ADVERTISEMENT

Message to our non-subscribers that frequent the site.

Jim Coyle

Publisher
Feb 28, 2020
Bloomington, IN
thhehoosier.com
We appreciate everyone, especially our subscribers who support theHoosier.com allowing new, daily content.. For those of you that are not currently supporting the site I will bluntly ask that you begin doing so. Rivals recently made some revolutionary changes to the site that over time will be seen as an improvement and a way of providing a better experience overall. If someone seriously cannot afford the $10/month (.27 cents a day) that a subscription costs, then I understand. Most of you can easily afford the $10 a month, but choose not to be a subscriber for whatever reason. You want more? We are trying to give more. But we need your support to edo that.

But if you are not in that boat there is no reason for not being a subscriber. If you think for one second I, or anyone is getting rich here, well that would be astronomically inaccurate. We only want to be able to provide as much and the most content as possible and try to do just that every day. Everything we do to accomplish that cost money. Staff, payroll, traveling to events, equipment, and on and on. We strive to improve every day and to be better every day. We would like to add some things that we think would add to your experience.

Some things that are coming in the immediate future are basketball related. A basketball analyst for the Premium Forum page. This role will see readers have the opportunity to talk IU hoops in a deeper manner. Game strategy, game results, individual performances, coaching, etc. Separate from that have a new writer who will be focusing solely on basketball recruiting. There will also be more Premium content and less "free" content.

Personally, I would like to see the "free" boards go away. They do not benefit us, but equally bring issues we have to deal with. We are a subscriber based site, not a "click-based" one. I know there are tons of you that float on the "free" boards, but TH.com needs your patronage as a subscriber. If you are a subscriber, thank you! Encourage non-subs to come aboard. I can only ask that you BECOME A SUBSCRIBER today. Seriously, it's .27 cents a day.

Thank you!

We appreciate everyone, especially our subscribers who support theHoosier.com allowing new, daily content.. For those of you that are not currently supporting the site I will bluntly ask that you begin doing so. Rivals recently made some revolutionary changes to the site that over time will be seen as an improvement and a way of providing a better experience overall. If someone seriously cannot afford the $10/month (.27 cents a day) that a subscription costs, then I understand. Most of you can easily afford the $10 a month, but choose not to be a subscriber for whatever reason. You want more? We are trying to give more. But we need your support to edo that.

But if you are not in that boat there is no reason for not being a subscriber. If you think for one second I, or anyone is getting rich here, well that would be astronomically inaccurate. We only want to be able to provide as much and the most content as possible and try to do just that every day. Everything we do to accomplish that cost money. Staff, payroll, traveling to events, equipment, and on and on. We strive to improve every day and to be better every day. We would like to add some things that we think would add to your experience.

Some things that are coming in the immediate future are basketball related. A basketball analyst for the Premium Forum page. This role will see readers have the opportunity to talk IU hoops in a deeper manner. Game strategy, game results, individual performances, coaching, etc. Separate from that have a new writer who will be focusing solely on basketball recruiting. There will also be more Premium content and less "free" content.

Personally, I would like to see the "free" boards go away. They do not benefit us, but equally bring issues we have to deal with. We are a subscriber based site, not a "click-based" one. I know there are tons of you that float on the "free" boards, but TH.com needs your patronage as a subscriber. If you are a subscriber, thank you! Encourage non-subs to come aboard. I can only ask that you BECOME A SUBSCRIBER today. Seriously, it's .27 cents a day.

Thank you!
Plus 100%. Especially Moderators.

Guys and gals on The Water Cooler need to read this post.

Reactions: Jim Coyle

Thank you!
Just out of curiosity, who books the revenue from all the advertising on the free boards?

Reactions: tbird2017
The reality of these sites is that folks who might disagree with me can call me an idiot or an asshole or possibly worse. And the moderators for the most part will not lift a finger to stop it. If worse came to worse they could close the thread. But hey its an anonymous forum so how worked up should I get about somebody that I don’t know making derogatory comments who doesn’t know me. It’s not a big deal.

But would I pay money to be subject to that abuse? No. Not one dime.

Last edited:
Well, I’ll be frank Jim. Basketball is Nov- early March (for this team sadly). $120/year is just not a reasonable price for the 4 months when the team is active. And I do pay an annual sub to another basketball site.

I’d also bet the free boards do benefit you because most of your paying subscribers spent time on the free site first. I’m not subbing to Peegs anytime soon because the paywall is irritating.

After this years s***shit also had to question the value of these paid boards Trilly and Peegs were sources of a lot of…speculation that amounted to nothing but drama pretty much from September all the way until last week. Hard to know what to believe and the problem with a crowded space like IU basketball or Michigan football is you have to have exclusive information because that’s ultimately what people want and it seems that some other paywall sites are happy to provide ‘speculation’ and present it as credible information.

There’s also a new dynamic where those who question the regime are called in to the office and scolded and cut off so now I’m beginning to wonder if these sites will just be paid sunshine pumper site.
It’s been twenty three years since IU has been relevant in basketball. It’s not much fun to play money to speculate on the 8th best team in the Big Ten, especially when you’re not supposed to be critical. I’m not sure a basketball analyst is a great idea to have on staff. Everyone in this state knows the game and IU sucks at basketball on top of that. Who wants to be an expert on a team that struggles to make the post season on an annual basis?
It’s probably the same problem you have with IU football content. It’s got zero traction because nobody wants to know the details of a perpetually uncompetitive product.
A recruiting analyst? IU has barely been in the trail and has had one recruit in line 2 years.

Also, I’ve looked and your free community isn’t particularly big. Your paid community seems smaller. People are moving on to discords and other free communities.

I’m not seeing enough value here to justify $10 a month especially during the off season. Ultimately you better hope Indiana and Scott Dolson figure out how to win because this is the ultimate reason you’re not seeing the subscriber counts you want. Even more amusing is Dolson sells out AH and has donors happy with the status quo so there isn’t any reason to change the formula from his point of view.

Bad news for you guys I guess.

Reactions: Fritz1
The reality of these sites is that folks who might disagree with me can call me an idiot or an asshole or possibly worse. And the moderators for the most part will not lift a finger to stop it. If worse came to worse they could close the thread. But hey its an anonymous forum so how worked up should I get about somebody that I don’t know making derogatory comments who doesn’t know me. It’s not a big deal.

What an idiot, it’s just words, like close your eyes if you don’t like it!

Well, I’ll be frank Jim. Basketball is Nov- early March (for this team sadly). $120/year is just not a reasonable price for the 4 months when the team is active. And I do pay an annual sub to another basketball site.

I’d also bet the free boards do benefit you because most of your paying subscribers spent time on the free site first. I’m not subbing to Peegs anytime soon because the paywall is irritating.

After this years s***shit also had to question the value of these paid boards Trilly and Peegs were sources of a lot of…speculation that amounted to nothing but drama pretty much from September all the way until last week. Hard to know what to believe and the problem with a crowded space like IU basketball or Michigan football is you have to have exclusive information because that’s ultimately what people want and it seems that some other paywall sites are happy to provide ‘speculation’ and present it as credible information.

There’s also a new dynamic where those who question the regime are called in to the office and scolded and cut off so now I’m beginning to wonder if these sites will just be paid sunshine pumper site.
It’s been twenty three years since IU has been relevant in basketball. It’s not much fun to play money to speculate on the 8th best team in the Big Ten, especially when you’re not supposed to be critical. I’m not sure a basketball analyst is a great idea to have on staff. Everyone in this state knows the game and IU sucks at basketball on top of that. Who wants to be an expert on a team that struggles to make the post season on an annual basis?
It’s probably the same problem you have with IU football content. It’s got zero traction because nobody wants to know the details of a perpetually uncompetitive product.
A recruiting analyst? IU has barely been in the trail and has had one recruit in line 2 years.

Also, I’ve looked and your free community isn’t particularly big. Your paid community seems smaller. People are moving on to discords and other free communities.

I’m not seeing enough value here to justify $10 a month especially during the off season. Ultimately you better hope Indiana and Scott Dolson figure out how to win because this is the ultimate reason you’re not seeing the subscriber counts you want. Even more amusing is Dolson sells out AH and has donors happy with the status quo so there isn’t any reason to change the formula from his point of view.

That was a very reasonable post. Thank you. I tend to be very conservative with my money. I don't gamble and spend money needlessly. For one thing it has been out of necessity. I'm not good enough looking to be a tv preacher so the big bucks aren't there. lol I watch everything free I can. For instance being a Hoosier out of state, I watch Indiana high school sports on ihsaatv.org and youtube. They have a paid program where you get every single game, but I choose not to pay. If a game is under the pay wall then I just won't watch. I also read everything free I can. There is not one site I pay into. If this free board went away as Jim suggested I would just go and find a free one somewhere else.

Yeah. Maybe $12 a year would get me in the door even if it’s a lower tier membership. But right now every company on the planet wants our $.27 a day. Subscriptions and monthly fees and I personally have the model and try to avoid any company that tries to create a ‘premium’ service. My grocery store has a monthly fee premium service.

This annoyance in general doesn’t apply to this website or ‘newspaper’ sites. That is traditional going back forever, but unfortunately for them fatigue has set in.

I do not recall having ever received anything from you with a complaint of that nature. Had I something would have been done about it.
But secondly, there is not much effort put in to monitor the boards on the free side. Why should there be? And if I had my way you wouldn't have to worry about it because there would not be a free boards area.

Personally, I would like to see the "free" boards go away. They do not benefit us, but equally bring issues we have to deal with. ...
Sorry to see that you feel that way.

I'll plan my exit. Won't take long.

The free content, i.e posts, from Indiana fans is the valuable content. And it benefits INDIANA.

Edit: Do appreciate the efforts. And it should be paid. But I subscribed some years for a different school, then they ended the free boards, and even as a subscriber we lost a lot of good posters and the history with them. Don't want to repeat the mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark

If you were on the Premium boards you wouldn't have that worry. It would be taken care of by me personally, or someone else.

That was a lot of words to explain away paying $10 a month to support a site where you obviously spend a lot of time. He are some words to counter. While we cover more than just basketball, that sport alone is a year-round sport. I went 40 something days without a day off, After the season ended, because of basketball. We have actively been and will continue to cover the AAU circuit containing Indiana's priorities and recruiting right up through I was personally at multiple events, conducting interviews with recruits, family members, talking to coaches. That runs through July. We will have complete coverage of Indiana's TBT team and have already had multiple interviews with former Indiana players on that team. Then 6 weeks after that, the Official visits begin in September, and the season begins in October. You're either going to support the site or you're not. I just debunked your reasons for not. We would appreciate your support.

Reactions: stollcpa
Sorry to see that you feel that way.

I'll plan my exit. Won't take long.

The free content, i.e posts, from Indiana fans is the valuable content. And it benefits INDIANA.

Edit: Do appreciate the efforts. And it should be paid. But I subscribed some years for a different school, then they ended the free boards, and even as a subscriber we lost a lot of good posters and the history with them. Don't want to repeat the mistake.
The free boards are not going anywhere. I'm just not a fan of them because they cause as much if not more hassle as the Premium side.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
What an idiot, it’s just words, like close your eyes if you don’t like it!
Well I appreciate the support if that's what it's meant to be, but you're making his point. You could have made that statement without being personally derogatory, unless that was you just being facetious. I don't see the need anywhere on here for people to be personally derogatory. People can say that someone else is wrong or don't know what they talk are talking about without name calling.
Sometimes these sites are worse than road rage. But it's the same principle. The anonymity of saying whatever people want behind the facade of a username allows for no fear of serious repercussions. But only hanging out on the free side can be likened to hanging out in the bad part of any town. That is usually where the most and worst crimes happen. The premium side offers much more policing.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
That was a very reasonable post. Thank you. I tend to be very conservative with my money. I don't gamble and spend money needlessly. For one thing it has been out of necessity. I'm not good enough looking to be a tv preacher so the big bucks aren't there. lol I watch everything free I can. For instance being a Hoosier out of state, I watch Indiana high school sports on ihsaatv.org and youtube. They have a paid program where you get every single game, but I choose not to pay. If a game is under the pay wall then I just won't watch. I also read everything free I can. There is not one site I pay into. If this free board went away as Jim suggested I would just go and find a free one somewhere else.
what if everyone who goes to church was a tight ass like you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT