ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
What about Woody? Really hadn't thought of him, but a friend just brought up his name.

What about Woody? Really hadn't thought of him, but a friend just brought up his name.

We've discussed Woodson for a couple of years, and the general consensus seems to be that Woodson has no experience with college recruiting or program management, plus his HC experience has yielded inconsistent, at best, results. His Atlanta years were dependent on one player, Joe Johnson, carrying the offensive load . . . without an iso-Joe offensive type player he wasn't that effective.

Plus with the Hawks the word was that the players got tired of hearing his voice . . .

. . . so while we love Mike as an IU player and alum, he's probably not the best fit.

We've discussed Woodson for a couple of years, and the general consensus seems to be that Woodson has no experience with college recruiting or program management, plus his HC experience has yielded inconsistent, at best, results. His Atlanta years were dependent on one player, Joe Johnson, carrying the offensive load . . . without an iso-Joe offensive type player he wasn't that effective.

Plus with the Hawks the word was that the players got tired of hearing his voice . . .

. . . so while we love Mike as an IU player and alum, he's probably not the best fit.
Plus, he doesn't need the money at this stage of his life.

Plus, he doesn't need the money at this stage of his life.

$4 million a year? For 30-35 games? Woody would listen, I have absolutely no doubt. Heck, he's got a couple of daughters . . . I'll bet they can spend everything he makes. :eek:

I'm partial to Benson over Eyl.

Bobby said that Joe Hillman was a great team leader...what's he doing now a days?

For the record, I wish we had a Roy Williams guy who played or coached under Knight. I just take exception to trying to make one.... just because.

True, but IU is in no mood for a crapshoot at this stage of post Knight.

I agree we need to make the right hire, and I agree that Woodson's likely not the best choice . . . but it's not because he wouldn't like the compensation package. We need to be honest with ourselves before we talk ourselves into something we don't want to get into.

Woodson did pretty well as an NBA coach though. Marked improvements in ATL and even won some games in NYC. He isn't the long term solution, but how cool would a coaching staff of Woodson, Wittman, and Smart be?

I know what that means . . .

. . . it means you're old. :p

Bubbles Harris .... now there is a name from the past. That team could run with the best of them when Watson put Harris, Ed Daniels on the floor at the same time.

No way you would want him if he did not play at IU. Just go get the best coach available and don't worry if they have IU ties.

All this talk about Woodson, Wittman, Alford, Smart...is concerning. I hope this isn't the page we're really on. I'd prefer to see IU basketball move on in a positive new direction, not foolishly try and recapture some long lost era. These guys aren't what IU needs in 2017.

All this talk about Woodson, Wittman, Alford, Smart...is concerning. I hope this isn't the page we're really on. I'd prefer to see IU basketball move on in a positive new direction, not foolishly try and recapture some long lost era. These guys aren't what IU needs in 2017.

Have to agree with this.

While Alford is one of our favorite IU guys of all-time I don't see him as the guy to coach the program to where we would all like it to be.

When I watch guys like Bennett, Stevens and Marshall, for example, get much more done, with less, particularly on the defensive side and with respect to valuing each possession, I see a smart brand of basketball that I want to see again in Bloomington.

Apparently some people weren't listening to what Fred listed as things he was looking for in a coach...

Steve Bouchie . . .

The obvious choice is Ivan Renko. He's 27 years old, and has been a high-level D1 head coach for 14 years. His record in the NCAA Tournament is 72-3, and he's won 10 NCAA championships. He's never lost to Kentucky or Purdue. And he's part of the IU family and would coach here for free.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT