ADVERTISEMENT

Mich. St. has 2 wins over NCAA Tournament teams...

Paterfamilias

All-Big Ten
Dec 3, 2010
As Lunardi's Bracketology stands right now, the Spartans are 2-4 vs NCAA-T bound teams. The much maligned 2016 Big Ten Champs were 7-4 vs tourney teams. Even IU's 2014 & 2017 teams each notched 4 wins vs NCAA-T teams

Maybe Izzo will win the whole shootin' match, but this has to be the sorriest resume of a Big Ten Champion (regular season) since the expansion to 64 teams.

... that is all:)

As Lunardi's Bracketology stands right now, the Spartans are 2-4 vs NCAA-T bound teams. The much maligned 2016 Big Ten Champs were 7-4 vs tourney teams. Even IU's 2014 & 2017 teams each notched 4 wins vs NCAA-T teams

Maybe Izzo will win the whole shootin' match, but this has to be the sorriest resume of a Big Ten Champion (regular season) since the expansion to 64 teams.

I could see them slipping to a 4 seed because of it and giving a 3 to MI, and a two to PU. Haven’t seen what Joey brackets down in the bracket bunker has them at. Think he needs some supplies down their? Think we need to order him some food? How long have they been riding that corny ass shit btw???? Sorry kinda went on a tangent there.

Bump for @cosmickid as to why Purdue is seeded higher than MSU.

With the big ten being so bad this year and only getting 4 teams into the tournament you had less chances to beat tournament teams. When the big ten is rolling and getting 6-8 teams in then you had more opportunities to beat tournament teams.

With the big ten being so bad this year and only getting 4 teams into the tournament you had less chances to beat tournament teams. When the big ten is rolling and getting 6-8 teams in then you had more opportunities to beat tournament teams.

Yeah, I get it. MSU's record just has a mid-major look to it. They have 27 wins with 2 over NCAA qualifiers, while Loyola (Ill) has 28 wins with 2 over NCAA qualifiers

If you break it down though, the Big 10 is obviously tougher than the Mo Valley and MSU's 2 wins are of much higher quality. Still it looks pretty, pretty pitiful!

Yeah, I get it. MSU's record just has a mid-major look to it. They have 27 wins with 2 over NCAA qualifiers, while Loyola (Ill) has 28 wins with 2 over NCAA qualifiers

If you break it down though, the Big 10 is obviously tougher than the Mo Valley and MSU's 2 wins are of much higher quality. Still it looks pretty, pretty pitiful!

Isn't Purdue just 4-4 over likely tourney teams? Why do they deserve a 2 seed?

I think 7-4. Michigan twice, Louisville, Butler, Arizona, Marquette (bubble team) and Lipscomb (conference winner). Sadly, their 6-4 record vs Quad 1 is better than the teams behind them. Not sure if they "deserve" a 2 seed, but their resume is better than those teams behind them in the mock brackets, including MSU and UM.

Maybe they don't, I don't know. I wasn't so much commenting on the bracketology angle, but rather the fact that that the 2 wins vs tourney teams is somewhat shocking for a Big Ten Champ. I'm sure Sparty will be a tough out in the Dance, so it's probably meaningless.

I think 7-4. Michigan twice, Louisville, Butler, Arizona, Marquette (bubble team) and Lipscomb (conference winner). Sadly, their 6-4 record vs Quad 1 is better than the teams behind them. Not sure if they "deserve" a 2 seed, but their resume is better than those teams behind them in the mock brackets, including MSU and UM.

UofL is a bubble and Marquette needs to beat Villinova to get in.

Purdue has 3 good wins (Michigan twice and Arizona). While Butler is a NCAA tourney team, its hardly justification for a 2 seed. And Lipscome isnt a "Q1" win. Again, NCAA tourney team but I don't think that pushes the needle.

I think the B10 will get seeded like this: Purdue 3 seed (midwest with Xaiver and Cinncy), MSU 4 seed in East (with Virginia and Villinova), and Michigan will get a 4 seed in the South with whatever ACC/SEC teams win.

UofL is a bubble and Marquette needs to beat Villinova to get in.

Purdue has 3 good wins (Michigan twice and Arizona). While Butler is a NCAA tourney team, its hardly justification for a 2 seed. And Lipscome isnt a "Q1" win. Again, NCAA tourney team but I don't think that pushes the needle.

I think the B10 will get seeded like this: Purdue 3 seed (midwest with Xaiver and Cinncy), MSU 4 seed in East (with Virginia and Villinova), and Michigan will get a 4 seed in the South with whatever ACC/SEC teams win.
You're right. I thought Hooker U was in, but they are on the bubble also. I only added Lipscomb because the poster I was responding to mentioned records against tourney teams. They are not a Q1 win, but they are a tourney team. Still a lot of tourney games this week, but I still see Purdue as a 2 in the Midwest with Xavier the 1. I think the other 2's will be Cincy, Duke/Kansas, and UNC. To me Duke would have to win the ACC Tourney and Kansas not win the Big 12 tourney for Duke to grab a 1 seed. I think MSU and UM will be 3's. We will see in a few days.

You're right. I thought Hooker U was in, but they are on the bubble also. I only added Lipscomb because the poster I was responding to mentioned records against tourney teams. They are not a Q1 win, but they are a tourney team. Still a lot of tourney games this week, but I still see Purdue as a 2 in the Midwest with Xavier the 1. I think the other 2's will be Cincy, Duke/Kansas, and UNC. To me Duke would have to win the ACC Tourney and Kansas not win the Big 12 tourney for Duke to grab a 1 seed. I think MSU and UM will be 3's. We will see in a few days.
I would not be surprised to see Purdue, UM, and MSU all at #3 seeds. That seems to be about where they fit relative to one another and the top 16 in general. Of course a lot can change pending the outcome of the SEC, Big 12, and ACC tournaments.

Two things I would bet on. First, if there is any reasonable way the committee can leave Louisville out, they will. I think that situation is still an open wound for the NCAA. The second is that Duke will be over-seeded and have the most advantageous route to advance, playing as close to home as the committee dare place them. Seems to happen every year.

For all his talent, Izzo hasn’t done a great job with it. They’re a bit soft and out of sync.

I would be very surprised if MSU is any lower than a 2 seed. The selection committee usually rewards the Big10 regular season winner more-so, than the conference tourney winner. None of MSU's 4 losses were to non-tourney teams. So, in my estimation, MSU will be the highest seed from the Big10 with Purdue and Michigan maybe a notch lower at a 3 seed each. But I won't rule out that Purdue could also end up getting a 2 seed. It'll be interesting for sure.

I would totally agree with that ... it is not MSU's fault the BIG is top heavy and not as deep as usual this year, therefore less quality wins ... but they also have no horrid losses and spent a considerable amount of time at #1/#2 in the polls ... I see no worse than a #2 seed for them and probably a #3 or #4 for both PU and MU ... same top heavy/weak BIG schedule applies ... can't fault good teams for not getting the chance to pick up more good wins due to down conference, but the BIG may only get and probably doesn't much deserve more than those 3 and OSU. I could see that being it as Nebraska/PSU are at very best extremely bubble and we'll ... its Nebraska and Penn Sate after all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT