ADVERTISEMENT

Most important game in the history of IUBB

Yea... that piece of crap you left on the freebie is so dumb, i cant bother with it...

You should tell the freebie you don't even watch most of the games. But you're a really cool parrot.

It's moving off point like I thought it might. Even picked up the Bob Knight v. Tom Crean angle.

Mine on the free board appears to be going strong. I haven't posted on there in so long that no one knows me.

If only CTC would pack his bags and bolt to Pitt. Of course, Pitt might be a bit surprised when he showed up, what since I can't fathom that they'd have any interest in him whatsoever.

If only CTC would pack his bags and bolt to Pitt. Of course, Pitt might be a bit surprised when he showed up, what since I can't fathom that they'd have any interest in him whatsoever.

Actually, I can factually confirm you're exactly right.

One of my best buds, someone that I met on day 1 of college in Bloomington as Frosh together back in 1998, is currently the associate athletic director at Pitt.

Within 30 seconds of hearing about Jamie Dixon's departure I called him begging for him to do whatever it takes to "steal" Tom Crean away from Indiana.

He laughed at me and basically said that if he were to throw Tom Crean's name into the mix as a potential replacement for Dixon, not only would he get laughed out of the room, he'd also likely get demoted and Pitt would cease grooming as a future head athletic director.

And not because Pitt doesn't think they'd have a shot at Crean. That's irrelevant. It's because the Pitt athletic department doesn't think much of Crean as a coach, nor do they regard him as someone they care to get to know and work with on an intimate level, and on daily basis, no less.

Not that this was news to me, as I've bitched and moaned to him about Crean dozens and dozens of times, literally every time we speak or correspond in any way.

Needless to say, Crean isn't very respected by his peers and he has a reputation in a lot of collegiate administrative circles that, by and large, see him as a general ass-hat.

My friend assured me that Pitt has no interest, nor do they have any intentions of even considering Crean for their recently vacated head coaching position. He put it best when he said "If Tom Crean has any interest in becoming the next head basketball coach at the University of Pittsburgh, just know the feelings aren't exactly mutual."

So yes, you're absolutely right, Pitt wants no part of him. None whatsoever.

SIDE NOTE: He likes Fred Glass on a personal level, but agrees that there are several components of the Athletic Director position in which Glass doesn't seem very adept at, and that's mostly due to not having any collegiate administrative experience prior to being hired to the AD position at IU.

No surprise there. I think most of us already figured as such.

One of my best buds, someone that I met on day 1 of college in Bloomington as Frosh together back in 1998, is currently the associate athletic director at Pitt.

Within 30 seconds of hearing about Jamie Dixon's departure I called him begging for him to do whatever it takes to "steal" Tom Crean away from Indiana.

He laughed at me and basically said that if he were to throw Tom Crean's name into the mix as a potential replacement for Dixon, not only would he get laughed out of the room, he'd also likely get demoted and Pitt would cease grooming as a future head athletic director.

And not because Pitt doesn't think they'd have a shot at Crean. That's irrelevant. It's because the Pitt athletic department doesn't think much of Crean as a coach, nor do they regard him as someone they care to get to know and work with on an intimate level, and on daily basis, no less.

Not that this was news to me, as I've bitched and moaned to him about Crean dozens and dozens of times, literally every time we speak or correspond in any way.

Needless to say, Crean isn't very respected by his peers and he has a reputation in a lot of collegiate administrative circles that, by and large, see him as a general ass-hat.

My friend assured me that Pitt has no interest, nor do they have any intentions of even considering Crean for their recently vacated head coaching position. He put it best when he said "If Tom Crean has any interest in becoming the next head basketball coach at the University of Pittsburgh, just know the feelings aren't exactly mutual."

SIDE NOTE: He likes Fred Glass on a personal level, but agrees that there are several components of the Athletic Director position in which Glass doesn't seem very adept at, and that's mostly due to not having any collegiate administrative experience prior to being hired to the AD position at IU.

utf81xd.jpg

Yea... that piece of crap you left on the freebie is so dumb, i cant bother with it...

You should tell the freebie you don't even watch most of the games. But you're a really cool parrot.

It's obvious you're in a bad mood. Smoke a bowl and listen to this....

For what it's worth this is all moot. Crean and his basketball weirdoisms will be back next year, so we get to do this stupid shit all over again.

That is depressing on so many different levels that it actually makes me sick to my stomach.

Wonderful.

In year three I said he was all hat and no cattle. He is now, and always has been, a salesman.

In year three when I was going crazy, even crazier than C money about firing Crean and going after Stevens (fresh off his second effing national title appearance when the planets aligned so perfectly for us) I was surrounded by morons telling me it was too early, Crean needs to get his type of player (which is an assinine excuse, basically admitting that he must not be able to make the sum of the parts greater than the whole) and that we had the frikken movement coming...you very calmly and profoundly said the following like a voice from the basketball gods.

The enemy of great is not awful...it's good.

That is exactly why I've turned to the dark side because he's not going ANYWHERE unless it's a complete dumpster fire.

The arrests didn't do it (he's part of the solution).

The two horrible lower division finishes didn't do it.

So yeah, a season like this was fun and entertaining as a stand alone season...but it's the same impact as Davis going to the Natty game.

I'm getting to the point that I've just accepted it and hope that Crean keeps deminishing the things that annoy the f out of me and becomes Mike Brey who's not an elite coach but he's a good, solid coach.

That is depressing on so many different levels that it actually makes me sick to my stomach.

Wonderful.

I do have some prospective good news along those that'll hopefully cheer you up. At least this does for me in the times I begin to feel depressed thinking it's actually possible that Tom Crean's tenure at Indiana could conceivably outlast my time on this Earth even though I'm only a relatively young 36 years old.

Earlier this season, not long after the Duke debacle, I began what turned out to be several lengthy text message exchanges spanning over a couple months time with my dear friend, the associate AD at Pitt, in regards to Tom Crean and Fred Glass.

I was looking to get an administrator's insider's perspective on a potential current and/or upcoming situation where there's a ton of heat coming from the masses for a school to make a change at one of the most high-profile head coaching positions in it's most preeminent sport, when the athetic director of said institution seemingly has an inexplicable love-affair with said head coach and seems relucant to make a change in spite of an utter lack of results and in spite of increasingly intensified pressure from its fan base.

Anyhow, I just scrolled through my text message exchanges with him and located the partcular thing he said which stood out to me, and in which I continue to take solace in today when I begin to feel blue about having such tremendous incompetencey in what would be considered the two most critically key positions regarding the current and future state of the beloved, historic basketball program of my alma matter

Here's what he said, verbatim, in summation of these particular lengthy exchanges regarding this manner. This was from 1:54 pm cst on January 5th, roughly 4 hours prior to playing Wisconsin in Bloomington that night (an eventual 1 point IU win). IU was 2-0 in conference play and 13-3 overall heading into that game, for whatever it's worth.

"Friends or not, an AD always saves his own ass before a head coach. I don't care even if Glass and Crean stood at each other's weddings. I know Fred. Bottom line is that if the posse gets big enough he will do what he has to do whether he likes it or not. Otherwise the AD will be removed. But in Fred's case I highly doubt it'll come to that. Trust me, Glass will get rid of Crean if push comes to shove. He just might need a bigger push then you'd personally like it to take before it becomes a shove"

Now, his take might not have me exactly jumping for joy, but I can honestly say it helps me sleep at least a little bit better at night.

Reactions: mike41703

Fred Glass is a cheerleader. He's the type of schmoozing guy who calls people "friend" or "buddy" because he can't remember names. Guy doesn't have much substance. He's rather unremarkable.

Reactions: C-$
Fred Glass is a cheerleader. He's the type of schmoozing guy who calls people "friend" or "buddy" because he can't remember names. Guy doesn't have much substance. He's rather unremarkable.

I don't disagree with you at all. Believe me when I say I can't stand Fred Glass just as much as the next guy. I don't think Fred Glass is a clown. On the contrary, I think he's an epically huge clown, one that sports a big red shiny pulsating nose and super-extra long Bozo-like shoes, with a high pitiched suicide-inducing cackling laugh, and who comes equipped with an obnoxiously loud squeeky horn that he carries around with him everywhere he goes and that he's all too-quick to squeeze (i.e his Pinstripe Bowl Press Conference "introduction" of Kevin Wilson).

Clearly, I very strongly have the same sense as you have regarding Glass, albeit without having any personal dealings or any personal encounters with the man.

I was simply just referencing things in terms of whether or not Gass would be willing and able to cut ties with Crean at any point in time over the short and/or long term.

And specifically, I was passing along the opinion/take of someone whom I'm very close with that not only shares the same professional line of work with Glass, but someone who also happens to have a multitude of hours extended over a several year time frame of mostly professional but also some personal face-to-face dealings with the man.

It really doesn't mean anything at all, as it's just one man's speculative opinion of a potential future hypothetical situation, but his take on the manner unquestionably carries more value than my own, or at least more so than anyone else that I personally know and/or even have access to.

And as I mentioned in my post, my friend's expressed opionion doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy, but at least it's something....hell, anything of the encouraging variety for those of us that want to hold a glimmer of hope that Mr. Woefully unqualified as an AD, better suited as a world-class clown (Fred Glass) would maybe one day potentially actually fire Mr. Douchey "I'm gonna make sure a walk-on gets minutes in a regional semifinal against #1 seed juggernaut, North Carolina" McClaps-A-Lot (aka Tom Crean).

Last edited:
I do have some prospective good news along those that'll hopefully cheer you up. At least this does for me in the times I begin to feel depressed thinking it's actually possible that Tom Crean's tenure at Indiana could conceivably outlast my time on this Earth even though I'm only a relatively young 36 years old.

Earlier this season, not long after the Duke debacle, I began what turned out to be several lengthy text message exchanges spanning over a couple months time with my dear friend, the associate AD at Pitt, in regards to Tom Crean and Fred Glass.

I was looking to get an administrator's insider's perspective on a potential current and/or upcoming situation where there's a ton of heat coming from the masses for a school to make a change at one of the most high-profile head coaching positions in it's most preeminent sport, when the athetic director of said institution seemingly has an inexplicable love-affair with said head coach and seems relucant to make a change in spite of an utter lack of results and in spite of increasingly intensified pressure from its fan base.

Anyhow, I just scrolled through my text message exchanges with him and located the partcular thing he said which stood out to me, and in which I continue to take solace in today when I begin to feel blue about having such tremendous incompetencey in what would be considered the two most critically key positions regarding the current and future state of the beloved, historic basketball program of my alma matter

Here's what he said, verbatim, in summation of these particular lengthy exchanges regarding this manner. This was from 1:54 pm cst on January 5th, roughly 4 hours prior to playing Wisconsin in Bloomington that night (an eventual 1 point IU win). IU was 2-0 in conference play and 13-3 overall heading into that game, for whatever it's worth.

"Friends or not, an AD always saves his own ass before a head coach. I don't care even if Glass and Crean stood at each other's weddings. I know Fred. Bottom line is that if the posse gets big enough he will do what he has to do whether he likes it or not. Otherwise the AD will be removed. But in Fred's case I highly doubt it'll come to that. Trust me, Glass will get rid of Crean if push comes to shove. He just might need a bigger push then you'd personally like it to take before it becomes a shove"

Now, his take might not have me exactly jumping for joy, but I can honestly say it helps me sleep at least a little bit better at night.

Yeah, but I doubt the posse is screaming too loudly now. Big Ten title, beating UK, Sweet 16...I'd bet there isn't much chatter from the people who matter.

I hate how excited some people have gotten over a sweet sixteen. Shouldn't sweet sixteens be expected?

A Sweet 16 is the Big Middle. With a decent seed it's not that hard to get there, you really only need to win one significant game. But getting there is job security. You'd probably be hard pressed to find many coaches fired the same season they got their teams to a Sweet 16.

I don't disagree with you at all. Believe me when I say I can't stand Fred Glass just as much as the next guy. I don't think Fred Glass is a clown. On the contrary, I think he's an epically huge clown, one that sports a big red shiny pulsating nose and super-extra long Bozo-like shoes, with a high pitiched suicide-inducing cackling laugh, and who comes equipped with an obnoxiously loud squeeky horn that he carries around with him everywhere he goes and that he's all too-quick to squeeze (i.e his Pinstripe Bowl Press Conference "introduction" of Kevin Wilson).

Clearly, I very strongly have the same sense as you have regarding Glass, albeit without having any personal dealings or any personal encounters with the man.

I was simply just referencing things in terms of whether or not Gass would be willing and able to cut ties with Crean at any point in time over the short and/or long term.

And specifically, I was passing along the opinion/take of someone whom I'm very close with that not only shares the same professional line of work with Glass, but someone who also happens to have a multitude of hours extended over a several year time frame of mostly professional but also some personal face-to-face dealings with the man.

It really doesn't mean anything at all, as it's just one man's speculative opinion of a potential future hypothetical situation, but his take on the manner unquestionably carries more value than my own, or at least more so than anyone else that I personally know and/or even have access to.

And as I mentioned in my post, my friend's expressed opionion doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy, but at least it's something....hell, anything of the encouraging variety for those of us that want to hold a glimmer of hope that Mr. Woefully unqualified as an AD, better suited as a world-class clown (Fred Glass) would maybe one day potentially actually fire Mr. Douchey "I'm gonna make sure a walk-on gets minutes in a regional semifinal against #1 seed juggernaut, North Carolina" McClaps-A-Lot (aka Tom Crean).
Thanks for the insight today. Really good posts.

That said, I don't really think Glass cares much for Crean...as you said in so many words your friend with athletic administration experience shared that Crean has a certain reputation for not being well liked.

The real problem imo is the large chunk of our fanbase that is ok with contending for a conference title every 3-4 years and making sweet 16s. Of course Glass would fire Crean to save himself...I just don't know how much pressure is being put on him to do so from fans and donors.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I doubt the posse is screaming too loudly now. Big Ten title, beating UK, Sweet 16...I'd bet there isn't much chatter from the people who matter.

No doubt. The stuff I was posting was from months ago now. That ship has sailed, for next season at least anyway. Also, I'm positive there are some influential people who currently can't stand Crean and that've wanted him gone for probably a couple years now, but just as enough momentum began to gather to force his removal, Crean gets a horseshoe furiously jammed up his ass with the Blackmon injury, as messed up as that sounds.

That, coupled with the easiest Big 10 schedule since 'Nam, a cake schedule that also happened to coincide with with it coming in season that saw weakest bottom half of B1G opponents the conference has fielded since at least...well...also Vietnam, and VIOLA here we are today, right back where we started.

Im telling you, Tom Crean has some real evil forces working behind him. I'm convinced his entire career has been made possible by some mega deal he made with the Devil way back in his teenage years. Ya know back when he was a team manager who scouted opponents for his high school basketball team.

That all said, I remain confident with Crean's coaching deficiencies, inteptitude, and general sucktitude, he'll find himself back on the hot seat at some point prior to season's end next year. He finally won't have Yogi Ferrell to bail him out as a primary ball handler next year. Maybe Troy comes back and then we can all grab a bowl of popcorn as we watch Crean insist on Troy run the team as the primary ball handler. Or Crean can just rely on one of the bevy of natural point guards that don't exist on next year's roster that he landed from the last 3 or 4 classes instead.

Which reminds me, Pitt transfer PG Josh Newkirk, according to my Pitt athletic department friend, is a borderline D-1 talent. He's not going to bring much to the table.

Oh, that also reminds me, I think Crean's recruiting results suck too. Of course that's understandable when the high school hoops coaches within the talent-rich home state of Indiana don't respect the head basketball coach of the state's flagship blue blood program, and therefore they don't do him any favors in terms of pushing their players to Crean's program. But that's only because they can see right through Crean as a basketball coach, meaning they all know he's a hack. But hey, at least they don't think Crean's a jag-off, ya know, personality wise. Oh wait, nevermind, that's right, they think that too.

That deal Crean has with the Devil HAS to be coming to an end at least relatively soon, right? I mean how much longer can Crean hold continue to fool the simpleton's into thinking he's actually a capable coach worthy of holding one of the highest, most reverred, and most enviable basketball positions not just in the state of Indiana, but in the entire country? 8 going on 9 seasons at Indiana and 17 years in-all. Beelzebub will be coming to collect on that deal one day, possibly, hopefully soon.

Unrelated Note - I didn't intend on writing even one-tenth as much as I did right here. I'm nearly certain sure I accidentally doubled up on my daily dosage of Aderal today. And what you see here, this type of rambling, tangent-laden post where I forgot what my original objective was when I began to respond....yeah this is the result. Please accept my apologies. Goddman ADD.

Im sure your friend appreciates you putting his opinion and private messages with you out there publically. It will probably do nothing but make his job easier, and easier for him to build relationships towards his next job too.

Im sure your friend appreciates you putting his opinion and private messages with you out there publically. It will probably do nothing but make his job easier, and easier for him to build relationships towards his next job too.

I'm sure that's none of your concern. Or at least it shouldn't be. More importantly, I'm also sure that it's none of his concern either.

You wanna know how I know he doesn't give one-sixteenth of one shit? Because he said to me, "Scott (that's my name), I don't give one-sixteenth of one shit if you share some of our harmless exchanges on Peegs."

You want to know how I know he doesn't care that I divulged that he doesn't care? Because he said "Oh and also, I don't care if you tell them I don't care"

You want to know why he doesn't care? Because he knows that sharing some inconsequential, harmless, non-damning information, along with a couple opinions/takes of his on complete hypotheticals to anonymous individuals on an off topic forum of an obscure message board relative to his job at the university of Pittsburgh, is one that has no bearings whatsoever in any way, shape, or form on his job, let alone it having an effect on building relationships towards his next job of all things (you're kidding me, seriously?)

But hey, thanks for looking out for me, and my friend too. And just in the nick of time as well. For had you not mentioned this I was probably about one post away from destroying his career. After all, I was just about to get into detail about how he thinks Crean's tan carries too much of an orange tint, and how he also informed me that 1995 called Crean just the other day and said it wants its shitty middle-parted butt-cut hairstyle back.

Oh wait, DAMN, I just typed that. I'm about to hit "post reply" and I have a feeling my edit button won't work, thus, I won't be able delete what I just shared. I pray this doesn't make impede his ability to build future relationships. Please don't tell anyone I shared that!

I'm sure that's none of your concern. Or at least it shouldn't be. More importantly, I'm also sure that it's none of his concern either.

You wanna know how I know he doesn't give one-sixteenth of one shit? Because he said to me, "Scott (that's my name), I don't give one-sixteenth of one shit if you share some of our harmless exchanges on Peegs."

You want to know how I know he doesn't care that I divulged that he doesn't care? Because he said "Oh and also, I don't care if you tell them I don't care"

You want to know why he doesn't care? Because he knows that sharing some inconsequential, harmless, non-damning information, along with a couple opinions/takes of his on complete hypotheticals to anonymous individuals on an off topic forum of an obscure message board relative to his job at the university of Pittsburgh, is one that has no bearings whatsoever in any way, shape, or form on his job, let alone it having an effect on building relationships towards his next job of all things (you're kidding me, seriously?)

But hey, thanks for looking out for me, and my friend too. And just in the nick of time as well. For had you not mentioned this I was probably about one post away from destroying his career. After all, I was just about to get into detail about how he thinks Crean's tan carries too much of an orange tint, and how he also informed me that 1995 called Crean just the other day and said it wants its shitty middle-parted butt-cut hairstyle back.

Oh wait, DAMN, I just typed that. I'm about to hit "post reply" and I have a feeling my edit button won't work, thus, I won't be able delete what I just shared. I pray this doesn't make impede his ability to build future relationships. Please don't tell anyone I shared that!
Geez dude - at first I thought maybe you didnt think about it - but now realize that you are just an a$$hole.
It's fun to name-drop - makes us feel important!

Reactions: Lucy01
It's obvious you're in a bad mood. Smoke a bowl and listen to this....

For what it's worth this is all moot. Crean and his basketball weirdoisms will be back next year, so we get to do this stupid shit all over again.
On a totally unrelated note, heard this week on WXRT in Chitown, that Jeff Beck is touring this summer (celebrating 50 years of recording) with Buddy Guy. That'd be a helluva show and I may hit Mrs hoosierdug up to go to one of the shows as a birthday present.

Reactions: FrankTGucker

It's not like he told you things we didn't already know.

But here's the problem:

We have too many "big money" donors that don't know shit about basketball and have no standards anymore as it relates to having a big time basketball program.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
No doubt. The stuff I was posting was from months ago now. That ship has sailed, for next season at least anyway. Also, I'm positive there are some influential people who currently can't stand Crean and that've wanted him gone for probably a couple years now, but just as enough momentum began to gather to force his removal, Crean gets a horseshoe furiously jammed up his ass with the Blackmon injury, as messed up as that sounds.

That, coupled with the easiest Big 10 schedule since 'Nam, a cake schedule that also happened to coincide with with it coming in season that saw weakest bottom half of B1G opponents the conference has fielded since at least...well...also Vietnam, and VIOLA here we are today, right back where we started.

Im telling you, Tom Crean has some real evil forces working behind him. I'm convinced his entire career has been made possible by some mega deal he made with the Devil way back in his teenage years. Ya know back when he was a team manager who scouted opponents for his high school basketball team.

That all said, I remain confident with Crean's coaching deficiencies, inteptitude, and general sucktitude, he'll find himself back on the hot seat at some point prior to season's end next year. He finally won't have Yogi Ferrell to bail him out as a primary ball handler next year. Maybe Troy comes back and then we can all grab a bowl of popcorn as we watch Crean insist on Troy run the team as the primary ball handler. Or Crean can just rely on one of the bevy of natural point guards that don't exist on next year's roster that he landed from the last 3 or 4 classes instead.

Which reminds me, Pitt transfer PG Josh Newkirk, according to my Pitt athletic department friend, is a borderline D-1 talent. He's not going to bring much to the table.

Oh, that also reminds me, I think Crean's recruiting results suck too. Of course that's understandable when the high school hoops coaches within the talent-rich home state of Indiana don't respect the head basketball coach of the state's flagship blue blood program, and therefore they don't do him any favors in terms of pushing their players to Crean's program. But that's only because they can see right through Crean as a basketball coach, meaning they all know he's a hack. But hey, at least they don't think Crean's a jag-off, ya know, personality wise. Oh wait, nevermind, that's right, they think that too.

That deal Crean has with the Devil HAS to be coming to an end at least relatively soon, right? I mean how much longer can Crean hold continue to fool the simpleton's into thinking he's actually a capable coach worthy of holding one of the highest, most reverred, and most enviable basketball positions not just in the state of Indiana, but in the entire country? 8 going on 9 seasons at Indiana and 17 years in-all. Beelzebub will be coming to collect on that deal one day, possibly, hopefully soon.

Unrelated Note - I didn't intend on writing even one-tenth as much as I did right here. I'm nearly certain sure I accidentally doubled up on my daily dosage of Aderal today. And what you see here, this type of rambling, tangent-laden post where I forgot what my original objective was when I began to respond....yeah this is the result. Please accept my apologies. Goddman ADD.

I think you're my favorite poster right now.

Go **** yourself with a pitchfork, you ****tard.

Reactions: mike41703

Geez dude - at first I thought maybe you didnt think about it - but now realize that you are just an a$$hole.
It's fun to name-drop - makes us feel important!

If your intention was to point out that maybe I hadn't thought about it, then you would've phrased it in such a manner. I dunno, perhaps something along the lines of "Hey, are you sure your friend is okay with you sharing some of your private conversations on a public forum?"

But since that wasn't actually your intention, you didn't phrase it as such. Instead, you gave a smart-ass reply. Meaning your intention was to be a schmuck, and an unsolicited schmuck, nonetheless.

Sooooo when you give a smart-ass reply in an unsolicited schmucky manner then you should expect to receive an asshole response in return. Difference is, my asshole-like response was actually solicited.

So what does this all mean? It means you have it backwards. I'm not an asshole, but on the contrary, you're a schmuck.

Oh, and before I forget, for the record, I never name dropped. It's misleading to say someone name dropped when that person didn't, well, ya know, actually drop anyone's name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT