ADVERTISEMENT

Most every other in-state school now doing this...

I understand the concept that we will most likely go with a national brand name beer who would strenuously attempt to insist on a noncompete clause in their contract when we do decide to sell the stuff..., but..., I still think if the University just stood their ground and showed some backbone in negotiations we'd be able to have the best of all worlds and have at least a three windows (1 on the E & W lower levels and 1 in the South endzone complex) selling several Indiana Craft beers...

The key to beer sales (for me at least) would be to limit the sale to any individual to a 5 beer maximum... That should be more than enough to give most folk a pleasant buzz without having to clean them and and their vomit up off the concrete...

I figure if you "need" any more than 5 you're probably dehydrated and actually need to be drinking water anyway, or you're very serious about getting totally plowed and actually need to start sobering up before attempting to drive home...

Simply sell an armband or a card (more revenue$$$!!) with punch slots on it and when one person gets 5 holes in theirs they're done...

I know they'll be work-arounds and secondary , mini-black market sales but the University probably wouldn't be on the hook for something someone did who circumvented the system and they could demonstrate having made a good faith effort in limiting individual consumption...

In my opinion, the people who are ultra-serious about getting drunk are going to find a way to do so no matter what the efforts made to keep them from it... With a mandatory limit the University protects itself and keeps from creating accidental drunks (versus those who are intentionally getting plastered).

Come on Fred... Read just one of my posts...;):D

Last edited:
A few drunk fans would probably be better than 8,000 empty seats.

This might even slow the drunks down a little... (probably not but if they're gonna drink in there anyway why not make some money off them...).

"The everybody is doing it" line of reasoning is a weak argument. The necessity of using safeguards for refreshments is revealing. The notion that alcohol sales will lead to a financial boon is reminiscent of the supposed "windfall" states would experienced upon implementation of a lottery and/or legalized gambling. The inability of grown men to do without alcohol--for three or four hours--at a public event attended by many families is pathetic.

"The everybody is doing it" line of reasoning is a weak argument. The necessity of using safeguards for refreshments is revealing. The notion that alcohol sales will lead to a financial boon is reminiscent of the supposed "windfall" states would experienced upon implementation of a lottery and/or legalized gambling. The inability of grown men to do without alcohol--for three or four hours--at a public event attended by many families is pathetic.
Dead on the money...what people will rationalize to get drunk in amazing. Cant do with out booze for 3.5 hours...ah that's tough. Watch your FB from the bar if your hooked...not around the kids.

Dead on the money...what people will rationalize to get drunk in amazing. Cant do with out booze for 3.5 hours...ah that's tough. Watch your FB from the bar if your hooked...not around the kids.
More than a few schools have been doing this for decades, including one where I’ve been a season ticket holder and frequent attendee. It’s well controlled and not something that students frequent due to both age and cost. Most importantly, I’ve never once seen a disruption anywhere in the stadium related to it.

Pro sports and alcohol use, on the other hand, is a different matter.

Amen brother and never understood why people thought having a beer made the game more enjoyable. To me people drinking around me made the sports less enjoyable and made me think twice about going to see the games in person.

The one thing about going to the NCAA tournament that I really enjoyed was that they did not sell alcohol at these games and did not have to worry about stupid drunk people.

Reactions: Sassy61
Personally, I don't care whether beer is offered or not.

I rarely drink at all anymore. If I do have a beer I prefer a local fresh craft beer.

Oh, and I hate being around drunks too...

My take on whether to sell it or not is fairly simple: even with the enhanced security people who are serious about drinking will find a way to smuggle in alcohol... short of having individual pat downs that sort of thing is really tough to stop..., soooo....,

You already have would be drunks sitting amongst you beer sales or not for starters...

Then there is the wildly optimistic possibility that some of the folk who like to fight traffic all the way to the stadium parking areas only to not actually go inside and support the Team or (almost worse) bail on them when they "Really" need the support when we're down at halftime so they can go eat and drink craft beer...; perhaps, just perhaps, with the right offering of craft beers and maybe some food offering upgrades we might just lure those people in and get them to stay...

Forgot to add that it could be a major money maker...

Last edited:

reality is, booze does bring money.

it always has, and schools have always known it always has.

the profitability of booze hasn't changed recently. the priorities of the schools are what's changed.

More than a few schools have been doing this for decades, including one where I’ve been a season ticket holder and frequent attendee. It’s well controlled and not something that students frequent due to both age and cost. Most importantly, I’ve never once seen a disruption anywhere in the stadium related to it.

Pro sports and alcohol use, on the other hand, is a different matter.
Your right in that booze has been around sports for a long time....and its still as wrong as it was from day one. And if someone has never seen booze as a problem as IU...then I suggest you go to more games. Keep amateur sports amateur and for the young. Adults always spoil it for the young players and fans...just look around.

Why justify something that is obviously a wrong...booze is bad everywhere ...even at home. It causes more harm than all the other drugs combined. Having it in amateur sports is just a cop out for people who must drink all the time. Period...

Your right in that booze has been around sports for a long time....and its still as wrong as it was from day one. And if someone has never seen booze as a problem as IU...then I suggest you go to more games. Keep amateur sports amateur and for the young. Adults always spoil it for the young players and fans...just look around.

Why justify something that is obviously a wrong...booze is bad everywhere ...even at home. It causes more harm than all the other drugs combined. Having it in amateur sports is just a cop out for people who must drink all the time. Period...
Saying it’s “wrong” is purely subjective and, though you’re entitled to your opinion, not everyone shares it. Are you supportive, as well, of making the parking lots dry? And have you voiced your dissatisfaction to the powers that be at IU and Learfield for alcohol-related advertisements that have been a part of IU sports broadcasts for decades?

This is managed well at a number of college venues and has been for years. If you’re uncomfortable, it’s probably best that you either not attend or have your seats moved to an area where you won’t witness others having a drink. Seems like a reasonable compromise if you’re willing to not insist that only your way is the proper one.

They’re going to start selling beer soon. It’s inevitable. They already sell it at MS and AH in the premium areas. You’re going to have to get over it or stay home.

Saying it’s “wrong” is purely subjective and, though you’re entitled to your opinion, not everyone shares it. Are you supportive, as well, of making the parking lots dry? And have you voiced your dissatisfaction to the powers that be at IU and Learfield for alcohol-related advertisements that have been a part of IU sports broadcasts for decades?

This is managed well at a number of college venues and has been for years. If you’re uncomfortable, it’s probably best that you either not attend or have your seats moved to an area where you won’t witness others having a drink. Seems like a reasonable compromise if you’re willing to not insist that only your way is the proper one.

Not so fast Larry!

The use of alcohol (in whatever form) begins to impair the imbiber from the first drink (see Texas A&M study, "You Booze, You Lose," 2002).

Secondly and more importantly, you also have a burden of proof! You, like the poster you critiqued, made a "truth claim"--actually more than one--the most glaring of which are "Saying it's 'wrong' is purely subjective" and "This is managed well at a number of college venues."

Both of these are unsubstantiated assertions on your part. Where is your argument? Where is your evidence?

Unfortunately, Ivegotwinners may well be right. The university's priorities have changed.

Not so fast Larry!

The use of alcohol (in whatever form) begins to impair the imbiber from the first drink (see Texas A&M study, "You Booze, You Lose," 2002).

Secondly and more importantly, you also have a burden of proof! You, like the poster you critiqued, made a "truth claim"--actually more than one--the most glaring of which are "Saying it's 'wrong' is purely subjective" and "This is managed well at a number of college venues."

Both of these are unsubstantiated assertions on your part. Where is your argument? Where is your evidence?

Unfortunately, Ivegotwinners may well be right. The university's priorities have changed.
I made no comment regarding impairment, so perhaps you’re confusing me with someone else. And I also stated that my views were based on my experiences as a frequent attendee and season ticket holder at a school where beer sales have occurred for decades, and I’ve never once witnessed an alcohol related incident there. Not one. I’ve also not seen much, if any, media reporting of fan issues related to in stadium alcohol sales at college events.

I did contrast those experiences with my attendance at pro sporting events, where I have seen alcohol use (excessive use, to be more precise) negatively impact the experience, and have come to believe (with nothing to substantiate it beyond my personal observations) that over consumption and the bad behavior that can accompany it are tied to how it’s sold. In the college venues I’ve been to, buying a beer means getting out of your seat and going to a specific part of a concession stand where the limited number of licensed vendors can sell it to you. At pro games, I can get a beer without even standing up due to the incessant aisle sales from mobile vendors. When it’s that easy to get, my hunch is people tend to consume it in greater quantities.

Hope that provides the substantiation and clarity you were seeking.

Sorry I disagree. I am in favor of selling beer & wine at games with limitations. I am also in favor of dedicating seating areas within the stadium that will be alcohol free zones. It's a revenue stream for the athletic department that is needed and maybe it will induce a few more fans inside Memorial Stadium.

They’re going to start selling beer soon. It’s inevitable. They already sell it at MS and AH in the premium areas. You’re going to have to get over it or stay home.

It is coming for sure. It really doesn't matter to me as the price is the most effective control. For me personally, I hate the fact that it will also mean the end of pass outs. Those that want to leave still will, those that want to go back in like me will need to buy a cheap nosebleed ticket to get back in.

In fact, I think I will finance some students to buy up all the leftover crap single seats from the scalpers at kickoff and sell to alumni in the white and orange lots to get back in.

Buy them in bulk for $3, sell them for $10.

Reactions: PatKline
It is coming for sure. It really doesn't matter to me as the price is the most effective control. For me personally, I hate the fact that it will also mean the end of pass outs. Those that want to leave still will, those that want to go back in like me will need to buy a cheap nosebleed ticket to get back in.

In fact, I think I will finance some students to buy up all the leftover crap single seats from the scalpers at kickoff and sell to alumni in the white and orange lots to get back in.

Buy them in bulk for $3, sell them for $10.
Security concerns are the reason pass outs have been eliminated at nearly every sporting venue except MS. Selling beer won’t be the reason they go away.

Not so fast Larry!

Last night on the CBS news there was a report that alcohol no matter how little you drink causes you harm. They use to say a glass of whine a day can help your heart but now it says it could cause harm for another organ that you need.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...low-attendance-games-colleges-turn-beer-sales

This 2016 article provides ammunition to every side of the argument (both for & against) so it's no final statement on the issue but it does bring some interesting topics to consider...

All I can say is: if we are going to do it (sell alcohol) let's hope we do it right and don't alienate more fans then we bring in ( and I'm going on record as flipping from my prior years stance "against it" to "for it" with conditions...).

I'm old man 55 ..IU is way behind times .But that's the whole state.
Needs to be done.
But in no way will it be a 5 beer limit.
You don't even get that at a wild. Out of control Ozz Festival .
It'll be more like two or three.
Now drink and be merry !

will be interesting to see how U Wash, WSU, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, handle things several yrs from now. (about the same time revenue growth tails off).

public use though is still illegal, thus why the popularity of edibles. that said, the edibles though probably create 95 plus percent of any problems, so the overwhelming majority of the still relatively few issues are all essentially self created by the catch 22 of it.

maybe MS might have been a great place for Rock and Doris to test market VIP.

Last edited:
AdolescentEarlyGalapagoshawk-max-1mb.gif
Did you say "Winers"?
:)
i think he meant winos.a little ripple will do ya.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORG
I prefer drinking at the tailgate before/after the game (and a cold one at halftime when pass outs are available). However, as 76-1 pointed out those making the decision on this better get it right to avoid running off fans who otherwise attend MS. I enjoy a good beer or two but I've also witnessed pro events where spectators have beer poured on them as others try to navigate narrow aisles or put up with an angry drunk nearby. I suppose now that I'm over 50 I'm becoming a grumpy old timer but I prefer to take my wife and grandsons to the game without having to deal with those annoyances.

Sorry I disagree. I am in favor of selling beer & wine at games with limitations. I am also in favor of dedicating seating areas within the stadium that will be alcohol free zones. It's a revenue stream for the athletic department that is needed and maybe it will induce a few more fans inside Memorial Stadium.
Look, I certainly respect your opinion. My bias isn't religious or attitude based. Its based on over 40 years of going to the stadium and dealing with drunks. It would be great to have a section for selling beer...but that doesn't keep the drinkers there at all. You do go to games? People mill about constantly and drinkers are everywhere, even when sales aren't legal there. Can you imagine what it will be like when they do? Dont have to imagine just go to Colts games. You'll see all the drunks you want. And they know how to handle them. Does IU?

It wont matter. Booze is coming to all sports venues. SO is gambling...so is more corruption and less people that care about the integrity of amateur sports. Period...

PS...maybe Im old fashioned...but what is so hard about setting good examples for the young people in general...college and younger? They do what they see...is this the ultimate lessen from fans?

Reactions: IU Scott
Last night on the CBS news there was a report that alcohol no matter how little you drink causes you harm. They use to say a glass of whine a day can help your heart but now it says it could cause harm for another organ that you need.

i think back to the top 100 parties I participated in while a student and I have to guess that “booze” was an integral part of at least half of them. Well, perhaps three-quarters. Okay it was all of them. Are you satisfied?

Reactions: IUCol
You know...its not that I have a problem with people drinking if they want to...that's their issue to deal with..its just the place. Is there no place left where alcohol cant find its way in? Do I not have the right to NOT be surrounded by obnoxious people who think they are either cool or funny or both because they've had a few beers? Rights go both ways folks...like it or not.

Amen brother and never understood why people thought having a beer made the game more enjoyable. To me people drinking around me made the sports less enjoyable and made me think twice about going to see the games in person.

The one thing about going to the NCAA tournament that I really enjoyed was that they did not sell alcohol at these games and did not have to worry about stupid drunk people.
Is it likely you don't understand having a few beers makes the game more enjoyable due to you've never done so yourself? Ever hear the adage, don't knock it, if you haven't tried it?

If other people having drinks bothers you, what in the hell do you do for fun on New Year's Eve? We get it, some of the prudes like yourself want to try and force shame on others who want to live a little, but please let adults be adults. Most who drink, aren't necessarily drunk and/or stupid as you seem to generalize. We get it, you want and expect IU fans to be a certain way. If you can't enjoy a game because of others, maybe it's time to change the focus on where the problem more than likely is. Check the mirror.

You know...its not that I have a problem with people drinking if they want to...that's their issue to deal with..its just the place. Is there no place left where alcohol cant find its way in? Do I not have the right to NOT be surrounded by obnoxious people who think they are either cool or funny or both because they've had a few beers? Rights go both ways folks...like it or not.

Well..., now you have me wavering again...

Oddly, what finally pushed me to the sell beer side (dark side?;)?) was an interaction I had with a drunken pu fan during the last Bucket game in Bloomington... - The guy was obnoxious (normal pu fan) and blasted... He had smuggled something past security and was literally getting more stumbling drunk as the game went on...

At that point, it became obvious to me that not only do I have deal with this kind of nonsense but that I should expect it (having encountered it at multiple other games (mainly with pu & O$U fans) so I figured, hell..., if that's the case, we (IU) may as well sell beer and wine, create unique zones for those who wish to partake (and seriously enforce the rule: [throw out anyone drinking outside those zones])...,drop the pass outs and hope we A) keep the fans from leaving at the half and B) bring the bulk of the serious drinkers in from the tailgates... and make some extra cash to roll into the football program..., all while filling the place...

I'm completely with you on not having the kids see it but, as far as I can tell, it's nearly impossible to avoid bizarre behavior at any large venue, rules or no rules..., alcohol for sale or not for sale...:confused::eek:

One more addendum: I haven't had season tickets since the early nineties which means most of my seat locations, while usually good ones, are next to the rest of the "great unwashed" who have other than season tickets... Out there on the periphery, I can assure you there are a lot of folk illegally smuggling in alcohol (I know I've had to deal with them)...

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCol and iu2win
Not so fast Larry!

I’ll wait for the next report as they always contradict the prior one. No dog in this race. It doesn’t really matter either way. There are already many drunken people in the stands from hours of tailgating. It has and always will be part of the college football experience.

Is it likely you don't understand having a few beers makes the game more enjoyable due to you've never done so yourself? Ever hear the adage, don't knock it, if you haven't tried it?

If other people having drinks bothers you, what in the hell do you do for fun on New Year's Eve? We get it, some of the prudes like yourself want to try and force shame on others who want to live a little, but please let adults be adults. Most who drink, aren't necessarily drunk and/or stupid as you seem to generalize. We get it, you want and expect IU fans to be a certain way. If you can't enjoy a game because of others, maybe it's time to change the focus on where the problem more than likely is. Check the mirror.

I’ll wait for the next report as they always contradict the prior one. No dog in this race. It doesn’t really matter either way. There are already many drunken people in the stands from hours of tailgating. It has and always will be part of the college football experience.

Two things here...1st...Upset, is your point that its too bad to fix so lay back and enjoy it...paraphrase here vbg. Or that Im a drunk...give it a try. Cant beat us, join us argument? Please...no...cant touch that for obvious logic gaps. And Tke….just because its always been bad we should make no effort to clean it up?? Guess that's how you become a drunk,,,lol.

Come on, man! Is that the best debate point for booze at games? Its out of control so join in, be happy? How old are you guys?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT