ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Tucker Contract Extension feels a lot like the Allen Extension

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
MSU reportedly offering Mel Tucker a 10 year 95 million dollar contract extension! I'll fully admit I don't know a ton about what Tucker did before Colorado, but given his resume since then this seems way too early. I respect what he's done this year but it's not like he is some miracle worker, MSU is historically a very solid program and he only has one standout win on his resume right now. Even that one win, feels really overhyped, they were at home, coming off a bye, against an in state rival, and were still outplayed by the Wolverines, but it wouldn't be Jim Harbaugh's Michigan team if they didn't find a way to blow their game against MSU. Not to mention they've been outplayed in 4 of their 10 games this year, Michigan(Obviously), but Nebraska, IU, and Purdue all thoroughly outplayed Sparty.

I feel like they are over offering because they are afraid he will leave for LSU/USC, we all need to pump the breaks on Mel Tucker until he gets through at least two full seasons where he's proven successful, at least CTA had 2019 to point to in addition to what was clearly a very overhyped 2020 campaign. It's not that I think he's a bad coach or will have a disaster of a season at MSU next year like IU has right now. I think he has a chance to be a phenomenal coach, but these moves seem really over aggressive, you could change one play per game against UM, IU, and Nebraska and the narrative around MSU is that they are a 6-4 team that's bounced back from 2020 well, but is still only a slightly above average big ten team. I just don't get what people see in him that makes them want to break the bank, like MSU is doing right now.

MSU reportedly offering Mel Tucker a 10 year 95 million dollar contract extension! I'll fully admit I don't know a ton about what Tucker did before Colorado, but given his resume since then this seems way too early. I respect what he's done this year but it's not like he is some miracle worker, MSU is historically a very solid program and he only has one standout win on his resume right now. Even that one win, feels really overhyped, they were at home, coming off a bye, against an in state rival, and were still outplayed by the Wolverines, but it wouldn't be Jim Harbaugh's Michigan team if they didn't find a way to blow their game against MSU. Not to mention they've been outplayed in 4 of their 10 games this year, Michigan(Obviously), but Nebraska, IU, and Purdue all thoroughly outplayed Sparty.

I feel like they are over offering because they are afraid he will leave for LSU/USC, we all need to pump the breaks on Mel Tucker until he gets through at least two full seasons where he's proven successful, at least CTA had 2019 to point to in addition to what was clearly a very overhyped 2020 campaign. It's not that I think he's a bad coach or will have a disaster of a season at MSU next year like IU has right now. I think he has a chance to be a phenomenal coach, but these moves seem really over aggressive, you could change one play per game against UM, IU, and Nebraska and the narrative around MSU is that they are a 6-4 team that's bounced back from 2020 well, but is still only a slightly above average big ten team. I just don't get what people see in him that makes them want to break the bank, like MSU is doing right now.
I think that speaks pretty loudly to what admins think of the available coaches out there (if they should lose their current one). You are also playing to a fan base and perception; "How did you let the guy who went 10-1 (or -2 or -3) go? Aren't we a big time school? Shouldn't we be able to prevent this?"

Its a huge gamble for sure. Even with it he may still leave for a "bigger" program someday.

I guess school administrators are at greater risk of being blamed for letting "THE GUY" get away. They're not accountable if this doesn't work out because some big donor will provide $ for the buy-out.

I agree that extension is ridiculous and premature.

It’s funny how all programs seem to have an endless amount of cash for extensions, but always claim to need donors to pay buyouts. It’s all optics.

Reactions: F.Fletch
It’s funny how all programs seem to have an endless amount of cash for extensions, but always claim to need donors to pay buyouts. It’s all optics.

I imagine that Uncle Sam is paying a substantial portion of these ludicrous salaries.

I imagine that Uncle Sam is paying a substantial portion of these ludicrous salaries.

take a look at your cable/satellite bill.

we're the ones paying them, like it or not.

41 channels used to be $6.95 mo.. no such spending insanity then.

that said, Uncle Sam forbids you from opting out of paying them if you want cable or satellite, because the cable/satellite providers either outright own or are the primary revenue source of all the news channels, including C-Span, and effectively the media arms of both the Dem and Pub political crime organizations..

to not have ala carte options is against all US anti competitive trade laws, and illegal in every industry but pay tv.

but the pay tv industry effectively owns and controls both parties.

sorry for the rant, but everything i said is true.

Reactions: Chriselli and mk23
LEO Allen making 4.7m$ is just poor economics. Let's look at revenues. IU plays 7 home football games, and would be thrilled to average 44k paid fans per game(never have in IU history), or 308k paid attendance. IU basketball, 18 home games at 16k paid fans per game(do this and more EVERY year), or 288k paid attendance. Football expenses are 6 or 7 times that of basketball.

IU football sucks, and hopes to be mediocre some day. IU basketball is a blueblood, and seems to be reemerging to elite. The basketball brand is worth 100x the $ of the football brand. Yet Leo A makes $4.7m and Woodson $3.5m. What gives?

LEO Allen making 4.7m$ is just poor economics. Let's look at revenues. IU plays 7 home football games, and would be thrilled to average 44k paid fans per game(never have in IU history), or 308k paid attendance. IU basketball, 18 home games at 16k paid fans per game(do this and more EVERY year), or 288k paid attendance. Football expenses are 6 or 7 times that of basketball.

IU football sucks, and hopes to be mediocre some day. IU basketball is a blueblood, and seems to be reemerging to elite. The basketball brand is worth 100x the $ of the football brand. Yet Leo A makes $4.7m and Woodson $3.5m. What gives?
Blueblood? Who is President and what year is it?

OML you are the textbook prisoner of the moment, this is why fans don't make real decisions.

laugh-laughing.gif

Reactions: CaptainZigZag

This right here is exhibit A on why Indiana football fans have a difficult time with the basketball program and its over the top bunch of supporters.

FWIW, Indiana hasn't been "elite" in bball in decades...You go 35 years without winning a title, you eventually lose that blueblood tag as well.

People like you would probably make me root for Communist China over Indiana bball. Indiana bball fans = Ohio State football fans...what a joke.

take a look at your cable/satellite bill.

we're the ones paying them, like it or not.

41 channels used to be $6.95 mo.. no such spending insanity then.

that said, Uncle Sam forbids you from opting out of paying them if you want cable or satellite, because the cable/satellite providers either outright own or are the primary revenue source of all the news channels, including C-Span, and effectively the media arms of both the Dem and Pub political crime organizations..

to not have ala carte options is against all US anti competitive trade laws, and illegal in every industry but pay tv.

but the pay tv industry effectively owns and controls both parties.

sorry for the rant, but everything i said is true.
Bingo. BTN money is everything these days. These programs are flush with cash and have plenty of money for contracts AND buyouts. Just funny how they always play poor come buyout time.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmathum

We are no more blueblood in basketball than Nebraska is in football.

Quick Mel! You better sign a contract at half time. So much for Indiana playing a top 10 team tight. 49-0 at halftime.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu

Even looks more brilliantly written after the game against OSU.

And 40 million from the BTN….

Mel tucker was instantly fired in the NFL.. he is a joke, and so is msu admin.

Mel tucker is Charlie strong

CN31bzsWwAAlxDr.jpg

How does a team get thoroughly outplayed FOUR TIMES and win all four games? Don't we keep score for a reason?

How does a team get thoroughly outplayed FOUR TIMES and win all four games? Don't we keep score for a reason?
Lol you didn't even read through the entire sentence as one of those games was the PU game, which they lost by double digits, since this thread was created Mel Tucker has really made me look bad, Sparty did great against OSU and showed they are really elite :)

Lol you didn't even read through the entire sentence as one of those games was the PU game, which they lost by double digits, since this thread was created Mel Tucker has really made me look bad, Sparty did great against OSU and showed they are really elite :)
I will give you the fact that I didn’t read your statement as clearly as I should have, but I still have never seen a team get the really outplayed three times in one season and win all three of those games. So the number of games may change but my point remains.

Keep in mind that Michigan State was two and five last year and this year they’re seven and two and 10 and two overall. I’d call that a pretty remarkable turnaround.

I will give you the fact that I didn’t read your statement as clearly as I should have, but I still have never seen a team get the really outplayed three times in one season and win all three of those games. So the number of games may change but my point remains.

Keep in mind that Michigan State was two and five last year and this year they’re seven and two and 10 and two overall. I’d call that a pretty remarkable turnaround.
Nebraska has outplayed their opponent in 7 of their 12 games, yet their 3-9, some teams don't know how to close. IU+Nebraska are two programs that have clearly shown they don't know how to close out a game. UM has never been able to consistently beat MSU, even with more talent. If you look at the stats in all three of those games it's very clear that MSU got lucky. Mel Tucker didn't create a punt return TD, a pick 6 thrown right to the defender, and a pathetic collapse on the road against a team playing in their biggest game of the season. Tucker has caught a lot of breaks this year and anyone who watches MSU knows that. I don't count a covid year where a team that was allegedly elite in 2020(IU), was the worst team in the B1G in 2021, PSU and UM also sucked last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
Nebraska has outplayed their opponent in 7 of their 12 games, yet their 3-9, some teams don't know how to close. IU+Nebraska are two programs that have clearly shown they don't know how to close out a game. UM has never been able to consistently beat MSU, even with more talent. If you look at the stats in all three of those games it's very clear that MSU got lucky. Mel Tucker didn't create a punt return TD, a pick 6 thrown right to the defender, and a pathetic collapse on the road against a team playing in their biggest game of the season. Tucker has caught a lot of breaks this year and anyone who watches MSU knows that. I don't count a covid year where a team that was allegedly elite in 2020(IU), was the worst team in the B1G in 2021, PSU and UM also sucked last year.
You and I don't speak the same language. You might "outplay" someone once and lose on a fluke. If you lose 3 or 5 or 7 games where you "outplayed" the other team, then you didn't really outplay the other team. You competed. You were close. You couldn't do the little things required to win that game, therefore, you didn't "outplay" your opponent.

Reactions: Lucy01
That’s the most true statement I’ve seen you post. Most institutions do this. Like IU screaming about budgets from the state even though they kill it on the research money end. Happens every year. Sorry service employees.. the state didn’t give us that 2% we asked for… so you won’t be getting raises and we are laying off. Now go speak to the herald times.

You and I don't speak the same language. You might "outplay" someone once and lose on a fluke. If you lose 3 or 5 or 7 games where you "outplayed" the other team, then you didn't really outplay the other team. You competed. You were close. You couldn't do the little things required to win that game, therefore, you didn't "outplay" your opponent.
Yep. It’s usually a depth problem. If you have some talented depth you can close out games. IU it seams has no depth. Especially at qb and o-line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT