ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Lewis

oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
Has BSU at 18-7 overall, 9-3 in the MAC ( 1 game out of first place). Congrats to the former Hoosier and the Cardinals. Good to see them successful again. When Woody retires ( and I'm not among those thinking that needs to be any time soon), ML might be at the top of the list. Of course if he continues having this kind of success, he might land a top-tier job well before IU opens again anyway.

I have a daughter who graduated from BSU and one who graduated from Valpo, so I always keep tabs on those schools and root for them. I grew up in Southern Indiana rooting for UE back in their glory days so I cheer for the Aces as well. Breaks my heart for them to be so bad. Always happy when any/all of these schools do well, and the same for Butler and ISU. But my state of Indiana fandom does not, nor ever will, include the teams from W. Laffy or South Bend. They can both pound sand.

Last edited:
If he’s very successful there why wouldn’t he? Frankly. I think finding one of our own is a better way to approach hiring. The trending hot coach ultimately could care less about IU. I love it that Woody loves IU and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.
I judge a mid major coach seasons 3 and 4-on. Getting his own players, etc. If he is the next decision made, I hope he atleast has 3 seasons under his belt with consistent results-better.

I judge a mid major coach seasons 3 and 4-on. Getting his own players, etc. If he is the next decision made, I hope he atleast has 3 seasons under his belt with consistent results-better.
Great point because it is his program after that long of a period. It's his recruits. It's his development of players that show whether he can sustain success. It will be interesting to see how well Duke does post Coach K in this regards. I do realize Scheyer was an assistant and not a mid major coach.

Great point because it is his program after that long of a period. It's his recruits. It's his development of players that show whether he can sustain success. It will be interesting to see how well Duke does post Coach K in this regards. I do realize Scheyer was an assistant and not a mid major coach.
They’re definitely still getting the recruits. The ACC is weak and they’re still struggling. Fun to watch

Reactions: jaygyure
Has BSU at 18-7 overall, 9-3 in the MAC ( 1 game out of first place). Congrats to the former Hoosier and the Cardinals. Good to see them successful again. When Woody retires ( and I'm not among those thinking that needs to be any time soon), ML might be at the top of the list. Of course if he continues having this kind of success, he might land a top-tier job well before IU opens again anyway.

I have a daughter who graduated from BSU and one who graduated from Valpo, so I always keep tabs on those schools and root for them. I grew up in Southern Indiana rooting for UE back in their glory days so I cheer for the Aces as well. Breaks my heart for them to be so bad. Always happy when any/all of these schools do well, and the same for Butler and ISU. But my state of Indiana fandom does not, nor ever will, include the teams from W. Laffy or South Bend. They can both pound sand.
Wesleyan-Evansville was a great great rivalry and story.

Sadly, both communities abandoned the schools financially.

Reactions: DCDAVID

Outdamnstanding!

By UE glory days, do you mean the Jim Crews years? I grew up down there in that era and have some great memories of games at Roberts. In fact, last weekend was the anniversary of the "Scott Hafner game" against Dayton. Were you in attendance that day?

I grew up there in the UE glory days in late 60s and early 70s and thru the transition to DIV 1. Went to ISUE for 1 year. Now USI, it looks like might be best option for college ball in Evansville. Considering it is their 1st year, it seems they are doing OK at .500 ball in OVC.

We will have 4/5/6 years of what we have now. If he’s any good next couple years he will be long gone and we will miss like usual.
Not necessarily, you think if Alford was a great coach he wouldn’t of taken an IU offer? We never offered because he wasn’t. If ML is really good we’ll offer and he’ll come home.

Lewis will be the next HC at IU when Woodson retires

Just my opinion lol
I think it should be understood when Woodson is done, I'd love him as a coach. Think they should bring him in as coach in waiting, like Painter. We had that and blew it on the wrong guys. Fife might have bought himself out of a job because of his politics, but Matta wanted off the boat. Anybody that ever saw him break that prick Jaaks face would too want Lewis

Really like how Ball State looks under Lewis. But a coach who is even more impressive and has a longer track record of success is Devries from Drake.

Put either guy in Bloomington next season and they'd turn the program around by within a year. The excitement would be back. Devries doesn't have the IU history, but watch his teams play, and he goes to the top of the wish list.

I wonder if Woody might even be considering retiring after this year. He's about a month away from his 65th birthday and facing a major roster rebuild. Does he have the energy to go through that or does he figure he's somewhat stabilized the program and goes off and enjoys retirement?

Reactions: Indyhorn
Really like how Ball State looks under Lewis. But a coach who is even more impressive and has a longer track record of success is Devries from Drake.

Put either guy in Bloomington next season and they'd turn the program around by within a year. The excitement would be back. Devries doesn't have the IU history, but watch his teams play, and he goes to the top of the wish list.
No, and the reason I have problems with an outsider, especially a mid-major coach, is he doesn’t really know what he’s getting into. Archie was immediately shell shocked once he was in the environment, he wilted and never had a chance. Michael Lewis knows the expectations, he met them as a player and succeeded. Chances are great that Devries will be intimidated by the demands of the fan base and will struggle, regardless of his coaching ability. Lewis will know exactly what to expect and should feel comfortable being back.

ISU has 20 wins already too. I'm glad that they're back to representing the state well too.

We will have 4/5/6 years of what we have now. If he’s any good next couple years he will be long gone and we will miss like usual.
I wonder, and I was talking with another IU fan buddy today about this, if Woodson will surprise us at some point and just retire unannounced. Say he takes a team in the next few years to an Elite 8 or a Final Four. He could announce that he’s gotten the program back on track and it is time for someone else to take the reins and build on it. I have no insight to anything, but wonder about this, just given his age and how much work recruiting has to be.

I wonder, and I was talking with another IU fan buddy today about this, if Woodson will surprise us at some point and just retire unannounced. Say he takes a team in the next few years to an Elite 8 or a Final Four. He could announce that he’s gotten the program back on track and it is time for someone else to take the reins and build on it. I have no insight to anything, but wonder about this, just given his age and how much work recruiting has to be.
Would like to get past the round of 32 first

Woody has three recruiters on staff. I think he will try to cut back to only closing deals. I think he's going to work for another banner. I don’t think he will ever give up with just a little success. I hope he gets it done. I haven’t seen anything to date to give me much confidence.

I wonder if Woody might even be considering retiring after this year. He's about a month away from his 65th birthday and facing a major roster rebuild. Does he have the energy to go through that or does he figure he's somewhat stabilized the program and goes off and enjoys retirement?

I hope we have Woody for another 10 years.

The only players you can get from the portal are the players who enter the portal. No guarantees the players you want or need can be found there.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Huh..
He'd be 74..
Stop it ..He doesn't even have a 4 yr track record yet..
I'm waiting to see what happens next yr.
He'd better hit home runs in the portal ..And not get Michael Durr's
Or next season could get ugly.
You’re exactly right. It’s a must he get at least one all B10 big man and an athletic 3 that can score a bunch. Actually needs at least two 6’9” to 7’ bigs.

By UE glory days, do you mean the Jim Crews years? I grew up down there in that era and have some great memories of games at Roberts. In fact, last weekend was the anniversary of the "Scott Hafner game" against Dayton. Were you in attendance that day?
Arad McCutchan
Don Buse
Jerry Sloan
Larry Humes
Ed Smallwood

Go Panthers!

I’ve thought the same thing. It seems odd how many minutes he’s playing Trayce and JHS after Woody himself mentions how he burnt out after coming back from back surgery in 1980, and that was prior to their being a Big Ten conference tournament. I realize he’d be dead man walking if we don’t dance, but it seems very alarmingly short sighted behavior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT