ADVERTISEMENT

Most Disturbing thing to me

It's a "what have you done for me lately" world. We'll see if he even makes it to six wins this year.
What do you mean, "we'll see if he EVEN makes it to six wins?" You make it sounds like six wins sucks when it would be mission accomplished for CTA. At Indiana and Purdue, six wins is a good season.

The lack of fight in the second half. Lack of mental toughness.

DeMarcus Elliott, Tiawan Mullen, and Whop are the only guys that stood out to me with effort in the 2nd half.

We need to start benching people and playing others. Mathews with a terrible effort on tackling on a touchdown late. Coaches can only send a message with playing time. They played Love and Nworah on the OL but man. Bedford should be playing some. Tom Allen will become Bill Lynch if he keeps waiting for the 5th year for people.
The score was most disturbing thing to me.

Reactions: td75
What do you mean, "we'll see if he EVEN makes it to six wins?" You make it sounds like six wins sucks when it would be mission accomplished for CTA. At Indiana and Purdue, six wins is a good season.
Way to move the goalposts, Ace. The other poster's argument was that Brohm's phone is ringing incessantly with offers. My point was that he's 1-3 in his last four games (including the 2018 season ending debacle against Auburn) and probably on his way to a .500 year at best. That's not the kind of recent record that typically results in big-time HC offers.

We can debate Brohm all day. Until we beat them, Brohm has the edge in coaching ability. You look at the Michigan vs OSU series. Urban Meyer owned Harbaugh.
I’m not saying we can’t beat them this year, I’m just saying talk is cheap and it time to show something on game day.
I'll give this one last shot and then I've got to get back to work. My post was not about Brohm v. Allen. I was disputing the other poster's argument that Brohm is currently in great demand by other schools. His stock was probably at its highest point right after he beat IU last season. It's dropped since then.

This is like saying you’ll see if you win the lottery because someone else did. The odds are heavily against us here. A smart person would cut bait and move on to better odds.
The odds are against us in a lot of ways, so if you are smart then become an Alabama fan. The point I’m making is that it isn’t time to declare Allen a failure... yet. He has the floor right now, and if/when he fails we should call it out. We haven’t seen enough yet.

You know those two classes are are now freshman and sophomores. They are actually playing when in a perfect world they should not be on the field. As far as player development check out how many Hoosiers are now on NFL rosters.
No, in a perfect world, those players play right away because they are that good. And a lot of them are playing, the sophomores at least. I just did a quick search and found a site that had Clemson and Alabama's depth chart (since you mentioned a perfect world). They each had 14 players in the 2 deep that were in their first 2 years, and they show us with 15.

And I find it comical that you give credit to Allen for the development of the guys in the NFL currently. Maybe the guys on defense that are rookies.....or guys on defense at all. Who are they again?

Maybe things will be fine, and we will develop these guys. I'm just saying it is definitely a concern of mine, the way things are now after watching that OSU game and how much worse we have gotten against them, compared to the last 3 games.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
You only get them for 4 maybe 5 years it should be enough. I don’t know how long he thinks they get with the players.
Seriously? You just said it....this is his FOURTH year. Which means the guys he has developed the most -- this being their FOURTH year, are seniors right NOW. Why would you give him credit for guys on an NFL roster now? Especially those that he never coached, and those on offense.

Seriously? You just said it....this is his FOURTH year. Which means the guys he has developed the most -- this being their FOURTH year, are seniors right NOW. Why would you give him credit for guys on an NFL roster now? Especially those that he never coached, and those on offense.
He hired the guys that coached them for the last 2 years so yes.

No, in a perfect world, those players play right away because they are that good. And a lot of them are playing, the sophomores at least. I just did a quick search and found a site that had Clemson and Alabama's depth chart (since you mentioned a perfect world). They each had 14 players in the 2 deep that were in their first 2 years, and they show us with 15.

And I find it comical that you give credit to Allen for the development of the guys in the NFL currently. Maybe the guys on defense that are rookies.....or guys on defense at all. Who are they again?

Maybe things will be fine, and we will develop these guys. I'm just saying it is definitely a concern of mine, the way things are now after watching that OSU game and how much worse we have gotten against them, compared to the last 3 games.
Covington Scales Fant right off the top of my head Offense you have Knight and Rogers.

He hired the guys that coached them for the last 2 years so yes.
Okay.....so what guys are you exactly talking about? Let's be specific, we don't have that many players on NFL rosters. In fact, here are the ones from those 2 years you mentioned (according by sorting at espn):

Dan Godsil
Brandon Knight
Wes Martin
Ian Thomas

Those guys are more important to look at then the starting 5 on our OL now? Some of whom he has coached the full 4 years? Uh.....okay.

Do you mean development only happens in the first year?

Allen did a tremendous job as DC in 2016. I would've given big money to witness Allen and Wilson coach one or two more years together at Indiana. It frosts my sack that Fred couldn't rein in Kevin Wilson!!

Indiana could've won some big games with that brain trust!!

Allen did a tremendous job as DC in 2016. I would've given big money to witness Allen and Wilson coach one or two more years together at Indiana. It frosts my sack that Fred couldn't rein in Kevin Wilson!!

Indiana could've won some big games with that brain trust!!
Without a QB?

Reactions: 76-1
In all fairness, it’s only his third year technically, unless you count his year as a DC. The one guy on a nfl roster that we could argue he “developed” is likely Chris Covington, which was actually remarkable considering his improvement when Allen came to town, and the fact that he was moving from QB. But that’s the only guy I can think of giving him credit for “developing”. Miller is looking like he will be the next IU LB in the NFL in a few years.

Reactions: rcaulfie
Covington, Scales and Fant are not on NFL rosters.
Yeah, but Scales and Fant were good before Allen came in. Everyone knew Scales would get a shot in the NFL the day he came on campus, and he developed early. Same with Fant who led the nation in pass breakups early on I think (I think his sophomore year before CTA came in). Covington is the one guy he legitimately developed since he came in as a QB. Between 2016 and 2017 Covington went from a third string guy to a legit NFL linebacker, so I can give CTA Credit for that. The other guys were playing early in their careers and developing pretty fast before he came in.

Reactions: rcaulfie and 76-1

Sadly, this is spot on.

I’ll give credit for developing Knight and Martin. Both NFL linemen. I know it’s offensive development but still deserves credit. (Hiller deserves credit).
I’m very interested in next three games. I hope we are celebrating not questioning.
Go Hoosiers!

I’ll give credit for developing Knight and Martin. Both NFL linemen. I know it’s offensive development but still deserves credit. (Hiller deserves credit).
I’m very interested in next three games. I hope we are celebrating not questioning.
Go Hoosiers!
I seem to recall Kevin Wilson talking up Brandon Knight big time his freshman year. I think Wilson played Knight at TE his first year and he may've scored a touchdown in a Bucket game one year? It was obvious that Knight was a very durable and above average lineman, the kind iu needs going forward.

I still have high hopes for Caleb Jones. You can not let a big loss against a semi pro team demoralize you. Jones is still young and can certainly blossom from here out. I'm going to record the game this weekend and watch it with particular focus on the oline. Jones has elite size, we shall see how he develops by the end of the season.

Reactions: rcaulfie and 82IU
Yeah, but Scales and Fant were good before Allen came in. Everyone knew Scales would get a shot in the NFL the day he came on campus, and he developed early. Same with Fant who led the nation in pass breakups early on I think (I think his sophomore year before CTA came in). Covington is the one guy he legitimately developed since he came in as a QB. Between 2016 and 2017 Covington went from a third string guy to a legit NFL linebacker, so I can give CTA Credit for that. The other guys were playing early in their careers and developing pretty fast before he came in.
Yes, thank you. That was pretty much what I was getting at from the very beginning. And when I looked specifically who I would say he developed the most, Covington definitely was the one I would say as well. But I was addressing the post where he said to look at NFL rosters for that proof......I didn't say that, he did. And since he just got released a few days ago, he was not on a roster. So to his point, the one guy he developed the most, wasn't even part of his argument officially.

Reactions: Superstar84b
Go Hoosiers!
I understand that, and I can agree. (Although I agree more about Rogers who redshirted his first year. As the other poster said, Knight was highly talked about as a FR and played and had the talent to play TE when we were short there, so could say he didn't develop all the much.) But shouldn't the state of the current OL -- the 5 guys we have now consisting of a SR, 2 RS-SR's, a JR and a RS-SO matter more than just Rogers and Knight? Or at least cancel a lot of that out? I mean, we can't run at all. One of the reasons he played well against OSU in the past was our OL.....they ended up beating us, and beating our D down, but we scored points against them. But not with this group.

No...just no...no...he helped but did not develope...period...end.

I understand that, and I can agree. (Although I agree more about Rogers who redshirted his first year. As the other poster said, Knight was highly talked about as a FR and played and had the talent to play TE when we were short there, so could say he didn't develop all the much.) But shouldn't the state of the current OL -- the 5 guys we have now consisting of a SR, 2 RS-SR's, a JR and a RS-SO matter more than just Rogers and Knight? Or at least cancel a lot of that out? I mean, we can't run at all. One of the reasons he played well against OSU in the past was our OL.....they ended up beating us, and beating our D down, but we scored points against them. But not with this group.
Current totally matters. I'm with you. I just can't figure out how much a new OC has impacted current state. Nice post.

Fant is I’m injured list Covington was in Cowboys did not see where he was released. Same as Scales did not see his release.
Look at the 53-man rosters. They are not on them. That is what you said to do originally to prove Allen develops the players.

I'd say Logan Justus has been developed. 2nd team BIG.
I can agree with that. And Whitehead, too (Saturday's shank aside). But when we can't get into FG range, or our protection doesn't allow our punter to get it off, kind of a waste of that development, imo.

I think that was a senior Gavin Everett who blew that assignment on the blocked punt.

I can agree with that. And Whitehead, too (Saturday's shank aside). But when we can't get into FG range, or our protection doesn't allow our punter to get it off, kind of a waste of that development, imo.

Look at the 53-man rosters. They are not on them. That is what you said to do originally to prove Allen develops the players.
I know this is old but I think Covington is on IR. I forgot to post that, but in the preseason get had a nasty neck injury on a kickoff could've been a lot worse because he had his head down. It reminded me of the Shazier injury a few years ago, but thankfully it didn't turn out that bad. I know that's a side point, but that's why he hasn't played this season. He was going to be a special teams guy/backup before that injury.

I know this is old but I think Covington is on IR. I forgot to post that, but in the preseason get had a nasty neck injury on a kickoff could've been a lot worse because he had his head down. It reminded me of the Shazier injury a few years ago, but thankfully it didn't turn out that bad. I know that's a side point, but that's why he hasn't played this season. He was going to be a special teams guy/backup before that injury.
Good to see a post from you again 84B. Always appreciate your insight on Hoosier football. Hope to hear more from you regarding the current team's performance.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT