time in 2012 supplanting Citizen Kane as its choice as the greatest. Vertigo is not my favorite Hitchcock film but it is pretty unforgettable due to its beauty (SF is one gorgeous city especially in the late 1950's-Kim Novak is fabulous, too) and the strange script upon which it is based.

Thanks for the review on Yellowstone. My cousins all seem to love it but I've never been a fan of Kevin Costner so I may stop after the 1st episode but nonetheless I really like Peacock and how it works. Vertigo was at least Blu Ray quality if not 4k. Sight and Sound named Vertigo as the greatest movie of all time in 2012 supplanting Citizen Kane as its choice as the greatest. Vertigo is not my favorite Hitchcock film but it is pretty unforgettable due to its beauty (SF is one gorgeous city especially in the late 1950's-Kim Novak is fabulous, too) and the strange script upon which it is based.
What’s your favorite Hitchcock movie?

I took a class on Hitchcock at IU. Every Tuesday night we watched at Woodburn with popcorn and snacks. So fun! My favorite is Strangers on a Train.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT