ADVERTISEMENT

More free money! It pays to be poor.

Well if you qualified in the last three years, it’s my understanding you can do 1040X’s and reap your just rewards. But I’m nothing more than an average Joe with two eyeballs and two thumbs when it comes to taxes.

EDIT: According to this, you can file 1040-X’s electronically only for the last three years. I haven’t found any limitation or not beyond that. You could ask at the library. They usually have people helping with taxes voluntarily there.

I have no idea how long this EITC has been available.

Maybe @stollcpa can weigh in here. I find it hard to believe that all these years TaxAct hasn't accounted for this. I get how I would be eligible now with my income being so low (not counting Social Security).

Maybe @stollcpa can weigh in here. I find it hard to believe that all these years TaxAct hasn't accounted for this. I get how I would be eligible now with my income being so low (not counting Social Security).
Yes, I also thought of him. Looks like this EITC has been around for 15 years or so and many people have been missing out:

“IR-2018-13, Jan. 26, 2018

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service and its partners across the country remind taxpayers about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on EITC Awareness Day. Today marks the 12th year of this awareness campaign to alert millions of low- and moderate-income workers who may be missing out on this significant tax credit.”

Turns out the IRS has something called the taxpayer advocate. 1-877-777-4778. Here’s their page on the EITC.

For example:

“Note: If your earned income was higher in 2019 than in 2021, you can use the 2019 amount to figure your EITC for 2021. If you choose to use the 2019 amount for the EITC, it has no effect on any of your other 2021 federal income tax calculations. This temporary relief is provided through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.”

UncleMark, did TaxAct ask you about your earned income from 2019? 🧐

Last edited:
Ok. Found it here. Looks like you can go back three years and if I’m not mistaken it looks like they tripled it this year meaning you’ll probably get around 500 bucks for each year that you qualified in the past. Looks like you need to hurry for 2018.

Claim the EITC for Prior Years​

You have three years to file and claim a refund from the due date of your tax return. If you were eligible, you can still claim the EITC for prior years:

• For 2020 if you file your tax return by May 17, 2024
  • For 2019 if you file your tax return by July 15, 2023
  • For 2018, if you file your tax return by April 18, 2022
To file a prior year tax return, complete and file Form 1040 and a Schedule EIC, if you had a qualifying child.

If you filed a tax return for those years, but didn't claim the EITC and you were eligible, file an amended return. See Tax Topic 308, Amended Returns.

To find out if you were eligible, use the EITC Qualification Assistant.

Yabbut, they paid ME! That's the thing that blew my mind.
“Over the course of the pandemic, the Treasury Department issued roughly $6 trillion, $2.7 trillion of which was monetized by the Federal Reserve. Americans were sent $5.1 trillion through various programs, including individual checks and unemployment bonuses.”

I am here because of Goat!
16142%20-%20Big_Show%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20winking%20wwe.gif

Reactions: Lucy01 and larsIU
As far as medical costs go,

“On average, a doctor spends anywhere from $68,000 to $85,000 a year (about 14% of total revenue, or almost one-third of a primary care physician’s salary) on billing and insurance company issues.”​

Well, my wife is looking for a new job....

If the injuries aren't serious insurance cos are fast. Faster than the gov. Hell the worst part of resolving a pi claim is if there's ERISA or Medicare. And Fed WC claims? Forget it. Postal worker gets hurt you can't even find a lawyer to take it. Insurance F's around you have vexatious refusal and third party claims.
You're welcome.

Having moved on from the claims world some years ago I laugh when my wife (still in claims mgmt) talks about fighting for pennies on the dollar on a settlement. It's unnecessary and insurance co's could cut all kinds of claim staff if they'd just make a decent offer 1st time on chiro/massage only shake and bake claims and move on. Also, all carriers are big on liability offsets even down to like 5%. Why? Just stupid and inefficient.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It pays to be poor until the crappy car you need to hold a shitty job breaks down, and the $1,500 goes toward a $2,300 auto repair bill.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You're welcome.

Having moved on from the claims world some years ago I laugh when my wife (still in claims mgmt) talks about fighting for pennies on the dollar on a settlement. It's unnecessary and insurance co's could cut all kinds of claim staff if they'd just make a decent offer 1st time on chiro/massage only shake and bake claims and move on. Also, all carriers are big on liability offsets even down to like 5%. Why? Just stupid and inefficient.
It's all miserable. So, so miserable. PIP is helpful where soft tissue claims are just handled through your own policy in some states and the bs is weeded out. But yeah it's brutal. The cycles were awful too. Progressive or AAA or the Family would just randomly stop paying. Instead of three times the medical specials they'd offer half the meds on shit cases. Then the cases would be so old you'd have to go file a shit ton of them at once. Sometimes opposing counsel, captive or outside, would show up and say I don't know what the F the adjuster was doing how about xxxx and you'd go thank god, other times the lawyer would show up and say hey sorry dude adjuster still has the claim. I have no authority. and then you'd start to think about the decisions you had made in life to get you to that point. You'd also start to wonder if it was a smart move to mother fck the adjuster and tell her to fax over a copy of her law degree and medical degree

Reactions: larsIU
During 2021 my wife went from being a salaried employee for a publishing company to doing freelance work, so far, only for the same company. But it is self-employment income and my wife therefore "started a business" in 2021. There are huge tax advantages to starting a business. We prepaid taxes to the level of 35-40% of her and my untaxed income (my side work as an expert witness) and we'll get a ton of that back, due to starting the business and due to being able to contribute 25% of that income tax-exempt to a SEP IRA. We will see the biggest refund check we've ever seen in our lives. I should have filed earlier, but it took a while for all the documentation to arrive,

It's all miserable. So, so miserable. PIP is helpful where soft tissue claims are just handled through your own policy in some states and the bs is weeded out. But yeah it's brutal. The cycles were awful too. Progressive or AAA or the Family would just randomly stop paying. Instead of three times the medical specials they'd offer half the meds on shit cases. Then the cases would be so old you'd have to go file a shit ton of them at once. Sometimes opposing counsel, captive or outside, would show up and say I don't know what the F the adjuster was doing how about xxxx and you'd go thank god, other times the lawyer would show up and say hey sorry dude adjuster still has the claim. I have no authority. and then you'd start to think about the decisions you had made in life to get you to that point. You'd also start to wonder if it was a smart move to mother fck the adjuster and tell her to fax over a copy of her law degree and medical degree
YES. The ever changing year to year "Priorities".

Meaningless drivel.

• Sad
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Certificates of Deposit. I hear they're paying 0.75% these days.

Not around here. Best I've seen hereabouts is 0.55. But that was a couple months ago. I had a nice sized CD mature at 1.75 and bought an I-Bond with most of it at 7.19.

Before my father passed away he started putting his kids as co-owners of several of his assets. He gave me a certificate of deposit and a growth mutual fund, each with a value of ~5K at that time, over 15 years ago. He said "here's a safe bet and here's a risky one".

Well, the CD chugged along at 0.5% interest for most of that time and is now worth ~7K. Not bad. But...the agressive mutual fund did amazingly well and is now worth ~30K.

A lesson in long-term earnings, risk-taking, and continuous compounding/reinvestment. And that mutual fund did not enormously outperform even whole market index funds.

Reactions: UncleMark
I did make the payment on a BoA Platinum card that pays me back 2.62% to arbitrage the 1.9% service fee for CC payments.... that's about the only saving grace. Spent the last 3 days working on this shit. Time for a drink.
Take solace. Feinstein with all her faculties and the rest will be excellent stewards of your hard-earned income

@mcmurtry66
Sorry for the doxxing.

I mean, the guys name can't be a coincidence.
My favorite quote from the article:

McQueary was drawn to cryptocurrency by an advertisement he saw on social media.

“This guy Eppy was talking up how much you can make and he had a great track record, had posted pics of some smoking hot chicks. And he was on the Water Cooler, not the crappy freebie basketball board. How could I have known it woudn't work? Now the guy won't respond to my DMs,” McQueary said.

McQueary was drawn to cryptocurrency by an advertisement he saw on social media.

“This guy Eppy was talking up how much you can make and he had a great track record, had posted pics of some smoking hot chicks. And he was on the Water Cooler, not the crappy freebie basketball board. How could I have known it woudn't work? Now the guy won't respond to my DMs,” McQueary said.
Bravo!

Don't forget @Baller23Boogie

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

Now I'm worried about those I-Bonds you guys talked me into.

Not funny

At a glance, it might seem awesome, and it is so until you realize you need more from this life. Then you realize you want a better job, a girlfriend, a car, and this list can continue indefinitely. Sooner or later, shit happens, or you get a brilliant business opportunity, and then you need easy reachable money. I dare you to look at this article about why liquid net worth matters. It's crucial to be acquainted with general economic notions and have a basic financial education.
P.S. Until then, I would not refuse a free 1500$ per month for being poor, lol.

Last edited:
I'm bent over with no lube today. You're welcome @UncleMark

Thanks, @twenty02 . I appreciate what you and @mcmurtry66 and especially @JamieDimonsBalls do for all us poor bastards.

Well, I'm disappointed in you guys this year. No unexpected bonus money this year. Paid in nothing, get nothing back. WTF is that bullshit??? If it wasn't for what little I'm getting back from the state I would have gone in the hole after paying for the software.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT