ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Majette

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
He is not the answer at RB. The guy should be a WR or DB. That's what a lot of schools recruited him as. I agree with the board that Ellison is the best RB on the team. Followed by Gest.

Reactions: 37Hoosier
He is not the answer at RB. The guy should be a WR or DB. That's what a lot of schools recruited him as. I agree with the board that Ellison is the best RB on the team. Followed by Gest.
There's a little more to the position than meets the eye sometimes. In addition to being solid running the football, you have to be able to pass block and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Majette does both of those things very well. The question is how confident the staff feels in Ellison regarding those aspects. I'm not sold on Majette as a runner, I think he lacks the power we need at that position. But a guy who makes mistakes in protection, doesn't know the playbook thoroughly (think Coleman's rookie mistake at Navy that burned us and failure to jump on the lateral vs. Minnesota) or can't catch will cost you games.

I'm not saying Ellison is guilty of any of those things, but the staff may feel the need to bring him along slowly and give him time to grow. One thing you don't want to do is let opponents figure out what you're going to do by who you have in the backfield on any given play.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
There's a little more to the position than meets the eye sometimes. In addition to being solid running the football, you have to be able to pass block and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Majette does both of those things very well. The question is how confident the staff feels in Ellison regarding those aspects. I'm not sold on Majette as a runner, I think he lacks the power we need at that position. But a guy who makes mistakes in protection, doesn't know the playbook thoroughly (think Coleman's rookie mistake at Navy that burned us and failure to jump on the lateral vs. Minnesota) or can't catch will cost you games.

I'm not saying Ellison is guilty of any of those things, but the staff may feel the need to bring him along slowly and give him time to grow. One thing you don't want to do is let opponents figure out what you're going to do by who you have in the backfield on any given play.

I'd love to see Ellison more in the run game but I 2nd what oc77 says...

Majette is a decent 3rd down back because he can pass protect pretty well and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

However I completely agree, Ellison is the clear top running back on this team. I'm pretty sure after how he ended the Virginia game he'll start getting the most carries.

I actually like what he brings to the table. He's not a superstar....more of a complementary back, but the OL is not allowing any of these guys to do a ton. Knight is back this week and putting Crider and Norwah into the mix more, I think you'll see some better play along that Line and help the running attack.

I still think we will see sharing between Majette, Gest and Ellison with Majette and Ellison seeing the majority of snaps.

Reactions: 76-1
I agree with what you guys are saying. If that's the case, maybe an experienced guy like Rodriguez could be useful? Majette can play a role, I just don't feel he's a 3 down back but can be used on 3rd down or in the slot.

Reactions: 76-1
Agree, settle on ME and move on. Use Majettes speed and size in the open field

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT