ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell Paige Not Pulling Punches…

He's admitted he hasn't played it. Just that he's "seen" it. I'd advise you not to get in an argument with this guy. He's made these exact same points a million times on other boards and he fights his battles solo while the rest of us just shake our head at his bizarre thoughts. Original course could be one of the best in the state and midwest if it just got some TLC. LOL
Okay, thanks for the heads up.

It needed all of those things plus a re-design to adapt it to modern equipment. When did you last play the Pfau course?
you obviously aren't a serious golfer, and obviously know nothing about golf courses, so you might want to post about something else.

A), i played the old course many times over 50 plus yrs, including in the past 10 yrs, and have seen it in great shape as well as poor shape over that span.

B), what shape it was in at any point in time has nothing to do with the layout itself, or what shape it could be in.

C), only the grossly ill informed or someone with an agenda would ever label a great design "outdated".

are Augusta, Pebble Beach, and the rest of the US's non Pete Dye esque golf course royalty also "outdated"?

the basic layout was flat great. the original architech didn't have 12 mil to work with.

yes, it needed sand, some water, (there wasn't a fairway trap or water feature on the entire course as built, but that's easily added), some lengthening due to modern equipment, (was plenty long pre equipment changes that made all great layouts need lengthening), modern irrigation, and premium grass.

had they just done that, IU would be the best course in the state, one of the premier courses in the midwest, and far nicer than what they now have.

you're now just being an idiot troll again.

i just addressed exactly that and you know it, in the very post you quoted.

go troll elsewhere, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, and are just being an ahole troll at this point..

have you ever even played golf? or broken 100? i doubt it. otherwise you wouldn't ask such irrelevant questions to the issue.

and ones i already addressed.

Last edited:
How much more or less B10 money does Indiana receive from TV revenue and bowl game payouts when the attendance is:

a. 20,000
b. 30,000
c. 40,000
d. 50,000

Or, ask the same question based on IU's W-L record for a season.

you're now just being an idiot troll again.

i just addressed exactly that and you know it, in the very post you quoted.

go troll elsewhere, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, and are just being an ahole troll at this point..

have you ever even played golf? or broken 100? i doubt it. otherwise you wouldn't ask such irrelevant questions to the issue.

and ones i already addressed.
You didn’t address it, which is why I asked, and you claimed the new course was a “huge downgrade from the old design”, even though you’ve never once played it. I’ll let the rest of your tantrum alone in hopes a needed nap is in your near future.

I remember one game at Michigan in particular. It was in the third quarter and the Hoosiers had not had a turnover or a punt. They were averaging over 9 yards a play and they were still losing the game.

It was a game where the Hoosier defense turned 5 ft 8 in Michigan receiver Jeremy Gallon into a legend. 14 receptions for 369 yards
That game was awful. 63-47. No defense in either side. In true Wilson fashion, our defense happened to be more inept.

How do you explain the declining recruiting and the bust on the top recruits brought in. We were headed in the wrong direction when he was fired. I do miss his offenses though.
Agree we were headed in the wrong direction. Also agree with you that many of his offenses were exciting (which made it baffling to me that he had trouble landing enough quality QB’s. Had to trot out Zander vs OSU? Yikes) and it was very fun to see us go up and down the field against nearly everyone. But, the defenses were really bad. “Third and long” became a synonym for “first down”. I couldn’t believe how many 3rd and 10/15/20’s we gave up.

So Allen comes in and I’m thrilled to see us actually tackle, force turnovers, make stops and aggressive defensive plays. Unfortunately the offense has regressed. We could have a good team if we could Frankenstein the Wilson O with the Allen D.

That game was awful. 63-47. No defense in either side. In true Wilson fashion, our defense happened to be more inept.
Or how about the UM at IU 2015 game. We go ahead by a TD with 2 minutes to go, people are jumping up and down “oh my god we are going to beat Michigan”….I was at the game) but of course it was too much to expect to keep them out of the end zone when they had 2 minutes to go 66 yards. Exciting game but man that was tough to lose in double OT.

I remember one game at Michigan in particular. It was in the third quarter and the Hoosiers had not had a turnover or a punt. They were averaging over 9 yards a play and they were still losing the game.

It was a game where the Hoosier defense turned 5 ft 8 in Michigan receiver Jeremy Gallon into a legend. 14 receptions for 369 yards
The 47-63 game? One of the most ridiculous games I've ever seen.

Reactions: vesuvius13

The hiring of mallory as DC was a terrible decision. How everyone of Mallory's kids were such terrible coaches is mind boggling.

You didn’t address it, which is why I asked, and you claimed the new course was a “huge downgrade from the old design”, even though you’ve never once played it. I’ll let the rest of your tantrum alone in hopes a needed nap is in your near future.

i never said i'd never played it.

pay attention to what i said, not what someone else said i said.

played it once last summer/fall, walked it some prior to that, including as they were building it..

like i said, i've bit my lip about this for a while now, but couldn't forever.

losing the par 3 was a big loss as well.

i didn't play it, but it probably got a lot more play than the champ course.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb17
In fairness, Allen replaced “his coach.” There’s a bit of animosity there before Allen even put on the headset. There is also a bit of revisionist history in his commentary. Wilson never built a defense. It wasn’t some rocket ship on the launch pad. Wilson had a lot to work on. Mitchell must have forgotten tbe Rutgers game where we blew a 27 point lead.
say what you will about wilson but there's no doubt that guy could coach offense. all he needed was the right DC. but as soon as he found one he was fired. that's iu football, 1 step forward 2 steps back.

say what you will about wilson but there's no doubt that guy could coach offense. all he needed was the right DC. but as soon as he found one he was fired. that's iu football, 1 step forward 2 steps back.

for Wilson to have not gotten another major school head coach job seems strange on it's face.

that wouldn't happen without a reason.

whether it's just the alcohol thing or not, there's a reason he hasn't gotten other major offers.

and while he piled up points, he did so by using up almost no time on offense, which made it that much harder on the defense.

OSU's not letting him do that there.

for Wilson to have not gotten another major school head coach job seems strange on it's face.

whether it's just the alcohol thing or not, there's a reason he hasn't gotten other major offers.

and while he piled up points, he did so by using up almost no time on offense, which made it that much harder on the defense.

who cares what the reason is ? unless he's a pedophile or drug pusher let him do his job. the guy can coach. oh and btw. osu's a whole different animal.

He’s not calling plays

as for The Pfau Golf course.

might have well just burned $12 mil.

what a total clusterfk.

and now they think idiots will shell out $95 bucks to bail out their idiocy?

they've even priced out non wealthy students.

the new course isn't half as nice, or a forth as beautiful, as the one that was plowed under, and isn't a tenth as nice as the old layout could have been with adding traps, some water, redoing some greens and adding some length, and premium grass.

and the trapping on the new course is a total joke, and actually detracts from the layout.

i've bit my tongue on this since the course was completed.

can't do so any longer.

that said, i'm much more upset about losing a great layout that could have been the best course in the state fixed right, than the money.
That's interesting, surprised to hear that the new golf course isn't up to par...pun intended.

Pfau was always a serious business man and he loves IU football, FWIW.

There was a reason he didn’t get one before we hired him, in spite of being an extremely well regarded offensive guru.

Wilson and Allen have both proved their special prowess. Both have proved how important viable strong DC and OC hires are through the facts of their own personal pedigrees. Wilson strengthened the weak IUFB backbone in spite of the results produced DC's Mallory or Knorr. Allen has added more strength and to me is making a positive difference by improving recruiting while suffering through OC misfires. I suspect if he'd kept Kevin Johns the offense produced would have coincided more favorably with his D.
I have some friends here in northern Indiana who make 2 trips a year to play the new IU course. 72 holes over 2 days then spend money downtown in the evening like sailors with 3 arms. They talk favorably about the course. Believe this year is their 3rd annual trek to Bloomington. Something must be nice about the course as they have the means to enjoy golfing about any destination they wish.

Last edited:
Paige's toughness belied his small stature when he wore the cream and crimson, and he made some important contributions to IU football. That said, and as a couple of guys have already noted, there's not much substance in this interview. It did, though, provide great views of the blue sky and passing clouds.

There was a reason he didn’t get one before we hired him, in spite of being an extremely well regarded offensive guru.

don't know if he's cleaned up his act, but he was a drug addict while here.

alcohol is often a horrible and dangerous drug.

we demonize alcoholics like we demonize all addicts, but they are just addicts who usually hopelessly wish they weren't.

that we don't try to move our national drug from alcohol to pot, is one of our nation's and state's biggest total and complete failures right now.

instead, we do the exact opposite of what we should, and try and move people toward alcohol, and away from pot.

total failure of leadership.

we demonize alcoholics like we demonize all addicts, but they are just addicts who usually hopelessly wish they weren't.

that we don't try to move our national drug from alcohol to pot, is one of our nation's and state's biggest total and complete failures right now.

instead, we do the exact opposite of what we should, and try and move people toward alcohol, and away from pot.

so was bear bryant. and a lot of very successful people in all walks of life

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
as for The Pfau Golf course.

might have well just burned $12 mil.

what a total clusterfk.

and now they think idiots will shell out $95 bucks to bail out their idiocy?

they've even priced out non wealthy students.

the new course isn't half as nice, or a forth as beautiful, as the one that was plowed under, and isn't a tenth as nice as the old layout could have been with adding traps, some water, redoing some greens and adding some length, and premium grass.

and the trapping on the new course is a total joke, and actually detracts from the layout.

i've bit my tongue on this since the course was completed.

can't do so any longer.

that said, i'm much more upset about losing a great layout that could have been the best course in the state fixed right, than the money.
The golf people that rate golf courses disagree with you...strongly

$90 is CHEAP for a course of this stature.

The course is very young and the bugs will be worked out.

The old course was on great land but was one of the worst in the BIG.

The only thing I don't care for is the clubouse. Kinda institutional.

You and ordy fighting about this is exactly what he wants. Clearly neither of you two have ever played the course so stop the tickle fight.

Last edited:

And for those reasons (among others) he was managed out.

That's interesting, surprised to hear that the new golf course isn't up to par...pun intended.

Pfau was always a serious business man and he loves IU football, FWIW.
It is a very nice course. Looks and plays a bit more like a links course so many occasional golfers don't understand what they are looking at. As Jimmy says..."don't spend a long time looking for balls"

Reactions: td75
Or how about the UM at IU 2015 game. We go ahead by a TD with 2 minutes to go, people are jumping up and down “oh my god we are going to beat Michigan”….I was at the game) but of course it was too much to expect to keep them out of the end zone when they had 2 minutes to go 66 yards. Exciting game but man that was tough to lose in double OT.
We lived through about five years of high-powered offence and zero defense. If there was more than 60 seconds left in the half or the game...we were gonna get scored on.

The golf people that rate golf courses disagree with you...strongly

$90 is CHEAP for a course of this stature.

The course is very young and the bugs will be worked out.

The old course was on great land but was one of the worst in the BIG.

The only thing I don't care for is the clubouse. Kinda institutional.

You and ordy fighting about this is exactly what he wants. Clearly neither of you two have ever played the course so stop the tickle fight.

grossly overpriced beyond belief. especially for the market.

and "ratings" are very political, not objective.

the old layout with just zoysia, would be much nicer.

tons of central Ind courses as nice or nicer, for far less.

i'll question how many "full fee" plays they actually get.

and many who pay full fee to play it and see what it is, won't come back at that price imo.

i'd like to say "we'll see", but i don't trust IU's numbers for 2 seconds if they say their getting a lot of play at that price for long.

hardly anyone on the course the few times i was there.

perhaps someone who's been there more than than i, can tell me what kind of retail price action they're getting on a regular basis.

they had a tourney this week, wonder what the entry fee was.

Last edited:

and many who pay full fee to play it and see what it is, won't come back at that price imo.

i'd like to say "we'll see", but i don't trust IU's numbers for 2 seconds if they say their getting a lot of play at that price for long.

perhaps someone who's been there more than than i, can tell me what kind of action they're getting on a regular basis.
Its priced to keep the Golf Trash away.

Serious golfers only.

perhaps someone who's been there more than than i, can tell me what kind of retail price action they're getting on a regular basis.
Intersting. The four times I played the course we booked a week in advance and needed to.

You, like your trolly pal know shit about Pfau.

Indiana is fortunate to have some great course on campuses.

IU
ND
Culver
PU

have played them all multiple times and they are all great in their own way. Pfau is referred to as "The Beast in the BIG" and is a bargain at $90.

Intersting. The four times I played the course we booked a week in advance and needed to.

You, like your trolly pal know shit about Pfau.

Indiana is fortunate to have some great course on campuses.

IU
ND
Culver
PU

have played them all multiple times and they are all great in their own way. Pfau is referred to as "The Beast in the BIG" and is a bargain at $90.

almost no course is a bargain at $90. (and i think it's $95 Fri, sat, sun).

that doesn't mean some idiots won't pay it.

we'll see how that price holds up when the newness wears off.

Another gut punch. That was the 2nd year in a row we went OT with Michigan.
If IU had a semi-competent defense in 2015, we win the bowl game vs Duke. However, I still have nightmares of the QB draw they ran right up the middle and our defense was like the Red Sea. Just a huge, gaping hole and the Duke QB ran untouched right up the gut for like 60 yard touchdown.

Call French Lick and ask their prices for The Pete Dye Course.

Or a Pinehurst course - any, just pick one.

i wouldn't pay $5 to play the Lick Dye course.

would rather play the original Eagle Creek if going Pete Dye.

played the Donald Ross course down there back in the day.

didn't think it was anything special, and not near the course old IU was at the time.

Last edited:
Agree we were headed in the wrong direction. Also agree with you that many of his offenses were exciting (which made it baffling to me that he had trouble landing enough quality QB’s. Had to trot out Zander vs OSU? Yikes) and it was very fun to see us go up and down the field against nearly everyone. But, the defenses were really bad. “Third and long” became a synonym for “first down”. I couldn’t believe how many 3rd and 10/15/20’s we gave up.

So Allen comes in and I’m thrilled to see us actually tackle, force turnovers, make stops and aggressive defensive plays. Unfortunately the offense has regressed. We could have a good team if we could Frankenstein the Wilson O with the Allen D.
Nothing like a prevent defense on 1st, 2nd and 3rd downs. 🤣🤦🏻

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT