ADVERTISEMENT

Mourhino sacked

I can't recall who the Chelski fans are here, but I wonder if you give this a Facebook Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Bump!
th

I can't recall who the Chelski fans are here, but I wonder if you give this a Facebook Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?
Yeah, I'm not big on this (although admittedly, I'm not a Chelsea diehard). They aren't replacing him with Pep, and I doubt they'd be able to swing Simeone at Atleti (who is rumored as the candidate they're going for at the end of the year). Their personnel doesn't match with his style as much as you'd like, either - he needs guys who can really run.

I do think there was a disconnect between Mou and some of the players, but I'm not sure what a firing here will accomplish. He's one of the strongest tactical planners in the Premiership, even if he's an ass.

The major issues this year were hanging on to aging talent (Ivanovic and Terry) and Courtois' injury. They weren't winning games 4-0 last year, either (except against Arsenal) -- they've just been leaky in the back. Begovic is a quality keeper, but he's not Courtois -- a guy who makes a good backline look absolutely impenetrable.

Yeah, I'm not big on this (although admittedly, I'm not a Chelsea diehard). They aren't replacing him with Pep, and I doubt they'd be able to swing Simeone at Atleti (who is rumored as the candidate they're going for at the end of the year). Their personnel doesn't match with his style as much as you'd like, either - he needs guys who can really run.

I do think there was a disconnect between Mou and some of the players, but I'm not sure what a firing here will accomplish. He's one of the strongest tactical planners in the Premiership, even if he's an ass.

The major issues this year were hanging on to aging talent (Ivanovic and Terry) and Courtois' injury. They weren't winning games 4-0 last year, either (except against Arsenal) -- they've just been leaky in the back. Begovic is a quality keeper, but he's not Courtois -- a guy who makes a good backline look absolutely impenetrable.

Seemed to me he'd lost his team completely and there's no coming back from that.

Seemed to me he'd lost his team completely and there's no coming back from that.
Yeah, that's possible. This is a lost year, so it's not the worst thing that can happen. Coaches are hired to be fired, so I don't feel sorry for Mou -- he'll land on his feet.

I just don't know what Chelsea expects here. They're high profile, but they're not high profile enough to land a more skilled manager than Mourinho. Like I said, I'm not sure that Simeone at Atleti is all that realistic, even if I do think he'd be a home-run hire.

Edit: That being said, the way he's handled himself this year has been very, very poor. Blaming the ballboys at Leicester? The way he handled the Eva Carneiro situation? Poor, all around.

So this isn't surprising. I just don't know if it's going to improve the direction of the club, at least in the short term. It's a lost year, and with no Champions League next year, next year will be, too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT